Skip to content

My Theory Of The Browns' 2013 Draft... The Fo Agrees With Us

The Browns Board
84 25 3.6k
  • @tour2ma said:

    Simply put, just as many of us concluded through the 2012 season:

    - the Offense was not as bad as we feared;

    - the Defense was not as good as we hoped; and

    - the talent on both sides of the ball was there, but the coaching staff was a major... ahem... "hindrance".

    I think the FO (and the new staff) agree with us...

    Offensively Wheezy remains the big question mark, but he showed enough progress to warrant at least one more season. Otherwise the questions were third WR (maybe Bess fills the bill?) and OL depth (hello 7th round OL Gilkey... maybe).

    Defensively the secondary was our major source of frustration (howdy Messrs McFadden and Slaughter). Additionally DE/LB questions arose with the impending change back to the 3-4 (wazzup Messrs Kruger, Mingo and Bryant).

    Otherwise it looks to me like the new regime thinks they can coach the 2012 roster up, and into, the new schemes, but until they try they just will not know what it is they really have. So rather than make uncertain moves in a marginal draft, they made minimal moves and stockpiled 2014 picks.

    So 2013 may, once again, be a bumpy disappointment. If it is, then we are set for a critical 2014 draft, but if it is not, then we are set for a 2014 draft that just may move our Browns back to the relevance we all so desperately want.

    Frankly, I'm stunned at all the positive comments here about the draft.

    I've read and heard a lot of lukewarm assessment about Leon McFadden, who is not all that fast and is more of a slot receiver cover guy, vs. the outside cover guy he'll be for the Browns. If the guy is so good, why wasn't he on the radar of the experts? CBs like Poser and Webb, who were even available in round 4, are considered better than McFadden.

    At least McFadden isn't hurt. I can't imagine the 6th round safety Slaughter being able to go on all cylinders in camp or at the start of the season, even though he says he'll be fine. If you read some of the draft expert analysis and grading of the Browns, several had negative things to offer about Slaughter, who a lot of people said wouldn't even be drafted. Even Slaughter himself was surprised he was drafted!

    And what happens if McFadden gets hurt? Owens and Barnes to cover the opponent's #2 receiver?! Are you kidding me? If Gipson gets hurt and Slaughter can't play, then we put in Hagge?!

    Browns should have used those 4th and 5th round picks to add another DB like Webb or Poser and add a quality safety like Rambo. It's bizarre to me that the Browns have an overabundance of quality depth in the front seven yet have almost nothing of quality in the secondary. I'm sorry. This is akin to building up your military force with far more tanks than you need but allocating almost no resources to providing air cover for your force. When battle comes, the opponents' QB and receivers will be the air force that goes over top of the Cleveland Browns tanks and dominates the air, beats the heck of your army and bases, and wins going away. It's insane to go in to a season with such a thin secondary! Same thing happened last year and we saw the result. Disaster.

    The other thing that bothers me is the "wait till next year" attitude AGAIN. I thought we had enough of that with "take the money and run" Holmgrem. The fans want the team to do all it can to win NOW, not in 2014. Those draft picks should have been used NOW. It's a slam, too, against all the loyal season ticket holders who expend thousands of dollars each year and now know that the product they see on the field in 2013 won't be good enough again due to a weak secondary.

    You didn't see all the other teams collecting draft picks for 2014, did you? They all knew that this current crop of collegians is a deep group of quality athletes, and they went after it. Pittsburgh and Cincy had far better drafts than the Browns and the Ravens have replaced all they lost from a world championship season.

    I still don't understand why they didn't aggressively go out and try and get CB and S at the start of free agency. That was a huge strategic mistake. If they had filled that need, they could have drafted a guy like Tavon Austin who would have accelerated the offense to a new level. But , you know, we never get big thinking from Browns executives. They always think small. And we see the result. Yes, it is a factory of sadness ... and ineptitude.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Frankly, I'm stunned at all the positive comments here about the draft.

    I've read and heard a lot of lukewarm assessment about Leon McFadden, who is not all that fast and is more of a slot receiver cover guy, vs. the outside cover guy he'll be for the Browns. If the guy is so good, why wasn't he on the radar of the experts? CBs like Poser and Webb, who were even available in round 4, are considered better than McFadden.

