Survey: Lucky, Lucky Lucky
-
And let's face it, there is a reason you hear this song at every wedding, dance or DJ event. It is just one hell of a catchy tune that you cannot help but like:
-
Here is today's survey, the theme of which is "Luck" in that Dan LeBatard of ESPN who is a Miami native acknowledged that the Miami Heat were very lucky to win the NBA title....and he stated that pure luck has been a huge factor in any number of Championship runs by major league team (both good luck and bad luck).
1. So here it is: Name like 5 teams...or persons who won a championship where pure luck played a major factor in their victory (actually, it can be in any sport....even individual sports like golf, tennis etc.)
2. Contarily, name like 5 teams or persons who had decidedly bad luck in losing a championship.
3. Next theme is: most exciting championship deciding game. I have heard on the radio that many think that last night's NHL Championship winning game for the Chicago Blackhawks where they won with 2 goals in the last minute was the most exciting game in NHL Stanley cup Finals history.
Who am I to argue, so lets take that as a given.
Name what you think are THE most exciting games in NFL, MLB, and NBA championship history:
4. Also, this morning on the radio I heard that some "musicologist" in England put out her list of the "Catchiest Tunes" in history. When I heard the list I could only agree with a couple of them. Some of the songs and bands I had never heard of. (I think they were more local British bands)
Name your 5 "catchiest" tunes.
5. Here is a subject we have done before....but just this morning when I turned on my computer I saw that Yahoo had a poll on this very subject: Name your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland Browns, i.e. name the 4 most important figures in the history of the Browns.
Here is today's survey, the theme of which is "Luck" in that Dan LeBatard of ESPN who is a Miami native acknowledged that the Miami Heat were very lucky to win the NBA title....and he stated that pure luck has been a huge factor in any number of Championship runs by major league team (both good luck and bad luck).
1. So here it is: Name like 5 teams...or persons who won a championship where pure luck played a major factor in their victory (actually, it can be in any sport....even individual sports like golf, tennis etc.)
Super Bowl XLII "The Helmet Catch" (not to mention Mannings escape from being sacked)
Franco Harris "The Immaculate Reception"
NC State wins NCAA basketball title when Whittenberg's air ball is put in by teammate
Fluties hail Mary pass when BC beat Miami
Laettner's last second shot to beat Kentucky in regional final 1992
2. Contarily, name like 5 teams or persons who had decidedly bad luck in losing a championship.
John Elway losing 56-7 to Niners in Super Bowl 1990
Phil Mickelson in the 06 US Open
Chris Webber calling timeout in 93 championship game (after he travelled on the inbound pass)
Norwood missing field goal against Giants in Super Bowl
Oilers giving up a 35-3 lead to Bills in a playoff game
3. Next theme is: most exciting championship deciding game. I have heard on the radio that many think that last night's NHL Championship winning game for the Chicago Blackhawks where they won with 2 goals in the last minute was the most exciting game in NHL Stanley cup Finals history.
Who am I to argue, so lets take that as a given.
Name what you think are THE most exciting games in NFL, MLB, and NBA championship history:
Not championship games but just two of my favorites
Music City Miracle and
4. Also, this morning on the radio I heard that some "musicologist" in England put out her list of the "Catchiest Tunes" in history. When I heard the list I could only agree with a couple of them. Some of the songs and bands I had never heard of. (I think they were more local British bands)
Name your 5 "catchiest" tunes.
Genesis I Know What I Want
Stones Street Fighting Man
James Brown Living in America
George Thorogood Bad to the Bone
U2 Where the Streets Have No Name
5. Here is a subject we have done before....but just this morning when I turned on my computer I saw that Yahoo had a poll on this very subject: Name your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland Browns, i.e. name the 4 most important figures in the history of the Browns.
Paul Brown, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Brian Sipe,
-
Here is the "scientists" list that prompted this question:
1. “We Are the Champions,” by Queen
2. “Y.M.C.A.,” by The Village People
3. “Fat Lip,” by Sum 41
4. “The Final Countdown,” by Europe
5. “Monster,” by The Automatic
6. “Ruby,” by The Kaiser Chiefs
7. “I’m Always Here,” by Jimi Jamison
8. “Brown Eyed Girl,” by Van Morrison
9. “Teenage Dirtbag,” by Wheatus
10. “Livin’ on a Prayer,” by Bon Jovi
Except for YMCA and Brown Eyed Girl, I don't get it. Maybe some of these are newer teenybopperish songs that I would never pay any attention to.
-
Another definite bad luck dude was Jean Van de Velde who had the British Open in the bag until the very last hole when he completely blew up by hitting a ball in a knee deep trough. He could have won the Open with a double bogey....but he made triple bogey on that hole.
-
Here is today's survey, the theme of which is "Luck" in that Dan LeBatard of ESPN who is a Miami native acknowledged that the Miami Heat were very lucky to win the NBA title....and he stated that pure luck has been a huge factor in any number of Championship runs by major league team (both good luck and bad luck).
1. So here it is: Name like 5 teams...or persons who won a championship where pure luck played a major factor in their victory (actually, it can be in any sport....even individual sports like golf, tennis etc.)
2. Contarily, name like 5 teams or persons who had decidedly bad luck in losing a championship.
3. Next theme is: most exciting championship deciding game. I have heard on the radio that many think that last night's NHL Championship winning game for the Chicago Blackhawks where they won with 2 goals in the last minute was the most exciting game in NHL Stanley cup Finals history.
Who am I to argue, so lets take that as a given.
Name what you think are THE most exciting games in NFL, MLB, and NBA championship history:
4. Also, this morning on the radio I heard that some "musicologist" in England put out her list of the "Catchiest Tunes" in history. When I heard the list I could only agree with a couple of them. Some of the songs and bands I had never heard of. (I think they were more local British bands)
Name your 5 "catchiest" tunes.
