Skip to content

Fairness Et Cetera

Political Discussion
6 4 364
  • Something occurred today while watching the international news.

    As much as we cry and moan about everything needing to be fair it made me think of our miserable legal system.

    The girl in Italy who was charged with murder, acquitted and recently re charged will now be on the hook, or at least her family, for many many more thousands of dollars and inconvenience.

    Not a lot different here in America.

    You can basically he charged with anything with very little reason, although not 0.

    And your right to defend yourself in court usually means you have to bankrupt yourself even if you are innocent.

    The state doesn't really care since their attorneys are paid by tax money, but not yours.

    And I'm not sure but you don't get a public defender unless you are nearly destitute, is that right?

    And then you get someone who's, let's say, not near the cream of his crop professionally.

    And because defending or prosecuting is more of a dog and pony show than a search for truth doesn't that offend anybody?

    WSS

  • Our justice system is being used and abused by trashy people who want to win the lottery

    in any kind of lawsuit they could win. I've heard those type of scams happen all the time. For money.

    And American Corporate management is all too often just as greedy, and will manipulate

    things to get big bonuses - like firing a lot of employees, only to dump on the rest to take up the slack..

    for big bonuses. That's their way of "winning the lottery..."

    Honesty and family values have gone out the window, along with honor, all too often. Unions

    have done the same thing on the flip side.

    When does it all end? If ever?

  • but double jeopardy is not legal here - and Knox isnt in custody, extradition should be ignored imo... screw you Italy!

  • but double jeopardy is not legal here - and Knox isnt in custody, extradition should be ignored imo... screw you Italy!

    @fairhooker11 said:

    but double jeopardy is not legal here - and Knox isnt in custody, extradition should be ignored imo... screw you Italy!

    I'm not so sure about her innocence as you are. She was convicted of murder the first time, and the appeal court overruled it. I've read a lot about it and think she may have done it. The fact that it is a foreign country should have no bearing as far as I'm concerned. It was a horrible crime.

  • I'm not necessarily talking about her guilt or innocence.

    Here in the US if 1 is actually innocent until proven guilty, ha ha, you shouldn't have to bankrupt yourself for your defense.

    It seems to me you lose either way, guilty or not.

    WSS

  • @fairhooker11 said:

    but double jeopardy is not legal here - and Knox isnt in custody, extradition should be ignored imo... screw you Italy!

    I'm not so sure about her innocence as you are. She was convicted of murder the first time, and the appeal court overruled it. I've read a lot about it and think she may have done it. The fact that it is a foreign country should have no bearing as far as I'm concerned. It was a horrible crime.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I'm not so sure about her innocence as you are. She was convicted of murder the first time, and the appeal court overruled it. I've read a lot about it and think she may have done it. The fact that it is a foreign country should have no bearing as far as I'm concerned. It was a horrible crime.

    I agree-any murder is horrible, .. and even worse was the prosecutions bungling of the investigation -

    many handlers of the necklace from the victim (i dont recall her name) wrecking the DNA evidence...

    but thats the about how much I know about this, I dont know aboout her innocence....

    But to the OP it will be expen$ive being drawn out for many years?

    And is Knox's family a money bag from which to draw from?