Training Camp Battles
-
The kicker will be a battle. I would like to see others involved besides the 2 we have now..... Graham probably has the edge now
-
As I gather it, here are the primary battles for spots up for grabs during training camp:
Offensive guard: though there are others in the mix (like Faulk and other UDFAs) the primary battle will be for the two OG spots among three people: Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco
Who wins?
#2 Cornerback. The spot opposite Joe Haden will be contested between Leon McFadden, Buster Skrine, and Chris Owens. Whoever doesn't earn starter will still see plenty of action as nickelcorner.
Who wins?
Free Safety: Tashaun Gipson, Jamoris Slaughter and John Bademosi will compete.
Though, rumor has it that Kerry Rhodes may still indeed be in the mix for the Browns.
Sports Illustrated says he is looking at 4 teams: Panthers/Browns/Vikings/Jets.
Who wins?
Backup RB: Who will carry the load when it is not TR. Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis, Chris Obganaya, Bandon Jackson.
Who wins?
#2 Tight End. Barnidge, Gronkowski, Kellen Davis, Brad Smelley all in the mix behind Jordan Cameron.
Who wins?
Backup WR: You have essentially 3 starters: Little, Gordon, Bess. Who sticks to back them up: Travis Benjamin, David Nelson, Josh Cooper, Jordon Norwoood, Keenan Davis
Who winns?
Any other spots you think is up for grabs? There may be some backup DL spots.
As I gather it, here are the primary battles for spots up for grabs during training camp:
Offensive guard: though there are others in the mix (like Faulk and other UDFAs) the primary battle will be for the two OG spots among three people: Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco
Who wins?
Greco & Luavao. By all accounts, Greco played well last season as a starter, so the competition is for the other spot. A bit of a flier, but I just have a gut feeling Luavao will win it.
#2 Cornerback. The spot opposite Joe Haden will be contested between Leon McFadden, Buster Skrine, and Chris Owens. Whoever doesn't earn starter will still see plenty of action as nickelcorner.
Who wins?
By the end of the season, it'll be McFadden. Not sure who'll start, hopefully McFadden, but possibly Skrine, because of his experience.
Free Safety: Tashaun Gipson, Jamoris Slaughter and John Bademosi will compete.
Though, rumor has it that Kerry Rhodes may still indeed be in the mix for the Browns.
Sports Illustrated says he is looking at 4 teams: Panthers/Browns/Vikings/Jets.
Who wins?
Again, by end of season, Slaughter for sure. I think he might even win the job by game 1.
Backup RB: Who will carry the load when it is not TR. Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis, Chris Obganaya, Bandon Jackson.
Who wins?
Have a feeling it won't be Hardesty. He's out of contract next summer, and the FO clearly likes Lewis, and also the other guy not on the list - Maysonet? Ogbonnaya might get the 3rd downs, and/or perform full back duties and catch the odd pass.
#2 Tight End. Barnidge, Gronkowski, Kellen Davis, Brad Smelley all in the mix behind Jordan Cameron.
Who wins?
Barnidge. He just will.
Backup WR: You have essentially 3 starters: Little, Gordon, Bess. Who sticks to back them up: Travis Benjamin, David Nelson, Josh Cooper, Jordon Norwoood, Keenan Davis
Who winns?
Benjamin and Nelson, depending on the plays. In red zone, Benjamin's speed is negated, but Nelson's height is invaluable.
Any other spots you think is up for grabs? There may be some backup DL spots.
I think ILB is up for grabs. Certainly it's too early to say Robertson is the sure fire starter for 16 games. But I do think it's his job to lose.
-
It's down to Pinkston v Luvey at Guard, Greco just locked in a 5 year deal!
-
Greco is the right guard, write it down. His run blocking stats last year (PFF) were basically unparalleled. He's a really good player just now getting recognized (and paid).
Left guard will be Pinkston. Lauvao makes the team. Lacks movement and pass blocking of other two.
Gipson V. Slaughter is what it'll come down to because I really believe Bademosi will move back to corner or be seen as a swing guy. Just my gut. Gipson wins. He's a serious playah.
I don't THINK we'll sign Rhodes. But it could happen. I'd be cool with it.
