Reason For Uncertainty Involving Bw3
-
Here, in my opinion is the simple reason that some say the Brandon Weeden is on thin ice as the starting QB of the Browns:
EGO.
Yes, as simple as that. It has nothing to do with his arm, or his capabilities as the potential QB of this team, or whether or not he may do well in the Chud/Norv offense.
It has all to do with Mike Lombardi's ego on 2 counts: A. Lombardi will feel that he will have to justify the previous opinion he had of BW3 that he essentially pulled out of his ass. He frequently made comments about players in his previous position there at the NFL Network just to provoke controversy...whether he believed his comments or not. By dumping Weeden without giving him a fair shake is just an ego move so that he won't be seen to have egg on his face and to have to reverse his opinion on BW3. B. Weeden simply isn't "his guy". It doesn't matter how good he is, it ONLY matters to Lombardi that he was selected by the prior regime....and QB being the most important position on the field Lombardi will want to make HIS mark with HIS guy, and he won't want to give Tom Heckert of the Walrus any kind of credit for finding and taking BW3.
He will take a schlub like Matt Moore....or Derek Anderson....or something he fishes out of the fifth round or wherever rather than admit that a guy he said was no good might actually work out....or allow a holdover from the prior group.
From everything I have read and heard about the guy, he is simply that venal as to take such a step.
It is one of the reasons why oh so many of the sportwriters/broadcasters around this town have no faith, trust, or confidence in this guy.
-
I think Lombardi was just doing his job and if he didn't like Weeden then oh well. He now has 15 nfl starts under his belt to be evaluated, as well as an offseason to compete.
-
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
-
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
without a doubt.
Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?
For some reason it wouldn't shock me.
There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.
-
man if we draft another QB this year i'm gonna fuckin puke and realize that this regime is the same regime as the last and the last one, the one before that one, and the one before that.
does anyone have any common sense?
what's another year with weeden? i mean we've only sucked for the last 20 years.
all i know is i'm getting sick of the term 'evaluation year'. it's funny how only QBs get that leeway.
-
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
without a doubt.
Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?
For some reason it wouldn't shock me.
There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.
without a doubt.
Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?
For some reason it wouldn't shock me.
There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
-
without a doubt.
Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?
For some reason it wouldn't shock me.
There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.
-
without a doubt.
Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?
For some reason it wouldn't shock me.
There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious. Like Wilson he has a very high IQ which can't hurt in his decision making in the pro league. He will
have one of the top scores in the Wonderlic tests given at the combine. Wilson was smart to stay in college for four years and got coaching that really
boosted his game. If you are looking at draft value...Wilson was a steal. Smith had good stablity in his development his last two years
at WVU with a coach(s)getting him ready for a pro style, passing based offense. The kid has great potential.
-
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious. Like Wilson he has a very high IQ which can't hurt in his decision making in the pro league. He will
have one of the top scores in the Wonderlic tests given at the combine. Wilson was smart to stay in college for four years and got coaching that really
boosted his game. If you are looking at draft value...Wilson was a steal. Smith had good stablity in his development his last two years
at WVU with a coach(s)getting him ready for a pro style, passing based offense. The kid has great potential.
-
durability always an issue. guess we will find out just how smart he is.
-
-
I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.
We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.
Mike
-
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.
Plus, he'd be eligible for SSI, so that would save some cap room.
-
Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.
I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.
Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.
Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.
I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.
But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.
Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.
Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.
-
I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.
We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.
Mike
I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.
We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.
Mike
I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.
But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.
And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.
-
We might have QUITE the QB controversy this offseason

-
Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.
I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.
But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.
Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.
Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.
I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.
But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.
Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.
Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.
Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.
The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.
So? What happened to him?
-
I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.
But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.
Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.
Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.
Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.
The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.
So? What happened to him?
Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.
The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.
So? What happened to him?
The problem was two-fold.
First, Dana Holgorsen changed the offense. The Mountaineers rushed the ball nearly 50 more times in 2012 than they did in 2011. Their rushing attack was supposed to be more of a feature and less of a supplement to Smith.
Unfortunately, West Virginia's defense was awful. They were allowing opponents to score nearly 40 points per game. With sticking to the rush and their defense being a sieve, Smith had to play from behind for a majority of last season, and forced too many passes trying to overcompensate.
Honestly, with the way their defense played, it's amazing they won as many games as they did. If Maryland and Texas had viable starting QB's, they both would have beaten West Virginia.
When your offense feels like it has to make up for the ineffectiveness of your defense, things are bound to go wrong.
Geno Smith still threw for 42 TD's to 7 INT's with a 71.2 completion percentage...in a "bad" year with a bad team.
17 TDs and 4 INT's and 1,387 yards against top 25 teams last season. I'd take him.
-
I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.
We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.
Mike
I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.
But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.
And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.
I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.
But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.
And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.
One thing for sure Gip. Haslam's no dummy, and knows there was plenty of bad karma letting Banner bring Lombardi back to Cleveland in the first place. He certainly listened to Lombardi's presser where Mike about told Tony Grossi to give him a chance. You can take it to the bank Grossi will blast Lombardi out of the water after his first screw up. So I'd say ML has about a one year trial period to show he's learned how to draft and run a personnel office. To my mind, it's going to depend on who has final say on the players- Chud or Mike.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login