Skip to content

Giving Lerner some credit

The Browns Board
37 15 2.0k
  • Ill take him over Ralph Wilson or Al Davis any day. He may, in the end, prove himself inept, but at least he's been trying and is fairly free of meddling.

  • Ill take him over Ralph Wilson or Al Davis any day. He may, in the end, prove himself inept, but at least he's been trying and is fairly free of meddling.

    @budcarson said:

    Ill take him over Ralph Wilson or Al Davis any day. He may, in the end, prove himself inept, but at least he's been trying and is fairly free of meddling.

    This thread is becomming more bizarre. You're painting Al Davis and Ralph Wilson with the same brush? Where did that come from?

  • i'm more confused. So if Mangini wins, but doesn't have a successful QB by NFL (or this Board's) standards, then he is a failure? Please explain.

    @roach said:

    i'm more confused. So if Mangini wins, but doesn't have a successful QB by NFL (or this Board's) standards, then he is a failure? Please explain.

    Oh, I get where we're not connecting. I think the QB play determines the success of a team more than any other factor. I guess you can have a winner with poor QB play, but it is less likely. If Quinn is below average or flops and is replaced, but the Browns are winning, I'll take it for sure. I just don't think its likely for Quinn to fail AND the Browns to succeed in '09. They'll at least give Quinn 8 games I'd imagine, and if he fails, then '09 will be a repeat of '08 I fear.

  • @roach said:

    i'm more confused. So if Mangini wins, but doesn't have a successful QB by NFL (or this Board's) standards, then he is a failure? Please explain.

    Oh, I get where we're not connecting. I think the QB play determines the success of a team more than any other factor. I guess you can have a winner with poor QB play, but it is less likely. If Quinn is below average or flops and is replaced, but the Browns are winning, I'll take it for sure. I just don't think its likely for Quinn to fail AND the Browns to succeed in '09. They'll at least give Quinn 8 games I'd imagine, and if he fails, then '09 will be a repeat of '08 I fear.

    @oconrecon said:

    If Quinn is below average or flops and is replaced, but the Browns are winning, I'll take it for sure. I just don't think its likely for Quinn to fail AND the Browns to succeed in '09. They'll at least give Quinn 8 games I'd imagine, and if he fails, then '09 will be a repeat of '08 I fear.

    Now i'm with ya. If we go into the season with DA at the helm out of necessity, i don't think most on this Board are as mature as you are about that. You are a true Browns fan. Are you coming to a tailgate?

  • @oconrecon said:

    If Quinn is below average or flops and is replaced, but the Browns are winning, I'll take it for sure. I just don't think its likely for Quinn to fail AND the Browns to succeed in '09. They'll at least give Quinn 8 games I'd imagine, and if he fails, then '09 will be a repeat of '08 I fear.

    Now i'm with ya. If we go into the season with DA at the helm out of necessity, i don't think most on this Board are as mature as you are about that. You are a true Browns fan. Are you coming to a tailgate?

    @roach said:

    Are you coming to a tailgate?

    Going to have to at one point. This is the best Browns board going by a mile. Need to meet some face to face.

    (Re-reading my initial post, I wasn't very clear. All good now)

  • I have to throw this out there regarding Shanahan & Pioli & the FACTS as stated....here are a couple FACTS:

    1) Pioli is UNPROVEN at the GM level.

    2) In the last THREE years (which is what Mangini is judged on), Shanahan has a "500" record, 24W & 24L, with NO playoff appearances, & he had HOW many years, post Elway, to rebuild his program?

    The above 2 items ARE facts, & recent history doesn't tell me that that pairing would have been our best bet. Given almost even records & 1 playoff appearance by Mangini, I would go with the younger guy every time. I preferred Mangini over Shanahan from the start, but that's just my preference. We'll see what happens down the road, but Shanahan would certainly NOT have been a guaranteed step up.

    Mike

  • They throw a great tailgate. I wish I could have made the ones they did. Or they did when I could.

    Roach is a good guy......

  • Amen CM. 100% agree.

    Piloi has Bellicheck and Brady. Who knows how he'll pan out. Not bummed at all.

    Shannahan had Elway (although I will give him credit for turing no-names into high yardage RB's, but this is cancelled by his decision to take the entire Browns D-line after a pretty awful defensive year).

  • They throw a great tailgate. I wish I could have made the ones they did. Or they did when I could.

    Roach is a good guy......

    @ballpeen said:

    Roach is a good guy......

    Thanks. But a hamburger is a hamburger..........

    Stan is the man.

