Skip to content

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

The Browns Board
992 69 28.1k
  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by

    I can't wait until next October so we can talk about the 2015 draft.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by

    I can't wait until next year when the draft isn't the highlight of a Browns football year.

  • I can't wait until next October so we can talk about the 2015 draft.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I can't wait until next October so we can talk about the 2015 draft.

    and all the good QB prospects out there cuz the one we traded picks for, moved up to get in 2014 is a bust.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    calfoxwc, on 28 Nov 2013 - 09:23 AM, said:

    The Browns will draft Bortles, Carr, or Garoppolo.

    Take it to the bank.

    Unless they draft Manziel or Hundley or McCarron or... Tour

    *************************************

    Well, I forgot McCarron.

    But the Browns won't draft Manziel. Not a chance. Face it, they

    can't take the chance.

    And Hundley... he amazing, but I don't see him as a sure fire

    NFL read defenses great guy.

    But if Chud and co. draft him, they will do it knowing he can.

    It's all so complicated this year.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    Even with Carr's performance today thus far, I still don't want him.

    For the reasons I mentioned before, but also because I just get a weird vibe from him. I try to picture "Derek Carr, Super Bowl MVP, HOF career, Franchise QB" and I can't. All I keep seeing is another duo of brothers that became mediocre NFL QB's like the McCown's, the Huard's, the Detmer's and the Hasselbeck's.

  • Even with Carr's performance today thus far, I still don't want him.

    For the reasons I mentioned before, but also because I just get a weird vibe from him. I try to picture "Derek Carr, Super Bowl MVP, HOF career, Franchise QB" and I can't. All I keep seeing is another duo of brothers that became mediocre NFL QB's like the McCown's, the Huard's, the Detmer's and the Hasselbeck's.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Even with Carr's performance today thus far, I still don't want him.

    For the reasons I mentioned before, but also because I just get a weird vibe from him. I try to picture "Derek Carr, Super Bowl MVP, HOF career, Franchise QB" and I can't. All I keep seeing is another duo of brothers that became mediocre NFL QB's like the McCown's, the Huard's, the Detmer's and the Hasselbeck's.

    he's lighting it up for sure today, but really, who have they played?

  • A Adoug319 wrote on last edited by

    Carr

    22/29, 354 yds, 6tds 0ints

    In the first half....

    Fales

    27/32, 451 yds, 6 Tds 0ints

    In the first half...

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    might as well scratch mettenberger off anyone's QB list, his knee is shot.

    BUT

    add landry to the WR list.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by

    Anybody no the last time a Browns QB played a whole season? We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

    As far as drafting QB's.......Aaron Murray, and he'll probably fall in the draft due to his injury. I love his fire. If Aaron Rogers and Phillip Rivers had a baby, it would grow up to be Aaron Murray. By far, the most NFL ready QB...he would improve the Browns today.

  • Anybody no the last time a Browns QB played a whole season? We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

    As far as drafting QB's.......Aaron Murray, and he'll probably fall in the draft due to his injury. I love his fire. If Aaron Rogers and Phillip Rivers had a baby, it would grow up to be Aaron Murray. By far, the most NFL ready QB...he would improve the Browns today.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Anybody no the last time a Browns QB played a whole season? We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

    2007 Anderson relieved Frye in the first game and started the next 15. One year Couch started them all ... 2001 I believe.

    Alex Tanney could be the next name on here:

    ScreenShot2013-10-23at1.12.30PM_original

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    a lot of what i saw of fales and carr yesterday i liked (great passing skills) BUT like i said who have they played. both defenses looked like JV squads in HS.

    i think a lot of McCarron's heisman hopes and nfl scouting reports are going to be upgraded or downgraded in the 'iron bowl' today.

    mariota looked good despite a couple of bonehead ints, one into triple coverage.

    i enjoyed watching the kid (rudduck) from iowa yesterday and seeing bo pelini being led to the chopping block afterwards. dudes a dick.

  • S Shep wrote on last edited by

    I'm all for talking deep dish on QB (Garroppolo, Fales)... but the Browns won't be looking for their guy in Colt McFrye area again. They'll get their guy near the top of the draft. Just not sure which one.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Garoppolo is not a big name? How many letters do you need?

    His release is very quick to be sure, but really did not see arm strength in vid #1... even in the one red zone slant he threw. After the fifth, wide-open streak he completed for a TD, I started losing interest.

