Engineering Careers in Cleveland
-
Well we've got the career fair here Monday and Tuesday, around 300 companies. I'll have to see if any are in the area
-
does it matter what type of company you would have to work for? i mean there are companies that are not solely based on mechanical engineering.
if you can deal with working for a subcontractor who does the mechanical work for construction companies (top of the line union.....you can't beat union benefits) i'm talking turner, tishman, etc in nyc and a couple in texas........
i've got contacts.
not to sound like an ass but if you can work here in new york for ten years, any company in ohio that sees your resume those ten years later will hire you on the spot for the money you made here. meaning you'll be living like a king there.
-
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
-
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
What kind of mechanical work?
From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair
well you tell me.
could you handle being the engineer for a 30 story building? (meaning plumbing=huge steam valve and even torch work, hvac, structural considerations etc.?)
a mechanical engineer for a high rise is a 6 figure job starting out of the gates. as a matter of fact they have competitions every year for which buildings' engineer/superintendant workforce has the best looking and performing system of the year. i'll post a couple of pics i/we used for commercial constuction phtog co. i used to work for in the early 90s.
you'd be surprised.
my best friends son has worked for 3 co's in the past 5 years as project manager handeling all phases of constuctionfrom foundation to top off. he's making over 6 figures straight out of rehab and got his friends in doing something/anything just below what he gets paid. and believe me that kid owes me. so a phone call and a good word means a lot.....anywhere.
the last building they built was featured in arch digest. it's an art gallery 7 stories high with blow-out front garge door type windows.....i'lll have to find the link.
-
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
-
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
A link and pics would be cool.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area
well like i said it's nyc. where it's expensive as hell to live BUT as frank sinatra said/sang: if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. sorta like being a browns fan. man up.
sometimes getting out of your element might make the biggest change in your life.
there is no life vest though. you gotta do it on your own. your positives are that you are young enough to prob have family left so if things didn't work out you'd always have a place to go back to.
you wanna make the big money and make a big change?
let me show you my friend's son's last build. you might be inspired.
-
B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:
https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25
If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.
If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.
I work in Barberton. It is not a ghetto. It is a working class town.
It probably had more churches and bars per capita than any town in America.
But, it lost about 5000 jobs during the Reagan era, and no town of 30K can lose 5K jobs and not feel it.
-
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
-
this is the building they finished earlier this year. he was the project manager for the construction company.
click on the slideshow option underneath the pic on the cover to check out more photos and drawings.
here are 2 more articles about the project:
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/blogs/daily/2013/04/interview-ad100-architect-annabelle-selldorf
this is my friends linkedin account:
i'm sure i could get info from him of the companies that he dealt with on the mechanical engineering end. i don't know exactly what the specific job you are looking for. what do your studies include? what could you offer a company?
ps: if you are not on linkenin you should join. like a facebook for professionals. they also have companies that read your profile (students as well) and put up job opportunities.
-
Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
-
Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.
The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).
the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
I know that Gipper. I was suggesting Lockheed Martin company. The Air Dock is utilized now for developing monitoring type equpment by Lockheed. I worked at Lockheed for awhile and am familiar with the Air
dock. That is one scarry ass place at night.
I have never been in it. Maybe they should have the Ghost Chasers or someone go in there.

-
my best suggestion to you woody would be to google the area in which you want to work in and then flood them with a cover letter explaining you would consider working as an intern to get your foot in the door and then explain to them in resume form what your qualifications are.
that's what i did when i got out of the army in 85 and someone had seen something in my letter (military history and tech illy, and prod art as well as presentation applications that the person took me in and i worked there til i retired).
you might have to give away pay at first to make up for it it later. hope you got family you can live with while the process happens.
-
I'm not really looking to work for free or as an intern, I've already worked as an intern or co-op somewhere (paid pretty well too)
I've already lined up a decent amount of interviews from Michigan's career fair, but I still need to apply to my "Cleveland pool." I'm not at the point where'd I'd need to hop on as an intern somewhere.
-
Welcome to the shitty job market. My advice: Go back to school if you can't find a job.
-
Engineering is pretty nice. I have no worries about not finding ANY job. I just want some input for my Cleveland search
-
my dad worked as a design engineer for (then) Eaton Yale and Towne, hydraulic division
he also worked a short time at Parker- Hannifin and Weatherhead.
His first job in Cleveland was at Borg Warner - Pesco products on Aurora Rd - probably now highway I-480?
he helped design some pumps used in the minuteman / polaris missiles when BW had a lucrative military contract in the late 60's
-
Welcome to the shitty job market. My advice: Go back to school if you can't find a job.
Welcome to the shitty job market. My advice: Go back to school if you can't find a job.
Yes, if you can't find a job now the best thing would be to rack up more debt.
-
Look into Shiloh and similar places. Someone's got to maintain those robots. I thought about applying for that job myself.
-
or if you don't want to take anyone else's advice......
do a google search of mechanical engineering markets in the areas you would be willing to travel to within ohio.
then flood the market with your separate cover letters and resume.
seems like you're wasting our time. sometimes you have to go beneath your value to get in the door of a company that you would love to work for and live off of kraft macaroni and cheese and hot dog soup for a year.
your complexion might not be the best but if you prove to your employers you got what it takes and they hire you full-time, then just climb the ladder son.
oh and btw what's got you stuck on ohio (no disrespect, i plan on moving back there within the next decade)? but you have to go to where the jobs are.
-
I hear McDonald's is hiring sanitary engineers at the McD's in Strongsville.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login