Skip to content

There isn't a franchise QB in the upcoming draft

The Browns Board
79 30 3.7k
  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Well it looks like were dead set on first dibs. And I like the WR at the top. Cant wait to see what Evans from A&M's 40 time is.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #43

    i thought you were the leader of the thread "great trade by the browns TR is a bum."

    so what are you exactly saying now? would you consider drafting CBs Ss and OLmen before QBs and RBs and WRs?

    you got the same weed guy as me?

    chronic will swallow your brain sometimes.

  • @thenew23 said:

    O-line is important, but our guys are adequate (when healthy).

    You also have to have a solid line ... which we already have...

    Adequate = Solid? Not in my book, but does not matter since I disagree.

    Even if I agreed that our best five are "adequate" (which I do not), lines rarely make it through a season intact.

    You really have to be seven deep with a spare interior OL and spare OT... And your starting RT has to be at least an adequate LT... and no way we have an adequate back up LT.

    You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @tour2ma said:

    You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

    I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

    This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

    I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

    @cbus-brownie said:

    So did Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, and Jamarcus Russell. You think Manziel has the arm for a pro style offense? No.

    And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

    Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... 😁

  • @tour2ma said:

    You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

    I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

    This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

    I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

    @cbus-brownie said:

    So did Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, and Jamarcus Russell. You think Manziel has the arm for a pro style offense? No.

    And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

    Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... 😁

    Cbus BrownieC Cbus Brownie wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @thenew23 said:

    I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

    This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

    I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

    And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

    Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... 😁

    Don't make idiotic comments like this, "Luck had college talent. So did Peterson, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Drew Brees... So, what's your point?", and I won't have to answer the most simple of questions for you. Manziel is not a long term NFL talent.

  • @tour2ma said:

    You don't have to spend 1's on any OL except LT, but spending 3's and the occasional 2 are a wise investment. Your stud QB throwing to his "weapons" will thank you...

    I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

    This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

    I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

    @cbus-brownie said:

    So did Troy Smith, Tim Tebow, and Jamarcus Russell. You think Manziel has the arm for a pro style offense? No.

    And, why did you ask a question then answer it? That's just annoying...

    Did you watch the A&M - Alabama game last week? NO. Haha see now I did that to you... 😁

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #46

    @thenew23 said:

    I'm pretty sure I said just about the same thing. .

    This team needs a QB and WRs more than o-linemen RIGHT NOW!!

    I never said you don't need a good line. I just think Thomas, Greco, Mack is solid. Schwartz is young and still developing, and is getting yanked down each week by playing next to cousins. I think Lauvao playing RG will make that side of the line remarkably better (which means slightly above average). We have a good backup inside in Pinkston. We have a good backup T on IR who we got as a UDFA. And why do we need to waste a pick on a good backup LT??? To backup MR. never missed a snap???

    Two posters "talking" past each other in a forum? Never happens... 😉

    I disagree on Lauvao, but will agree that Pinky back in is an adequate starter. Lauvao is fine as insurance, but if Gilkey develops (and I think he will), then Lauvao is expendable.

    I don't see much upside on Schwartz. Size and technique are good, but he just lacks "quick"... and you can't develop quick...

    And I did not say (or at least mean to say) that we need to draft a backup LT. What any team needs is a starting RT that can step in if the starting LT goes done. Schwartz is clearly not that guy.

    I assume you are referring to Faulk as the OT on IR. Injuries aside (and that's putting a big issue aside), your 2nd best OT plays RT. I don't remember seeing anything that said Faulk was our 2nd best OT, but the staff just might have.

    Right now our 2nd best OT may well be Wallace. He looked good against 2nd team D in the preseason.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You don't take a RG with a first round pick unless he is truly something special. Like a once in a lifetime talent with 200 pancakes a season and 0 sacks type player.

    The talent differential between a 1st round OG and a mid round OG is a lot different than that of, say, WR or CB or QB. It's much more common to see mid round prospects at OG have solid careers than it is for mid round QBs and CBs.

