Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Barber Shop Talk
  3. Wine

Wine

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Barber Shop Talk
9 Posts 7 Posters 791 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 9k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #1

    Ok, I like wine, not whine.

    That said, I wanted to start a thread on the topic. Wine is a wonderful liquid. It's the first alcoholic beverage as far as I can tell, though various ciders might give it a run for the money. They had to have evolved before brewed or distilled beverages.

    I want to talk about a every day drinker.

    I love Alomos, Malbec. The Malbec grape is great. It is one of the grapes allowed in a Bordeaux, so it's is a solid grape.

    The Alomos is imported from Argentina, which has become a major player in wine production over the last 25 years. The climate is ideal for growing this grape. It is now to the point if someone mentions Malbec, it is answered Argentina.

    The Alomos has a nice velvety texture and deep red color.. The nose is a strong berry....cherry, blueberry, plumb, and hints of greenpepper and violet at the far nose.

    It is a fine tasting wine. Bold flavor with some tannis, but not overpowering. It has a balance, but you could age this wine for several years to give it more balance.

    Here is the kicker.....you can drink this every day. At my local liquor store, one of the biggest in town, it sells for $9.99 a bottle. At Costco, it sells for $7.99 a bottle!

    I don't know the Parker rating, but I give it a solid 85, and at $8 a bottle, that is some fine wine for a bargain price.

    Give it a try. I think you will like it. Good wine doesn't have to cost a fortune....

    If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • DieHardBrownsFan DieHardBrownsFanD Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Collaborator Posting Machine First Post One Month Later Week One Done One Year In
      • 28k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
      #2

      MD 20 20 was my wine of choice in the late 60's. I evolved into TJ Swan in the early 70's.

      "You planning on having a long relationship with that glass or are you going to drink it? Drink up, man. Maybe we can get another.” - Janis Joplin, 1970.
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • VaporTrail VaporTrailV Dedicated Reacting Well Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 6k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Just got Velvet Devil Merlot, not bad for $13

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • miktoxic miktoxicM
          • 13k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
          #4

          my local wine purveyor buys cases of tinsdale which is a califonia label. it comes in merlot, cab, basically all reds.

          love the 'sweet red' chilled. i can get a case for $60. i do love a good glass of wine but am not the collector. (worked at a liquor store right out of the army and know up and down every type of grape and know the difference between a bordeaux and a italian chianti). all are named for the regions in which the grapes were grown. my problem is i can finish a small bottle in 20 mins and then chnage up to the hard stuff,......booze. used to deliver cases of 80 latour to the big wigs down on wall street.

          BUT it is a good change from the malt and barley family. plus a glass in the tomato sauce while cooking gives it a nice finish.

          you DO know how to make a nice sauce, correct? or do they call it gravy like half the brooklynites do?

          ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
            • 57k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Why hasn't Hoorta chimed in on this thread. He is our wine expert.

            hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • miktoxicM miktoxic

              my local wine purveyor buys cases of tinsdale which is a califonia label. it comes in merlot, cab, basically all reds.

              love the 'sweet red' chilled. i can get a case for $60. i do love a good glass of wine but am not the collector. (worked at a liquor store right out of the army and know up and down every type of grape and know the difference between a bordeaux and a italian chianti). all are named for the regions in which the grapes were grown. my problem is i can finish a small bottle in 20 mins and then chnage up to the hard stuff,......booze. used to deliver cases of 80 latour to the big wigs down on wall street.

              BUT it is a good change from the malt and barley family. plus a glass in the tomato sauce while cooking gives it a nice finish.

              you DO know how to make a nice sauce, correct? or do they call it gravy like half the brooklynites do?

              ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 9k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
              #6

              @miktoxic said:

              my local wine purveyor buys cases of tinsdale which is a califonia label. it comes in merlot, cab, basically all reds.

              love the 'sweet red' chilled. i can get a case for $60. i do love a good glass of wine but am not the collector. (worked at a liquor store right out of the army and know up and down every type of grape and know the difference between a bordeaux and a italian chianti). all are named for the regions in which the grapes were grown. my problem is i can finish a small bottle in 20 mins and then chnage up to the hard stuff,......booze. used to deliver cases of 80 latour to the big wigs down on wall street.

              BUT it is a good change from the malt and barley family. plus a glass in the tomato sauce while cooking gives it a nice finish.

              you DO know how to make a nice sauce, correct? or do they call it gravy like half the brooklynites do?

              I don't live in Brooklyn....I live in Tennessee.

              I like to think I can make a sauce.....or a gravy as it is here in the south.

              I have taken two cooking vacations....one in France, one in New Orleans, a week each.......my electives were to work with the Saucier . Any idiot from the South knows the sausage gravy makes the biscuits. It never can and never will work the other way. I figured it worked that way with pretty much any dish. Get the sauce....err, gravy right and everything else works.

              Learn the 5 Mother Sauces, and you can alter them to make anything....

              Bachemel

              Hollandise

              Veloute

              Tomato

              Espasnole

              Add in a white sauce to smother biscuits or chicken fried steaks and you have it covered.

