Skip to content

Man Of Steel

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
52 9 3.4k
  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

    Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

  • Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

    Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @hoorta said:

    Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

    Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

    I agree that it started out well, but then yes, it just became an "effects" film....to the point of boredom.

    The original Christopher Reeves film, even with it somewhat campiness, was a better movie.

    And the intermittent flashbacks to his "boyhood" with Jonathan Kent to me caused the movie to be somewhat sloppy. That technique, to me, washed out Costner's character.

    I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

    I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Hatcher_Cain_LnCjpg.jpg

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #4

    ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

    did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

    not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #5

    I apologize to you guys I have at least a half-dozen reviews I have to post when I get back from the island this coming weekend.

  • I apologize to you guys I have at least a half-dozen reviews I have to post when I get back from the island this coming weekend.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @westside-steve said:

    I apologize to you guys I have at least a half-dozen reviews I have to post when I get back from the island this coming weekend.

    i'm from sandusky. tell me you were at kelly's island and i'll be you're #1 fan.

    BUT as seeing you're posts and realizing that you are a man of high intellect let's hope you took a week off and hit the bahamas or jamaica 'mon.

    the grass grows dark and dank off the tropics. 😉

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #7

    Ha

    Actually Put In Bay.

    Playing there for my 25th year!

    WSS

  • Ha

    Actually Put In Bay.

    Playing there for my 25th year!

    WSS

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @westside-steve said:

    Ha

    Actually Put In Bay.

    Playing there for my 25th year!

    WSS

    off topic.....

    you have to have a separate westside steve performance pics gallery.

    i'd love to see put-in-bay with you on stage.

    i'm talkin 1975 making the first trip from sandusky to that spot (and others) just to have a great time.

    i'm sure it's still that way.

  • ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

    did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

    not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @miktoxic said:

    ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

    did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

    not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

    Problem Mik is- you up the blood & gore, you risk an "R" rating- which cuts down your audience somewhat. IIRC, spurting blood will do that to a film.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Ha

    Actually Put In Bay.

    Playing there for my 25th year!

    WSS

    off topic.....

    you have to have a separate westside steve performance pics gallery.

    i'd love to see put-in-bay with you on stage.

    i'm talkin 1975 making the first trip from sandusky to that spot (and others) just to have a great time.

    i'm sure it's still that way.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @miktoxic said:

    off topic.....

    you have to have a separate westside steve performance pics gallery.

    i'd love to see put-in-bay with you on stage.

    i'm talkin 1975 making the first trip from sandusky to that spot (and others) just to have a great time.

    i'm sure it's still that way.

    well there is a lot of different stuff @ youtube.com front slash Westside Steve Simmons.

    and I update my schedule on the regular Westside Steve website with sudden entries as to daily possible changes at Facebook Westside Steve Simmons.

  • @miktoxic said:

    ok, haven't seen this yet but i do have a question about this (another) super hero movie:

    did anyone get crushed, ripped apart or explode?

    not saying that that's what i'm looking for in a film, just that these past movies are just plain watered down for the kids. xmen, the avengers, even the transformer series...i mean no human dies in these movies? and if by some all powerful alien foe who could throw you to kansas, i mean really?

    Problem Mik is- you up the blood & gore, you risk an "R" rating- which cuts down your audience somewhat. IIRC, spurting blood will do that to a film.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @hoorta said:

    Problem Mik is- you up the blood & gore, you risk an "R" rating- which cuts down your audience somewhat. IIRC, spurting blood will do that to a film.

    exactly.

    WSS

  • @hoorta said:

    Don't get over here that often, but my .02 about this movie. I'm all about action adventure, but IMHO- they let the FX take over this movie. As wifie said, how many times they have to show bullets and rockets won't hurt the bad guys either? Still worth seeing.

    Story is OK (Superman purists will not agree) And casting is spot on. Russell Crowe as Jor-el, and Amy Adams is smoking hot as Lois Lane.

    I agree that it started out well, but then yes, it just became an "effects" film....to the point of boredom.

    The original Christopher Reeves film, even with it somewhat campiness, was a better movie.

    And the intermittent flashbacks to his "boyhood" with Jonathan Kent to me caused the movie to be somewhat sloppy. That technique, to me, washed out Costner's character.

    I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

    I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #12

    @the-gipper said:

    I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

    I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

    man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

    Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

  • JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Wished that they would had picked out Teri Hatcher as she was strong willed and really did not put up with any bull. But she is older than Henry Cavil!

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Every Superman movie, TV show, or cartoon I have ever seen was gay.

    Amy Adams I like.

    Margot Kidder? Please.

    Z

  • @the-gipper said:

    I am less enamored with Amy Adams in the role than you were. But then I didn't care for Margot Kidder either.

