Skip to content

preseason game 1

The Browns Board
67 32 3.7k
  • Nah I love Bernie, really I do, I just wish he'd shut the f up about how great Bradford is. The browns are also fielding a quarterback who made some pretty nice throws out there.

    Dammit, Bradford's long ball WAS pretty though.

  • Nah I love Bernie, really I do, I just wish he'd shut the f up about how great Bradford is. The browns are also fielding a quarterback who made some pretty nice throws out there.

    Dammit, Bradford's long ball WAS pretty though.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Nah I love Bernie, really I do, I just wish he'd shut the f up about how great Bradford is. The browns are also fielding a quarterback who made some pretty nice throws out there.

    Dammit, Bradford's long ball WAS pretty though.

    yeah I love Bernie. I love how he's bashing the Rams wr's cause they deserve it. 1st teamers were playing well but bradford threw two perfect, almost indefensible passes that were dropped.

  • Pros:

    Weeden looked poised and made great decisions

    Oline provided good protection

    Receivers looked good

    Lewis can run and catch.

    Offensive play calling

    Benjamin > Cribbs

    Cons:

    Saw a batted Weeden pass

    Defense wasn't as good as expected, I was expecting a little more QB pressure

    overall I liked what I saw from 1st stringers. Hopefully the positive up swing continues.

  • He was making great throws. So why not give credit?

  • I'm really, I mean really, liking Norv Turner's play calling after two years of the disaster that was Pat Shurmur

  • Jim Donovan said to Bernie, "what if the wr's parents were watching?" Bernie said, "They should be embarrassed"

    PRICELESS!!!!!!!

  • I'm really, I mean really, liking Norv Turner's play calling after two years of the disaster that was Pat Shurmur

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm really, I mean really, liking Norv Turner's play calling after two years of the disaster that was Pat Shurmur

    Like watching a totally different game

  • That kick by legatron (rams kicker) would have EASILY been good from 70. Holy crap that dude has a leg.

  • That kick by legatron (rams kicker) would have EASILY been good from 70. Holy crap that dude has a leg.

    @jrb12711 said:

    That kick by legatron (rams kicker) would have EASILY been good from 70. Holy crap that dude has a leg.

    and he kicks indoors.

    Did I just make a fantasy football statement?

  • I don't think I can remember a first preseason game where you watch and there isnt one moment of "Wow this team will be the bad news Browns forever" usually by a fumble, interception or injury. This may be the first one. It was a turnover free, near penalty free, special teams explosive first quarter for our starters. With the changes even National media seem to notice between our coaching, players and facilities, it feels good we didn't relapse a losing attitude with a fumble or arrant interception.

    Im not screaming super bowl or anything but to see a team who looks dangerous is awesome.

  • One quarter into a preseason game and I'm stoked for our Browns.

    Offense looks great (compared to last year). I'm definitely looking forward to the T-Rich and Lewis combo at RB. Jackson will be a nice 3rd option.

    I might be mistaken but I never saw Mingo in with the starters, I would have liked to see the coaches integrate him in with the starters since he will be doing that often.

    Overall, this is the happiest that I have been in 2 years.

    On a sidenote, the uniforms look a lot better with the "AL" gone off of the sleeve.

  • One quarter into a preseason game and I'm stoked for our Browns.

    Offense looks great (compared to last year). I'm definitely looking forward to the T-Rich and Lewis combo at RB. Jackson will be a nice 3rd option.

    I might be mistaken but I never saw Mingo in with the starters, I would have liked to see the coaches integrate him in with the starters since he will be doing that often.

    Overall, this is the happiest that I have been in 2 years.

    On a sidenote, the uniforms look a lot better with the "AL" gone off of the sleeve.

    @sheepdog said:

    One quarter into a preseason game and I'm stoked for our Browns.

    Offense looks great (compared to last year). I'm definitely looking forward to the T-Rich and Lewis combo at RB. Jackson will be a nice 3rd option.

    I might be mistaken but I never saw Mingo in with the starters, I would have liked to see the coaches integrate him in with the starters since he will be doing that often.

    Overall, this is the happiest that I have been in 2 years.

    On a sidenote, the uniforms look a lot better with the "AL" gone off of the sleeve.

    A subtle thing but I agree. Whose awful design that was I do not know but I'm glad it, and Randy, are gone. I don't care if truck stop Jimmy is a crook. He likes football and its been a minute since the browns' owner gave a shit.

  • Im excited to see what this offense can do in 4 quarters. T benj and wow efficient movement down the field!!!!

    Im pumped for Cameron and Little also, should be at least a competitive team this year with a decent aggressive defense that can cause turnovers

  • "Terrible play by our safties"

    I love bernie

    But yeah 3rd team defense is definitely looking rough. Young guys for sure

  • Defense is still a big ? to me, didn't seem we could slow the run down all - 1st, 2nd, or 3rd String.

    Coaching seemed competent.

    First Pre-Season game, let's see how next week progresses.

  • First team O looked great, said to myself on that first 3rd down on the first drive if they convert they're legit.

    Then the second 3rd down conversion they pulled off the delay which was pretty nice.

    Agree it's nice to see a real NFL offense, but let's not go overboard I remember them looking pretty good against Green Bay last pre season. Defense seems to be ready to hit got to like that.

  • Not much to complain about on offense, much better then expected.

    The Defense however had some concerns. I thought the DB's looked lost and played chase a bit to much. I didn't like how the Rams seemed to gain 6+ yards up the middle on us and the pass rush was so-so.

    Not bad ... but preseason (yawn).