5. Here is a subject we have done before....but just this morning when I turned on my computer I saw that Yahoo had a poll on this very subject: Name your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland Browns, i.e. name the 4 most important figures in the history of the Browns.
Here is today's survey, the theme of which is "Luck" in that Dan LeBatard of ESPN who is a Miami native acknowledged that the Miami Heat were very lucky to win the NBA title....and he stated that pure luck has been a huge factor in any number of Championship runs by major league team (both good luck and bad luck).
1. So here it is: Name like 5 teams...or persons who won a championship where pure luck played a major factor in their victory (actually, it can be in any sport....even individual sports like golf, tennis etc.)
1) Bob Goalby wins Masters when Roberto DeVincenzo signs an incorrect scorecard 1968
2) Pittsburgh Steelers beat Indianapolis and go on to win Superbowl, after the guy who recovered Jerome Bettis' fumble on the goal line was somehow tackled by Big Ben....the guy (name escapes me) was stabbed in the leg by his girlfriend the night before and would have scored a TD otherwise.
3) Tom Brady's "tuck rule" BS that cost the Raiders a win in New England
4) NY Mets get lucky when Bill Buckner somehow muffed the grounder in 1986 World Series in game 6, Mets win game 7 for title
5) Ernie Els got a free drop in US Open when he stated a scaffolding truck was in his view, and he got a free drop out of thick rough
2. Contarily, name like 5 teams or persons who had decidedly bad luck in losing a championship.
1) Greg Norman, snake bit many times, especially in Majors by miracle shots by another player
2) Oakland Raiders in 1977 vs. Denver (Rob Lytle fumbled) , Tuck Rule vs Patriots, and 1972 Immaculate Deflection vs Steelers
3) Minnesota Vikings lost to Dallas in NFC Championship on a Hail Mary, and WR (Pearson) pushed off, no offensive interference called 1975
4) Browns vs. Broncos in 1986 & 87 AFC Championship games
5) Tom Watson in British Open a few years ago, ball goes through the green on 72nd hole and he bogeys to lose at age 60
3. Next theme is: most exciting championship deciding game. I have heard on the radio that many think that last night's NHL Championship winning game for the Chicago Blackhawks where they won with 2 goals in the last minute was the most exciting game in NHL Stanley cup Finals history.
Who am I to argue, so lets take that as a given.
Name what you think are THE most exciting games in NFL, MLB, and NBA championship history:
1) NFL- NY Giants over Buffalo in the wide-right game
2) MLB- Reds over Red Sox 4-3 in World Series
3)NBA-Havlicek Stole the Ball 1965
4. Also, this morning on the radio I heard that some "musicologist" in England put out her list of the "Catchiest Tunes" in history. When I heard the list I could only agree with a couple of them. Some of the songs and bands I had never heard of. (I think they were more local British bands)
Name your 5 "catchiest" tunes.
1) Smoke on the Water, Deep Purple
2) Paranoid, Black Sabbath
3) Stayin' Alive, Bee Gees
4) School's Out, Alice Cooper
5) Born to Run, Springsteen
5. Here is a subject we have done before....but just this morning when I turned on my computer I saw that Yahoo had a poll on this very subject: Name your Mount Rushmore of Cleveland Browns, i.e. name the 4 most important figures in the history of the Browns.
1) Paul Brown
2) Otto Graham
3) Lou Groza
4) Jim Brown
-
Bob, that Carlton Fisk waiving the ball fair game does have to be one of the most exciting MLB games ever.
-
Speaking of Luck, here is a Bleacher Report article about the luckiest and unluckiest teams of the 2012 NFL season:
-
Bob, that Carlton Fisk waiving the ball fair game does have to be one of the most exciting MLB games ever.
Bob, that Carlton Fisk waiving the ball fair game does have to be one of the most exciting MLB games ever.
yea, it was exciting but the reds spanked them in game seven
-
The luckiest play that benefited the Browns might have been in Baltimore a few years ago. Phil Dawson's FG was initially ruled no good as time ran out, but the refs looked at the replay (which was against the replay rules). It was ruled 'good" and we went on to win in OT.
Normally, the Browns are screwed by replay, so this was truly lucky.
-
of course that's part of the game. Crying about luck is for the guy that lost. I remember a golf match where the fellow hit over a hundred yards from the rough that went in. The announcer was interviewing him and asked how that felt. He answered well that's what I was aiming for.
WSS
-
of course that's part of the game. Crying about luck is for the guy that lost. I remember a golf match where the fellow hit over a hundred yards from the rough that went in. The announcer was interviewing him and asked how that felt. He answered well that's what I was aiming for.
WSS
of course that's part of the game. Crying about luck is for the guy that lost. I remember a golf match where the fellow hit over a hundred yards from the rough that went in. The announcer was interviewing him and asked how that felt. He answered well that's what I was aiming for.
WSS
Except that the article by Lebatard....who is from Miami, acknowledged the luck involved for the Heat to win. So it is not always about the loser. Any winner that clearly got lucky is foolish not to acknowledge it.
-
Lucky play #1:
-
Lucky play #2
-
Lucky play #3
-
D-backs, lucky to get to Rivera
-
Unlucky play. Rangers one strike away.
-
Unlucky play. Wide Right
-
More Unlucky plays as a result of bad calls. The Denkinger bad call is rated only #6? That is BS. (soccer and hockey bad calls shouldn't count). I could see the blown call to ruin a perfect game at #1.
-
John Elway losing 56-7 to Niners in Super Bowl 1990
I guess you will have to explain to me how this was 'unlucky'. It sounds like a total ass whipping. No luck involved.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login