The Gippers
-
This is the list of movies that were released in 2012 that I saw...at the movies. It is probably a lot less than in most years:
Man on a Ledge
Act of Valor
Project X
Jump Street
Hunger Games
Mirror Mirror
The Three Stooges
The Raven
The Avengers
Dark Shadows
Battleship
Men In Black 3
Snow White and the Huntsman
Prometheus
Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer
The Dark Knight Rises
Total Recall
The Expendables 2
The Master
Looper
Taken 2
Argo
Skyfall
Man with the Iron Fist
Lincoln
Twilight Part 4
Red Dawn
Rise of the Guardians
Hitchcock
The Hobbit
Zero Dark 30
Django
I will give my own "Gipper" Awards in a few categories:
Best Movie: Argo. Takes it because of all the reasons it won the Oscar.
...Runnerup: Lincoln.
Worst Movie: Taken 2. As much as I like Liam Neeson, and as much as I liked Taken, this one was just a fucking mess of a movie. The directing and editing was piss poor.
....Runnerup: Twilight Part 4. (I am not as down on this series as many men, but this movie caused the entire franchise to go out with a whimper instead of a bang)
Best "Remake": Not a remake of a particular movie, but of a series: The Three Stooges. The portrayals were spot on.
...Runnerup: Dark Shadows. Perfect venue for Burton/Depp et all.
Worst Remake: Red Dawn. Its bad enough they tried to do essentially a Cold War movie 20 years after the Cold War ended, but in this case they completed truncated the entire plot, as if they got bored and didn't want to make any more of it. I guess that was OK because I didn't want to see much more.
....Runnerup: Total Recall. It was just OK at best. Not as good by any means as the original
Most Fun at the Movies: The Hobbit. The one movie I definitely want to see again
...Runnerup: Skyfall. Hey, it JB. And one of the more entertaining plots in decades of the JB franchise
Movie that I liked that No One else did: Battleship. Seeing the USS Missouri in action was great as far as I was concerned.
...Runnerup: The Hunger Games. Many "men" scoff at this series. Not me. I like it. I have read the books and liked the movie.
Most Disappointing: The Dark Knight Rises. Maybe I will have to see it again to get a better feel for it, but I didn't like the plotting or the pacing of this movie. And I thought they did an absolute disservice to have the villain in that mask with a disembodied voice. It was no Darth Vader. What a disappointment after Heath Ledger's Joker. But I did like Anne Hathaway as Catwoman.
Runnerup: The Avengers. I think having too many Superheros doesn't work well, especially when half the movie is just blowing shit up....thus causing the plot to suffer.
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis, no doubt. What an incredible portrayal of an American Icon
....Runnerup: Anthony Hopkins as Hitcock. Third place: John Cusack as Edgar Allen Poe
Best Supporting Actor: Fuck it: 3 way tie: Cristoph Waltz/Leonardo Dicaprio for Django and Phillip Seymour Hoffman for The Master
Best Actress: Jessica Chastain. Zero Dark Thirty. Though I was a little disappointed by the overall movie, it was not because of her performance.
...Runnerup: Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss in the Hunger Games. She won the Oscar for a different movie that I haven't seen. She must be really good in that as I liked her a lot in this.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login