  • Dungy is definitely a Christian, and a vocal one. Imagine how excited Indy must be to be free from that freak!

  • @budcarson said:

    Ill take him over Ralph Wilson or Al Davis any day. He may, in the end, prove himself inept, but at least he's been trying and is fairly free of meddling.

    This thread is becomming more bizarre. You're painting Al Davis and Ralph Wilson with the same brush? Where did that come from?

    @roach said:

    This thread is becomming more bizarre. You're painting Al Davis and Ralph Wilson with the same brush? Where did that come from?

    Not painting them with the same brush: Ralph Wilson is cheap and does little by way of trying to make the team better lately. Al Davis micromanages and does more meddling than almost any owner in pro sports. Lerner, to date, is guilty of neither. Not sure how that makes the thread bizarre - just pointing out a couple of possible strenths in a thread that was originally about cutting the owner some slack and giving him credit where its due.

  • Masters said:

    Sure I can. It isn't fact. It's opinion. It requires leaping to the assumption that Pioli wasn't BB's lacking and that the two guys can work well together.

    I like the hiring of Mangini. At the time of his hiring, he was the most experienced HCing canidate and he wasn't a bad HC with the Jets, and they were foolish to fire him.

    Of course you are busting his balls. You complaining about who he didn't get and leaping to the assumption that those he didn't get will end up better.

    I disagree, and I guess it is opinion but its based on the fact that Shanahan is a superbowl winning coach and Mangini up to this point is a sub .500 head coach. On paper Shanahan is better, to me you cant dispute that but everybody views things differently I guess.

    Pioli was the hottest prospect GM and before we knew we wasnt going to get him everybody on this board wanted him and thought he was the best out there. Now that we decided not to hire him, Kokinis a guy nobody was talking about is suppose to be better? Why, because that is who we ended up with? On paper to me, Pioli was the guy everybody wanted.

    We are talking on paper here because thats all we have to base anything on. Now in a few years, Mangini and Kokinis may end up better, for the browns sake lets hope so, but at this point I dont believe you can say they are better.

    I am questioning Lerner yes, but I think past history has to make you question him, but I'm not calling for the guy to sell the team. I just want him to put a winner together.

    @eqrulz101 said:

    I disagree, and I guess it is opinion but its based on the fact that Shanahan is a superbowl winning coach and Mangini up to this point is a sub .500 head coach. On paper Shanahan is better, to me you cant dispute that but everybody views things differently I guess.

    Pioli was the hottest prospect GM and before we knew we wasnt going to get him everybody on this board wanted him and thought he was the best out there. Now that we decided not to hire him, Kokinis a guy nobody was talking about is suppose to be better? Why, because that is who we ended up with? On paper to me, Pioli was the guy everybody wanted.

    We are talking on paper here because thats all we have to base anything on. Now in a few years, Mangini and Kokinis may end up better, for the browns sake lets hope so, but at this point I dont believe you can say they are better.

    I am questioning Lerner yes, but I think past history has to make you question him, but I'm not calling for the guy to sell the team. I just want him to put a winner together.

    Fair on Shanahan for winning SBs. But what has he done since John Elway retired? Mangini had two winning seasons in his first 3 as a HC. For me it's hard to say who of the two is really the better HC. Shanahan hasn't done anything anything in 10 years and playes in the AFC west, which has been a weak division for 10+ years.

    Accorsi has been pitching Kokinis for two years now, and recommended him over Dimitroff, who turned ATL around (and Accorsi recommended him as well). Pioli has been the pretty girl at the dance for 5 years now, but just now finally decided to leave. I wasn't opposed to him by any means. But he's a crap shoot as much as Kokinis is.

    To me, both combo's are equal crap shoots. You have Pioli/Shanahan on paper, which is one guy in BB shadow (and that hasn't worked out too well for guys who were with him in major roles for a long time), and a coach who hasn't done anything since John Elway was his QB.

    Then you have Kokinis who has been in Ozzie's shadow (that didn't work out too well last time CLE went that route), and a coach who had 2 winning seasons in his first 3 years as a HC, in the spotlight of NYC.

    So to me, I see equal risk, at best.

  • i'm more confused. So if Mangini wins, but doesn't have a successful QB by NFL (or this Board's) standards, then he is a failure? Please explain.

    @roach said:

    i'm more confused. So if Mangini wins, but doesn't have a successful QB by NFL (or this Board's) standards, then he is a failure? Please explain.

    It's pretty rare to have winning seasons and an unsuccessful QB by NFL standards.