Browns 53 + Practice Squad
-
Since camp opened, there were reports that JMJ was not fitting into the D system. He is too slow and better for a 4-3. Guys like Hazel, Martin and McGee are great 3-4 prospects and played well on ST during their teams' respective camps.
-
I have a feeling I already know the gameplan for the Dolphins game. Heavy doses of TRich behind 2 TE sets, I'm thinking. We'll throw a couple deep balls to Benjamin, but will mostly play a control offense. Norv will try to get many mismatches on Cameron and will utilize the 2 RB set a lot as well with TRich and Ogby. Should be efficient, but won't be flashy until Gordon returns.
-
JMJ was slated for an exit really early. That smaller linebacker we signed, the guy Chud called "old school," is 225, more in line with what Horton likes. Quicker, can cover, etc.
Bobby Rainey signing was my favorite because the Ravens are a rival and really wanted to slip him onto their practice squad. They have a clear starter and just as clear of a backup (Pierce) so Rainey wasn't gonna dress there. With us, he'll get touches. Quite a few scouts think that kid could be very, very good.
A lot of those "linebackers" and "tight ends" will be special teamers mostly... guys to keep Mingo off STs. More changes when we sign a kicker, when the guards get healthy, and when Gordon's eligible. It is indeed "fluid."
Have to think a corner figures in here somewhere, maybe in trade.
-
Seems like an awful lot of roster moves to me... and in areas where I felt good about our personel.
LB's
One wanted to see stick was Staples. I was impressed by his play and am sorry to see him go.
Also a surprise cut, though admitedly less deserving of a spot, was Fort.
Besides being one of Horton's guys, can someone explain Groves to me? I did not see him do anything of note the entire preseason.
-
Seems like an awful lot of roster moves to me... and in areas where I felt good about our personel.
LB's
One wanted to see stick was Staples. I was impressed by his play and am sorry to see him go.
Also a surprise cut, though admitedly less deserving of a spot, was Fort.
Besides being one of Horton's guys, can someone explain Groves to me? I did not see him do anything of note the entire preseason.
Seems like an awful lot of roster moves to me... and in areas where I felt good about our personel.
LB's
One wanted to see stick was Staples. I was impressed by his play and am sorry to see him go.
Also a surprise cut, though admitedly less deserving of a spot, was Fort.
Besides being one of Horton's guys, can someone explain Groves to me? I did not see him do anything of note the entire preseason.
Really? Groves had 2 sacks in the preseason and provided great pressure off the edge... Not only does he know the system, but he is a talented pass-rusher..
-
Groves is one of the emotional leaders on the defense, and he's intense. This whole defense
is set up to succeed.
What's amazing to me, is the difference with these coaches - they KNOW what they are doing,
and they know the players who fit their determination to get smarter and faster.
JMJ was quite an athelete, but didn't seem to have football instincts all too often. Wasn't quick latterally...
Staples wasn't that quick, ran a 4.78... had two solo tackles in preseason, three or four assists. Not
dynamic enough to run with the talent ahead of him.
This coaching staff knows what they are doing in a huge way, and have great reasons for the moves they make.
As expected, they will use the TE's a lot, and that explains how they see the TE talent. And like Shep said,
the Rainey pickup is a favorite, and with the plays they showed with Dion Lewis making things happen,
Rainey is perfect to step in where Lewis left off. A lesser, dumber bunch of coaches wouldn't have made
these moves. They would have stuck with the talent that was already there - wouldn't be able to coach them up,
and wouldn't know what they were looking for.
-
Seems like an awful lot of roster moves to me... and in areas where I felt good about our personel.
LB's
One wanted to see stick was Staples. I was impressed by his play and am sorry to see him go.
Also a surprise cut, though admitedly less deserving of a spot, was Fort.
Besides being one of Horton's guys, can someone explain Groves to me? I did not see him do anything of note the entire preseason.
Really? Groves had 2 sacks in the preseason and provided great pressure off the edge... Not only does he know the system, but he is a talented pass-rusher..
Really? Groves had 2 sacks in the preseason and provided great pressure off the edge... Not only does he know the system, but he is a talented pass-rusher..
If you include game 4... In first three he had 1 sack 3 solos and one assist. Not that impressive in a 3-4 where the LBs are depended on to do the heavy lifting. That he should know the system is a given having come with Horton from AZ.
Groves is one of the emotional leaders on the defense, and he's intense. This whole defense
is set up to succeed.
What's amazing to me, is the difference with these coaches - they KNOW what they are doing,
and they know the players who fit their determination to get smarter and faster.
JMJ was quite an athelete, but didn't seem to have football instincts all too often.
Staples wasn't that quick, ran a 4.78... had two solo tackles in preseason, three or four assists. Not
dynamic enough to run with the talent ahead of him.
If "by succeed" you mean "live or die by the blitz", you'll get no argument from me.
Also no argument that the staff is leaps and bounds ahead of our last bunch...
Fair enough, but in Staples I saw game speed and "hunger"... just caught my eye. As opposed to say JMJ who was "quite an athlete" but never fulfilled his promise. I like measurables more than most, but know they don't tell the full story of many players.
As for the TE's... at least half will never see the 2014 season...
-
Rainey will be interesting. He's a draftnick favorite, someone a lot of guys like Alo and Sobo and Jeremiah and Daniel Wolf talk about. As soon as he got waived, Higdon tagged him for the Browns. Like Josh Gordon, it's one of those things that made so much sense I didn't think it would happen.
Rainey was probably more "buzzy" coming into this season than Dion. Looking forward to him getting 5-7 carries.
-
Rainey will be interesting. He's a draftnick favorite, someone a lot of guys like Alo and Sobo and Jeremiah and Daniel Wolf talk about. As soon as he got waived, Higdon tagged him for the Browns. Like Josh Gordon, it's one of those things that made so much sense I didn't think it would happen.
Rainey was probably more "buzzy" coming into this season than Dion. Looking forward to him getting 5-7 carries.
Rainey will be interesting. He's a draftnick favorite, someone a lot of guys like Alo and Sobo and Jeremiah and Daniel Wolf talk about. As soon as he got waived, Higdon tagged him for the Browns. Like Josh Gordon, it's one of those things that made so much sense I didn't think it would happen.
Rainey was probably more "buzzy" coming into this season than Dion. Looking forward to him getting 5-7 carries.
I think some...and perhaps even me, can get confused between Chris Rainey and Bobby Rainey. I assume they are different people?
-
Of anyone that can answer how has Skrine, Owens, McFadden (CB) look?
-
Just got to say one thing, Davone Bess, has caught 130 third-down passes, second most in the NFL during the past five years, according to the Browns. I think many people are over looking on how important this pick up is.
-
Of anyone that can answer how has Skrine, Owens, McFadden (CB) look?
Of anyone that can answer how has Skrine, Owens, McFadden (CB) look?
McFadden has looked out of his depth when he's played. He needs a lot of work before you can start to rely on him. Skrine seems to be better than last season. Owens looks injured, mostly.
-
Of anyone that can answer how has Skrine, Owens, McFadden (CB) look?
McFadden has looked out of his depth when he's played. He needs a lot of work before you can start to rely on him. Skrine seems to be better than last season. Owens looks injured, mostly.
-
Damn. Hopefully Skrine plays well, he got beat like a $5 whore at the beginning of last season.
He does seem to be better, certainly. I'm less concerned than last season, but I still think a DB of some kind will be a priorty in April.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login