    I do agree, we need a OG. A real OG. But I think we can find a good one in rounds 2-4, if our scouts are worth their salt.

    never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @miktoxic said:

    never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

    We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

    Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Agree on unit cohesiveness, TCLP... prolly more important for O-line than any other unit.

    But disagree that Greco and Lauvao are of the quality we need at OG. Lauvao is fine for the run, but not pass protection. Greco is more balanced, but excels at neither. Either make decent back-ups.

    Pinky was our best at the position and I expect him to be again. So we are still shy one starter.

    ____________________________________________________________________________

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    Watched Boyd last nite for the second time this year. Have yet to be impressed by him...

  • Agree on unit cohesiveness, TCLP... prolly more important for O-line than any other unit.

    But disagree that Greco and Lauvao are of the quality we need at OG. Lauvao is fine for the run, but not pass protection. Greco is more balanced, but excels at neither. Either make decent back-ups.

    Pinky was our best at the position and I expect him to be again. So we are still shy one starter.

    ____________________________________________________________________________

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    Watched Boyd last nite for the second time this year. Have yet to be impressed by him...

    RichiswhereR Richiswhere wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    Watched Boyd last nite for the second time this year. Have yet to be impressed by him...

    First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

  • @tour2ma said:

    Meanwhile back at the thread...

    Watched Boyd last nite for the second time this year. Have yet to be impressed by him...

    First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @richiswhere said:

    First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

  • @richiswhere said:

    First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @thenew23 said:

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

    I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

    Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

  • @thenew23 said:

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

    I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

    Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #52

    @jafbf said:

    I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

    Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

    Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

    And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

    @tour2ma said:

    I'm still waiting to see "the one" this college season. Hundley is the UCLA QB.... I haven't seen him yet. So maybe he's the one.

    Have seen Boyd twice this year, and was not impressed either time. And I'm very confused by his run stats in a read option offense.

    Have seen Bridgewater once.. and was not impressed. Plus he looks too fragile for the NFL.... the dude is a friggin' stick figure.

    And I just think Mazel is poison...

    Of all I have seen, I like McCarron. He has that game manager look that you want opposite a dominant defense over any swashbuckler. And if AJ was our man then we could do the trade down thing.

  • @richiswhere said:

    First time I seen Boyd myself and wasn't that impressed either

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

    Cbus BrownieC Cbus Brownie wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @thenew23 said:

    I agree. Need to see more of him and Manziel before I would feel comfortable having them as a Brown. We aren't going to be bad enough to get Bridgewater, so who we DO get will be interesting.

    Brett Hundley is an interesting prospect. Wish I could actually watch any of their games...

    An interesting one tonight on ESPN if you're interested, Derek Carr and Fresno St. Carr looks legit.

    Manziel is completely out ofthe question. Hundley is actually in play, I watched him vs Nebraska last week. Aside from Hundley, Bridgewater is the only other QB I've seen that's a possibility - and I'm not real high on either of them.

  • @jafbf said:

    I'm not so sure about Bridgewater either, he just looks fragile to me.

    Could be we pick up a FA QB, I just don't know if any worthwhile ones will be available.

    Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

    And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

    @tour2ma said:

    I'm still waiting to see "the one" this college season. Hundley is the UCLA QB.... I haven't seen him yet. So maybe he's the one.

    Have seen Boyd twice this year, and was not impressed either time. And I'm very confused by his run stats in a read option offense.

    Have seen Bridgewater once.. and was not impressed. Plus he looks too fragile for the NFL.... the dude is a friggin' stick figure.

    And I just think Mazel is poison...

    Of all I have seen, I like McCarron. He has that game manager look that you want opposite a dominant defense over any swashbuckler. And if AJ was our man then we could do the trade down thing.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @tour2ma said:

    Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

    And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

    I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA.

    Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #55

    I just hope our FO realizes we don't HAVE to use our top pick on a QB. We can use our 2nd 1st rounder, or even a 2nd or 3rd on a guy like McCarron or Carr.

