Skip to content

Beware the Backups

The Browns Board
11 4 699
  • My opinion of those who would do worst:

    1. Green Bay....the gap between Aaron Rodgers and Seneca Wallace is about the size of that ditch dug out in northern Arizona.

    2. New Orleans....ditto between Brees and McCown

    3. Cincinnati....John Johnson was the Browns 4th stringer last year...and now he is #2 in Cinci? Oi!

    4. Baltimore...Tyrod Taylor?

    5. San Fran...McCoy just isn't going to be able to play the same game as Kaepernick

    6. Pittsburgh....Bruce Gradkowski isn't half as good as Charlie Batch was. (I would expect Landry Jones to come in first actually)

    Note that 3 of these are Browns AFCN foes.

    A couple of others would be hurting just because of the status of their starting QB: New England and Denver.

    Here is who I think would fare best...sorta:

    1. Jets....Smith/Sanchez/Simms/BQ....does it really matter

    2. Raiders....same deal where there is little talent gap between the starter and his backup: Pryor/Flynn ???

    3. Dallas....I am of the opinion that Kyle Orton is not far off the capability of Tony Romo

    4. Philly....Foles may not be able to do some of the same things Vick does....but he can perhaps play QB just as well...just with a different style.

    5. Cleveland: Browns, it seems to me, actually have one of the better backup QB situations in the league.

    6. Redskins: Kirk Cousins proved he could win replacing RGIII

  • I have to agree with you Gipper, I'd say Green Bay would be up the creek if Rodgers goes down. That cupboard is empty. (That's actually a glaring problem Im surprised exists in their franchise)

    I'd say the team that would be ok is probably Miami. Matt Moore can sling it... I actually wanted the Browns to make a play for him before they drafted Weeden. Everytime I watch that guy I'm surprised he isn't starting somewhere. Well that and I don't think Tannehill is much more than a back up anyway

    Cousins has also shown he is more than capable of running an offense.

  • I see where the Bengals have picked up Greg McElroy...probably better for them than Josh Johnson.

  • I remember the Browns of old ('60's) making it seem like any backup QB was an all-star... especially if he came in off of the bench.

    For example:

    - Blanda in for Lamonica

    - Hart in for Johnson

    Both rallied their teams to victory

    Used to pray for the starter to get up, if we knocked him down.

  • I remember the Browns of old ('60's) making it seem like any backup QB was an all-star... especially if he came in off of the bench.

    For example:

    - Blanda in for Lamonica

    - Hart in for Johnson

    Both rallied their teams to victory

    Used to pray for the starter to get up, if we knocked him down.

    @tour2ma said:

    I remember the Browns of old ('60's) making it seem like any backup QB was an all-star... especially if he came in off of the bench.

    For example:

    - Blanda in for Lamonica

    - Hart in for Johnson

    Both rallied their teams to victory

    Used to pray for the starter to get up, if we knocked him down.

    The most renowned backup of all time perhaps was Earl Morrall who started the 1968 Super Bowl...but was relieved by the old wizard Johnny U. And then he started most of the Dolphins 1972 season before the injured Bob Griese got the call to start the Super Bowl.

    Other renowned backups:

    John Hadl, backup to Tobin Rote for Chargers

    Gary Hoogeboom backup to Danny White for Cowboys

    It was Frank Reich who led the greatest comeback in history: Bills vs. Oilers, not Jim Kelly

    Jeff Hostetler came in as a backup and won a Super Bowl for the Giants.

    Don Strock on several occasion came in for the Dolphins to pull them out of the fire

    Steve Bono was a good backup to Montana

    And this guy wasn't really a backup...but a guy replaced by two legends:

    Steve DeBerg....was the starting QB for the 49ers til he had to give way to Joe Montana in like the 1980 season....and when he move on to another team that team happened to be the Denver Broncos who he led for a couple of years until they drafted Elway.

  • Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere😞 Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

    Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

    Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... 😳

  • Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere😞 Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

    Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

    Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... 😳

    @thenew23 said:

    Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere😞 Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

    Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

    Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... 😳

    Don't forget Thad Lewis with the Bills. and that Jake Delhomme may still be out there looking for work.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Obviously these teams have the best backups (I mean most of these guys could start somewhere😞 Carolina, Green bay, New York Jets, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco

    Trully amazing to see such a selection of starting QB quality guys like Derek Anderson, Seneca Wallace, Brady Quinn, Luke McCown, Bruce Gradkowski, and Colt McCoy respectively. I can't believe Charlie Frye, Kelly Holcolm, and Ken Dorsey haven't latched on anywhere.

    Jeez... teams have been raiding our cupboards for years... 😳

    Don't forget Thad Lewis with the Bills. and that Jake Delhomme may still be out there looking for work.

    @the-gipper said:

    Don't forget Thad Lewis with the Bills. and that Jake Delhomme may still be out there looking for work.

    Right... how did Shurmur not end up with his man crush in Philly? And, how could I forget about Delhomme, he played in a Super Bowl.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Don't forget Thad Lewis with the Bills. and that Jake Delhomme may still be out there looking for work.

    Right... how did Shurmur not end up with his man crush in Philly? And, how could I forget about Delhomme, he played in a Super Bowl.

    @thenew23 said:

    Right... how did Shurmur not end up with his man crush in Philly? And, how could I forget about Delhomme, he played in a Super Bowl.

    I believe Delhomme may have actually announced his retirement before last year. So, maybe he don't count?

    And I read now that Charlie Frye is essentially officially retired. In fact, for the last few couple of years he has been a high school coach under Kenard Lang at a Fla. High school:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Frye

  • Delhomme I think has given up football to become a chicken man:

    Delhomme has garnered popularity as a pitch-man for the Cajun fast food restaurant, Bojangles', where he is often depicted as a single-minded fried-chicken addict who audibles Bojangles' "fixin's" at the line of scrimmage.[41] One commercial parodies the film Jerry Maguire and the line "Show me the money!"; former teammate with the Panthers Steve Smith is featured in a cameo.[42] Another commercial with Smith portrays the duo as the Dukes of Hazzard, driving The General Lee with a large chicken head on the roof.[43] Delhomme has also done SunCom Wireless limited edition cell phone commercials that feature a Panthers logo and his signature,[44] and he has appeared in public service announcements for Civitan International.[45] Delhomme is noted for licking his fingers before every play, and sticking his tongue out as part of his focus.[46][47]