Engineering Careers in Cleveland
-
Engineering is pretty nice. I have no worries about not finding ANY job. I just want some input for my Cleveland search
-
my dad worked as a design engineer for (then) Eaton Yale and Towne, hydraulic division
he also worked a short time at Parker- Hannifin and Weatherhead.
His first job in Cleveland was at Borg Warner - Pesco products on Aurora Rd - probably now highway I-480?
he helped design some pumps used in the minuteman / polaris missiles when BW had a lucrative military contract in the late 60's
-
Welcome to the shitty job market. My advice: Go back to school if you can't find a job.
Welcome to the shitty job market. My advice: Go back to school if you can't find a job.
Yes, if you can't find a job now the best thing would be to rack up more debt.
-
Look into Shiloh and similar places. Someone's got to maintain those robots. I thought about applying for that job myself.
-
or if you don't want to take anyone else's advice......
do a google search of mechanical engineering markets in the areas you would be willing to travel to within ohio.
then flood the market with your separate cover letters and resume.
seems like you're wasting our time. sometimes you have to go beneath your value to get in the door of a company that you would love to work for and live off of kraft macaroni and cheese and hot dog soup for a year.
your complexion might not be the best but if you prove to your employers you got what it takes and they hire you full-time, then just climb the ladder son.
oh and btw what's got you stuck on ohio (no disrespect, i plan on moving back there within the next decade)? but you have to go to where the jobs are.
-
I hear McDonald's is hiring sanitary engineers at the McD's in Strongsville.
-
I'm not stuck on Ohio, I visited maybe 20 companies at my career fair. I've already had interviews with Proctor and Gamble, Rolls-Royce, etc and have others like 3M, GM, etc coming up. I know its dumb to just say N.E.O. jobs and ignore the rest. I'm throwing myself out there to see what I can get in the MidWest or US.
I like where I live though. I like Cleveland and I think it would be s good area to start a career.
My focus is more manufacturing based, not design. The common theme from all the companies I've talked to is there is a rising demand for manufacturing engineers, but not so much design. I'm not stuck on manufacturing, but that is where a lot of my work experience is.
Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to look into in the area. I figured there are a lot of guys fr Cleveland on the board. I'm not so much looking for career advice, but I'll listen to anything you want to say.
I'm not trying to come off as arrogant or something being beneath me or whatever. I just have a decent idea where I stand and am really only looking for company names, ones I really would never have heard of or ones others on here recommended
-
Try the Public Utilities. First Energy, Dominion etc. Certainly they are making the big money to afford to pay.
-
or if you travel 30 miles west of where i grew up in sandusky, there's a nuclear power plant that could always use a mechanical engineer.
just don't drink the water.
let's go BUCKS!!
-
I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.
-
I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.
I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.
no, but he could probably hit the switch for the sub-pump.
hey everything manufacturing wise is going to be centralized wherever the new energy sources are. i.e. wind power (out in tornado alley) or water (on the coasts).
my grandfather (besides once being mayor of sandusky), helped found 'new departure' which manufactured ball bearings and products that needed ball bearings.
here in westchester new york 2 miles south where i live now there was a production company that made steel tension wires that had 2 shifts operating 24 hours a day 7 days a week. well they have since knocked that plant down, knocked the GM plant down in sleepy hollow and new departure is all but departed.
yeah, i would have loved to work 2 blocks from where i lived in sandusky at an ad agency that gave the options to retire at 49. but the ginsu knife factory or callahan motors only had a 5 year plan. just like the browns FO.
get out of ohio for a while and see the world. love ohio (born and bred) but sometimes getting on that jet plane can change your life for the better.
-
I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.
I don't think Woody is a Nuclear Engineer.
I started nuclear because my dad got his degree in it and I wanted to go into energy. But then the disaster in Japan happened and it looked bad for the industry so I switched to MechE because it is so broad.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login