    At least McFadden isn't hurt. I can't imagine the 6th round safety Slaughter being able to go on all cylinders in camp or at the start of the season, even though he says he'll be fine. If you read some of the draft expert analysis and grading of the Browns, several had negative things to offer about Slaughter, who a lot of people said wouldn't even be drafted. Even Slaughter himself was surprised he was drafted!

    And what happens if McFadden gets hurt? Owens and Barnes to cover the opponent's #2 receiver?! Are you kidding me? If Gipson gets hurt and Slaughter can't play, then we put in Hagge?!

    Browns should have used those 4th and 5th round picks to add another DB like Webb or Poser and add a quality safety like Rambo. It's bizarre to me that the Browns have an overabundance of quality depth in the front seven yet have almost nothing of quality in the secondary. I'm sorry. This is akin to building up your military force with far more tanks than you need but allocating almost no resources to providing air cover for your force. When battle comes, the opponents' QB and receivers will be the air force that goes over top of the Cleveland Browns tanks and dominates the air, beats the heck of your army and bases, and wins going away. It's insane to go in to a season with such a thin secondary! Same thing happened last year and we saw the result. Disaster.

    The other thing that bothers me is the "wait till next year" attitude AGAIN. I thought we had enough of that with "take the money and run" Holmgrem. The fans want the team to do all it can to win NOW, not in 2014. Those draft picks should have been used NOW. It's a slam, too, against all the loyal season ticket holders who expend thousands of dollars each year and now know that the product they see on the field in 2013 won't be good enough again due to a weak secondary.

    You didn't see all the other teams collecting draft picks for 2014, did you? They all knew that this current crop of collegians is a deep group of quality athletes, and they went after it. Pittsburgh and Cincy had far better drafts than the Browns and the Ravens have replaced all they lost from a world championship season.

    I still don't understand why they didn't aggressively go out and try and get CB and S at the start of free agency. That was a huge strategic mistake. If they had filled that need, they could have drafted a guy like Tavon Austin who would have accelerated the offense to a new level. But , you know, we never get big thinking from Browns executives. They always think small. And we see the result. Yes, it is a factory of sadness ... and ineptitude.

    How can you say that they had better draft picks then us when nobody even stepped onto the field yet? For all we know everyone they picked could be busts. Wait until midway through the season then let us know what you think. It will make more sense.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    sound pretty confident ready to bet now fagboy?

    First and foremost was I name calling somewhere in regards to you? I get warnings from the mods for name calling but you mongos do it all the time. It's a fantastic double standard. As far as the bet is concerned what were we betting again? Just that the Steelers would have a better record than the Browns? If so yes I will bet. What are we betting?

    @vagitron said:

    If so yes I will bet. What are we betting?

    so i a m betting a six pack. your choice. could be cans of pabst could be bottles of hoegarten.

    you in?

    AND THE BET IS THE BROWNS HAVE A BETTER REOCRD THAN THE STEELERS THIS YEAR. understandable enough?

  • @vagitron said:

    If so yes I will bet. What are we betting?

    so i a m betting a six pack. your choice. could be cans of pabst could be bottles of hoegarten.

    you in?

    AND THE BET IS THE BROWNS HAVE A BETTER REOCRD THAN THE STEELERS THIS YEAR. understandable enough?

    @miktoxic said:

    If so yes I will bet. What are we betting?

    so i a m betting a six pack. your choice. could be cans of pabst could be bottles of hoegarten.

    you in?

    what's up mik your muscling in on my gig here, LOL
  • @miktoxic said:

    If so yes I will bet. What are we betting?

    so i a m betting a six pack. your choice. could be cans of pabst could be bottles of hoegarten.

    you in?

    what's up mik your muscling in on my gig here, LOL

    @erie-dawg said:

    what's up mik your muscling in on my gig here, LOL

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    what's up mik your muscling in on my gig here, LOL

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

  • @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    @vagitron said:

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    My son is a molecular biology major at one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in America, and one of his classes this semester (his last as he graduates a week from Saturday) is "Beer lab". They take a highly sophisticated, scientific approach to the brewery craft. Interesting to hear him talk about it.

