Skip to content

Mccoy Traded

The Browns Board
81 34 4.8k
  • Shit.

    I miss Colt McCoy.

  • @miktoxic said:

    why would we use any picks this year to draft a QB? that makes no sense whatsoever, especially considering this thread title.

    2014 is where we would have to set our sights on a QB considering banner just went all in on weeden and campbell and be damned if you don't like it.

    Good point but there's a big IF. I'm pretty sure there not gonna grab just any QB, but IF its the 5th and IF a QB prospect falls, then why not take him in and prep him a year instead of drafting a rookie next year who won't be quite as ready.

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Good point but there's a big IF. I'm pretty sure there not gonna grab just any QB, but IF its the 5th and IF a QB prospect falls, then why not take him in and prep him a year instead of drafting a rookie next year who won't be quite as ready.

    i here ya.

    my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

    maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

    really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

  • Shit.

    I miss Colt McCoy.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Shit.

    I miss Colt McCoy.

    What? Like a bad hemorrhoid? 🙂

  • I'll laugh when Kaepernick gets injured runnig out of the pocket and McCoy starts and leads them to a SB under the guidence of someone that actually knows how to groom and facillitate QB's...good luck Colt...you never got a fair shake...but...you'll get yours eventually.

    @nickers said:

    I'll laugh when Kaepernick gets injured runnig out of the pocket and McCoy starts and leads them to a SB under the guidence of someone that actually knows how to groom and facillitate QB's...good luck Colt...you never got a fair shake...but...you'll get yours eventually.

    SF and I think shefter and Jason la canfora is saying Colt might not even be able to beat out Tolzien
  • I doubt McCoy makes the roster. He will be cut before August.

  • I'm on the side of the guys who root for the underdog.

    I'd imagine my favorite Browns player of all time was Brian Sipe.

    Tell ya the truth this new system every year and new quarterback every year is just a pain in my ass. Almost like trying to wind a NASCAR race by pulling over every 3 laps to switch drivers.

    If we could possibly get some consistency here over the next few years, who knows maybe...

    If not we will suck for another 5 years until truck stop Jimmy packs up and heads for San Antonio.

    WSS

  • What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

  • Unbelievable how many homos love a shitty back up qb and glorify him. For what? Yeah he played hard and had heart. He got paid big boy bucks to do it too. I don't feel an ounce of sorrow for him but I don't wish him bad either. Back up qb gone, farewell

  • What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is. JRB

    **************************************************

    No, I don't believe people said the same things about those other players, ever. And Colt didn't have a viable right tackle. Truth is, he got the Bernie Kosar treatment,

    bashed into a half second after taking snaps, no short striding, get open fast wr's, and yeah, he didn't have a strong arm. Testeverde did. He sucked. DA sure did,

    and he sucked too.

    Colt didn't have the big arm, though he had everything else.

    Several of us said that about Kosar, back in the day. All beaten up, broken fingers, wrists and elbow healed up as much as possible, he went on to play in a championship game

    for Dallas, after only so many days with his new team, played most of the second half, and won the game when Aikman was hurt, out of the game. And Kosar did get his super bowl ring.

    In other words, immobile or not, the Browns should have been drafting offensive linemen to protect any qb they had. Bernie Kosar got the hell beaten out of him. And, it wasn't

    all about being imoobile, either - it was lack of offensive line blocking. Colt was bigtime mobile, and he often had no chance in hell of running a play unless it was to the left side.

    Brian Sipe didn't have a huge arm either. But he had receivers, and an oline that did the job, even if Dieken did have to hold every so often....

    Here, btw, is a nice 2010 article on Kosar....

    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/08/in_second_half_of_his_life_for.html

  • You know what I think it is, this "loving a shitty QB" or whatever? Maybe it's the fact that for years and years we've been a shitty team. We've listened to Front Office after Front Office come in here and proclaim that they're going to "right the ship", they're going to make us contenders. Oh, or how they are going to make football relevant again in NE Ohio. That they have a plan. That this time it's going to be different, they want to return the Browns to their former glory... and we all get to watch them blow it all up, over and over again.

    Watching the Browns is just not very enjoyable. It's a nerve-wrecking experience week-in and week-out. Regardless of the ineptitude of the opponent the Browns won't put them away. They let them hang in the game until they find a way to lose it, except when we accidentally win every once in a while. A lot of people on this board and all over the place say, "winning is all that matters". Well, to that I say that you're full of crap. If winning was all that mattered to you then you wouldn't be here rooting for the Browns. If winning was the only thing you were interested in and all that you cared about then you would be a fan of a team that is constantly in the Playoff Picture. Or maybe, you would go off the deep end completely and you would be like the other countless Ohioans who went rouge and became "Steeler Fans".