    I think the best Lois Lane I have seen is perhaps Teri Hatcher. Ten time hotter than either Kidder or Adams....but also "down to earth" that the Lois Lane role call's for.

    man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

    Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #15

    @hoorta said:

    man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

    Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

    Yea, I guess we WILL disagree on that. Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

    (and, if any man thinks that Amy Adams is hotter than Teri Hatcher, then I will say there is a man with twisted testicles. Not that I dislike Amy. I have liked her in many things...and she wasn't "bad" here. Just not my ideal for the role)

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I think it's impossible to translate that medieval type of infatuated love into modern sensibility. Also I agree that Cate Blanchett to my way of thinking isn't really drop dead gorgeous but she is a force in the acting world. Margot Kidder?

    also hard to translate is the infatuation young kid has with Superman comics into a big screen extravaganza through the eyes of a grown up. I'm not sure that annie adaptation has captured Superman for me. I just think they need to try to be more consistent with what I remember as the legend. And yes there hve been changes upon changes over the years so...

    My idea of Lois is someone who's constantly trying to prove her hunch that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same.

    Actually I thought Tom Welling was a fine Superman but sometimes it was a chore to watch that show.

    WSS

  • I think it's impossible to translate that medieval type of infatuated love into modern sensibility. Also I agree that Cate Blanchett to my way of thinking isn't really drop dead gorgeous but she is a force in the acting world. Margot Kidder?

    also hard to translate is the infatuation young kid has with Superman comics into a big screen extravaganza through the eyes of a grown up. I'm not sure that annie adaptation has captured Superman for me. I just think they need to try to be more consistent with what I remember as the legend. And yes there hve been changes upon changes over the years so...

    My idea of Lois is someone who's constantly trying to prove her hunch that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same.

    Actually I thought Tom Welling was a fine Superman but sometimes it was a chore to watch that show.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @westside-steve said:

    I think it's impossible to translate that medieval type of infatuated love into modern sensibility. Also I agree that Cate Blanchett to my way of thinking isn't really drop dead gorgeous but she is a force in the acting world. Margot Kidder?

    also hard to translate is the infatuation young kid has with Superman comics into a big screen extravaganza through the eyes of a grown up. I'm not sure that annie adaptation has captured Superman for me. I just think they need to try to be more consistent with what I remember as the legend. And yes there hve been changes upon changes over the years so...

    My idea of Lois is someone who's constantly trying to prove her hunch that Superman and Clark Kent are one and the same.

    Actually I thought Tom Welling was a fine Superman but sometimes it was a chore to watch that show.

    WSS

    Yea, I thought he was very good in Smallville. And I loved Kristin Kreuk...whether of not she was "ideal". And the Lois Lane, while not ideal, was certainly 'hot'. Don't recall the actresses name.

  • @hoorta said:

    man-of-steel-lois-lane-s-professionalism

    Sorry we'll just have to disagree there Gip. And FWIW, me & wifie have had a long running debate as to who would have made a more "Elvish" Galadriel in LOTR- Margo Kidder,or Kate Blanchette- I would have picked Kidder in a heartbeat. (Saroise Ronan unfortunately would have been too young at the time) Kate probably got the role because she's almost 6' tall- I don't think she's anywhere near the "most beautiful elf in the world" not by a long shot.

    Yea, I guess we WILL disagree on that. Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

    (and, if any man thinks that Amy Adams is hotter than Teri Hatcher, then I will say there is a man with twisted testicles. Not that I dislike Amy. I have liked her in many things...and she wasn't "bad" here. Just not my ideal for the role)

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #18

    @the-gipper said:

    Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

    ^+100.

    cate blanchette has amazed me in every movie she's made. to say she isn't beautiful means you know squadoosh about beauty. her scenes in 'benjamin button' are unbelieveable. and yes i did get a chubby seeing her in LOR. but that actually detracts from her acting ability.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Cate Blanchette is one of the best actresses in the last 50 years, Margot Kidder one of the worst. Though I also don't think that Cate is an absolute beauty, her gravitas is what helps her excel in that role.

    ^+100.

    cate blanchette has amazed me in every movie she's made. to say she isn't beautiful means you know squadoosh about beauty. her scenes in 'benjamin button' are unbelieveable. and yes i did get a chubby seeing her in LOR. but that actually detracts from her acting ability.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @miktoxic said:

    ^+100.

    cate blanchette has amazed me in every movie she's made. to say she isn't beautiful means you know squadoosh about beauty. her scenes in 'benjamin button' are unbelieveable. and yes i did get a chubby seeing her in LOR. but that actually detracts from her acting ability.

    OK, I submit. Cate is gorgeous.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #20

    It was meh for Me and the fact they based his family Kansas was a huge "no-no" for Me...Superman is and will always be an Ohioan to Me...The producers really dropped the ball I think and turned superman into some fucked up EMO dude.