Mascots
-
I'll start.
I think this stuff can go too far, like when they object to the name of an Indian tribe - the Seminoles, the Illini, etc. I don't find that offensive at all. But "Redskins" and the Cleveland Indians logo should go. They're remnants from another time.
-
No.
-
No.
No.
Why?
-
Diehard, would you ever walk on up to a Native American and call him "a Redskin?" Would you ever an Indian reservation and say, "Where's the casino, Redskins?"
I'm guessing you wouldn't. I can't imagine anyone in here would do that.
So why is it something you think should be the name of a professional sports franchise in our nation's capital?
-
I guess it comes down to how offensive you think the terms is. If you had an NFL team called the Harlem Niggers that name would probably have been changed by now. Evidently, this name isn't considered offensive enough, by enough people, to warrant changing it.
-
Because I like the name. It's the Indians. I don't really care what out of towners think about it. How about the Atlanta Braves? You forgot them. I like Chief Wahoo also.
-
So
Change = bad
The only reason the name is still around is because there aren't enough native Americans to complain loud enough.
-
Thank god someone has the courage to finally addressed this out rage!
I for one am holding out for a settlement check from the class action suit against the state of Indiana Notre Dame University and the Catholic Church .
Plus if you are listening Gloria Allred wouldn't it be less offensive to call it Notre Woman!!??
And Cougars Jaguars Lions Eagles Seahawks? PETA Where are you!?
And watch out Minnesota Vikings you're next!
WSS
-
...
-
Screw you and your change. Give me change for a hundred.
-
Thank god someone has the courage to finally addressed this out rage!
I for one am holding out for a settlement check from the class action suit against the state of Indiana Notre Dame University and the Catholic Church .
Plus if you are listening Gloria Allred wouldn't it be less offensive to call it Notre Woman!!??
And Cougars Jaguars Lions Eagles Seahawks? PETA Where are you!?
And watch out Minnesota Vikings you're next!
WSS
Thank god someone has the courage to finally addressed this out rage!
I for one am holding out for a settlement check from the class action suit against the state of Indiana Notre Dame University and the Catholic Church .
Plus if you are listening Gloria Allred wouldn't it be less offensive to call it Notre Woman!!??
And Cougars Jaguars Lions Eagles Seahawks? PETA Where are you!?
And watch out Minnesota Vikings you're next!
WSS
Yeah, except not one of the terms you just mentioned is derogatory. Not one.
Snark (and it's not even good snark) and argument are two different things. Do you not think "Redskins" is a derogatory term for Native Americans?
And who do you imagine is offended by the term "Vikings"? Or Notre Dame, which means "Our Lady"?
Do you ever get anything right?
-
The Cleveland Indians were named after Louis Francis Sockalexis, as a honor to the man who played for the Cleveland Spiders. There really is no need to change the name because of that simple fact. I don't think the politically correct crowd knows this, or cares to know this.
-
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
-
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
I did see that. It looks like Chief Wahoo is being slowly phased out over the last few seasons. The "C" dons the hat now, it was used sparingly the last few seasons. Chief Wahoo is only shown on the left sleeve now.
I hate arguing, but why is a smiling Indian face deemed offensive? I don't understand.
-
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
Look at the Fighting Irish logo you humorless dimwit.........
XXOO
WSS
-
You want me to laugh, say something funny! Instead of that tired, predictable dreck you just posted.
You didn't mention the logo. You mentioned Gloria Allred objecting to the name Notre Dame in your head.
And if I'm so humorless, why do they give me awards for my comedy writing?
Are you ever right about anything?
-
Once again, do you think the Irish are offended by that mascot? I never hear of anyone who is. So that's not really relevant either.
Now, about that whole "Redskins" thing...
Do you think that's a derogatory term for Native Americans? Answer a question sometime in the next year.
-
If you look above, we were talking about the logo, not the name.
I did see that. It looks like Chief Wahoo is being slowly phased out over the last few seasons. The "C" dons the hat now, it was used sparingly the last few seasons. Chief Wahoo is only shown on the left sleeve now.
I hate arguing, but why is a smiling Indian face deemed offensive? I don't understand.
I did see that. It looks like Chief Wahoo is being slowly phased out over the last few seasons. The "C" dons the hat now, it was used sparingly the last few seasons. Chief Wahoo is only shown on the left sleeve now.
I hate arguing, but why is a smiling Indian face deemed offensive? I don't understand.
Because it's not seen as a "smiling Indian." It's seen as a racist caricature of a smiling Indian, which is why someone drew up the equivalent logos for Jews and Chinese.
-
Some group, liberals mostly, always crave being victimized.
As usual, to change something so they can rule it, and open up a
dialogue about a civil lawsuit/legal attempt to win lottery action.
No.
-
You liberals are strange. I hope they keep it like that forever just to piss you off.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login