    Maybe it's that we've become accustomed to losing so much that we have come to expect it. In the very least we have come to accept it, to prepare for it. We are always rebuilding, always in the "process". We prepare ourselves season after season of having a losing record so that by chance if we made it to .500 we could have something to look forward to- as if to say to our rivals- "Look at us, we broke even, we are not losers anymore"!

    Though the years I've come to face the facts that this ship that we are all on just isn't very good; it leaks and needs constant repair. Every plan or "treasure map" turn out to be a wild goose chase for "fool's gold" right to the bottom of the Pacific. The captain either abandons ship or is thrown overboard into shark infested waters. We have a broken compass onboard that will not allow us to escape from the Bermuda Triangle and we've been going in circles for what seems like forever. Every free agent that signed on the dotted-line was some old, weather-beaten veteran looking for that one last voyage before being laid to rest at sea.

    Instead of winning it became "progress" or "moral victories". You know, winning is as important to me as you say it is to you, but here's the difference. During my tenure of being a Browns Fan I have started looking for something other than winning, since that is the rare occasion, to place my hope in. I came to understand that in every contest there will be a winner and a loser in every game, and that if we can't win, I at least want us to go down fighting. I expect to see some passion for the game and in some small measure, in the eyes of our players, pain in defeat. We want players that want to be here, that believe that the community is as important as the play on the field, players that embrace the "underdog" mentality and above all, players that play from the heart. I saw those things in players like Vickers, Jurevicius, Josh Cribbs and Colt McCoy. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but I can find no wrong in supporting players with traits and values such as these.

    I agree that having big guns or being big in general are both things you can't teach, but playing with passion or heart cannot be taught either. I have a certain code that I will always stand by, and if it comes down to size or heart, I'll always lean towards the latter. Goliath was big, David was not... and we all know how that turned out. So, you can joke or laugh to your hearts content but the biggest joke of all was played on the Cleveland Browns, as we were robbed of a quality individual, a leader on and off the field, an excellent role model for our children, a player that gave us 100% and someone that to me, was more important than some meaningless win we probably weren't going to get anyways. God bless you guys and I only hope that they can find more players like Colt McCoy that can attempt to try and fill the vast void that will be left in his absence. 🙁

  • What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is. JRB

    **************************************************

    No, I don't believe people said the same things about those other players, ever. And Colt didn't have a viable right tackle. Truth is, he got the Bernie Kosar treatment,

    bashed into a half second after taking snaps, no short striding, get open fast wr's, and yeah, he didn't have a strong arm. Testeverde did. He sucked. DA sure did,

    and he sucked too.

    Colt didn't have the big arm, though he had everything else.

    Several of us said that about Kosar, back in the day. All beaten up, broken fingers, wrists and elbow healed up as much as possible, he went on to play in a championship game

    for Dallas, after only so many days with his new team, played most of the second half, and won the game when Aikman was hurt, out of the game. And Kosar did get his super bowl ring.

    In other words, immobile or not, the Browns should have been drafting offensive linemen to protect any qb they had. Bernie Kosar got the hell beaten out of him. And, it wasn't

    all about being imoobile, either - it was lack of offensive line blocking. Colt was bigtime mobile, and he often had no chance in hell of running a play unless it was to the left side.

    Brian Sipe didn't have a huge arm either. But he had receivers, and an oline that did the job, even if Dieken did have to hold every so often....

    Here, btw, is a nice 2010 article on Kosar....

    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/08/in_second_half_of_his_life_for.html

    @calfoxwc said:

    What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is. JRB

    **************************************************

    No, I don't believe people said the same things about those other players, ever. And Colt didn't have a viable right tackle. Truth is, he got the Bernie Kosar treatment,

    bashed into a half second after taking snaps, no short striding, get open fast wr's, and yeah, he didn't have a strong arm. Testeverde did. He sucked. DA sure did,

    and he sucked too.

    Colt didn't have the big arm, though he had everything else.

    Several of us said that about Kosar, back in the day. All beaten up, broken fingers, wrists and elbow healed up as much as possible, he went on to play in a championship game

    for Dallas, after only so many days with his new team, played most of the second half, and won the game when Aikman was hurt, out of the game. And Kosar did get his super bowl ring.

    In other words, immobile or not, the Browns should have been drafting offensive linemen to protect any qb they had. Bernie Kosar got the hell beaten out of him. And, it wasn't

    all about being imoobile, either - it was lack of offensive line blocking. Colt was bigtime mobile, and he often had no chance in hell of running a play unless it was to the left side.

    Brian Sipe didn't have a huge arm either. But he had receivers, and an oline that did the job, even if Dieken did have to hold every so often....