  • @vagitron said:

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    My son is a molecular biology major at one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in America, and one of his classes this semester (his last as he graduates a week from Saturday) is "Beer lab". They take a highly sophisticated, scientific approach to the brewery craft. Interesting to hear him talk about it.

    @the-gipper said:

    My son is a molecular biology major at one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in America, and one of his classes this semester (his last as he graduates a week from Saturday) is "Beer lab". They take a highly sophisticated, scientific approach to the brewery craft. Interesting to hear him talk about i

    *gasp* "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow"

  • @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    @miktoxic said:

    hopefully the kid has more than $10 he can throw down. guess he'll have to work another shift at pizza hut to cover the hoegarten though.

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    @vagitron said:

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    we are civil. no probs with you at all. but if i can't get a little dig in on a steelers fan on a browns board.....then it must be zombie apocalypse time.

    and $9 is cheap for hoegaarden. man i'm getting ripped. fuggin ny prices blow.

  • @vagitron said:

    Mik I remember a time when we were pretty civil. I make a nice living and I'm happy with my lot in life. It's also Hoegaarden and I'm a bit of a beer snob so your cute dig got a chuckle out of me. I spent 22 dollars on a make my own six pack for the draft. I think I can cover a 9 dollar six of Hoegaarden.

    we are civil. no probs with you at all. but if i can't get a little dig in on a steelers fan on a browns board.....then it must be zombie apocalypse time.

    and $9 is cheap for hoegaarden. man i'm getting ripped. fuggin ny prices blow.

    @miktoxic said:

    we are civil. no probs with you at all. but if i can't get a little dig in on a steelers fan on a browns board.....then it must be zombie apocalypse time.

    and $9 is cheap for hoegaarden. man i'm getting ripped. fuggin ny prices blow.

    Yikes. Hoegaarden isn't bad but it's not great. If you're paying more than 9 dollars for a six it's time to move 🙂 I know for certain a 12 pack in Columbus is around roughly 20 bucks. (I moved back to Columbus 4 weeks ago)

  • @miktoxic said:

    we are civil. no probs with you at all. but if i can't get a little dig in on a steelers fan on a browns board.....then it must be zombie apocalypse time.

    and $9 is cheap for hoegaarden. man i'm getting ripped. fuggin ny prices blow.

    Yikes. Hoegaarden isn't bad but it's not great. If you're paying more than 9 dollars for a six it's time to move 🙂 I know for certain a 12 pack in Columbus is around roughly 20 bucks. (I moved back to Columbus 4 weeks ago)

    @vagitron said:

    Yikes. Hoegaarden isn't bad but it's not great. If you're paying more than 9 dollars for a six it's time to move 🙂 I know for certain a 12 pack in Columbus is around roughly 20 bucks. (I moved back to Columbus 4 weeks ago)

    i like the change once in a while from bud or corona. yeah it's like close to $11 bucks with tax and deposit at the local bodega.

  • @vagitron said:

    Yikes. Hoegaarden isn't bad but it's not great. If you're paying more than 9 dollars for a six it's time to move 🙂 I know for certain a 12 pack in Columbus is around roughly 20 bucks. (I moved back to Columbus 4 weeks ago)

    i like the change once in a while from bud or corona. yeah it's like close to $11 bucks with tax and deposit at the local bodega.

    @miktoxic said:

    i like the change once in a while from bud or corona. yeah it's like close to $11 bucks with tax and deposit at the local bodega.

    I used to drink my fair share of Corona early on in college. I was then turned on to the microbrew scene and I haven't had one in over 8 years I'd guess. If i want a light summer beer i just grab a nice Belgian of some sort and call it a day. I drink a lot of IPA's and when the spirit moves me I'll grab a make your own 6 or 12 pack of a bunch of stuff I've never had to expand my taste so to speak. If you enjoy beer at all you're better off doing the above than springing for the Corona or the Bud. You also end up drinking a fair amount less because most of the micro brew stuff is higher in alcohol. I don't drink to get blasted these days, if I do so be it and that's really the only reason I'd drink a bud etc. I do however drink Bud if it's a really basic selection but even then more and more restaurants are including a better beer selection. I'd rather punch myself in the balls than to drink a Miller lite or a bud light.

