Skip to content

Week 1 Game Impressions: Fins @ Browns

The Browns Board
173 37 7.8k
  • On the plus side, does 20 yards allows, 0.9 average, give us the best run defence in the league so far? 😎

  • Plus we can objectively say we weren't the worst team out there today. the Jaguars looked total ass, at least we only looked like major ass.

  • Everything gets better with better quarterback play. Watch Kaepernick and Rodgers making something out of broken pockets, turning problems into gains. Tannehill did the same, although he's not to that level just yet. Your quarterback has to be THE SOLUTION, not just the lesser of a few problems. In other words, by not being a solution, Weeden IS the problem.

    Because he's the quarterback in a quarterback league. Is what it is.

    I'm not talking about one game. I'm talking about watching him for 25 games. It's what I see: A guy with slow eyes, low-end wheels, and a problem passing from anything less than a squeaky clean pocket. He has a big arm and throws a pretty ball, which I've always loved about him... but I'm not sure he's that different from Derek Anderson.

    Think of it this way: If we offered Weeden for each of the other 31 starters right now, how many would take us up on it? I'll tell you before you suggest it, not Buffalo or the Jets. Probably the Jags, but Henne might start. Perhaps the Raiders, possibly the Vikings.

    Not many. There are about 29 teams that would rather have their guy than ours. I'm hoping it changes... but right now that's the case.

  • Plus we can objectively say we weren't the worst team out there today. the Jaguars looked total ass, at least we only looked like major ass.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Plus we can objectively say we weren't the worst team out there today. the Jaguars looked total ass, at least we only looked like major ass.

    Yep. But for the 6th year in a row. That's the difference.

  • If you're gonna get sacked, you'd better be tough...

  • Good analysis, Shep... but you neglected to mention his slow release. 😉

    I will say one thing for the old man... he stood tough in there and took some shots today.

  • I'm pissed off, but I still think positive. I mean, we've been constantly amongst the worst teams in the league, with a couple of exceptions, since we came back to the NFL and "re-build" has been the key word year in and year out. But what makes me see things differently is the fact that this time I thnk we have the right coaching staff to bring us out of the s**t for good.

    Let them work.

  • Everything gets better with better quarterback play. Watch Kaepernick and Rodgers making something out of broken pockets, turning problems into gains. Tannehill did the same, although he's not to that level just yet. Your quarterback has to be THE SOLUTION, not just the lesser of a few problems. In other words, by not being a solution, Weeden IS the problem.

    Because he's the quarterback in a quarterback league. Is what it is.

    I'm not talking about one game. I'm talking about watching him for 25 games. It's what I see: A guy with slow eyes, low-end wheels, and a problem passing from anything less than a squeaky clean pocket. He has a big arm and throws a pretty ball, which I've always loved about him... but I'm not sure he's that different from Derek Anderson.

    Think of it this way: If we offered Weeden for each of the other 31 starters right now, how many would take us up on it? I'll tell you before you suggest it, not Buffalo or the Jets. Probably the Jags, but Henne might start. Perhaps the Raiders, possibly the Vikings.

    Not many. There are about 29 teams that would rather have their guy than ours. I'm hoping it changes... but right now that's the case.

    @shep said:

    Everything gets better with better quarterback play. Watch Kaepernick and Rodgers making something out of broken pockets, turning problems into gains. Tannehill did the same, although he's not to that level just yet. You're quarterback has to be THE SOLUTION, not just the lesser of a few problems. In other words, by not being a solution, Weeden IS the problem.

    Because he's the quarterback in a quarterback league. Is what it is.

    I'm not talking about one game. I'm talking about watching him for 25 games. It's what I see: A guy with slow eyes, low-end wheels, and a problem passing from anything less than a squeaky clean pocket. He has a big arm and throws a pretty ball, which I've always loved about him... but I'm not sure he's that different from Derek Anderson.

    Think of it this way: If we offered Weeden for each of the other 31 starters right now, how many would take us up on it? I'll tell you before you suggest it, not Buffalo or the Jets. Probably the Jags, but Henne might start. Perhaps the Raiders, possibly the Vikings.

    Not many. There are about 29 teams that would rather have their guy than ours. I'm hoping it changes... but right now that's the case.

    He hasnt played 25 games yet...but mostly..I agree...

  • 17 regular season and 8 preseason. Not full games, mind you, but that's how many games he's started for the Browns. Wait, he sat the 4th preseason game so it's 24.

    I saw pretty much the same guy I saw last year. I wish I could say otherwise.

  • Hopefully when Gordon's back we'll see a big improvement....he says, somewhat optimistically.

  • Gordon helps, if his head is right... just not sure it is based on his preseason body language.

    But again as Shep is saying it's on Wheezy... and setting aside the athleticism (he actually moved better than I expected today and made one pretty nice throw on the run... the one Cam leapt to snag).... what's bothering me is the continuing apparent lack of any pre-snap reads.

    And sure, you don't audible in Norv's system.. blah blah blah... but you can sure as hell make line calls. He made one today on a running play to TR (still went for zip), but not on the 3rd and 2 pass I wrote about earlier that ended up with him sacked.

    It's the real difference between a thrower and an NFL calibre QB... may be in Wheezy, but haven't seen it yet.

  • I wasn't able to watch the game but will watch it tomorrow with NFL Game Rewind. I did catch a little of the game on RedZone and what I saw was Weeden panicked sometimes but he also made some nice throws as well. The pass to Jordan Cameron was nice as well as the TD to Barnidge even though it was called back. At the end of the game when Weeden got pressured out of the pocket and threw the incomplete pass to end the game, that shows a complete lack of composure. Of course our OL didn't help the situation.

