Aaron Curry, blogger
-
Well, not exactly.
One of SI's writers will be speaking with Aaron Curry during the draft process, collecting "draft diaries" based on their conversations.
I liked this part:
I never focused on the NFL or read the draft magazines, like some players do. I focused on being the best all-around linebacker I could be -- getting stronger, playing faster, becoming an all around linebacker. I am glad I didn't do this last year. My decision to come back to school was absolutely the right one. I really benefited from that, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel like I'm in a much better position now facing the combine than last year. My maturity as a person and as a player has increased significantly since the end of last season. I was able to use my senior year to show everybody I'm better than I thought I was, and now I have the maturity to handle the business side of things the right way, too.
-
Well, not exactly.
One of SI's writers will be speaking with Aaron Curry during the draft process, collecting "draft diaries" based on their conversations.
I liked this part:
I never focused on the NFL or read the draft magazines, like some players do. I focused on being the best all-around linebacker I could be -- getting stronger, playing faster, becoming an all around linebacker. I am glad I didn't do this last year. My decision to come back to school was absolutely the right one. I really benefited from that, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel like I'm in a much better position now facing the combine than last year. My maturity as a person and as a player has increased significantly since the end of last season. I was able to use my senior year to show everybody I'm better than I thought I was, and now I have the maturity to handle the business side of things the right way, too.
Aloysius said:
Well, not exactly.One of SI's writers will be speaking with Aaron Curry during the draft process, collecting "draft diaries" based on their conversations.
I liked this part:
I never focused on the NFL or read the draft magazines, like some players do. I focused on being the best all-around linebacker I could be -- getting stronger, playing faster, becoming an all around linebacker. I am glad I didn't do this last year. My decision to come back to school was absolutely the right one. I really benefited from that, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel like I'm in a much better position now facing the combine than last year. My maturity as a person and as a player has increased significantly since the end of last season. I was able to use my senior year to show everybody I'm better than I thought I was, and now I have the maturity to handle the business side of things the right way, too.
Wow.
Top 3 linebacker in the country (I think #1, but ..) - check.
Good head on his shoulders - check.
How is he not a no-brainer? Especially @ #5
-
A good, balanced and considered response from Curry. Let's see if this is reflected in the combines, but sure looks like a prospect to me. Imagine having a LB that was fast, could sense plays emerging and actaully tackle!!! Whhooooo, that's exciting.
-
For what it's worth, SI's Don Banks has Aaron Curry being taken by the Jaguars at pick #8.
In a crime against draft geeks everywhere, he doesn't even mention Curry as an option for the Browns:
Eric Mangini's Browns (still getting used to that) could go a lot of different ways in the five spot, but it's going to be a defensive pick. The home-state hero Jenkins would give Cleveland's shaky cornerback situation an infusion of talent, but you can make a strong case for help in the pass rush (DE/LB Brian Orakpo of Texas) or maybe at linebacker (USC's Rey Maualuga).
He must have Curry pegged as a 4-3 only kind of guy.
-
Aloysius, you are beginning to sway me in favor of AC.... stop it
-
Ha.
Just to be clear: Don Banks has no clue what he's doing here. He has the Packers taking Georgia Tech's Michael Johnson to play 3-4 DE.
Here's what a 3-4 DE looks like:

Here's what Michael Johnson looks like:

Scouts question whether Johnson's strong enough to play 4-3 DE. And after a poor senior season, he didn't do himself any favors by not showing up to the Senior Bowl (some reports had him canceling because "he didn't feel like it").
Dude may not even get picked in the 1st Round, and Banks has him as a top 10 pick for a position he's not at all a fit for.
Ridunculous.
-
hum
dosn't like to lift weights
has alot of down time
dosn't say anything about winning
but sure talks alot about the $$$$$$$$$$$$
n.c even past on him for being to small
think about this cleveland!!!
-
Curry weighed 210 lbs. coming out of high school. He's put on 35-40 pounds since then.
And the guy said he was too tired to go out after an intense workout. That doesn't mean he hates to lift weights.
FWIW, he seems to be having some fun here:
-
Don Banks is a disaster. I understand the enormous task of covering all sports as writer sort of lends itself into "jack of all trades, master of none" territory, but yeeesh, you'd think the Blind Squirrel syndrome would work it's way in occasionally.
-
Ha.
Just to be clear: Don Banks has no clue what he's doing here. He has the Packers taking Georgia Tech's Michael Johnson to play 3-4 DE.
Here's what a 3-4 DE looks like:

Here's what Michael Johnson looks like:

Scouts question whether Johnson's strong enough to play 4-3 DE. And after a poor senior season, he didn't do himself any favors by not showing up to the Senior Bowl (some reports had him canceling because "he didn't feel like it").
Dude may not even get picked in the 1st Round, and Banks has him as a top 10 pick for a position he's not at all a fit for.
Ridunculous.
Aloysius said:
Ha.
Scouts question whether Johnson's strong enough to play 4-3 DE. And after a poor senior season, he didn't do himself any favors by not showing up to the Senior Bowl (some reports had him canceling because "he didn't feel like it").
Dude may not even get picked in the 1st Round, and Banks has him as a top 10 pick for a position he's not at all a fit for.
Ridunculous.
When I see that pic of Michael Johnson, I immediately thought: Jason Taylor. Same build, different hair.
-
Yeah, but Taylor's a much better football player (at least at this point). Johnson's more of an athlete who hasn't put it all together yet.
-
This one's actually better:
Come on, AC.
-
Here's a hit of the Taylor Mays variety:
Yes, it drew a flag. But it still was a sweet hit.
More importantly, Curry did that hustling on specials in a game in which Wake was already leading 34-13. What does that say about his character?
-
Here's an interesting interview of Curry by Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.
-
Aloysius said:
Here's an interesting interview of Curry by Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.That was a great interview. I tend to agree with you Alo on picking Curry. This interview did nothing to sway that. He sounds like he really has the maturity and brains to go with his talent. Can't wait to see him in C-town!
-
-
Here's a hit of the Taylor Mays variety:
Yes, it drew a flag. But it still was a sweet hit.
More importantly, Curry did that hustling on specials in a game in which Wake was already leading 34-13. What does that say about his character?
Aloysius said:
Here's a hit of the Taylor Mays variety:Yes, it drew a flag. But it still was a sweet hit.
More importantly, Curry did that hustling on specials in a game in which Wake was already leading 34-13. What does that say about his character?
That was a pretty monster hit. And a conversely weak fair catch signal. What is this, Wimbledon?
Maybe we ought to take a look at that Baylor kid too for hanging on after such a monster hit.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login