    Here, btw, is a nice 2010 article on Kosar....

    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2010/08/in_second_half_of_his_life_for.html

    All I can say is you must have severely looked past the numerous forums on here and articles about the guys saying the same crap about the previous QB's and "not getting a fair chance". Maybe not as much for DA, but good lord Quinn had a whole gay following for goodness sake.

  • For what it's worth, a little play with the draft pick calculator tells us that the value of the 5th and 7th round picks we got from SF is 28.5, and our 6th was 23.2 - overall value of Colt McCoy in the draft was evidently 5.3, or something like a mid-high 7th round pick.

    Also, not sure if it's already been posted but there was apparently a second team interested in Colt. Just rumours, obviously.

  • What's interesting is that Truckstop Jimmy really liked Colt but he didn't meddle and let his football people keep who they wanted, that's a good sign.

    Zombo

  • @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Good point but there's a big IF. I'm pretty sure there not gonna grab just any QB, but IF its the 5th and IF a QB prospect falls, then why not take him in and prep him a year instead of drafting a rookie next year who won't be quite as ready.

    i here ya.

    my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

    maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

    really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

    @miktoxic said:

    i here ya.

    my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

    maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

    really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

    Our team hasn't been as complete as it is now since I've been watching every game(2007), so any quarterbacks we've had didn't stand quite nearly the chance that Weeden and any quarterback will have to win some games with this team next year and in the future

  • @miktoxic said:

    i here ya.

    my thought is if we find out this year that weeden isn't the guy, mccoy has been traded.....kinda tells me that homlgren really fucked us in his guru thinking that he could catch lightning in a bottle again...and totally failed.

    maybe this FO can find that diamond in a rough with a late round pick? don't know. just hate the draft misses we have had since '99 for that position.

    really hoping weeden WILL do it. if not, then 2014 best QB available, if not trade up to get our next kosar or sipe.

    Our team hasn't been as complete as it is now since I've been watching every game(2007), so any quarterbacks we've had didn't stand quite nearly the chance that Weeden and any quarterback will have to win some games with this team next year and in the future

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    Our team hasn't been as complete as it is now since I've been watching every game(2007), so any quarterbacks we've had didn't stand quite nearly the chance that Weeden and any quarterback will have to win some games with this team next year and in the future

    That is very true. And I think this is why without question we will know this year wether or not Weeden can play in the NFL. He has some skill players to work with, a good RB, good OL and one of the best offensive play callers in the business and a coach who wants to run an offense around his skills.

    If Weeden fails this year, he's done in the NFL pretty quickly.

  • What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

    @jrb12711 said:

    What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

    i think the people that said colt will go on to win a super bowl are joking.

    i also think you must be joking to think anyone thought or said the same about the list of QBs you mentioned.

    how was couch going to go on to win the super bowl when his shoulder is still buried on the home side 20 yard line of the CBS?

  • @jrb12711 said:

    What's laughable is how many times I've heard this same old line. What if he goes on and wins a Super Bowl? People said the same crap about couch, holcombe, frye, Anderson, Quinn, etc. face it: the browns have drafted a bunch of dud QBs with backup potential. I wouldn't doubt if colt does okay should he be put it in a game. But backup QBs don't take teams to the playoffs each year. Colt mcCoy had a chance to prove his worth and he was just not good enough. I don't see how hard that is.

    i think the people that said colt will go on to win a super bowl are joking.

    i also think you must be joking to think anyone thought or said the same about the list of QBs you mentioned.

    how was couch going to go on to win the super bowl when his shoulder is still buried on the home side 20 yard line of the CBS?

    @miktoxic said:

    i think the people that said colt will go on to win a super bowl are joking.

    i also think you must be joking to think anyone thought or said the same about the list of QBs you mentioned.

    how was couch going to go on to win the super bowl when his shoulder is still buried on the home side 20 yard line?

    History shows that the Super Bowl losing team will not be winning the Super Bowl this year. Such a thing has not happened since the first couple of years of the AFL/NFL merger.

  • @mike-h said:

    Browns had two 6's... now have 2 5's, 1 6 and 1 7... much better than releasing him!

    /close the McCoy thread, the fat lady has sung.

    A whole lot better than releasing him. We got at least something that might turn into something useful for someone who had no future with the Browns.

    win win for everyone..

    @mark-o said:

    A whole lot better than releasing him. We got at least something that might turn into something useful for someone who had no future with the Browns.

    win win for everyone..

    Pretty sneaky by Banner. I remember a statement from him that the Browns had no interest in releasing any of their QBs, and then a few days later this happened. I am pretty sure that we got Billy Winn in the 5th last year. Hopefully we can do it again with an ILB or OG this year.

