Skip to content

Udfa's

The Browns Board
58 18 3.6k
  • 🙂 I know we got the starting Notre Dame center but his name escapes me right now.

  • Heard good things about Ryan McWethy, S.

  • 🙂 I know we got the starting Notre Dame center but his name escapes me right now.

    @86collins said:

    🙂 I know we got the starting Notre Dame center but his name escapes me right now.

    Yeah, I saw that, and that may be a real good signing, too.

  • Holy crap, for once we signed more than one good UDFA's..

    Kruger

    McWethy

    Faulk

    Cave

    are all people I recognize with NFL potential.. Here's to hoping they make the team "with upside" rather than older veterans who claw just to stay on the 42

  • 🙂 Cave was an All-American at Notre Dame. Faulk was listed in the top 20 offensive tackles in the draft.

  • McWethy looks like he may be what we wanted the whole time.

    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/plattevilles-mcwethy-catches-the-eye-of-packers-other-nfl-teams

  • 🙂 I sure hope he is the starter instead of Haag.

  • Its crazy how fast all these UDFAs get signed.

    @mld-woody said:

    Its crazy how fast all these UDFAs get signed.

    The thing is, most (or all) of these early UDFAs announced are verbal commitments. I often wonder what happens if their favorite team contacts them BEFORE they have actually signed? Do they often jump ship?

    Last year I was excited about Johnson Bademosi, then I saw a report that had him signing with the 49ers. Luckily, he chose us.

    Mike

  • @cambridgeho said:

    McWethy looks like he may be what we wanted the whole time.

    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/plattevilles-mcwethy-catches-the-eye-of-packers-other-nfl-teams

    I called Cal yesterday regarding this kid . He would have been the Combine Star had he been there! I want to see what happens with some NFL coaching, but this kid will be worth watching!

    That's one thing about small school players. Coaching, or lack of, can hold them back. Many are literally "sponges"...thirsty for knowledge & help with their shortcomings. I love their hunger, the chip on their shoulder, & the absence of Prima Donas.

    Mike

  • @cambridgeho said:

    McWethy looks like he may be what we wanted the whole time.

    http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/plattevilles-mcwethy-catches-the-eye-of-packers-other-nfl-teams

    I called Cal yesterday regarding this kid . He would have been the Combine Star had he been there! I want to see what happens with some NFL coaching, but this kid will be worth watching!

    That's one thing about small school players. Coaching, or lack of, can hold them back. Many are literally "sponges"...thirsty for knowledge & help with their shortcomings. I love their hunger, the chip on their shoulder, & the absence of Prima Donas.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I called Cal yesterday regarding this kid . He would have been the Combine Star had he been there! I want to see what happens with some NFL coaching, but this kid will be worth watching!

    That's one thing about small school players. Coaching, or lack of, can hold them back. Many are literally "sponges"...thirsty for knowledge & help with their shortcomings. I love their hunger, the chip on their shoulder, & the absence of Prima Donas.

    Mike

    Agreed, he is a big stong dude for FS.

  • 🙂 Cave was an All-American at Notre Dame. Faulk was listed in the top 20 offensive tackles in the draft.

    @86collins said:

    🙂 Cave was an All-American at Notre Dame. Faulk was listed in the top 20 offensive tackles in the draft.

    Let's hope there is a bear in this Cave.

  • OH NO!!!!

    Safety Ryan McWethy is NOT listed as one of the 18 UDFAs signed by the Browns on the Browns' website. Either he signed elsewhere or the Browns are waiting for him to sign (which seems unlikely). Oh well, s**t happens.

    Mike

  • According to McWethy's college, he did sign a contract with us.. perhaps that Browns page isn't being updated?

  • I hope you're correct & his omission was just an oversight.

    I really enjoy watching UDFAs in camp. They are not EXPECTED to excel in camp & if & when they do, it's a tribute to their hustle & desire more than talent in a lot of cases. I always wish them well.

    Mike

  • While it is a good story, this McWethy kid will never start a game for us unless it is because of injuries.

  • OH NO!!!!

    Safety Ryan McWethy is NOT listed as one of the 18 UDFAs signed by the Browns on the Browns' website. Either he signed elsewhere or the Browns are waiting for him to sign (which seems unlikely). Oh well, s**t happens.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    OH NO!!!!

    Safety Ryan McWethy is NOT listed as one of the 18 UDFAs signed by the Browns on the Browns' website. Either he signed elsewhere or the Browns are waiting for him to sign (which seems unlikely). Oh well, s**t happens.

    Mike

    Players that were not on the officially signed list but wee previously mentioned as signing with the Browns were actually just invited to attend mini camp on a try out basis. So he will be there, he just has less time to show that he should be on the roster than some of the other UDFA.

  • @canton-mike said:

    OH NO!!!!

    Safety Ryan McWethy is NOT listed as one of the 18 UDFAs signed by the Browns on the Browns' website. Either he signed elsewhere or the Browns are waiting for him to sign (which seems unlikely). Oh well, s**t happens.

    Mike

    Players that were not on the officially signed list but wee previously mentioned as signing with the Browns were actually just invited to attend mini camp on a try out basis. So he will be there, he just has less time to show that he should be on the roster than some of the other UDFA.

    @harry-buffalo said:

    Players that were not on the officially signed list but wee previously mentioned as signing with the Browns were actually just invited to attend mini camp on a try out basis. So he will be there, he just has less time to show that he should be on the roster than some of the other UDFA.

    Thanks. I actually found that he is an invitee just an hour or so ago. I'm just glad to see he's getting a shot, so we'll see what happens.

    Mike

  • I notice that Cave was ND's long snapper. If he is a nfl-level long snapper, he could save us a roster spot as he could be be backup lineman and center and we could get rid of the LS from UCLA (who, admittedly, has never made one bad snap ... but a roster spot is a roster spot).

    Zombo

  • Here is the list of UDFA QBs and the teams they signed with:

    Matt Scott, Arizona: Jacksonville

    Jeff Tuehl, Wash. St.: Buffalo

    Ryan Griffin, Tulane: New Orleans

    James Vandenberg, Iowa: Minnesota

    Clay Belton, Findlay: Miami

    Tyler Bray, Tenn.: Kansas City

    Trent Steelman, Army: Baltimore

    Ryan Alpin, Arkansas St.: Cleveland...but failed physical

    Dalton Williams, Akron: Dallas

    Ryan Katz, San Diego St.: Denver

    Alex Corder, W. Michigan: Detroit

    Matt Brown, Illinois St.: Green Bay

    Collin Klein, Kansas St.: Houston

    Jordan Rodgers, Vanderbilt: Jacksonville

    Dayne Crist, Kansas: Kansas City

    Kyle Padron, E. Washingtion: Oakland

    Marquels Gray, Minnesota: San Francisco

    Robert Marve, Purdue: Tampa Bay

    The Browns need another arm for camp and I think there are still a few names out there:

    Colby Cameron La Tech

    Matt McGloin Penn St.

    Jake Ryan, Austin Peay

    Nate Montana, WVa Wesleyan (son of Joe?)

    Tino Sunseri, Pitt

    Colton Chapple, Harvard

    Zach Maynard, Cal

    Any interest?

  • Cameron and Montana are both off the table.