Training Camp Notes, Edition #1
-
I don't remember him getting any playing time last year, hopefully he's ok though. Sucks when anyone gets hurt in camp
-
Dennis Pitta is out for the year as per Schefter.
Suddenly, I'm not so upset about Gordon not being available that game.
-
I'm telling you it's our year.
Pitta out, nice!
Remember when we signed LeCharles Bentley. Biggest free agent on the market, and then he ruined his career on the first snap of his first Browns training camp?
Now it's Ryan Miller with a concussion and Gordon stepping aside for two games so Benjamin can become a star ... We got this.
Z
-
I'm not a concussion expert, but to get this injury in practice is very strange,
-
I was listening to the radio when this happened and it didn't sound good at all.
They reported that the Browns requested all cameras off and to not release the player name which is pretty odd because naturally that makes you think someone has died.
They also said the all the Browns starters were accounted for and I was hoping it was not some tragedy involving Pinkston & his blood clot problems.
Indeed pretty strange to hear of something like this in a 1 on 1 drill hope Miller gets well soon.
-
They are dropping like fly's...................... Could Ben be next?????????????? Or even Flacco?????????????????
-
Calm down with the fucking question marks.
-
I'm telling you it's our year.
Pitta out, nice!
Remember when we signed LeCharles Bentley. Biggest free agent on the market, and then he ruined his career on the first snap of his first Browns training camp?
Now it's Ryan Miller with a concussion and Gordon stepping aside for two games so Benjamin can become a star ... We got this.
Z
Zombo said:
I'm telling you it's our year.
Pitta out, nice!
Remember when we signed LeCharles Bentley. Biggest free agent on the market, and then he ruined his career on the first snap of his first Browns training camp?
Now it's Ryan Miller with a concussion and Gordon stepping aside for two games so Benjamin can become a star ... We got this.
Z
Could be.
My thinking is Gordons absence will propel Jordon Cameron to an elite level.
Heck, lets just say it propels them both!
-
The Browns did some extensive work on screen passes, a staple of Chudzinski's offense.********************************Cool - I don't have to start a thread about this. The statement above isexciting stuff.How many folks have wondered where the hell the screen pass has been with the Browns? Other teamshave used it a ton, and the Browns kept acting like they knew they couldn't try one.That's one of the best reasons, imho, to have dumped Shrimplur. What, Shurmur decided that he didn'thave a strong RT, that defenses would know that he could only run a screen to the left, so he "fooled em" bynot running one at all?This offense is going to be exciting stuff. With the line intact, the aggressive systems in place, a SMART, legit coachingstaff, put it all together, and the Browns will shock the AFCN, as well as the rest of the teams they place.I wonder who Miller conked helmets with ? When a big guy like him gets a concussion, that's scary.Great that he's okay.
-
First, I like the weekly idea, whoever suggested it. Maybe start one every Monday?
Also, Miller's already out of the hospital and doing well. Scary concussion. He'll be good to go in a couple weeks, but I'd be worried if I were him. I always told my son he could hurt anything but his head. Once that shit starts, it's like pneumonia. You keep getting it, then you're 90 when you're 50.
-
I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.
I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.
Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.
Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.
Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.
I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).
Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.
It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.
I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.
-
Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...
On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.
On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.
On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie
-
Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...
On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.
On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.
On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie
Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...
On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.
On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.
On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie
From the notes on Camp I've seen so far, it sounds like Bess is catching everything that comes near him.
One note says that so far it's been the "Bess and Little" show so far.
Good to hear Little is stepping it up.
-
The Browns did some extensive work on screen passes, a staple of Chudzinski's offense.********************************Cool - I don't have to start a thread about this. The statement above isexciting stuff.How many folks have wondered where the hell the screen pass has been with the Browns? Other teamshave used it a ton, and the Browns kept acting like they knew they couldn't try one.That's one of the best reasons, imho, to have dumped Shrimplur. What, Shurmur decided that he didn'thave a strong RT, that defenses would know that he could only run a screen to the left, so he "fooled em" bynot running one at all?This offense is going to be exciting stuff. With the line intact, the aggressive systems in place, a SMART, legit coachingstaff, put it all together, and the Browns will shock the AFCN, as well as the rest of the teams they place.I wonder who Miller conked helmets with ? When a big guy like him gets a concussion, that's scary.Great that he's okay.The Browns did some extensive work on screen passes, a staple of Chudzinski's offense.********************************Cool - I don't have to start a thread about this. The statement above isexciting stuff.How many folks have wondered where the hell the screen pass has been with the Browns? Other teamshave used it a ton, and the Browns kept acting like they knew they couldn't try one.
well the only screen passes we have thrown in the past 2 seasons went for pick sixes so i can see why the coaches didn't call them too often.
-
I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.
I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.
Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.
Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.
Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.
I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).
Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.
It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.
I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.
Everybody's linebackers are getting smaller and faster because it's a passing league.
And more and more GMs and DCs are figuring out that if your name isn't Revis, you're about as good as your pass rush.
Freaking Dimitri Patterson is getting HUGE love in Miami right now. He's starting as of today. What the hell was THAT about? He had like 13 PDs in part-time play, then we cut him in season? Last administration was just so bad.