    I saw two plays from Skrine, the pass breakup and the TD allowed so I can't say much more than that. Haden shut down Wallace completely who had only 1 catch. The front 7 looked nice against the run but that is also a Dolphins weakness.

  • If we're not better week 3, when we get a RG & Gordon back, then 6 - 10 is going to be a push.

    Just like the Indy game, we abandoned the Run game and just threw, threw, threw.

    Hate to say it, but if we can trade Trent for a bundle of Draft picks we need to do it, he's wasted on this Team.

  • Why does our dumbass kickoff returner keep running the ball out 9 yards out of the endzone? Does he understand if he downs it we can get to the 20?

    @dawg08 said:

    Why does our dumbass kickoff returner keep running the ball out 9 yards out of the endzone? Does he understand if he downs it we can get to the 20?

    the league is probably not too far away from removing kickoffs altogether.

    Weeds has won all of four games at home. If you can't win at home forget about contending. He aint the guy. Granted, he has been under a great deal of pressure but one has to look only across the field today to judge how a prospect is improving. Tannehill gained confidence, especially in the second half, while Weeds screwed the pooch. The Browns were 1-14 on third down conversions. what the fuck else is there to say?

    TRich is a fumble/injury waiting to happen. His efforts are commendable in fighting for the extra yardage but the potential payoff isn't worth the risk. Especially with a group of back ups who probably couldn't compete in the SEC. Quit dancing and head downstream.

    WR's (besides Bess) stunk the field up. Hope they have a good look at Gurley this week. The kid is big and motivated. Who knows, maybe he could turn into the deep threat the Browns so obviously lack? Yea, Gordon was obviously missed but I am having a hard time putting much long term reliance on a kid with some big time character issues. Cleveland ain't exactly the best environment for a head case to work through his problems

    Today, Ogbo played like he isn't the answer at fullback. His blocking was anemic.

    Secondary dropped two that should have been intercepted

    Lanning and special teams played pretty well.

    New coaches, stadium upgrade, new owner in his first full season, "upgraded" offense and defensive schemes.....same old Browns.

  • week 3? maybe week 6?

    fuck this shit! we got guys leaping in the air throwing themselves in harm's way because ginger boy can't hit the target? if we don't see improvement by week 3 put in the backup and draft the #1 rookie next year,

    and NO, it's not tim tebow bitches!

  • so you are soooo right,.

    besides weeden tell me what section of players cost us this 'easy' win game?

    my opinion. the OL. but god knows tha those players are a dime a dozen.

  • week 3? maybe week 6?

    fuck this shit! we got guys leaping in the air throwing themselves in harm's way because ginger boy can't hit the target? if we don't see improvement by week 3 put in the backup and draft the #1 rookie next year,

    and NO, it's not tim tebow bitches!

    @miktoxic said:

    week 3? maybe week 6?

    fuck this shit! we got guys leaping in the air throwing themselves in harm's way because ginger boy can't hit the target? if we don't see improvement by week 3 put in the backup and draft the #1 rookie next year,

    and NO, it's not tim tebow bitches!

    And, putting in the backup would do what exactly? Do you think it would improve our team? Hmmm...

    @mike-h said:

    It's easy to point the finger solely at Weeden, that way you don't have to do any real analysis, Shep.

    Kudos.

    ^ This

  • well while you fairies are in disneyland i'll remind you 2 tards that there are only 16 games in the NFL schedule.

    so laugh it off as you ride the 'matterhorn' you faggots.

    -one game closer to playoffs, you stoops.

  • Lost me on that rant, mik.... 😵

    Mike,

    There are more issues than Wheezy, but what has he shown you that says he is part of the solution?

  • @shep said:

    Weeden is neither and gets very uncomfortable with a dirty pocket. I'm sure I'll take shit for overreacting, but I don't think he's the guy nor will he ever be. I'd make the switch to Jason Campbell now because he makes sense next year mentoring Tajh. Weeden isn't a starter or a backup/mentor.

    Why? Why? Why? Why do us Browns fans overreact to our QB situation constantly? Would Campbell REALLY have done any better in this game? We played a tough defensive front and couldn't block sh**, and our WRs didn't help, potentially causing all 3 INTs.

    Weeden's play was probably our 5th or 6th worst problem of the day... blocking, wrs dropping passes and not getting open, secondary (sans Haden) getting beat, penalties, and possibly KR were worse. But, it's ALWAYS blame the QB... SMH

    @thenew23 said:

    Why? Why? Why? Why do us Browns fans overreact to our QB situation constantly? Would Campbell REALLY have done any better in this game? We played a tough defensive front and couldn't block sh**, and our WRs didn't help, potentially causing all 3 INTs.

    Weeden's play was probably our 5th or 6th worst problem of the day... blocking, wrs dropping passes and not getting open, secondary (sans Haden) getting beat, penalties, and possibly KR were worse. But, it's ALWAYS blame the QB... SMH

    Agree completely, I feel really bad for BW, not a lot of help and got the living shit kicked out of him. I can't recall our o-line ever looking that horrific, did well run blocking early on tho. I don't know if the coaches over reacted and panicked but why stop feeding the rock to TR? TBH, the 3 int's didn't hurt us much at all except for field position. I feel Cousins mistakes cost us WAY WAY more, killed all kinda drives and it effected Schwartz's play too. The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing to me was not having Gordon out there. Look at how Tanny and Hartline's timing and chemistry was. Whenever they needed it, it was there (and I don't fault Skrine either) if Gordon had played he IMO would have done for Weeden what Hartline did for Tanny and woulda been a different ballgame. Would have made the fins D play honest and not let them pin their ears back and terrorize Weeden. When Josh gets back this O will be completely different, unless Weeden gets broke by Baltimore.