At the outside corner opposite Haden, it'll be Owens V. McFadden because Skrine is so good in the slot. Tough call. I really can't say. I tend to think McFadden is the more talented player over the long haul but Owens' stats when on the outside in Atlanta are really impressive. Some good players at corner.
Cameron is the starting TE but I can see him and combos of Barnidge and Davis on the field together. WRs (when back together) are clearly Gordon, Little, and Bess. On the field with some regularity will be Benjamin and Nelson.
Again: I like this squad. A lot.
-
Speaking of battles-
Apparently a fistfight broke out a short while ago.
"@MaryKayCabot: Fisticuffs just broke out at #browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
-
Speaking of battles-
Apparently a fistfight broke out a short while ago.
"@MaryKayCabot: Fisticuffs just broke out at #browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
-
Speaking of battles-
Apparently a fistfight broke out a short while ago.
"@MaryKayCabot: Fisticuffs just broke out at #browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
#browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
too much malt o' men instead of malt o' meal.
-
Speaking of battles-
Apparently a fistfight broke out a short while ago.
"@MaryKayCabot: Fisticuffs just broke out at #browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
Speaking of battles-
Apparently a fistfight broke out a short while ago.
"@MaryKayCabot: Fisticuffs just broke out at #browns practice and I saw joe thomas at the bottom of the pile."
Nothing wrong with their top player getting a little feisty.
-
wonder if Joe was trying to break it up or involved specifically. typically peeps on the bottom are getting it handed to them. spells 'feisty-ass d-line' to me...and I LIKE IT.
-
As I gather it, here are the primary battles for spots up for grabs during training camp:
Offensive guard: though there are others in the mix (like Faulk and other UDFAs) the primary battle will be for the two OG spots among three people: Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco
Who wins?
#2 Cornerback. The spot opposite Joe Haden will be contested between Leon McFadden, Buster Skrine, and Chris Owens. Whoever doesn't earn starter will still see plenty of action as nickelcorner.
Who wins?
Free Safety: Tashaun Gipson, Jamoris Slaughter and John Bademosi will compete.
Though, rumor has it that Kerry Rhodes may still indeed be in the mix for the Browns.
Sports Illustrated says he is looking at 4 teams: Panthers/Browns/Vikings/Jets.
Who wins?
Backup RB: Who will carry the load when it is not TR. Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis, Chris Obganaya, Bandon Jackson.
Who wins?
#2 Tight End. Barnidge, Gronkowski, Kellen Davis, Brad Smelley all in the mix behind Jordan Cameron.
Who wins?
Backup WR: You have essentially 3 starters: Little, Gordon, Bess. Who sticks to back them up: Travis Benjamin, David Nelson, Josh Cooper, Jordon Norwoood, Keenan Davis
Who winns?
Any other spots you think is up for grabs? There may be some backup DL spots.
As I gather it, here are the primary battles for spots up for grabs during training camp:
Offensive guard: though there are others in the mix (like Faulk and other UDFAs) the primary battle will be for the two OG spots among three people: Pinkston, Lauvao, Greco
Who wins?
I think that Pinkston is better than Lauvao, but it just all depends how quickly Pinkston can get back to playing shape. Don't count Greco in as the sure fire starter either. The language in his contract gives him 14 million as a starter over 5 years, but only 6 million if he doesn't. He needs to put in as much effort as everyone else if he wants to play.
#2 Cornerback. The spot opposite Joe Haden will be contested between Leon McFadden, Buster Skrine, and Chris Owens. Whoever doesn't earn starter will still see plenty of action as nickelcorner.
Who wins?
I don't think Owens in in any consideration to start at the moment. Maybe he comes in and plays outside when they go to nickle. Skrine has been getting the first team reps and I think he continue to hold them and they move him over to the slot in nickle situations. I think McFadden can push him later in camp and maybe take over the starting spot later in the season.
Free Safety: Tashaun Gipson, Jamoris Slaughter and John Bademosi will compete.
Though, rumor has it that Kerry Rhodes may still indeed be in the mix for the Browns.
Sports Illustrated says he is looking at 4 teams: Panthers/Browns/Vikings/Jets.
Who wins?