              But....everything works off of those 5......errr....6....I say six....in time a southern white will become a Mother Sauce

              If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
              koalabazookaK 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ballpeenB ballpeen

                @miktoxic said:

                my local wine purveyor buys cases of tinsdale which is a califonia label. it comes in merlot, cab, basically all reds.

                love the 'sweet red' chilled. i can get a case for $60. i do love a good glass of wine but am not the collector. (worked at a liquor store right out of the army and know up and down every type of grape and know the difference between a bordeaux and a italian chianti). all are named for the regions in which the grapes were grown. my problem is i can finish a small bottle in 20 mins and then chnage up to the hard stuff,......booze. used to deliver cases of 80 latour to the big wigs down on wall street.

                BUT it is a good change from the malt and barley family. plus a glass in the tomato sauce while cooking gives it a nice finish.

                you DO know how to make a nice sauce, correct? or do they call it gravy like half the brooklynites do?

                I don't live in Brooklyn....I live in Tennessee.

                I like to think I can make a sauce.....or a gravy as it is here in the south.

                I have taken two cooking vacations....one in France, one in New Orleans, a week each.......my electives were to work with the Saucier . Any idiot from the South knows the sausage gravy makes the biscuits. It never can and never will work the other way. I figured it worked that way with pretty much any dish. Get the sauce....err, gravy right and everything else works.

                Learn the 5 Mother Sauces, and you can alter them to make anything....

                Bachemel

                Hollandise

                Veloute

                Tomato

                Espasnole

                Add in a white sauce to smother biscuits or chicken fried steaks and you have it covered.

                But....everything works off of those 5......errr....6....I say six....in time a southern white will become a Mother Sauce

                koalabazooka koalabazookaK
                • 535 Posts
                • 5 Reputation
                koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @ballpeen said:

                I don't live in Brooklyn....I live in Tennessee.

                ubhtbq.jpg

                Fantasy League Updates Weak SexStarted by Zombo, Today, 09:10 AM @slowburn said:okay, bazooka, you win. r u fucking happy now? u got the last word. btw, your avatar and board name really grate my nerves for some reason.. http://thumbpress.com/best-of-surprised-koala-bear-meme-25-pics/
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • The GipperT The Gipper

                  Why hasn't Hoorta chimed in on this thread. He is our wine expert.

                  hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 20k Posts
                  • 5k Reputation
                  hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
                  #8

                  @the-gipper said:

                  Why hasn't Hoorta chimed in on this thread. He is our wine expert.

                  Mainly because I rarely venture over here. 🙂 I'll give Russ props though- he knows his stuff. Ditto on Argentinian Malbecs. Currently they're the price\quality leader in the clubhouse. Almost can't go wrong picking one. Graffigna, Intimo, Alamos,Catena- all very good.

                  Lately I've been swilling through Castle Rock Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington @ $9 a bottle, and Josh Cabernet Napa Valley that's on Ohio post off at $12. Unfortunately developed a taste recently for tawny ports- the real stuff from Portugal, accept no Australian or US imitations. Morgado 10 year from Trader Joe's isn't bad @ $15. The name brand 10 years Taylor or Graham run in the $35 range, and are marginally better. Graham's 20 year is fabulous- with a price tag to match $60.

                  I love good Bordeaux from France- sadly the classed Growth wines from there have escalated to insanely stratospheric levels. The last great Bordeaux I put in my cellar was the 1990 Chateau Margaux & 1998 Pavie (I love Pavie) @ $100 per, and I thought at the time I was getting robbed. Little did I know. The lesser wines (2007 or 2009 vintages) can still be found in the $10-20 range, but the great stuff- yikes. I'll show you how insane it's gotten. I bought a case of 1982 Chateau Pavie and a bottle of Mouton-Rothschild back in the 80s for $144 and $ 42 respectively. The per bottle price of those wines in the 2009 vintage (also a great year) is $300+ and $1,500+. Sort of out of my price range. 🙁

                  The craziest thing is the Bordeaux market is upside down- you can actually buy at auction ready to drink wines from the 80s and early 90s for less than the current releases- though they're still not cheap by any means.

                  And I'd be remiss if i didn't mention my favorite wine when I'm in an expansive mood- Clio- it's a Spanish wine from the Jumilla region made from French grapes (Mourvedre) in an Australian style- in the $50 range, (& the only wine I'll spend that kind of money on anymore) I'm taking a couple bottles with me to KC this weekend to share with my wine loving pal- that and a bottle of 1992 Fonseca Vintage porto. If you want a less expensive introduction to the Jumilla region- look for Domain Juan Gil- it's Clio Lite. 🙂

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                    • 57k Posts
                    • 4k Reputation
                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Good stuff Larry. I usually prefer to drink wine, but at the tailgates I guess I have it in my mind that it is obligatory to drink beer. Also I drink it to control the alcohol intake. Two beers and a shot of orange shit is all I really want to handle as I drive home to see the games. If I started drinking the wine I might go overboard. I have preferred always to be the one putting people in jail for drinking and driving....so I don't want to be on the other end.

                    Also, I have at best a slither of your knowledge on the subject. Next time though I may have to have just a taste of what you bring.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply

                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                    Register Login
                    Reply
                    • Reply as topic
                    Log in to reply
                    • Oldest to Newest
                    • Newest to Oldest
                    • Most Votes


                    Theme
                    • System
                    • Light
                    • Dark
                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                    • First post
                      Last post
                    0
                    • Forums
                    • Recent
                    • Popular
                    • Users
                    • Donate