The Greatest Team, Another view
-
Here in order are the "Strongest" to "weakest" Super Bowl Champions (since 1966) in terms of point differentials:
1. 1999 Rams 17.8
2. 1991 Redskins 16.3
3. 1985 Bears 16.1
4. 1984 49ers 15.5
5. 1996 Packers 15.4
6. 1972 Dolphins 15.3
7. 1975 Steelers 15.1
8. 1973 Dolphins 13.8
9. 1994 49ers 13.1
--- 1971 Cowboys 13.1
11. 1969 Chiefs 13.0
12. 1966 Packers 12.3
13. 1998 Broncos 12.0
14. 1989 49ers 11.8
15. 1997 Broncos 11.6
16. 2004 Patriots 11.1
17. 2009 Saints 10.6
18. 2000 Ravens 10.5
19. 1992 Cowboys 10.4
20. 1978 Steelers 10.1
21. 1968 Jets 9.9
22. 1975 Steelers 9.6
23. 1977 Cowboys 9.5
24. 2002 Buccaneers 9.4
25. 2010 Packers 9.2
--- 1993 Cowboys 9.2
27. 1995 Cowboys 9.0
28. 1967 Packers 8.8
29. 1986 Giants 8.4
30. 1974 Steelers 8.3
31. 2005 Steelers 8.2
32. 1976 Raiders 8.1
33. 1990 Giants 7.8
--- 2008 Steelers 7.8
35. 1982 Redskins 6.9
--- 2003 Pats 6.9
37. 1981 49ers 6.7
38. 1983 Raiders 6.5
39. 1987 Redskins 6.3
40. 1970 Colts 6.3
41. 1988 49ers 4.7
42. 2006 Colts 4.2
43. 1980 Raiders 3.6
44. 2012 Ravens 3.4
45. 2007 Giants 1.4
46. 2011 Giants -0.4
Note here at the bottom: 4 of the 5 "worst" SB Champs have been within the last 7 years. That sounds like a trend to me. What could be causing that trend? Teams that really aren't all that dominant "get hot" during the playoffs and take the whole thing. I think that is certainly true with the 2 Giants teams and the Ravens last year. No one would have made those teams odds on favorites to win the SB in those years. Maybe not so much with the 2006 Colts.
Nevertheless, perhaps history should take another look at those 1999 Rams. We know they were an offensive juggernaut. Perhaps we should actually think beyond that and say that they were one of the most dominant teams in NFL history. You don't score 17.8 pts a game more than your opponents without having your defense have some say in that total.
-
-
I dunno, maybe the 99 Rams woulda taken them. The Rams scored 32.9 points per game vs. giving up 15.1
The 1985 Bears scored 28.5 ppg vs. allowing 12.4.
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
-
I dunno, maybe the 99 Rams woulda taken them. The Rams scored 32.9 points per game vs. giving up 15.1
The 1985 Bears scored 28.5 ppg vs. allowing 12.4.
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
I was going to say ... I like the Bears in that contest because the 46 defense would slow the Rams down enough IMO that the Bears could outscore them.
I think the Bears might stop the 72 Dolphins as well, because they could contain that dolphins run game. (Although, I will vote for the 72 Dolphins to the end, because no one has proven they can be beaten).
I think the 84 Niners would have a shot at beating the 85 Bears though. That quick-hitting passing game might be able to move the ball on them and the defense may cause major headaches for McMahon et al.
Zombo
-
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
I was going to say ... I like the Bears in that contest because the 46 defense would slow the Rams down enough IMO that the Bears could outscore them.
I think the Bears might stop the 72 Dolphins as well, because they could contain that dolphins run game. (Although, I will vote for the 72 Dolphins to the end, because no one has proven they can be beaten).
I think the 84 Niners would have a shot at beating the 85 Bears though. That quick-hitting passing game might be able to move the ball on them and the defense may cause major headaches for McMahon et al.
Zombo
Zombo said:
I was going to say ... I like the Bears in that contest because the 46 defense would slow the Rams down enough IMO that the Bears could outscore them.
I think the Bears might stop the 72 Dolphins as well, because they could contain that dolphins run game. (Although, I will vote for the 72 Dolphins to the end, because no one has proven they can be beaten).
I think the 84 Niners would have a shot at beating the 85 Bears though. That quick-hitting passing game might be able to move the ball on them and the defense may cause major headaches for McMahon et al.
Zombo
Same result, Bears win 4 out of 5 but at least one of the wins is a close one.
23-3 Bears
20-7 Bears
41-9 Bears
19-13 Niners
24-23 Bears TD on the last play of the game to win.
-
Zombo said:
I was going to say ... I like the Bears in that contest because the 46 defense would slow the Rams down enough IMO that the Bears could outscore them.
I think the Bears might stop the 72 Dolphins as well, because they could contain that dolphins run game. (Although, I will vote for the 72 Dolphins to the end, because no one has proven they can be beaten).
I think the 84 Niners would have a shot at beating the 85 Bears though. That quick-hitting passing game might be able to move the ball on them and the defense may cause major headaches for McMahon et al.
Zombo
Same result, Bears win 4 out of 5 but at least one of the wins is a close one.
23-3 Bears
20-7 Bears
41-9 Bears
19-13 Niners
24-23 Bears TD on the last play of the game to win.
Same result, Bears win 4 out of 5 but at least one of the wins is a close one.
23-3 Bears
20-7 Bears
41-9 Bears
19-13 Niners
24-23 Bears TD on the last play of the game to win.
Wow, I can't see the 84 Niners getting dominated like that by anyone.
Their only loss was to the Steelers in a flukey game 20-17.
They outscored their playoff opponents 82-26.
It's all fun to speculate though.
Zombo
-
I dunno, maybe the 99 Rams woulda taken them. The Rams scored 32.9 points per game vs. giving up 15.1
The 1985 Bears scored 28.5 ppg vs. allowing 12.4.
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
I just simulated that game 5 times on the whatifsports.com website. Played them all indoors on a neutral field. Bears won 4 and the Rams won 1. The Rams won a 13-12 turnover fest. The Bears won 3 in dominating fashion and then one by 7.
For what that's worth.
Interesting that you can do that. Can you do that with some of the matchups in our "Greatest Team" Bracket?
-
Zombo said:
I was going to say ... I like the Bears in that contest because the 46 defense would slow the Rams down enough IMO that the Bears could outscore them.
I think the Bears might stop the 72 Dolphins as well, because they could contain that dolphins run game. (Although, I will vote for the 72 Dolphins to the end, because no one has proven they can be beaten).
I think the 84 Niners would have a shot at beating the 85 Bears though. That quick-hitting passing game might be able to move the ball on them and the defense may cause major headaches for McMahon et al.
Zombo
Same result, Bears win 4 out of 5 but at least one of the wins is a close one.
23-3 Bears
20-7 Bears
41-9 Bears
19-13 Niners
24-23 Bears TD on the last play of the game to win.
-
No idea what the computer knows....but anyone can do it. www.whatifsports.com is the website and it's free to simulate any game between any two teams in history as many times as you like.
-
No idea what the computer knows....but anyone can do it. www.whatifsports.com is the website and it's free to simulate any game between any two teams in history as many times as you like.
No idea what the computer knows....but anyone can do it. www.whatifsports.com is the website and it's free to simulate any game between any two teams in history as many times as you like.
I did the 1948 Browns vs. the 1950 Browns 5 times. Needless to say, all games were close: Scores:
A. 1950 24 1948 17
B. 1948 21 1950 16
C. 1950 13 1948 10
D. 1948 14 1950 10
E. 1950 19 1948 14
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
