Skip to content

Engineering Careers in Cleveland

Barber Shop Talk
38 8 1.5k
  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Serious question for a sec here.

    So I'm in my sr year of mechanical engineering now and at the beginning stages of my job search. I already have an idea about some of the companies I'll be applying to.

    That being said I'm still looking into other places to apply. Though I'm not tied down by it, I'd like to stay in the Cleveland area.

    I figured, there has to be a decent amount of members on this board from the area. Basically I'm looking for any suggestions company wise. That way I could look into them and see what I find.

    This is potentially a good resource at my disposal, so I might as well try to use it.

    So any suggestions for companies in the area I should look into? Maybe somewhere I haven't hears of before. Any suggestion is appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a few additions to my current list.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:

    https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #3

    B&w n.o.g. is a good company. They also have a branch in Euclid. Try Eaton as well.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.

    I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.

  • Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.

    I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #5

    @mld-woody said:

    Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.

    I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.

    It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)

    Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.

    And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?

  • @mld-woody said:

    Eaton would be great. Their HQs looks awesome here. I got an interview for a co-op last year but needed to fly out to NC to interview, so I didn't bother.

    I had a buddy intern at Babcock and Wilcox last summer. Didn't sound too amazing. It being union really limited what he could do as an engineer. Plus Barberton isn't that sexy of a destination.

    It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)

    Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.

    And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @the-gipper said:

    It was good enough for Bo Schembechler...do you know who he is? Its damn well good enough for you (or maybe too good for you)

    Besides, you said you were looking for a job, not a vacation.

    And hell yes its union. What country do you think we are living in?

    1) Why are you so hostile? You in a bad mood?

    2) Yes, I know who Bo is...

    3) I'm sure you'll take this as coming off arrogant, but I have options on where I want to look. I'm not gonna be desperately looking for a job months after graduating. I'll accept something before Christmas most likely. I'll have options to choose from and location will matter...

    4) I co-op at a foreign automaker plant over the winter and it was not union. It helped me at a ton in being able to do my job. I didn't have to worry about a union. I could go down on to the floor and use a tool, or fix something, or whatever. My buddy at Babcock's would not even be able to make the slightest fix to a machine because a union worker had to do it. That's something I'd like to avoid if possible. Or at least something I'm going to consider

  • B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:

    https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @the-gipper said:

    B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:

    https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25

    If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Parker Hannifin, Lincoln Electric, Lockheed Martin in Akron.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #9

    I interned at Lincoln Electric 2 summers ago, it was alright. I may have just been put in a shitty division of the company. But I wasn't a big fan. I'll still apply though. I was in Cleveland though, not Akron

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #11

    I'd love a job that I love, but I realize what's up. I've had 3 internships/ co-op so far though, so I've got some experience. Out of the 3 Lincoln was easily the worst. I know the profit sharing bonuses are really nice but the company seemed really conservative and strict. Like I said, maybe it was my department though.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #12

    I know you have certain things you want, but in the end you will work for whoever hires you.

    Unless you already have companies knocking at your door, eager to acquire your services, you best not be too selective in your search and cast a fairly wide net. I'd say nationwide, there might be 50,000 graduating engineers seeking employment, not to mention a large number with experience who have been let go because of company cut backs.

    The best place to start is where you already have some exposure. If you impressed, you might have the inside track.

    In these parts, TVA employs a large number of engineers. In Cleveland, try NASA at Lewis Research.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Well we've got the career fair here Monday and Tuesday, around 300 companies. I'll have to see if any are in the area

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #14

    does it matter what type of company you would have to work for? i mean there are companies that are not solely based on mechanical engineering.

    if you can deal with working for a subcontractor who does the mechanical work for construction companies (top of the line union.....you can't beat union benefits) i'm talking turner, tishman, etc in nyc and a couple in texas........

    i've got contacts.

    not to sound like an ass but if you can work here in new york for ten years, any company in ohio that sees your resume those ten years later will hire you on the spot for the money you made here. meaning you'll be living like a king there.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #15

    What kind of mechanical work?

    From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair

  • What kind of mechanical work?

    From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #16

    @mld-woody said:

    What kind of mechanical work?

    From this thread I was just working for a list of companies to look into, maybe see if they were going to be at Michigan's career fair

    well you tell me.

    could you handle being the engineer for a 30 story building? (meaning plumbing=huge steam valve and even torch work, hvac, structural considerations etc.?)

    a mechanical engineer for a high rise is a 6 figure job starting out of the gates. as a matter of fact they have competitions every year for which buildings' engineer/superintendant workforce has the best looking and performing system of the year. i'll post a couple of pics i/we used for commercial constuction phtog co. i used to work for in the early 90s.

    you'd be surprised.

    my best friends son has worked for 3 co's in the past 5 years as project manager handeling all phases of constuctionfrom foundation to top off. he's making over 6 figures straight out of rehab and got his friends in doing something/anything just below what he gets paid. and believe me that kid owes me. so a phone call and a good word means a lot.....anywhere.

    the last building they built was featured in arch digest. it's an art gallery 7 stories high with blow-out front garge door type windows.....i'lll have to find the link.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #17

    A link and pics would be cool.

    Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area

  • A link and pics would be cool.

    Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @mld-woody said:

    A link and pics would be cool.

    Like I said, I'm just looking for names of companies to research in the Cleveland area

    well like i said it's nyc. where it's expensive as hell to live BUT as frank sinatra said/sang: if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. sorta like being a browns fan. man up.

    sometimes getting out of your element might make the biggest change in your life.

    there is no life vest though. you gotta do it on your own. your positives are that you are young enough to prob have family left so if things didn't work out you'd always have a place to go back to.

    you wanna make the big money and make a big change?

    let me show you my friend's son's last build. you might be inspired.

  • @the-gipper said:

    B&W (Babcock and Wilcox) here in Barberton employs over 2000 people, many with technical degrees. They also have divisions all over the country and abroad, but their biggest operation is probably here: link:

    https://babcock.tms.hrdepartment.com/cgi-bin/a/alljobs.cgi?order=jobs.timedate DESC&start=0&qty=25

    If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    If you want to work in the Ghetto move to Barberton.

    I work in Barberton. It is not a ghetto. It is a working class town.

    It probably had more churches and bars per capita than any town in America.

    But, it lost about 5000 jobs during the Reagan era, and no town of 30K can lose 5K jobs and not feel it.

  • Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Woody, I hate to clue you my man, but the odds are you are not going to be enthralled with your job after working there for awhile. Lincoln Electric is known for paying huge bonuses every year. It is in Mentor or somewhere out in the eastern suburbs. Lockheed has a division in the old Akron Air Dock in Akron. Not sure if they would have any positions for you. Parker is in Mayfield Hts, but has divisions all over the world. You may have to move to get a good position.

    Goodyear Aerospace became Lockheed when it decided to essentially get out of the aerospace business.

    The Air Dock does not house the blimps. It was really builf for the larger zeppelin style airships (rigid frame).

    the Blimps are now housed out at Winfoot Lake.