Close Gitmo?
-
So what do you do about Guantanamo?
PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.
So what do you do about Guantanamo?
PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.
They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.
-
I question the presidents original plan to close gitmo then incarcerate them here in America - Leavenworth?
And Holders plan to try them in NYC?
If thats his idea of closing Gitmo again, I say no thanks...
And if he (Obama) says its because we dont have international standing, lessens cooperation with allies on counterterrorism efforts,
and is a recruitment tool for extremists, then maybe he doesnt understand that they (Islamic extremist groups) have no respect for weakness and
indecision, rather strength and resolve to punish. They will stop at nothing to accomplish that.... why does Obama waiver? International approval?
the apologies were not enough? lol
-
So what do you do about Guantanamo?
PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.
They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.
They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.
I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.
-
They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.
I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.
I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.
No argument from me on that one.
-
So what about Gitmo?
I think closing it is long overdue. But, of course, Congress is in the way and that's probably not going to change.
-
It is expensive. It is inefficient. It hurts us in terms of our international standing. It lessens cooperation with our allies on counterterrorism efforts. It is a recruitment tool for extremists. It needs to be closed.
What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.
What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.
Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.
-
What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.
Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.
Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.
i vote for the lesser of two evils. Still glad that Romney wasn't elected.
-
crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.
and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.
it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.
WSS
-
Lesser of the two evils.. lol that's good. I'm going to save us both a lot of time and not get into this one with ya

-
and before someone makes the required response drama yes I know other people have made similaruninformed promises...
-
crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.
and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.
it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.
WSS
and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
Well gee, that's an easy spin, I'll give it a shot.
These cowards who are bombing you with their robots captured many of your countrymen, most of whom were not involved with any attack, and now they are forced to live like caged dogs for the rest of their days. Oh, the Americans captured your cousin ten years ago and you haven't seen him since? Your neighbor? Your father? Where is the justice for them?
You really think they'll have a hard time recruiting when that's their pitch? How many people joined up after 9/11 when all we talked about was how the cowards rammed planes into the towers of civilians?
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
American prisons are most certainly relevant, because that's where we'd send these people. Also are you saying that we are torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay?
and whether they are or not what do you suppose the recruiters tell them?
WSS
-
Steve, you crack me up. You enter just about every thread about anything upset that someone is bringing up a subject, and then you accuse them of "crying" or "bitching" or "moaning", and then you type a couple lines about how you don't care.
No one can raise a subject without you imagining them all weepy on the other end of the line.
I don't think anyone's weepy, bud. Some people might have thought it was a bad idea in the first place. And come on, think about it: if from day one these suspects were brought to a military or Supermax facility in the lower 48, do you imagine anyone would have cared?
Of course not.
The prison is not worth the trouble it causes. It's not worth the expense. And it's time to start dismantling the (understandable) post 9/11 overreaction to terrorism.
-
Vapor, I don't think those detainees are subject to torture techniques any more. They're also been there so long they're probably long past the point where they could provide useful information anyway, so there'd likely be no point in torturing them even if the White House wanted them to be tortured. And the White House doesn't want them to be tortured.
-
And the PR benefit to closing the prison probably isn't much in terms of Al Qaeda types. It's not going to change anyone's mind there. But it would be a small benefit in dealings with our allies.
But that's not really one of the main reasons to close the prison anyway. It's not about them. More about us.
-
Seriously, who cares?
I haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd say that your drone strikes kill a lot more women and babies than gitmo.
But they probably deserved it too...
WSS
Seriously, who cares?
I haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd say that your drone strikes kill a lot more women and babies than gitmo.
But they probably deserved it too...
WSS
Yikes.
Can you move that GIF down here, too, Vape?
-
And it's amazing how silly your Obama hatred makes you.
Yes, one of his stances when running for president was closing Gitmo.
Once elected, that remained his stance. He issued an executive order instructing the CIA to begin the process of closing the prison, and that it should be closed in a year, and ordered the government to begin the legal process that would determine what to do with the remaining prisoners - to try, transfer, release, whatever.
Congress then voted to not approve the funds for Gitmo to be closed and for the prisoners to be transferred.
...And this is Obama's fault why?
Eh, nevermind. I've got work to do.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login