Close Gitmo?
-
crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.
and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.
it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.
WSS
-
Lesser of the two evils.. lol that's good. I'm going to save us both a lot of time and not get into this one with ya

-
and before someone makes the required response drama yes I know other people have made similaruninformed promises...
-
crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.
and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.
it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.
WSS
and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?
Well gee, that's an easy spin, I'll give it a shot.
These cowards who are bombing you with their robots captured many of your countrymen, most of whom were not involved with any attack, and now they are forced to live like caged dogs for the rest of their days. Oh, the Americans captured your cousin ten years ago and you haven't seen him since? Your neighbor? Your father? Where is the justice for them?
You really think they'll have a hard time recruiting when that's their pitch? How many people joined up after 9/11 when all we talked about was how the cowards rammed planes into the towers of civilians?
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
-
they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.
and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.
WSS
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!
American prisons are most certainly relevant, because that's where we'd send these people. Also are you saying that we are torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay?
and whether they are or not what do you suppose the recruiters tell them?
WSS
-
Steve, you crack me up. You enter just about every thread about anything upset that someone is bringing up a subject, and then you accuse them of "crying" or "bitching" or "moaning", and then you type a couple lines about how you don't care.
No one can raise a subject without you imagining them all weepy on the other end of the line.
I don't think anyone's weepy, bud. Some people might have thought it was a bad idea in the first place. And come on, think about it: if from day one these suspects were brought to a military or Supermax facility in the lower 48, do you imagine anyone would have cared?
Of course not.
The prison is not worth the trouble it causes. It's not worth the expense. And it's time to start dismantling the (understandable) post 9/11 overreaction to terrorism.
-
Vapor, I don't think those detainees are subject to torture techniques any more. They're also been there so long they're probably long past the point where they could provide useful information anyway, so there'd likely be no point in torturing them even if the White House wanted them to be tortured. And the White House doesn't want them to be tortured.
-
And the PR benefit to closing the prison probably isn't much in terms of Al Qaeda types. It's not going to change anyone's mind there. But it would be a small benefit in dealings with our allies.
But that's not really one of the main reasons to close the prison anyway. It's not about them. More about us.
-
Seriously, who cares?
I haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd say that your drone strikes kill a lot more women and babies than gitmo.
But they probably deserved it too...
WSS
Seriously, who cares?
I haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd say that your drone strikes kill a lot more women and babies than gitmo.
But they probably deserved it too...
WSS
Yikes.
Can you move that GIF down here, too, Vape?
-
And it's amazing how silly your Obama hatred makes you.
Yes, one of his stances when running for president was closing Gitmo.
Once elected, that remained his stance. He issued an executive order instructing the CIA to begin the process of closing the prison, and that it should be closed in a year, and ordered the government to begin the legal process that would determine what to do with the remaining prisoners - to try, transfer, release, whatever.
Congress then voted to not approve the funds for Gitmo to be closed and for the prisoners to be transferred.
...And this is Obama's fault why?
Eh, nevermind. I've got work to do.
-
no heck its not really his fault at all. Maybe only a little tiny bit, but a lot of people thought that would be a splendid idea.when reality set in it just turned out to be a hill too high to climb. It would have been the same for a president McCain.
you don't have to freak out every time in defense of the guy.
but seriously if it means a lot to you, again, en pick up the banner.
WSS
WSS [/b]
-
Yes, God forbid a politician tell the public which policies he would try to implement if elected, and then get in office and try to implement those policies.
What an asshole!
And no freaking out. Just making sure we're on planet earth here.
-
haha. You act like I slapped your wife. Hey let's say Newt Gingrich got elected, okay? You suppose you'd take this same course when somebody pointed out that gasoline was a lot more than 250 a gallon?
WSS
-
...That gasoline was a lot more than 250 a gallon? Wha? I suspect I know what point you're trying to make (acolyte, blah, blah - we've been over this, to no avail) even though I have no idea what you're talking about.
But brother, retreating from your dumb partisan whiff after being corrected on reality is a funny time to accuse me of partisanship. Especially when you've realized that my point is valid and yours isn't. If pointing out reality is partisan, and being annoyed by your reflexive anti-Obama stupidity is too much, then hey, guess you got me. Should probably tell you something that this is your fall back position after losing on points. "Hey, man. Quit defending your boy!"
Eesh.
Also, I didn't blame Bush for gas prices during the Bush years. Nor do I credit Obama when they dip. Because they have almost nothing to do with the President. If someone wanted to praise Obama for gas prices now, I'd be happy to tell them its unwarranted.
As you know, I want gas prices to go up.
-
I suspect you're pretending to be dim to make a point but never mind that. Think really hard... Remember that Newt Gingrich said he had a plan to bring gasoline down to 250 a gallon! So let's say he won the election okay? Do you think it would be valid or not valid to bring up the fact that that was probably a bullshit promise? I'm not even saying Obama's promise was that much bullshit because, as we've discussed, a lot of those on the left were up in arms about it. I just said it was made in ignorance. And it was whether or not you think it should have been done then or should have been done yesterday.
that's all there is to it.
WSS
-
Haha. Yes, assume I'm acting nefariously! Because I'm up to no good. Can't trust dem libruls!
You know one way to ensure that I'll know what you're talking about? When you mean "$2.50 a gallon" write "$2.50 a gallon." Not "250 a gallon."
There. Not hard.
From now on you can assume when I say "I'm not following you" or "I have no idea what you're talking about" it's because I'm reading what you wrote and ...I don't know what you're talking about. Deal?
Yes, now I remember Newt's ridiculous pledge. And your analogy doesn't work. One is a laughable and impossible campaign pander that no one took seriously. The other is not all of those things. Resetting interrogation guidelines and the judicial process for detainees, in case you haven't noticed, has been a priority of the administration. (Check how they just handled the Boston suspects, while everyone on the right screamed "enemy combatant.") Closing Gitmo is one part of that. And now he's going to push for that part again, and likely fail again.
It's nothing like Newt Gingrich's last gasp campaign brainfart.
Also, you don't seem to think that it's ever worth it to take a stand on an issue even when the likelihood is that you aren't going to get the votes to pass what you want, and that doing this is tantamount to ignorance. I don't agree with that either. At all.
-
I think we should keep Gitmo open despite heck and the rest of the left's causing the "trouble".
20 percent of those release at Gitmo, go back to terrorism.
Don't be stupid on the subject Obamao. eh...too late again.
Instead of torture, they should just let them starve themselves to death.
If they have to force them ...feed them bacon, and ham. and dirt. and saltwater.
-
so you were dumbfounded by saying 250 a gallon instead of typing out the dollar sign and the decimal point?
even when I used the word gasoline, and we were talking about campaign promises, and I even used the name Newt Gingrich?
I guess I gave you credit for being a little smarter, my bad.
and now you want to drag out this transparent dodge because you fucked up?
I think there's a heck translation in there somewhere. Hopefully the work you are doing is better quality than this.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login