Workout Warrior Frauds
-
FootballNation.com listed the Top 10 Combine Workout Warrior Frauds. These are guys that impressed someone so much that they were picked in the first round of the draft. Often very high. But they never lived up to their workout warrior status:
Ahmad Carroll 2004 Packers. Played 2 years and was cut.
Aaron Curry 2009 Seahawks. Played a couple years there, traded to Raiders, cut by them.
Darius Heyward-Bey 2009 Raiders. Still there but in 4 years has only 140 catches and 11 TDs.
Matt Jones 2005 Jaguars. Put a lot of his money up his nose and was cut.
Dimitrious Underwood 1999 Vikings. Walked out of training camp his first season claiming religion. Did come back later to play a couple of very below average years with the Cowboys before being cut.
Adam Archuleta 2001 Rams. Proved to be basically average. Knocked around for several teams in 8 year career.
Rae Carruth 1997 Panthers. WR who only caught 62 balls in a 3 year career before being convicted of the murder of his girlfriend who was pregnant. He hired a hitman to kill her so that he could avoid paying child support.
Charles Rogers 2003 Lions. Drafted #2 overall. Caught 36 balls for 440 yards in 3 year career.
Mike Mamula 2000 Eagles. Played 6 years but was decidedly below average.
Tony Mandarich 1989 Packers. #2 overall pick. Proved to be a steroid freak. Once off steroids could barely play...but did stick around for a few years as a basic backup OL.
-
Not even gonna mention, maybe the biggest one of all? Vernon Gholston? maybe even Aaron Maybin. If I recall both those two were picked in the top ten because of great combines.
-
The Bleacher Report added a few other names in this category:
Bruce Campbell OL Raiders
Chris Henry RB Titans
Ty Hill CB Rams
Yamon Figurs RB Ravens
Vernon Gholston DL Jets
A few, but not all of these were first round picks.
-
Gholtson was the first I thought of
-
-
Dontari Poe. Jumped up to 11th overall because of a 4.98 40 at 340 lbs. didn't impress me at all with the chiefs, no sacks or fumbles, not even a lot of tackles. I don't a boner from "epic" combine workouts, I try to look more at their actual play
-
The only guy on the original list I thought would be good was Curry from Wake Forest. I'm not really sure if he was a combine warrior though because he was always slotted as a high first round pick out of college. It's so interesting to see how many "can't miss" guys don't make it. I always am left to wonder if coaching, schemes, QB play etc killed guys career just as much as personal level play. For instance Gholston transitioned to OLB despite playing basically none of it at OSU. I just am always left to wonder if he went right to a 4-3 if his career would have ended differently.
-
The only guy on the original list I thought would be good was Curry from Wake Forest. I'm not really sure if he was a combine warrior though because he was always slotted as a high first round pick out of college. It's so interesting to see how many "can't miss" guys don't make it. I always am left to wonder if coaching, schemes, QB play etc killed guys career just as much as personal level play. For instance Gholston transitioned to OLB despite playing basically none of it at OSU. I just am always left to wonder if he went right to a 4-3 if his career would have ended differently.
The only guy on the original list I thought would be good was Curry from Wake Forest. I'm not really sure if he was a combine warrior though because he was always slotted as a high first round pick out of college. It's so interesting to see how many "can't miss" guys don't make it. I always am left to wonder if coaching, schemes, QB play etc killed guys career just as much as personal level play. For instance Gholston transitioned to OLB despite playing basically none of it at OSU. I just am always left to wonder if he went right to a 4-3 if his career would have ended differently.
I think the NFL is all about scheme, look at how many FA are great somewhere else then go to another team are nowhere near what they were before. Asomugha being the biggest example , hell if Brady was drafted by detroit do we ever hear about him????
-
Todd Marinovich was supposed to be all that. Didn't his father try to make him the cyborg QB?
-
Not sure if David Veikune was a workout wonder, but I still can't figure out why we drafted him in the second round ... one pick ahead of Shady McCoy.
I liked Mangini as a coach, but other than Alex Mack, that entire draft in 09 went up in smoke.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Not sure if David Veikune was a workout wonder, but I still can't figure out why we drafted him in the second round ... one pick ahead of Shady McCoy.
I liked Mangini as a coach, but other than Alex Mack, that entire draft in 09 went up in smoke.
Zombo
sad to think how great that draft could've been...
-
Zombo said:
Not sure if David Veikune was a workout wonder, but I still can't figure out why we drafted him in the second round ... one pick ahead of Shady McCoy.
I liked Mangini as a coach, but other than Alex Mack, that entire draft in 09 went up in smoke.
Zombo
sad to think how great that draft could've been...
sad to think how great that draft could've been...
What could have been:
#36 Brian Robiskie
#42 Pro Bowl Free Safety Jairus Byrd
#50 Mohammed Massaquoi
#51 Andy Levitre G or #57 Paul Kruger DE
#52 David Veikune
#53 Pro Bowl Running Back LeSean McCoy
If we had to have a WR there was always Mike Wallace who the Steelers scooped up in the third round.
Oh well. In Lombardi we trust.
Zombo
-
Oh well. In Lombardi we trust.
Scary Thought.
-
We will have to do a special category on Browns Frauds. Junkin, Charlton, Powell, Courtney Brown, Warren, Green, Quinn, etc.
I don't think Courtney Brown or Warren were frauds.
Actually, none of them were frauds. The Front Offices that drafted them were incompetent.
-
We will have to do a special category on Browns Frauds. Junkin, Charlton, Powell, Courtney Brown, Warren, Green, Quinn, etc.
I don't think Courtney Brown or Warren were frauds.
Actually, none of them were frauds. The Front Offices that drafted them were incompetent.
I don't think Courtney Brown or Warren were frauds.
Actually, none of them were frauds. The Front Offices that drafted them were incompetent.
OK, they weren't "Frauds". How about "Busts"? Is that terminology better?
And sure, those bust hurt the reps of the guys picking them....but, you have to ask yourself, if the Browns had not taken all these guys where they did, would they have fallen way further down the draft list? Probably not. If the Browns say, didn't take Courtney Brown #1, then it is highly probable that he would have gone #2 or 3.
So, in reality, everyone misses on a lot of these.
Just like everyone missed at least 5 times on Tom Brady....including the Pats.
-
Barkavius Mingo is going to blow up the combine. He's an athletic freak who will show everyone up. The problem is, he isn't that good. He will fly up draft boards and will be an average at best player.
-
Barkavius Mingo is going to blow up the combine. He's an athletic freak who will show everyone up. The problem is, he isn't that good. He will fly up draft boards and will be an average at best player.
Barkavius Mingo is going to blow up the combine. He's an athletic freak who will show everyone up. The problem is, he isn't that good. He will fly up draft boards and will be an average at best player.
Anyone can turn out to be a bust, but what makes you say he isn't that good? OC's had to go out of their way to plan for this guy from what I hear. From what I saw of him the past couple of years he should be pretty damn good at the pro level
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login