Engineering Careers in Cleveland
-
Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.
I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.
Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.
I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.
It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)
Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.
And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?
-
Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.
I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.
It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)
Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.
And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?
It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)
Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.
And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?
1) Why are you so hostile? You in a bad mood?
2) Yes, I know who Bo is...
3) I'm sure you'll take this as coming off arrogant, but I have options on where I want to look. I'm not gonna be desperately looking for a job months after graduating. I'll accept something before Christmas most likely. I'll have options to choose from and location will matter...
4) I co-op at a foreign automaker plant over the winter and it was not union. It helped me at a ton in being able to do my job. I didn't have to worry about a union. I could go down on to the floor and use a tool, or fix something, or whatever. My buddy at Babcock's would not even be able to make the slightest fix to a machine because a union worker had to do it. That's something I'd like to avoid if possible. Or at least something I'm going to consider
-
B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:
https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25
B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:
https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25
If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.
-
Parker Hannifin, Lincoln Electric, Lockheed Martin in Akron.
-
I interned at Lincoln Electric 2 summers ago, it was alright. I may have just been put in a shitty division of the company. But I wasn't a big fan. I'll still apply though. I was in Cleveland though, not Akron
-
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
-
I'd love a job that I love, but I realize what's up. I've had 3 internships/ co-op so far though, so I've got some experience. Out of the 3 Lincoln was easily the worst. I know the profit sharing bonuses are really nice but the company seemed really conservative and strict. Like I said, maybe it was my department though.
-
I know you have certain things you want, but in the end you will work for whoever hires you.
Unless you already have companies knocking at your door, eager to acquire your services, you best not be too selective in your search and cast a fairly wide net. I'd say nationwide, there might be 50,000 graduating engineers seeking employment, not to mention a large number with experience who have been let go because of company cut backs.
The best place to start is where you already have some exposure. If you impressed, you might have the inside track.
In these parts, TVA employs a large number of engineers. In Cleveland, try NASA at Lewis Research.
-
Well we've got the career fair here Monday and Tuesday, around 300 companies. I'll have to see if any are in the area
-
does it matter what type of company you would have to work for? i mean there are companies that are not solely based on mechanical engineering.
if you can deal with working for a subcontractor who does the mechanical work for construction companies (top of the line union.....you can't beat union benefits) i'm talking turner, tishman, etc in nyc and a couple in texas........
i've got contacts.
not to sound like an ass but if you can work here in new york for ten years, any company in ohio that sees your resume those ten years later will hire you on the spot for the money you made here. meaning you'll be living like a king there.
-
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
-
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
well you tell me.
could you handle being the engineer for a 30 story building? (meaning plumbing=huge steam valve and even torch work, hvac, structural considerations etc.?)
a mechanical engineer for a high rise is a 6 figure job starting out of the gates. as a matter of fact they have competitions every year for which buildings' engineer/superintendant workforce has the best looking and performing system of the year. i'll post a couple of pics i/we used for commercial constuction phtog co. i used to work for in the early 90s.
you'd be surprised.
my best friends son has worked for 3 co's in the past 5 years as project manager handeling all phases of constuctionfrom foundation to top off. he's making over 6 figures straight out of rehab and got his friends in doing something/anything just below what he gets paid. and believe me that kid owes me. so a phone call and a good word means a lot.....anywhere.
the last building they built was featured in arch digest. it's an art gallery 7 stories high with blow-out front garge door type windows.....i'lll have to find the link.
-
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
-
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
well like i said it's nyc. where it's expensive as hell to live BUT as frank sinatra said/sang: if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. sorta like being a browns fan. man up.
sometimes getting out of your element might make the biggest change in your life.
there is no life vest though. you gotta do it on your own. your positives are that you are young enough to prob have family left so if things didn't work out you'd always have a place to go back to.
you wanna make the big money and make a big change?
let me show you my friend's son's last build. you might be inspired.
-
B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:
https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25
If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.
If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.
I work in Barberton. It is not a ghetto. It is a working class town.
It probably had more churches and bars per capita than any town in America.
But, it lost about 5000 jobs during the Reagan era, and no town of 30K can lose 5K jobs and not feel it.
-
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
-
this is the building they finished earlier this year. he was the project manager for the construction company.
click on the slideshow option underneath the pic on the cover to check out more photos and drawings.
here are 2 more articles about the project:
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/blogs/daily/2013/04/interview-ad100-architect-annabelle-selldorf
this is my friends linkedin account:
i'm sure i could get info from him of the companies that he dealt with on the mechanical engineering end. i don't know exactly what the specific job you are looking for. what do your studies include? what could you offer a company?
ps: if you are not on linkenin you should join. like a facebook for professionals. they also have companies that read your profile (students as well) and put up job opportunities.
-
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
-
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
I have never been in it. Maybe they should have the Ghost Chasers or someone go in there.

-
my best suggestion to you woody would be to google the area in which you want to work in and then flood them with a cover letter explaining you would consider working as an intern to get your foot in the door and then explain to them in resume form what your qualifications are.
that's what i did when i got out of the army in 85 and someone had seen something in my letter (military history and tech illy, and prod art as well as presentation applications that the person took me in and i worked there til i retired).
you might have to give away pay at first to make up for it it later. hope you got family you can live with while the process happens.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login