Skip to content

Close Gitmo?

Political Discussion
64 8 1.9k
  • Today the President says he's going to try, once again, to get Congress to go along with closing Gitmo.

    Q: [From Bill Plante]:Mr. President, as you’re probably aware, there’s a growing hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay, among prisoners there. Is it any surprise, really, that they would prefer death rather than have no end in sight to their confinement?
    PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, it is not a surprise to me that we’ve got problems in Guantanamo, which is why, when I was campaigning in 2007 and 2008 and when I was elected in 2008, I said we need to close Guantanamo.
    I continue to believe that we’ve got to close Guantanamo. I think — well, you know, I think it is critical for us to understand that Guantanamo is not necessary to keep America safe. It is expensive. It is inefficient. It hurts us in terms of our international standing. It lessens cooperation with our allies on counterterrorism efforts. It is a recruitment tool for extremists. It needs to be closed.
    Now Congress determined that they would not let us close it and despite the fact that there are a number of the folks who are currently in Guantanamo who the courts have said could be returned to their country of origin or potentially a third country.
    I’m going to go back at this. I’ve asked my team to review everything that’s currently being done in Guantanamo, everything that we can do administratively, and I’m going to re-engage with Congress to try to make the case that this is not something that’s in the best interests of the American people.

    This is something President Bush said we should do. It's something President Obama tried to do. Who thinks we should close it and why, and who thinks it should stay open and why?

  • I don't care. Fuck em all. I'd rather kill them then let them go though. How many times have we released prisoners from there and they come back and hit us again? This is just political bullshit from Obama who really could care less about Gitmo or it would have been closed years ago.

  • It is expensive. It is inefficient. It hurts us in terms of our international standing. It lessens cooperation with our allies on counterterrorism efforts. It is a recruitment tool for extremists. It needs to be closed.

    What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.

  • So what do you do about Guantanamo?

    PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.

  • Seriously, who cares?

    I haven't checked the exact numbers but I'd say that your drone strikes kill a lot more women and babies than gitmo.

    But they probably deserved it too...

    WSS

  • So what do you do about Guantanamo?

    PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    So what do you do about Guantanamo?

    PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.

    They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.

  • I question the presidents original plan to close gitmo then incarcerate them here in America - Leavenworth?

    And Holders plan to try them in NYC?

    If thats his idea of closing Gitmo again, I say no thanks...

    And if he (Obama) says its because we dont have international standing, lessens cooperation with allies on counterterrorism efforts,

    and is a recruitment tool for extremists, then maybe he doesnt understand that they (Islamic extremist groups) have no respect for weakness and

    indecision, rather strength and resolve to punish. They will stop at nothing to accomplish that.... why does Obama waiver? International approval?

    the apologies were not enough? lol

  • @heckofajobbrownie said:

    So what do you do about Guantanamo?

    PS - Drones strikes are less expensive and very efficient, though I'll give you the international standing, lessening cooperation on counterterrorism, and recruitment tool parts.

    They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.

    @vaportrail said:

    They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.

    I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.

  • @vaportrail said:

    They're efficient, sure, but I'm not sure you can say they're less expensive. Though the drones are unmanned, the maintenance, piloting, and parsing of data for each drone requires about 50 people. I don't have a source for that, but just saw it in a presentation from one of AFRL's chief scientists. Those things are pretty costly.

    I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.

    @heckofajobbrownie said:

    I'm talking about as opposed to using traditional ground forces, in which case they're far less expensive.

    No argument from me on that one.

  • So what about Gitmo?

    I think closing it is long overdue. But, of course, Congress is in the way and that's probably not going to change.

  • It is expensive. It is inefficient. It hurts us in terms of our international standing. It lessens cooperation with our allies on counterterrorism efforts. It is a recruitment tool for extremists. It needs to be closed.

    What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.

    @vaportrail said:

    What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.

    Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.

  • @vaportrail said:

    What a fucking hypocrite. He could just as easily be talking about the drone strikes.

    Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.

    @blowe said:

    Not to mention the man claimed he would close gitmo when he ran for office the first time. How did that work out? I'm still amazed this dickhead received as many votes as he did. It really says something about the ignorance of this country.

    i vote for the lesser of two evils. Still glad that Romney wasn't elected.

  • Lesser of the two evils.. lol that's good. I'm going to save us both a lot of time and not get into this one with ya 😉

  • crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.

    and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?

    even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.

    it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.

    WSS

  • Lesser of the two evils.. lol that's good. I'm going to save us both a lot of time and not get into this one with ya 😉

    @blowe said:

    Lesser of the two evils.. lol that's good. I'm going to save us both a lot of time and not get into this one with ya 😉

    Probably a good idea, we'll agree to disagree.

  • and before someone makes the required response drama yes I know other people have made similaruninformed promises...

  • crying about gitmo is a complete waste of time. I I have no doubt, after talking to Susan's son who was a guard there for years, that the conditions in American prisons are probably a lot lot worse. According to him you got reamed out for showing the slightest disrespect to the prisoners. I doubt that's the case in the state pens here.

    and let's say you had a choice of serving your time there or in Afghanistan or Iraq or Iran or Saudi Arabia prison?and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?

    even if it was how much more will they love us if we close it down and move everyone to a federal pen in the USA?I'm sure John Hickenlooper would welcome them with open arms in Colorado.

    it was a dumb campaign promise that should be forgotten.that's what happens when you make promises without knowing enough about your situation.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    and does anyone believe that it's a serious recruitment tool for AQ?

    Well gee, that's an easy spin, I'll give it a shot.

    These cowards who are bombing you with their robots captured many of your countrymen, most of whom were not involved with any attack, and now they are forced to live like caged dogs for the rest of their days. Oh, the Americans captured your cousin ten years ago and you haven't seen him since? Your neighbor? Your father? Where is the justice for them?

    You really think they'll have a hard time recruiting when that's their pitch? How many people joined up after 9/11 when all we talked about was how the cowards rammed planes into the towers of civilians?

  • they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.

    and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.

    WSS

  • they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.

    and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.

    and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.

    WSS

    American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!

  • @westside-steve said:

    they are going to say that even if we house them at Club Med. Geez come on.

    and we aren't talking about giving them 10 bucks and a suit of clothes and setting them free, were talking about sending them to a worse prison here in the hated United States.

    WSS

    American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!

    @vaportrail said:

    American prison conditions are irrelevant to al Qaeda's recruiting. As for which one's worse, you probably don't have to worry about getting shanked by a Nazi in Gitmo, but you are subject to torture!

    American prisons are most certainly relevant, because that's where we'd send these people. Also are you saying that we are torturing prisoners at Guantanamo Bay?

    and whether they are or not what do you suppose the recruiters tell them?

    WSS