  • @miktoxic said:

    never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

    We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

    Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

    Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

    ^^I agree.^^

    Im not high on any of the qb's this year none are 1st rd. top 5 talent IMO.

    I would keep an eye on marcus mariota though from Oregon. As of now I would be giving him a hard look in the 3rd, but don't see chip kelly letting him slide past the second... especially the way vick played last nite.

    The kid has speed, great arm, athleticism, and seems to make some good decisions. If he can run that style of offense at Oregon he should be able to make the transition to the pro game. One down side is he is young.

    And that's all hinging on whether he declares for the draft or not.

    Given the weak qb class he just might.

  • @miktoxic said:

    never said first pick. i don't care what order they come in BUT can we for once pick a selection for need over best available player?

    We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

    Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    We have always picked for need over BPA. Who are you kidding?

    Taking a 5th round CB in the third round is not picking BPA.

    that's a joke right?

    cuz after signing LBs and DEs all off season we pick another DE?

    GTFO.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Only active QB I can see a way to is Cousins. There's going to be a QB controversy in WSH before too long. Not positive we should go there, but if the price was right...

    And on Bridgewater, I get the same impression...

    I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA.

    Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @jafbf said:

    I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA. Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

    Not a Cam Newton fan... He proved me wrong his rookie year, but not his sophmore. We're in the tie breaker season.

    @thenew23 said:

    I just hope our FO realizes we don't HAVE to use our top pick on a QB. We can use our 2nd 1st rounder, or even a 2nd or 3rd on a guy like McCarron or Carr.

    Don't know Carr, but a game managing QB like McCarron is just what is called for opposite a staunch D. And think of the picks we;d amass trading down... 🥷

    My personal darkhorse was MSU's Tyler Russell, but he's been dinged (concussion) and we definitely won't be shopping in the latter rounds for a project QB.

  • @jafbf said:

    I think I saw somewhere that Cam Newton will be a FA. Not sure if he's worth it or will not be tagged "Franchise Player", but there is the Chud connection.

    Not a Cam Newton fan... He proved me wrong his rookie year, but not his sophmore. We're in the tie breaker season.

    @thenew23 said:

    I just hope our FO realizes we don't HAVE to use our top pick on a QB. We can use our 2nd 1st rounder, or even a 2nd or 3rd on a guy like McCarron or Carr.

    Don't know Carr, but a game managing QB like McCarron is just what is called for opposite a staunch D. And think of the picks we;d amass trading down... 🥷

    My personal darkhorse was MSU's Tyler Russell, but he's been dinged (concussion) and we definitely won't be shopping in the latter rounds for a project QB.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @tour2ma said:

    Not a Cam Newton fan... He proved me wrong his rookie year, but not his sophmore. We're in the tie breaker season.

    Don't know Carr, but a game managing QB like McCarron is just what is called for opposite a staunch D. And think of the picks we;d amass trading down... 🥷

    My personal darkhorse was MSU's Tyler Russell, but he's been dinged (concussion) and we definitely won't be shopping in the latter rounds for a project QB.

    No, not really a Cam fan.

    Just looking at possible options the FO may be looking at to kickstart winning with a veteran/experienced QB - specifically the Chud/Newton connection.

  • There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

    You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

    S Shep wrote on last edited by
    #60

    It's shaping up to be one of the better QB drafts of recent past. Tons better than last year and it turns out two starters came out of 2013. And they both already look the part.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

    You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

  • It's shaping up to be one of the better QB drafts of recent past. Tons better than last year and it turns out two starters came out of 2013. And they both already look the part.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    There isn't one! Bridgewater, Boyd, Manziel, etc are not the answer. We need an Andrew Luck type of guy that simply isn't in this upcoming draft.

    You can beat the strategy of the trade to death, everyone gets it! But it doesn't work without the right guy at the end of this!!

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @shep said:

    It's shaping up to be one of the better QB drafts of recent past. Tons better than last year and it turns out two starters came out of 2013. And they both already look the part.

    you're funny.