Skip to content

Team Name Trivia

The Browns Board
19 5 1.2k
  • @the-gipper said:

    4 is wrong. 5 is right. Packers, not Bears. And you wanna recheck your answer to 10? Last time I looked the Cubs didn't play basketball.

    LOL I read it wrong I thought it said MLB

    @tampadawgs said:

    LOL I read it wrong I thought it said MLB

    OK, well the Cubs are wrong anyway for MLB.

  • Maybe, not the Suns.. can I change that to the New York Knicks?

    @poeticg said:

    Maybe, not the Suns.. can I change that to the New York Knicks?

    You too cited the wrong question. I believe you meant 10 and not 11.

    Nevertheless, the Celtics and Knicks are correct.

  • TampaDawg: my source was College Football reference, which had OSU beginning later than 1890.

    I don't know why there is a discrepancy.

  • so your saying everything I read on the internet is not true... What is going on with the world wide web!!!!!!

  • I know I said I wouldn't do trivia during the mock draft...but I couldn't resist. So here is some trivia regarding team names...in all major sports:

    1. What current major league team (NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB) was at one time known as the Packers then the Zephyrs?

    2. What current major league team was at one time known as the Scouts then the Rockies?

    3. What current major league team was at one time known as the Spartans?

    4. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bees, Rustlers, Doves?

    5. What current major league team was at one time known as the Grays and Atlantics and Robins and Superbas?

    6. What current major league team was at one time known as the Cougars then the Falcons?

    7. What current major league team was at one time known as the Arenas then the St. Patricks?

    8. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bronchos and the Blues?

    9. Which NFL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    10. Which 2 NBA teams have now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    11. Which NHL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    12. Which MLB team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    Bonus: Following is an alphabetical list of the now 14 teams of the Big Ten. Following that is a list of years. Match the school with the year that the school began playing football:

    Illinois

    Indiana

    Iowa

    Maryland

    Michigan

    Michigan St.

    Minnesota

    Nebraska

    Northwestern

    Ohio St.

    Penn St.

    Purdue

    Rutgers

    Wisconsin

    Years:

    1869

    1881

    1889

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1899

    1899

    1900

    1904

    1917

    1918

    @the-gipper said:

    I know I said I wouldn't do trivia during the mock draft...but I couldn't resist. So here is some trivia regarding team names...in all major sports:

    1. What current major league team (NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB) was at one time known as the Packers then the Zephyrs?

    2. What current major league team was at one time known as the Scouts then the Rockies?

    3. What current major league team was at one time known as the Spartans?

    4. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bees, Rustlers, Doves?

    5. What current major league team was at one time known as the Grays and Atlantics and Robins and Superbas?

    6. What current major league team was at one time known as the Cougars then the Falcons?

    7. What current major league team was at one time known as the Arenas then the St. Patricks?

    8. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bronchos and the Blues?

    Cleveland Indians

    9. Which NFL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    Chicago Bears

    10. Which 2 NBA teams have now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    Celtics & Knicks

    11. Which NHL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    Detroit Red Wings

    12. Which MLB team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    Bonus: Following is an alphabetical list of the now 14 teams of the Big Ten. Following that is a list of years. Match the school with the year that the school began playing football:

    Illinois

    Indiana

    Iowa

    Maryland

    Michigan

    Michigan St.

    Minnesota

    Nebraska

    Northwestern

    Ohio St.

    Penn St.

    Purdue

    Rutgers

    Wisconsin

    Years:

    1869

    1881

    1889

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1899

    1899

    1900

    1904

    1917

    1918

  • Bob, of the ones you answered only 8 and 10 are correct.

  • so your saying everything I read on the internet is not true... What is going on with the world wide web!!!!!!

    @tampadawgs said:

    so your saying everything I read on the internet is not true... What is going on with the world wide web!!!!!!

    Well, here is a wiki link that documents each OSU season going back to 1890. So, I can only surmise this is correct and not College Football reference.

    What can I say>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ohio_State_Buckeyes_football_seasons

  • 2/ New Jersey Devils

    7/ Toronto Maple Leafs

    9/ Green Bay Packers

  • 2/ New Jersey Devils

    7/ Toronto Maple Leafs

    9/ Green Bay Packers

    88fingerslewy said:

    2/ New Jersey Devils

    7/ Toronto Maple Leafs

    9/ Green Bay Packers

    These are all correct.

  • I know I said I wouldn't do trivia during the mock draft...but I couldn't resist. So here is some trivia regarding team names...in all major sports:

    Answers:

    1. What current major league team (NBA/NHL/NFL/MLB) was at one time known as the Packers then the Zephyrs?

    The NBA's Washington Wizards have been known at various times as the Chicago Packers, Chicago Zephyrs, Baltimore Bullets, Washington Bullets.

    2. What current major league team was at one time known as the Scouts then the Rockies?

    NHL New Jersey Devils were the Kansas City Scouts and the Colorado Rockies...which name they gave to the baseball team there.

    3. What current major league team was at one time known as the Spartans?

    Detroit Lions fka Portsmouth Spartans

    4. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bees, Rustlers, Doves?

    The Atlanta Braves had all these names when they were in Boston.

    5. What current major league team was at one time known as the Grays and Atlantics and Robins and Superbas?

    The Los Angeles Dodgers when they were in Brooklyn

    6. What current major league team was at one time known as the Cougars then the Falcons?

    The Detroit Redwings

    7. What current major league team was at one time known as the Arenas then the St. Patricks?

    The Toronto Maple Leafs

    8. What current major league team was at one time known as the Bronchos and the Blues?

    The Cleveland Indians. Also known as the Naps.

    (The Indians franchise was never The Spiders, that was a different NL franchise)

    9. Which NFL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    The Green Bay Packers have been known as that since 1921.

    Note: the Chicago Bears did not become The Bears until 1922. In 1920 they were the Decatur Staleys, in 1921 the Chicago Staleys, and became Bears in 1922.

    The "Cardinals" is the longest name in use...but of course the Cardinals have moved first to St. Louis now to Ariz.

    10. Which 2 NBA teams have now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    The New York Knicks and the Boston Celtics have had those name since their respective formations in the NBA in 1946.

    11. Which NHL team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    The Montreal Canadiens by far have had the same name the longest. They were called that at the formation of the NHL...but had that name going even much further back to the 1800s.

    12. Which MLB team has now been in the same city with the same name for the longest time?

    The Philadelphia Phillies have gone by that name continuously since 1890.

    Second on the list is the Pittsburgh Pirates since 1891.

    The Cincinnati Reds WOULD have been tied with the Phillies with a name start date in 1890...but...they officially changed their name to the Redlegs from 1954 to 1958, but then changed back to the Reds in 1959.

    Bonus: Following is an alphabetical list of the now 14 teams of the Big Ten. Following that is a list of years. Match the school with the year that the school began playing football:

    I am just going to blow this up since there is conflicting information. Suffice it to say that Rutgers has been playing the longest since 1869, and Michigan St. the shortest since 1918.

    Illinois

    Indiana

    Iowa

    Maryland

    Michigan

    Michigan St.

    Minnesota

    Nebraska

    Northwestern

    Ohio St.

    Penn St.

    Purdue

    Rutgers

    Wisconsin

    Years:

    1869

    1881

    1889

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1892

    1899

    1899

    1900

    1904

    1917

    1918