    Easy to agree there since with one possible exception I do not see an instant starter at QB in the draft. When I evaluate the heads in this QB draft, I only see one that is currently NFL calibre... McCarron. The kid makes reads...

    Since I only get to see heads on the field, it is possible that others, including Hundley, have one, but file that under facts not in evidence for now.

    I have a real hard time drafting a QB "high" that I do not believe is ready to start. Where does high end? Somewhere nearing the end of round one.

    Unless they draft Manziel or Hundley or McCarron or...

    I believe Garopollo has plenty enough arm strength, but I quickly grew disinterested for the same reason you did.

    I watched a couple videos of Garopollo and thought "This guy is easily the best prospect in the draft". But then I watched a couple more videos, and then a couple more. I realized that his success comes more from beating up on the lack of speed and talent in the FCS level corners.

    His go to move is a pump fake to a play side slant, and then hitting the backside receiver on a 9 route against man coverage. In every video I've watched, that play has been present once or twice. In the NFL, he's not going to have that gift wrapped for him.

    Another concern is that I haven't seen him throw an out. A QB who can throw a perfect out route can throw just about any other pass needed. It's a timing route that, by the time the QB reaches his drop back, will have to travel about 25 yards and be on point. Of the "short" passes, it's actually a decently long pass.

    I still think he's a very interesting prospect. He has nearly everything you'd want, but I think he may be more suited for an offense like KC's. A spread offense to widen the field with WCO-like short routes intended to set up the run.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Another concern is that I haven't seen him throw an out. A QB who can throw a perfect out route can throw just about any other pass needed. It's a timing route that, by the time the QB reaches his drop back, will have to travel about 25 yards and be on point. Of the "short" passes, it's actually a decently long pass.

    Agree on the "out"... and it raises one of my favorite NFL pet peeves, the hash marks. There's no real "wide-side" in the NFL now, but there used to be.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

    But odds are that this year we would have stopped at 2, if not for injury. Then 3, if not for...

    More changes due to injury than total suckage feels like progress.

    @miktoxic said:

    mariota looked good despite a couple of bonehead ints, one into triple coverage.

    Bonehead and good do not belong in the same analysis. 😉

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Another concern is that I haven't seen him throw an out. A QB who can throw a perfect out route can throw just about any other pass needed. It's a timing route that, by the time the QB reaches his drop back, will have to travel about 25 yards and be on point. Of the "short" passes, it's actually a decently long pass.

    Agree on the "out"... and it raises one of my favorite NFL pet peeves, the hash marks. There's no real "wide-side" in the NFL now, but there used to be.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    We gotta be the only team in the league that has 3-4 different starting QB's every single year?

    But odds are that this year we would have stopped at 2, if not for injury. Then 3, if not for...

    More changes due to injury than total suckage feels like progress.

    @miktoxic said:

    mariota looked good despite a couple of bonehead ints, one into triple coverage.

    Bonehead and good do not belong in the same analysis. 😉

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Agree on the "out"... and it raises one of my favorite NFL pet peeves, the hash marks. There's no real "wide-side" in the NFL now, but there used to be.

    But odds are that this year we would have stopped at 2, if not for injury. Then 3, if not for...

    More changes due to injury than total suckage feels like progress.

    Bonehead and good do not belong in the same analysis. 😉

    c'mon man!

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

  • Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    Well then let's hope we can suck bad enough to surge behind the Vikings.....

    WSS

  • Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    god that would suck more than suck.

  • H Hunt Daddy wrote on last edited by

    Mariota returning to Oregon. Whether you wanted him or not this isn't good. Will take a top QB off the board. Gonna be more of a dog fight now.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by

    I'm not enough of a college football fan or expert to know if this would suck for us or not but anything that has us passing on Manziel is good with me.

    I also would be surprised that we would go QB with the late first round pick. How many teams picking after us in the first round would really go with a QB? And by that same logic...anyone picking ahead of us in round two that need a QB would've already picked one in the first round.

  • Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    Current SI Mock draft has us taking Sammy Watkins from Clemson and then taking Taj Boyd also from Clemson with our 2nd first round pick.

    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/03/2014-nfl-mock-draft-teddy-bridgewater-anthony-barr/?eref=sihp

    I'm good with Watkins, but I don't want Boyd or any of these other running QBs in the 1st round. I'm for Hoyer as QB & take a guy in round 2 or 3 to learn from him. No one can deny that, even with only 2 games, this Browns' TEAM performed at a higher level with Hoyer in there. THAT isn't taught...Hoyer is a Leader, pure & simple.

    Mike