Skip to content

Best Ohio Quarterbacks

The Browns Board
23 11 868
  • @comeonman said:

    Staubach, BR, Kosar. Didn't know BR was from Findlay, I spent many summers there and had no clue

    You're lucky you never got raped by him....

    @mark-o said:

    You're lucky you never got raped by him....

    YET.

    "ready or not, you can't hide.....gonna find you ,so take it slowly...." - refugees

  • Here is a list of NFL Quarterbacks that are Ohio natives. Some of these has stellar careers, some not so much. These all had at least 2 years in the league. I left off anyone that only had one year or less. I list them alphabetically. Which ones do you think were the best and the worst?:

    Todd Blackledge, North Canton

    Matt Cavanaugh, Youngstown

    Greg Cook, Cincinnati

    Len Dawson, Alliance

    Brian Dowling, Cleveland

    Benny Friedman, Cleveland

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Ralph Giugliemi, Columbus

    Jim Harbaugh, Toledo

    Brian Hoyer, Lakewood

    Bobby Hoying, St. Henry

    George Izo, Barberton

    Bernie Kosar, Boardman

    Cliff Lewis, Cleveland

    Jeff Lewis, Columbus

    Oliver Luck, Cleveland

    Brian McClure, Ravenna

    Mark Miller, Canton

    Brady Quinn, Dublin

    Dave Ragone, Middleburgh Hts.

    George Ratterman, Cincinnati

    Ben Roethlisberger, Findlay

    James Root, Toledo

    Art Schlichter, Washington Court House

    Roger Staubach, Cincinnati

    Cliff Stoudt, Oberlin

    Stephen Tensi, Cincinnati

    Rick Trocano, Cincinnati

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Erik Wilhelm, Dayton

    Russell Wilson, Cincinnati

    Help me out with any names I may have missed. Some of what I found went by birthplace. A guy could have been born here and left at a very young age (like Jim Harbaugh). Others that may have been born elsewhere may have moved here and spent their high school years in Ohio. Know of any?

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is a list of NFL Quarterbacks that are Ohio natives. Some of these has stellar careers, some not so much. These all had at least 2 years in the league. I left off anyone that only had one year or less. I list them alphabetically. Which ones do you think were the best and the worst?:

    Todd Blackledge, North Canton

    Matt Cavanaugh, Youngstown

    Greg Cook, Cincinnati

    Len Dawson, Alliance

    Brian Dowling, Cleveland

    Benny Friedman, Cleveland

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Ralph Giugliemi, Columbus

    Jim Harbaugh, Toledo

    Brian Hoyer, Lakewood

    Bobby Hoying, St. Henry

    George Izo, Barberton

    Bernie Kosar, Boardman

    Cliff Lewis, Cleveland

    Jeff Lewis, Columbus

    Oliver Luck, Cleveland

    Brian McClure, Ravenna

    Mark Miller, Canton

    Brady Quinn, Dublin

    Dave Ragone, Middleburgh Hts.

    George Ratterman, Cincinnati

    Ben Roethlisberger, Findlay

    James Root, Toledo

    Art Schlichter, Washington Court House

    Roger Staubach, Cincinnati

    Cliff Stoudt, Oberlin

    Stephen Tensi, Cincinnati

    Rick Trocano, Cincinnati

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Erik Wilhelm, Dayton

    Russell Wilson, Cincinnati

    Help me out with any names I may have missed. Some of what I found went by birthplace. A guy could have been born here and left at a very young age (like Jim Harbaugh). Others that may have been born elsewhere may have moved here and spent their high school years in Ohio. Know of any?

    And don't forget that NFL players Joe Cribbs and KJulian Edelman were QBs at Kent State.

  • brady quinn will take the browns to the super bowl! his hair is dreamy!

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is a list of NFL Quarterbacks that are Ohio natives. Some of these has stellar careers, some not so much. These all had at least 2 years in the league. I left off anyone that only had one year or less. I list them alphabetically. Which ones do you think were the best and the worst?:

    Todd Blackledge, North Canton

    Matt Cavanaugh, Youngstown

    Greg Cook, Cincinnati

    Len Dawson, Alliance

    Brian Dowling, Cleveland

    Benny Friedman, Cleveland

    Charlie Frye, Willard

    Ralph Giugliemi, Columbus

    Jim Harbaugh, Toledo

    Brian Hoyer, Lakewood

    Bobby Hoying, St. Henry

    George Izo, Barberton

    Bernie Kosar, Boardman

    Cliff Lewis, Cleveland

    Jeff Lewis, Columbus

    Oliver Luck, Cleveland

    Brian McClure, Ravenna

    Mark Miller, Canton

    Brady Quinn, Dublin

    Dave Ragone, Middleburgh Hts.

    George Ratterman, Cincinnati

    Ben Roethlisberger, Findlay

    James Root, Toledo

    Art Schlichter, Washington Court House

    Roger Staubach, Cincinnati

    Cliff Stoudt, Oberlin

    Stephen Tensi, Cincinnati

    Rick Trocano, Cincinnati

    Tom Tupa, Brecksville

    Erik Wilhelm, Dayton

    Russell Wilson, Cincinnati

    Help me out with any names I may have missed. Some of what I found went by birthplace. A guy could have been born here and left at a very young age (like Jim Harbaugh). Others that may have been born elsewhere may have moved here and spent their high school years in Ohio. Know of any?

    And don't forget that NFL players Joe Cribbs and KJulian Edelman were QBs at Kent State.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    And don't forget that NFL players Joe Cribbs and KJulian Edelman were QBs at Kent State.

    I wasn't really going for guys that played college ball in Ohio....just whether they were born here or went to HS here. Cribbs is from the DC area, don't know about Edelman.

  • Troy Smith played a couple seasons before bouncing around and ending up in the CFL or Arena League or where ever he is now.

  • Troy Smith played a couple seasons before bouncing around and ending up in the CFL or Arena League or where ever he is now.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    Troy Smith played a couple seasons before bouncing around and ending up in the CFL or Arena League or where ever he is now.

    Yea, it looks like the website I checked on that had the list of Ohio born NFL players was quite incomplete.

    Smith last played in the UFL in 2011....though he was on the Steelers roster from January to June of 2012 when he was cut.

    It does not appear that he played in 2012 anywhere.

    I would think the CFL might actually be a good place for him. He can throw...he can move....but just not apparently up to NFL standards.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    And don't forget that NFL players Joe Cribbs and KJulian Edelman were QBs at Kent State.

    I wasn't really going for guys that played college ball in Ohio....just whether they were born here or went to HS here. Cribbs is from the DC area, don't know about Edelman.

    @the-gipper said:

    I wasn't really going for guys that played college ball in Ohio....just whether they were born here or went to HS here. Cribbs is from the DC area, don't know about Edelman.

    FYI, Edelman is from California. Redwood City/Woodside

  • Pretty easy for top three......

    Dawson, Burger, and Staubach.

  • Pretty easy for top three......

    Dawson, Burger, and Staubach.

    @ballpeen said:

    Pretty easy for top three......

    Dawson, Burger, and Staubach.

    I had to throw Benny Friedman in there as well since he is, after all, in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

    And he really was the pioneer, or prototype for the modern day drop back QB....playing from 1927 to 1934.

  • medium_bd.jpgOf course, this guy is certainly well known in many quarters.