  • You know what I think it is, this "loving a shitty QB" or whatever? Maybe it's the fact that for years and years we've been a shitty team. We've listened to Front Office after Front Office come in here and proclaim that they're going to "right the ship", they're going to make us contenders. Oh, or how they are going to make football relevant again in NE Ohio. That they have a plan. That this time it's going to be different, they want to return the Browns to their former glory... and we all get to watch them blow it all up, over and over again.

    Watching the Browns is just not very enjoyable. It's a nerve-wrecking experience week-in and week-out. Regardless of the ineptitude of the opponent the Browns won't put them away. They let them hang in the game until they find a way to lose it, except when we accidentally win every once in a while. A lot of people on this board and all over the place say, "winning is all that matters". Well, to that I say that you're full of crap. If winning was all that mattered to you then you wouldn't be here rooting for the Browns. If winning was the only thing you were interested in and all that you cared about then you would be a fan of a team that is constantly in the Playoff Picture. Or maybe, you would go off the deep end completely and you would be like the other countless Ohioans who went rouge and became "Steeler Fans".

    Maybe it's that we've become accustomed to losing so much that we have come to expect it. In the very least we have come to accept it, to prepare for it. We are always rebuilding, always in the "process". We prepare ourselves season after season of having a losing record so that by chance if we made it to .500 we could have something to look forward to- as if to say to our rivals- "Look at us, we broke even, we are not losers anymore"!

    Though the years I've come to face the facts that this ship that we are all on just isn't very good; it leaks and needs constant repair. Every plan or "treasure map" turn out to be a wild goose chase for "fool's gold" right to the bottom of the Pacific. The captain either abandons ship or is thrown overboard into shark infested waters. We have a broken compass onboard that will not allow us to escape from the Bermuda Triangle and we've been going in circles for what seems like forever. Every free agent that signed on the dotted-line was some old, weather-beaten veteran looking for that one last voyage before being laid to rest at sea.

    Instead of winning it became "progress" or "moral victories". You know, winning is as important to me as you say it is to you, but here's the difference. During my tenure of being a Browns Fan I have started looking for something other than winning, since that is the rare occasion, to place my hope in. I came to understand that in every contest there will be a winner and a loser in every game, and that if we can't win, I at least want us to go down fighting. I expect to see some passion for the game and in some small measure, in the eyes of our players, pain in defeat. We want players that want to be here, that believe that the community is as important as the play on the field, players that embrace the "underdog" mentality and above all, players that play from the heart. I saw those things in players like Vickers, Jurevicius, Josh Cribbs and Colt McCoy. I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong, but I can find no wrong in supporting players with traits and values such as these.

    I agree that having big guns or being big in general are both things you can't teach, but playing with passion or heart cannot be taught either. I have a certain code that I will always stand by, and if it comes down to size or heart, I'll always lean towards the latter. Goliath was big, David was not... and we all know how that turned out. So, you can joke or laugh to your hearts content but the biggest joke of all was played on the Cleveland Browns, as we were robbed of a quality individual, a leader on and off the field, an excellent role model for our children, a player that gave us 100% and someone that to me, was more important than some meaningless win we probably weren't going to get anyways. God bless you guys and I only hope that they can find more players like Colt McCoy that can attempt to try and fill the vast void that will be left in his absence. 🙁

    @poeticg said:

    a quality individual, a leader on and off the field, an excellent role model for our children, a player that gave us 100%

    Perhaps a player by the name of Joe Thomas, named one of the three finalists for the 2013 Walter Camp Award which Witten won, can somehow fill that bottomless chasm. Also, he's the best player in the NFL at his position for the 8th year in a row.. I'm pretty sure he gives about 95% of his maximum possible effort.

    I'm still the chief engineer of the round 7 Ryan Griffin [QB/Tulane] train.. he may not be an All-Pro, but he'll be a cheaper and more productive backup than Campbell.

  • @mark-o said:

    A whole lot better than releasing him. We got at least something that might turn into something useful for someone who had no future with the Browns.

    win win for everyone..

    Pretty sneaky by Banner. I remember a statement from him that the Browns had no interest in releasing any of their QBs, and then a few days later this happened. I am pretty sure that we got Billy Winn in the 5th last year. Hopefully we can do it again with an ILB or OG this year.

    @daninnyc said:

    Pretty sneaky by Banner. I remember a statement from him that the Browns had no interest in releasing any of their QBs, and then a few days later this happened. I am pretty sure that we got Billy Winn in the 5th last year. Hopefully we can do it again with an ILB or OG this year.

    Well, they didn't release any QB, they traded him, which they said they were willing to do.