Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Political Discussion
  3. Teen's Eats Only Ramen Noodles Has Health Of 80 Yr Old

Teen's Eats Only Ramen Noodles Has Health Of 80 Yr Old

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Political Discussion
6 Posts 5 Posters 1.0k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
    • 28k Posts
    • 6k Reputation
    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #1

    Teen's Strange Ramen Addiction

    By Elise Solé, Shine Staff | Healthy Living – 2 hours 56 minutes ago

    • Ramen-style noodles, a staple in the pantry of broke college students, has been the mainstay of one teenager's diet for the past 13 years, according to an article in the New York Daily News.

    Georgi Readman, 18, of the Isle of Wight, U.K., refuses to eat fruit and vegetables and exists solely on packaged noodle soup, a snack that often contains high amounts of fat, saturated fat, and sodium. One package typically boasts 400 calories and 20 grams of fat.

    Readman, who is 5'3'' and 98 pounds, told the Daily News that she became hooked on the noodles when she was five-years-old and her mother still buys her packages by the dozens. She estimates eating 30 miles of noodles per year and the thought of eating anything else makes her sick.

    "I hate the texture of fruit and vegetables," she said. "I can't go to my friends' for dinner or go out for meals because I don't want them to see me freak out if the side salad touches the stuff I eat. Mum goes to the supermarket and brings back as many packets as she can afford. I always fancy noodles and could easily eat two packets at once. I've even eaten them dry and uncooked before!"

    Many children develop picky eating patterns after they turn one because their bodies naturally need less food and their taste buds change so they become more opinionated and selective about what they eat. Plus, at that age they're often on the go so it can be hard to get them to sit down for properly balanced meals. And although parents might give in to the demands of their children because it's easier than arguing about food, one recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that 78 percent of picky eating habits can be attributed to genetics (only 22 percent are caused by environmental factors).

    Readman could not be reached for comment but according to her doctors, she is malnourished and has the health of an 80 year old.

    "That sounds like an accurate assessment," says Lisa Kaufman, a pediatrician at Village Pediatrics who has not treated Readman. "A diet of instant noodles has likely wreaked incredible amounts of havoc on her organs. The body—especially one that's still developing—needs protein, minerals, and nutrients to grow; that's just basic common sense. Without it, this girl has probably suffered stunted growth and IQ, osteoporosis, heart and kidney damage, and high blood pressure. Her lifespan has likely been shortened as well."

    Kaufman adds, "Kids would eat ice cream every day if they could but it's the parent's responsibility to broaden their palates, introducing various foods and textures to them."

    At 18 years old, Readman's eating habits are so ingrained that it would likely take a major mental and physical overhaul to improve her health. "In order to get off the noodles, she may need hospitalization and an education in nutrition," says Kaufman.

    "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • MLD Woody MLD WoodyM Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Reacting Well One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
      • 33k Posts
      • 3k Reputation
      MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Damn

      I'm gonna go make some Ramen

      Ja.brill Peppers - Cleveland Brown OldBrownsFan, on 02 Jun 2017 - 5:09PM said: "No you are not the work of the devil but you are deceived by the devil." Who's got it better than us? Nooooobody!
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 6k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I read this backwards at first. I thought an 80 year old who only ate Ramen had the health of a teen.

        AA3DEAC683747CD68E8E6716EB2117_h316_w628_m5_cScCdDKeT.jpg

        She looks healthier than I expected, but her physiology must be all whacked out. I bet her blood pressure is through the roof with all that sodium.

        I wonder how many people have selective eating disorders that are this severe. I had the same thing with all veggies as a kid, grew out of most of that by the time I got to college, but some of it still sticks around. The gag reflex triggers if I have a raw carrot anywhere near my mouth. Same thing with pickles and mustard.

        DieHardBrownsFanD 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • VaporTrailV VaporTrail

          I read this backwards at first. I thought an 80 year old who only ate Ramen had the health of a teen.

          AA3DEAC683747CD68E8E6716EB2117_h316_w628_m5_cScCdDKeT.jpg

          She looks healthier than I expected, but her physiology must be all whacked out. I bet her blood pressure is through the roof with all that sodium.

          I wonder how many people have selective eating disorders that are this severe. I had the same thing with all veggies as a kid, grew out of most of that by the time I got to college, but some of it still sticks around. The gag reflex triggers if I have a raw carrot anywhere near my mouth. Same thing with pickles and mustard.

          DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
          • 28k Posts
          • 6k Reputation
          DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @vaportrail said:

          I read this backwards at first. I thought an 80 year old who only ate Ramen had the health of a teen.

          AA3DEAC683747CD68E8E6716EB2117_h316_w628_m5_cScCdDKeT.jpg

          She looks healthier than I expected, but her physiology must be all whacked out. I bet her blood pressure is through the roof with all that sodium.

          I wonder how many people have selective eating disorders that are this severe. I had the same thing with all veggies as a kid, grew out of most of that by the time I got to college, but some of it still sticks around. The gag reflex triggers if I have a raw carrot anywhere near my mouth. Same thing with pickles and mustard.

          She keeps this up she will be dead by 30. Even if she changes her habits she probably won't see 60.

          "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • nunboy N
            • 305 Posts
            • 21 Reputation
            N nunboy wrote on last edited by
            #5

            How the hell do you let your kid get like this? This is entirely the fault of a parent that I have no doubt finds it impossible to tell their kid NO!

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • BadNewsBrowns BadNewsBrownsB
              • 1k Posts
              • 97 Reputation
              BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns wrote on last edited by
              #6

              How about this guy who is 185 lbs and lives entirely on big mac sandwiches and pushing 60.

              Who really knows what's in store for us? People smoke,drink, eat unhealthy and live to they're 80, meanwhile there's fitness freak vegatarians that get cancer in their 30's.. when it's your time it's your time.

              Something really odd and annoying about extremely picky eaters though...

              "All Truth Passes Through Three stages. First, It Is Ridiculed, Second It Is Violently Opposed, And Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident" ~Arthur Schopenhauer
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply

              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

              Register Login
              Reply
              • Reply as topic
              Log in to reply
              • Oldest to Newest
              • Newest to Oldest
              • Most Votes


              Theme
              • System
              • Light
              • Dark
              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

              • First post
                Last post
              0
              • Forums
              • Recent
              • Popular
              • Users
              • Donate