Gipson, hands down. That isn't to say I don't see Bademosi and to a slightly less extend Stlaughter playing potentially big roles in the defense this year, I just see that as versitile options. Horton said that Bademosi is going to be moved around alot between CB/FS and Slaughter seems more like a SS/Star position player. Harder hitting close to the line blitzing safety.
Backup RB: Who will carry the load when it is not TR. Montario Hardesty, Dion Lewis, Chris Obganaya, Bandon Jackson.
Who wins?
Hard to tell. I don't see Hardesty being the #2 and honestly might be on the roster bubble unless he can show without a resonable doubt that he has fixed his catching issues. Jackson will be cut before the preseason is over. Obi will work a flex RB possition where he comes into the game with TR and lines up as a double backer or FB and Lewis will be Turners new Sproules. I honestly think that Maysonet is going to push Hardesty for the 4th RB spot and it will come down to who ever shows that they are the better pass catcher. I wouldn't be surprises to see who ever does make it be the litteral back up to Richardson and to only see time if/when Richardson comes out with an injury.
#2 Tight End. Barnidge, Gronkowski, Kellen Davis, Brad Smelley all in the mix behind Jordan Cameron.
Who wins?
I think the starters are honestly down to Cameron and Bernidge. If Cameron remains healthy all camp, expect him to be TE #1 and Benardge TE #2. If Cameron keeps getting these little pissy ass injuries that force him out for 1 or 2 practices at a time then expect a flip flop. This coaching staff is going to go witht he best PASS CATCHING TE in the group. Considering that Barnidge has outpracticed Davis to this point, is a better pass catcher with far fewer drops in his career, and signed a more long term deal, Davis' best shot is to make the team as TE #3 aka Sir Blocks Alot. If the Coaches deside to only go with 3 TE, Smelley might beat him out just for the fact that he also has better hands, has better blocking leverage, and is fare more versitile. Gronkowski is camp fodder as he normally is and always will be and Tannehill MAY surprise but I think he best bet for making the roster is on the practice squad as a late season call up.
Backup WR: You have essentially 3 starters: Little, Gordon, Bess. Who sticks to back them up: Travis Benjamin, David Nelson, Josh Cooper, Jordon Norwoood, Keenan Davis
Who winns?
Benjamin is the surprise so far of OTAs and Camp. His route running and hands have apparently been off the charts and I have yet to see anyone write anything other than praise about him. David Nelson, while only being signed to a 1 year deal, was signed to play. As long as he is healthy, which from what I have read he is actually cleared to practice as of today, he should not only get playing time but could also potentially push the current starters on the outside or at least give Bess some breaks without us seeing any drop off in production from the slot. Now we are down to Cooper, Norwood, and Davis. I think this offense functions more on taller/faster recievers. We already have 1 shifty slot WR, 1 burner shorty WR. We don't really need another short guy, so this is where Davis gets a boost even though he is an UDFA. I honestly think that the last spot will come down to Cooper and Davis. I think Norwood is done with the Browns. Norwood is constantly injured and he hasn't shown me anything in his 2 seasons here that Cooper didn't show me at the end of last season. Don't forget the new guy we signed from the Bills (other than Nelson). He actually has a bit of NFL production and might be used as insurance as the 5th WR on the roster while Gordon serves his 2 game suspension.
Any other spots you think is up for grabs? There may be some backup DL spots.
The only back up DL spot that I think is up for a fight is between Kitchen and new comer Jean Baptista. Kitchen obviously showed he could play some in a limited role last year, but Baptista has a working knowledge with Taylor, which could help him out.
-
I really think one of the most important position battles occurs at hot dog vendor. Honestly, Owen Marecic NEEDS to win that battle. Keeping Marecic off the field would be a huge win for the team. He has fought very hard for the position by accumulating 2012 stats like: 10 games, 0 rushing yards, 0 receiving yards with a dropped pass on EACH attempt.
-
To Harry Buffalo: FYI, it is my understanding that Keenan Davis is already waived, and now we have the Rough Rider, Naaman Roosevelt in the mix.
(I just made that name up for him...hopefully it has nothing to do with his sexual demeanor....or, maybe some women hope it does, whatever)
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login