Best Available Beginning Round 2
-
I have been consistently consulting the CBS Sports rankings over this draft era. (after all, they ARE the network that broadcasts Browns games), and here is their best available entering round 2.
(yes, I so like Kiper...and would probably use him, except you have to pay to get his info....so screw that. I am using CBS). Overall prospect rank of Top 32 left on the board:
21. Geno Smith QB West Virginia
22. Menelik Watson OT Florida St.
25. Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame
26. Justin Hunter WR Tennessee
28. Jamar Taylor CB Boise St.
29. Jonathan Cyprien SS Fla. International
30. Cornelius Carradine DE Florida St.
34. Margus Hunt DE SMU
35. Robert Woods WR USC
36. Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
37. Matt Barkley QB USC
39. Jessie Williams DT Alabama
41. Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse
42. Arthur Brown OLB Kansas St.
44. Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi
46. Kevin Minter ILB LSU
47. Keenan Allen WR Cal
48. Terron Armstead OT Ark. Pine Bluff
49. Zach Ertz TE Stanford
50. Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio St.
51. Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA
52. Damontre Moore DE Texas A&M
54. Sam Montgomery DE LSU
55. Dwayne Gratz CB UConn
57. Alex Okafor DE Texas
58. Quinton Patton WR La Tech
59. Kawann Short DT Purdue
60. Jamie Collins OLB Southern Miss.
61. Larry Watford OG Kentucky
62. Montee Ball RB Wisconsin
63. Darius Slay CB Mississippi St.
64. Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St.
-
Also per the CBS rankings, these have been the biggest "reaches" that were taken in the first round:
Kyle Long OG Oregon #56 ranked, but taken with #20 overall by the Bears
Travis Frederick C Wisconsin #53 ranked but taken #31 by the Cowboys
Justin Pugh OT Syracuse #45 ranked but taken #19 by the Giants
DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson #43 ranked but taken #27 by the Texans
EJ Manuel QB Florida St. #40 ranked but taken #16 by the Bills
-
I wish we could get Teo, Ertz, or the Taylor kid. I hope Whatford lasts into the 3rd round. -
I think the Browns will use Sheard to try and get into the 2nd round. -
I'm hoping for Darius Slay, Matthieu (maybe), Phillip Thomas, or D.J. Swearinger in the 3rd... Secondary IS the need right now...
-
I think the Browns will use Sheard to try and get into the 2nd round.Nope. They are not dropping one of their pass-rushers, especially a potential starter. Mingo will not come into the leage as a 3-down player, he needs time to develop.
-
I don't think that Sheard can play linebacker and he'll have to on this team since we switched to a 3-4 defense. -
I don't think that Sheard can play linebacker and he'll have to on this team since we switched to a 3-4 defense.
I don't think that Sheard can play linebacker and he'll have to on this team since we switched to a 3-4 defense.You don't think that because...???...???...
He covered RBs, FBs, and TEs last year, albeit not every play, but did quite well. He's more athletic than I think you are giving him credit for.
-
It's quite possible that at least three or four of the bottom of that list make it to us. Hopefully we get to choose between these guys:
55. Dwayne Gratz CB UConn
61. Larry Watford OG Kentucky
63. Darius Slay CB Mississippi St.
64. Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St.
-
I don't think that Sheard can play linebacker and he'll have to on this team since we switched to a 3-4 defense.
I don't think that Sheard can play linebacker and he'll have to on this team since we switched to a 3-4 defense.He ran a 4.65ish 40 time before he was drafted and he is only 255 pounds. How do you not see it being at least slightly possible he can make the transition.
-
According to Bruce Drennan sources told him that Sheard had a lot of trouble at the minicamp they just had. I heard that on Drennan's show "All Bets Are Off". -
When did Sheard cover all these players? In college? In high school? I don't remember him dropping into coverage the last couple of years. Sheard has been a pass rushing defensive end in a 4-3 defensive scheme. -
According to ESPN the Jets are trying to move up in the 2nd round to get a QB. -
When did Sheard cover all these players? In college? In high school? I don't remember him dropping into coverage the last couple of years. Sheard has been a pass rushing defensive end in a 4-3 defensive scheme.
When did Sheard cover all these players? In college? In high school? I don't remember him dropping into coverage the last couple of years. Sheard has been a pass rushing defensive end in a 4-3 defensive scheme.Do you watch the Browns play?? He has dropped into coverage a few times in the past 2 years, and has been quite successful when doing so. Just b/c he plays DE in a 4-3 doesn't mean he rushes the passer every play... there are different zone blitzes when he would cover the flat, as well as other zone coverages where he would cover a TE on a short route...
Plus, if I was the FO I'd wait until we see more than 1 minicamp before dumping the guy. Especially being that he has been our best pass rusher the last 2 years.
-
i like eddie lacy from bama. imagine having those two bulls in the backfield.
-
never mind just went to the packers
-
What a fall for Matt Barkley. Now a 3rd rounder at best.
-
I watch every game and yes Sheard dropped in coverage just a few times to confuse the offensive line on a blitz. How many times? The answer is very few. -
So now we're looking for the.. best available beginning round 5
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login