Skip to content

Browns of the 50's

The Browns Board
29 8 914
  • Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

  • I go back to the early 70's following the browns...but boy My old man sure taught Me the history...I miss those days...

  • Welcome Larry, it is great to hear from the fans that go back to the glory days.

    I was born in our last championship year of 1964, just in time to get my heart ripped out repeatedly in the 70's and 80's.

    But I'll take that over those born circa 1984 and later and who have never experienced a true winning team.

    Let's hope we all celebrate the Big One soon.

    Zombo

  • Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

    @larry0791 said:

    Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

    I do not personally remember the 50s teams, My first memory, though very vague was when I was hearing some hullaballoo about a coach getting fired. (PB). The first season I remember was 1963, and I fully remember the 1964 title season.

    But, of course, we had to listen to that game vs. the Colts on radio. We had to wait until the next Monday Night to see it on TV.

    I believe that it got such a great viewership that that game may have been the genesis for "Monday Night Football".

  • Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

    @larry0791 said:

    Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

    My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

  • @larry0791 said:

    Would like to know how many "old" folks out there like me who go back to the glory days of Grahan, Groza and the group that made us fans feel like they were family. I'm 67 and can, believe it or not, remember the 1950 season. My father played HS football with Bill Lund, one of the original Browns in 1946 and mom was close with Dante Lavellis sister. So, all I heard about (and loved) as a kid was the Browns. We didn't have a pot in those days but Sunday was reserved for the old Philco radio and the Browns.....anyone else out there?

    My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

    OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    My earliest memory was listening to the Browns/Colts NFL championship game on the radio while my dad was drinking long neck Strohs in his wife beater.

    OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

    @nickers said:

    OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

    Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

  • @nickers said:

    OMG...not to get off topic but man do I miss Stroh's beer..it was real beer. It wasnt like the instant /formaldahyde crap they sell now..Me and My old man used to drink it all the time..it was real fire brewed beer...and if you drank it...your ass paid for it the next morning..LOL

    Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

    @the-gipper said:

    Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

    Thats your opinion...it sure as hell beats piss water like bud light and coors light...wich tastes absolutely awful.

  • Strohs was a tasty beer. Just ask Alex.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Stroh's was piss. Or the next best thing.

    Thats your opinion...it sure as hell beats piss water like bud light and coors light...wich tastes absolutely awful.

    @nickers said:

    Thats your opinion...it sure as hell beats piss water like bud light and coors light...wich tastes absolutely awful.

    Bud is piss, as is Bud Light, and Coors lite....and Stroh's.

    Now, Black Label....that was better.

  • @nickers said:

    Thats your opinion...it sure as hell beats piss water like bud light and coors light...wich tastes absolutely awful.

    Bud is piss, as is Bud Light, and Coors lite....and Stroh's.

    Now, Black Label....that was better.

    @the-gipper said:

    Bud is piss, as is Bud Light, and Coors lite....and Stroh's.

    Now, Black Label....that was better.

    Black Label was so-so...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Bud is piss, as is Bud Light, and Coors lite....and Stroh's.

    Now, Black Label....that was better.

    Black Label was so-so...

    @nickers said:

    Black Label was so-so...

    I am sure it was. Every American national brand beer really was/is.

  • @nickers said:

    Black Label was so-so...

    I am sure it was. Every American national brand beer really was/is.

    @the-gipper said:

    I am sure it was. Every American national brand beer really was/is.

    Im more of a Canadian beer drinker these days I.E. LaBatts and Molson Canadian...American beer sucks.

  • So sad that a 57yr. old Pittsburgh fan in his lifetime has experienced 12 championships Pittsburgh pro sports teams brought to their city, while a 57yr. old Cleveland fan has witnessed 0 ..unless at the age of 8 he remembers 1964.

    A 57yr. old not knowing what it feels like to experience a championship, wow.

    Cleveland has to be the worst 3 sport city in the U.S.

  • So sad that a 57yr. old Pittsburgh fan in his lifetime has experienced 12 championships Pittsburgh pro sports teams brought to their city, while a 57yr. old Cleveland fan has witnessed 0 ..unless at the age of 8 he remembers 1964.

    A 57yr. old not knowing what it feels like to experience a championship, wow.

    Cleveland has to be the worst 3 sport city in the U.S.

    @stewy said:

    So sad that a 57yr. old Pittsburgh fan in his lifetime has experienced 12 championships Pittsburgh pro sports teams brought to their city, while a 57yr. old Cleveland fan has witnessed 0 ..unless at the age of 8 he remembers 1964.

    A 57yr. old not knowing what it feels like to experience a championship, wow.

    Cleveland has to be the worst 3 sport city in the U.S.

    Yes. You are a lucky dumbass. That is all there is to it.

    And actually, that probably makes us one of the 3 BEST sports cities.....in terms of the dedication of the fans. A city with -0- titles is every bit as avid...or more so than a city with 12.

    Plus we certainly do not have the FRAKs that you have.

    Also, I was 12 and do remember 1964.

    (I assume you included the Pipers ABA title?)

  • I remember my first season. The browns picked a stud running back with the 3rd overall pick, and then took a huge gamble on a 28-year old minor-league pitcher turned QB.

  • I do remember the 64 championship game, but did not really pay much attention to it. My parents, and a few friends got together to listen to it. 66 was the 1st year I really got into the Browns.

    For the 2nd topic, I remember most of my friends fathers drank Strohs, but after I tasted it as a kid, I never tried it again. Sam Adams Lager is my beverage of choice.

  • Oh yeah, I'm British, so to me pretty much any American beer is pisswater 😁

  • Oh yeah, I'm British, so to me pretty much any American beer is pisswater 😁

    @gftchris said:

    Oh yeah, I'm British, so to me pretty much any American beer is pisswater 😁

    OK, but, I don't know of any British beers that anyone would choose either. Irish beers, German beers, yes.

    Hell, I can't even think of a British beer.