  • @the-gipper said:

    My son is a molecular biology major at one of the most prestigious liberal arts colleges in America, and one of his classes this semester (his last as he graduates a week from Saturday) is "Beer lab". They take a highly sophisticated, scientific approach to the brewery craft. Interesting to hear him talk about i

    *gasp* "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow"

    @vagitron said:

    *gasp* "Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow"

    Not sure what this is supposed to me. Can anyone interpret?

  • @miktoxic said:

    i like the change once in a while from bud or corona. yeah it's like close to $11 bucks with tax and deposit at the local bodega.

    I used to drink my fair share of Corona early on in college. I was then turned on to the microbrew scene and I haven't had one in over 8 years I'd guess. If i want a light summer beer i just grab a nice Belgian of some sort and call it a day. I drink a lot of IPA's and when the spirit moves me I'll grab a make your own 6 or 12 pack of a bunch of stuff I've never had to expand my taste so to speak. If you enjoy beer at all you're better off doing the above than springing for the Corona or the Bud. You also end up drinking a fair amount less because most of the micro brew stuff is higher in alcohol. I don't drink to get blasted these days, if I do so be it and that's really the only reason I'd drink a bud etc. I do however drink Bud if it's a really basic selection but even then more and more restaurants are including a better beer selection. I'd rather punch myself in the balls than to drink a Miller lite or a bud light.

    @vagitron said:

    I used to drink my fair share of Corona early on in college. I was then turned on to the microbrew scene and I haven't had one in over 8 years I'd guess. If i want a light summer beer i just grab a nice Belgian of some sort and call it a day. I drink a lot of IPA's and when the spirit moves me I'll grab a make your own 6 or 12 pack of a bunch of stuff I've never had to expand my taste so to speak. If you enjoy beer at all you're better off doing the above than springing for the Corona or the Bud. You also end up drinking a fair amount less because most of the micro brew stuff is higher in alcohol. I don't drink to get blasted these days, if I do so be it and that's really the only reason I'd drink a bud etc. I do however drink Bud if it's a really basic selection but even then more and more restaurants are including a better beer selection. I'd rather punch myself in the balls than to drink a Miller lite or a bud light.

    They guy on this board you want to talk to about the microbrew scene is Westside Steve....who does the movie review forum. He has had me try some IPAs...but I am not a big fan of them. But I am not that much of a beer drinker. He...and my kid are more the conneseurs. I will try to flush Steve out for you....he usually has his nose stuck in the political board.

  • @vagitron said:

    I used to drink my fair share of Corona early on in college. I was then turned on to the microbrew scene and I haven't had one in over 8 years I'd guess. If i want a light summer beer i just grab a nice Belgian of some sort and call it a day. I drink a lot of IPA's and when the spirit moves me I'll grab a make your own 6 or 12 pack of a bunch of stuff I've never had to expand my taste so to speak. If you enjoy beer at all you're better off doing the above than springing for the Corona or the Bud. You also end up drinking a fair amount less because most of the micro brew stuff is higher in alcohol. I don't drink to get blasted these days, if I do so be it and that's really the only reason I'd drink a bud etc. I do however drink Bud if it's a really basic selection but even then more and more restaurants are including a better beer selection. I'd rather punch myself in the balls than to drink a Miller lite or a bud light.

    They guy on this board you want to talk to about the microbrew scene is Westside Steve....who does the movie review forum. He has had me try some IPAs...but I am not a big fan of them. But I am not that much of a beer drinker. He...and my kid are more the conneseurs. I will try to flush Steve out for you....he usually has his nose stuck in the political board.

    @the-gipper said:

    They guy on this board you want to talk to about the microbrew scene is Westside Steve....who does the movie review forum. He has had me try some IPAs...but I am not a big fan of them. But I am not that much of a beer drinker. He...and my kid are more the conneseurs. I will try to flush Steve out for you....he usually has his nose stuck in the political board.

    Cool. I'm probably going to start dabbling in Home Brew when I get some more time. There is a great place in down town Delaware, Ohio called Barley Hopsters that specializes in the Home Brew stuff. I also drink my fair share of IPA's. Stone Ruination being my favorite currently.

    EDIT: I'm also not a big beer drinker these days but I do enjoy a good beer or 4 on occasion.

  • So vag are we betting?