Skip to content

Cuts etc.

The Browns Board
18 8 837
  • They need to allow more players to make the team... with today's injuries and the specializations of some of these players now days, there should be like 60-70 players per team, if the NFL ever wants to move to an 18-20 game season they will have to expand rosters. This should open up more opportunities for smaller name guys with talent and keeping the talent around that you've developed.

  • I hope they keep Cooper...He reminds Me an aweful lot like Brian Brennan.

  • Who is going to replace Phil the Foot????????????

  • Who is going to replace Phil the Foot????????????

    @browns149 said:

    Who is going to replace Phil the Foot????????????

    I don't know if you can ever truly replace Phil Dawson, you just try to lessen the impact of losing a guy of his caliber. I'd imagine the vet would get the nod and bogotay goes to the practice squad and hope somewhere down the road a young Phil Dawson crosses paths with us again.

  • I'd almost put David Nelson on the bubble, he's been injured so much that he hasn't really been able to show his talent. I think he's only on a one year contract, right? Presumably that was just tto get him in, see if he can perform and sign him to a longer one if he does. He hasn't, yet.

  • Right now IMHO:

    Shaw won't make the team now that they picked up Moffitt, they can't keep 11 o-linemen.

    Hardesty will make the roster and will be inactive the first 1-3 weeks, and I also think Norwood makes the final 53; however they are both bubble guys. Other bubble guys are Nelson, Cousins, Kitchen, JMJ, Wade. I think they all make the roster but could be replaced by the PS guys.

    PS guys look like A.Bryant, Miller, Smelley, Aubrey, Roberson, and/or Cooper

    IR for Faulk and Lewis

    It's still hard to say b/c so much changes after waivers, especially practice squad guys, and typically at least one new player gets put on the 53-man roster. We'll see...

    @thenew23 said:

    Right now IMHO:

    Shaw won't make the team now that they picked up Moffitt, they can't keep 11 o-linemen.

    Hardesty will make the roster and will be inactive the first 1-3 weeks, and I also think Norwood makes the final 53; however they are both bubble guys. Other bubble guys are Nelson, Cousins, Kitchen, JMJ, Wade. I think they all make the roster but could be replaced by the PS guys.

    PS guys look like A.Bryant, Miller, Smelley, Aubrey, Roberson, and/or Cooper

    IR for Faulk and Lewis

    It's still hard to say b/c so much changes after waivers, especially practice squad guys, and typically at least one new player gets put on the 53-man roster. We'll see...

    I don't think Miller (I assume you meant Ryan Miller) is eligible to be put on the PS. Note the rules above, no one that has played more than 8 games in a season can go there....and I think Miller was on the active roster all last year. The same for Cooper. Not sure about Smelley.

    No?

  • They need to allow more players to make the team... with today's injuries and the specializations of some of these players now days, there should be like 60-70 players per team, if the NFL ever wants to move to an 18-20 game season they will have to expand rosters. This should open up more opportunities for smaller name guys with talent and keeping the talent around that you've developed.

    @poeticg said:

    They need to allow more players to make the team... with today's injuries and the specializations of some of these players now days, there should be like 60-70 players per team, if the NFL ever wants to move to an 18-20 game season they will have to expand rosters. This should open up more opportunities for smaller name guys with talent and keeping the talent around that you've developed.

    Well, that is the point of having a 53 man roster, plus the 8 PS players...that is 61...plus the various injury lists. The Browns could easily keep up to 65 or more of the guys they got stashed somewhere.

  • I'd almost put David Nelson on the bubble, he's been injured so much that he hasn't really been able to show his talent. I think he's only on a one year contract, right? Presumably that was just tto get him in, see if he can perform and sign him to a longer one if he does. He hasn't, yet.

    @gftchris said:

    I'd almost put David Nelson on the bubble, he's been injured so much that he hasn't really been able to show his talent. I think he's only on a one year contract, right? Presumably that was just tto get him in, see if he can perform and sign him to a longer one if he does. He hasn't, yet.

    Again, may be slated for one of the injury lists.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Right now IMHO:

    Shaw won't make the team now that they picked up Moffitt, they can't keep 11 o-linemen.

    Hardesty will make the roster and will be inactive the first 1-3 weeks, and I also think Norwood makes the final 53; however they are both bubble guys. Other bubble guys are Nelson, Cousins, Kitchen, JMJ, Wade. I think they all make the roster but could be replaced by the PS guys.

    PS guys look like A.Bryant, Miller, Smelley, Aubrey, Roberson, and/or Cooper

    IR for Faulk and Lewis

    It's still hard to say b/c so much changes after waivers, especially practice squad guys, and typically at least one new player gets put on the 53-man roster. We'll see...

    I don't think Miller (I assume you meant Ryan Miller) is eligible to be put on the PS. Note the rules above, no one that has played more than 8 games in a season can go there....and I think Miller was on the active roster all last year. The same for Cooper. Not sure about Smelley.

    No?

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't think Miller (I assume you meant Ryan Miller) is eligible to be put on the PS. Note the rules above, no one that has played more than 8 games in a season can go there....and I think Miller was on the active roster all last year. The same for Cooper. Not sure about Smelley.

    No?

    My mistake. You're right about Miller not being eligible. Cooper and Smelley are eligible for PS this year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I don't think Miller (I assume you meant Ryan Miller) is eligible to be put on the PS. Note the rules above, no one that has played more than 8 games in a season can go there....and I think Miller was on the active roster all last year. The same for Cooper. Not sure about Smelley.

    No?

    My mistake. You're right about Miller not being eligible. Cooper and Smelley are eligible for PS this year.

    @thenew23 said:

    My mistake. You're right about Miller not being eligible. Cooper and Smelley are eligible for PS this year.

    Actually, I may not be. PFR says that Miller played in only 6 games last year.

    Josh Cooper also only played in 6

    Smelley played in only 2.

    So they may all be PS eligible.

  • I can see Aubrey making team outright