  • Browns preseason debut is a hit, beat Rams, 27-19

    Aug 08, 2013 -- 11:05pm

    By Tony Grossi | ESPNCleveland.com

    Weeden.jpg

    Photo/Cleveland Plain Dealer

    If they could bottle their preseason opener and pour it out on Sept. 8 against the Miami Dolphins, the Browns would jumpstart their latest new era unlike any season since their rebirth in 1999.

    The first-team offense was inexplicably crisp and efficient. Quarterback Brandon Weeden looked satisfactorily deprogrammed of the confines of the West Coast and liberated by the new vertical, shotgun passing game.

    The No. 1 defense was aggressive, as advertised, though nothing exotic was displayed. It forced a turnover and a punt in two series against former Pat Shurmur pupil Sam Bradford now coached by Brian Schottenheimer, Marty’s son.

    Alas, it was only a practice game, where good impressions often are distorted.

    But the Browns’ 27-19 win over the NFC West-tested St. Louis Rams was an impressive beginning for coach Rob Chudzinski and coordinators Norv Turner and Ray Horton.

    "I was pleased with the first game. It’s good to win," Chudzinski said. "All our guys responded early in the game, able to make plays. It was a combination of all phases doing it. We didn’t have any turnovers."

    For Weeden, it was a good outing absolutely necessary to lift the rampant skepticism about him – inside the building and out.

    In two series, Weeden orchestrated scoring drives of 67 yards in 15 plays and 74 in nine with accuracy and aplomb. Overall, Weeden was 10 of 13 for 112 yards and a touchdown of two yards to Trent Richardson fill-in Dion Lewis.

    “I thought we looked pretty good,” Weeden said in quotes distributed in the press box. “We maneuvered well. We didn’t have any penalties. We didn’t do anything to move backwards. We got some first downs and put together a nice scoring drive.”

    Lewis did an impersonation of Darren Sproles, Turner’s electrifying water bug in his San Diego Chargers days. Though Lewis had only 12 yards on five rushes and 22 on three catches, he introduced himself as a potential asset.

    Jordan Cameron had a Weeden bullet glance off his hands on his first attempt, an error that resulted in Greg Little leaping high for the deflection and 14-yard gain. But Cameron redeemed himself on his second attempt. He took a short Weeden pass on a crossing route, turned it up the left sideline and accelerated for a 30-yard gain to the Rams’ 4.

    On defense, Horton kept his exotic blitzes under wraps for the real games. But the aggressiveness was evident. The defense forced two turnovers and linebacker Quentin Groves had a sack.

    Bradford felt pressure from right end Desmond Bryant on the second play. On the other side of the Rams’ line, right tackle and Cleveland native Roger Saffold suffered a shoulder injury and left the game. Four plays later, Phil Taylor forced a fumble of back Isaiah Pead and Buster Skrine recovered.

    Skrine also forced a Bradford incompletion with tight coverage of receiver Austin Pettis on second down on the next series. On third down, Rams rookie speedster Tavon Austin mishandled a Bradford on-target pass 20 yards downfield. The interesting thing was Browns linebacker Craig Robertson was right there, running with the fastest player in the 2013 draft.

    Rookie linebacker Barkevious Mingo debuted in a first-team nickel package that included Paul Kruger and Jabaal Sheard. Later, playing with the second defense, Mingo had a sack taken away when the Browns accepted a Rams tripping penalty. Mingo had pressure on backup quarterback Austin Davis after a nice spin move, but Davis actually spun himself into the ground while escaping contact from Mingo.

    The special teams, large concerns throughout training camp, also had a grand debut.

    Travis Benjamin ran out of Josh Cribbs’ shadow on his first punt return. Benjamin accepted a St. Louis punt at the 9-yard line, broke to the right sideline off a block from Mingo, and then sped the rest of the way untouched for a 91-yard TD.

    On a calm summer night, both kickers, Brandon Bogotay and Shayne Graham, booted kickoffs out of the end zone. Each had a PAT and field goal, Bogotay from 25 yards and Graham from 41. Bogotay later missed wide left from 54 yards.

    And for posterity, Mingo’s first play was a tackle of Pead on the first Browns kickoff.

    Weeden’s backups lapsed into dink-and-dunk mode. Jason Campbell came in first and put up three points in two series. He was 6 of 7 for 37 yards with a sack and a run of 12 yards. Brian Hoyer played the entire second half and was 10 of 14 for 100 yards and a touchdown. He beat a St. Louis blitz and hit ridiculously open receiver Cordell Roberson for a 26-yard TD. That possession was set up on an interception by rookie linebacker hopeful Justin Staples.

    As for negative plays, there were a few. Backup cornerback Trevin Wade allowed Chris Givens to get behind him for a 59-yard reception. Bradford’s ball hung or else it would have been an 80-yard score. That led to the Rams’ only touchdown, a 3-yard pass to Givens when Bradford had time to count the house, which was fairly empty. Later, journeyman QB Kellen Clemens flipped a short pass to receiver Raymond Radway, who was uncovered and raced home for a 53-yard TD.

    The announced ticket sale was 56,943. There may have been half as many bodies actually in attendance. But that will change. Word of mouth travels fast.

  • Quarterback Brandon Weeden looked satisfactorily deprogrammed of the confines of the West Coast and liberated by the new vertical, shotgun passing game.

    Didn't watch the game ... but that's what i wanted to hear. Will sleep well tonight.

    Zombo

    --Baby steps.

  • love the optimism and glad the positives outweighed the negatives

    BUT

    it is a preseason game. as a matter of fact the first vs. a team rated just 1 or 2 spots higher or lower as us. so let's not go predicting a super bowl win right now.

    many a team have looked great in preseason and sucked ass in regular season and vice versa.

    let's wait until we see the main event: opening day.