I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.
I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.
Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.
Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.
Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.
I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).
Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.
It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.
I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.
-
Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...
On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.
On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.
On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie
Well then thank you!!
Biggest screen pass problem was immobile guards who couldn't get out there in time. My guess anyway.
Me on the weekly thread... and you're welcome...
On screen Passes: We've tried them the past two years, but simply could not execute them. Why? Multiple reasons, but starts with a QB that can sell the play. Wheezy's play fake skills have been nearly non-existant to date.
On Phil Taylor: Injury prone? The guy tore a pec bench pressing a Volvo. Aside from that he's been pretty dependable.
On Travis Benjamin: Agree that he will only improve with playing time. Once Patsy decided that he could be more than just a runner of go routes, he really came on last year. I think Bess vs. Benjie for the #3 WR is one of the best competitions going... and my $$$ is on Benjie
-
Read a tweet that Greg Little (with photo, think Grossi) was last out of practice three straight days, working the jugs, working on everything. Guy is NOT assuming that he's "the other receiver." He went to Oklahoma for three days, in the summer (which is like going to a less hellish place for several years) to work out with Weeden and Cooper.
Again... he's Anquan Boldin if Boldin could do a 41" vert, 27 reps, and run a 4.5-ish. None of which he can. If Little has cleaned up the drops (which he did in the last 8 games last year), what's to stop him from being a superstar?
-
Everybody's linebackers are getting smaller and faster because it's a passing league.
And more and more GMs and DCs are figuring out that if your name isn't Revis, you're about as good as your pass rush.
Freaking Dimitri Patterson is getting HUGE love in Miami right now. He's starting as of today. What the hell was THAT about? He had like 13 PDs in part-time play, then we cut him in season? Last administration was just so bad.
I think our Offense will be much more interesting this year.
I see Chud/Norv adapting to our player's skills versus Shurmur forcing them into his scheme.
Should see a fair amount of improvement in this area overall, though I'm not sure we have the OL (agility) personel for effective Screens.
Now the Defense, that has me a bit concerned.
Our ILB's may have speed and skill but seem to be a bit on the smaller size.
I'm thinking our run D is going to be a wash (comparable to last year).
Pass D, it sounds like Haden has turned it up a notch, but the other CB I have no idea about - it's definitely going to be a weak spot.
It's possible whoever nails the other S position will be a step up, and our Pass Rush should be better . . . I just keep having flashbacks of Skrine at CB in that game he pulled penalty after penalty.
I like Horton, but the fact that his D gave up a 58-0 game against Seattle is something to think about.
Everybody's linebackers are getting smaller and faster because it's a passing league.
And more and more GMs and DCs are figuring out that if your name isn't Revis, you're about as good as your pass rush.
Freaking Dimitri Patterson is getting HUGE love in Miami right now. He's starting as of today. What the hell was THAT about? He had like 13 PDs in part-time play, then we cut him in season? Last administration was just so bad.
Last years breakdown comes out to 44% Run vs 56% Pass, so yes, you're correct about it being a more Pass oriented League, but 44% Rushing is still a pretty huge chunk.
Couple years back we couldn't stop the run for squat, did a little better last year.
With the 3-4 switch and all, it's just a concern with our LB size that we may regress a little here.
We made a few FA moves that may alleviate this somewhat, I hope so, but right now it's a concern for me.
Patterson, if I recall correctly, was starting to behave a bit like Hillis his last year here, I believe that's why he got cut.
Different Staff then of course too, so what can you say.
Unfortunately, it's starting to sound like Gordon is just going through the motions right now.
It's starting to sound like his Team mates are getting a bit fed up with him.
That's a shame, kid's got enormous potential, sounds like he's throwing it all away.
Wouldn't be the first player we've seen that happen too, still sad to see.
-
Read a tweet that Greg Little (with photo, think Grossi) was last out of practice three straight days, working the jugs, working on everything. Guy is NOT assuming that he's "the other receiver." He went to Oklahoma for three days, in the summer (which is like going to a less hellish place for several years) to work out with Weeden and Cooper.
Again... he's Anquan Boldin if Boldin could do a 41" vert, 27 reps, and run a 4.5-ish. None of which he can. If Little has cleaned up the drops (which he did in the last 8 games last year), what's to stop him from being a superstar?
Read a tweet that Greg Little (with photo, think Grossi) was last out of practice three straight days, working the jugs, working on everything. Guy is NOT assuming that he's "the other receiver." He went to Oklahoma for three days, in the summer (which is like going to a less hellish place for several years) to work out with Weeden and Cooper.
Again... he's Anquan Boldin if Boldin could do a 41" vert, 27 reps, and run a 4.5-ish. None of which he can. If Little has cleaned up the drops (which he did in the last 8 games last year), what's to stop him from being a superstar?
I just told Cal the other day that Little COULD be a "Boldin clone". He certainly has all the tools & he is determined to improve. That attitude seems to be huge in camp this year. So far, I haven't seen that fire in Gordon yet, but we'll see.
Mike
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login
