Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!
-
I've said it and I'll stand by it: The Bengals can't get to the next level because they have a limited quarterback who dreams of being Alex Smith, the "game manager" who actually DOES go 18 of 19 or 16 of 19 for 3 or 4 TDs and no INTs. To make it work, you have to be nearly perfect (Smith has 6 INTs, lowest in the NFL for full-time starters) AND have a phenomenal back and a terrific defense.
That said, when the playoffs come, your quarterback might have to carry you to some wins. Flacco was the hottest QB in the tourney last year so the 6th seed that stumbled in won it all. The Chiefs are best when they only throw 25 times or less... and that won't get it done against a Denver. Smith will have to put up 350 yards or so. I've seen him attack a defense for a half when it's needed, but I don't know if he can keep up with Manning (for example), and that's coming from a big Alex Smith fan.
-
I've said it and I'll stand by it: The Bengals can't get to the next level because they have a limited quarterback who dreams of being Alex Smith, the "game manager" who actually DOES go 18 of 19 or 16 of 19 for 3 or 4 TDs and no INTs. To make it work, you have to be nearly perfect (Smith has 6 INTs, lowest in the NFL for full-time starters) AND have a phenomenal back and a terrific defense.
That said, when the playoffs come, your quarterback might have to carry you to some wins. Flacco was the hottest QB in the tourney last year so the 6th seed that stumbled in won it all. The Chiefs are best when they only throw 25 times or less... and that won't get it done against a Denver. Smith will have to put up 350 yards or so. I've seen him attack a defense for a half when it's needed, but I don't know if he can keep up with Manning (for example), and that's coming from a big Alex Smith fan.
I've said it and I'll stand by it: The Bengals can't get to the next level because they have a limited quarterback who dreams of being Alex Smith, the "game manager" who actually DOES go 18 of 19 or 16 of 19 for 3 or 4 TDs and no INTs. To make it work, you have to be nearly perfect (Smith has 6 INTs, lowest in the NFL for full-time starters) AND have a phenomenal back and a terrific defense.
That said, when the playoffs come, your quarterback might have to carry you to some wins. Flacco was the hottest QB in the tourney last year so the 6th seed that stumbled in won it all. The Chiefs are best when they only throw 25 times or less... and that won't get it done against a Denver. Smith will have to put up 350 yards or so. I've seen him attack a defense for a half when it's needed, but I don't know if he can keep up with Manning (for example), and that's coming from a big Alex Smith fan.
I don't think Andy Dalton dreams of being Alex Smith, who has been to as many playoff games as he has ... two ... in five more years.
Dalton has thrown for more yards every year of his career than Smith has ever done once ... so I don't get the "game manager" comparison.
Smith is a game manager, Dalton is more of a risk-taker.
Zombo
-
BTW, the question keeps coming up: If this Browns brass could go back and redo the 2012 draft, would they take Ryan Tannehill at #4? The answer is: Duh. Yes. Just about anybody would. He's 25, he has 3,600 and 24 TDs, and his team is 8-6 on the verge of the playoffs after beating New England.
Yes, yes, and yes, the GMs who don't have great quarterbacks would say. Of course I'd take him. Banner would, Lombardi would, Chorv would, they all would. And they'd obviously be right.
Biggest leap for QBs usually happens in their third year... and Tannehill is already pretty damn good. But his ceiling is high with a big arm, great wheels, and high IQ (Academic Heisman Finalist). Browns ear-fucked themselves, overthought it. Should've taken Tannehill, then a WR, then Bernard Pierce, then the OL. They drafted like it was 1978.
BTW, the question keeps coming up: If this Browns brass could go back and redo the 2012 draft, would they take Ryan Tannehill at #4? The answer is: Duh. Yes. Just about anybody would. He's 25, he has 3,600 and 24 TDs, and his team is 8-6 on the verge of the playoffs after beating New England.
Yes, yes, and yes, the GMs who don't have great quarterbacks would say. Of course I'd take him. Banner would, Lombardi would, Chorv would, they all would. And they'd obviously be right.
Biggest leap for QBs usually happens in their third year... and Tannehill is already pretty damn good. But his ceiling is high with a big arm, great wheels, and high IQ (Academic Heisman Finalist). Browns ear-fucked themselves, overthought it. Should've taken Tannehill, then a WR, then Bernard Pierce, then the OL. They drafted like it was 1978.
They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:
Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE
and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.
-
BTW, the question keeps coming up: If this Browns brass could go back and redo the 2012 draft, would they take Ryan Tannehill at #4? The answer is: Duh. Yes. Just about anybody would. He's 25, he has 3,600 and 24 TDs, and his team is 8-6 on the verge of the playoffs after beating New England.
Yes, yes, and yes, the GMs who don't have great quarterbacks would say. Of course I'd take him. Banner would, Lombardi would, Chorv would, they all would. And they'd obviously be right.
Biggest leap for QBs usually happens in their third year... and Tannehill is already pretty damn good. But his ceiling is high with a big arm, great wheels, and high IQ (Academic Heisman Finalist). Browns ear-fucked themselves, overthought it. Should've taken Tannehill, then a WR, then Bernard Pierce, then the OL. They drafted like it was 1978.
They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:
Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE
and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.
They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:
Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE
and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.
If it's a pissing contest, they're best off going with my move. Trade back and take Stephon Gilmore at 10, take Reiff at 22, take Wilson in the 3rd.
-
They would not have had to do that. They would have been better off making the move that I had wanted:
Take another position at #22....be that an OT, OG, LB, DE
and take Nick Foles with our 2d round pick.
If it's a pissing contest, they're best off going with my move. Trade back and take Stephon Gilmore at 10, take Reiff at 22, take Wilson in the 3rd.
If it's a pissing contest, they're best off going with my move. Trade back and take Stephon Gilmore at 10, take Reiff at 22, take Wilson in the 3rd.
Well, your move sounds find....in hindsight. I had wanted Foles in foresight.
-
Or take Kuechly at 9, Reiff at 22, Alshon Jeffrey in rd2 and wilson in the third. If only...
-
If it's a pissing contest, they're best off going with my move. Trade back and take Stephon Gilmore at 10, take Reiff at 22, take Wilson in the 3rd.
Well, your move sounds find....in hindsight. I had wanted Foles in foresight.
Well, your move sounds find....in hindsight. I had wanted Foles in foresight.
And I had wanted Reiff and Wilson in foresight.
-
-
-
I really thought hard about making a foreskin joke.
Damn.
I did too.
Z
-- if it was Sunday night it would be a dandy too
-
Since my mind has already changed MANY times re QBs in the '14 draft, I'm refraining from further speculation until I see WHO is coming out, how they do in bowls, etc, etc. It's just too damned early to really predict anything yet.
Mike
-
Although it's meaningless, I like a bowl as an indicator of a player's ability to pick up a new scheme, and as such general football intelligence.
-
I really thought hard about making a foreskin joke.
Damn.
I am circumcized, so I don't have a foreskin.
(But that does not mean that on occasion my dick doesn't do my thinking for me)
Note: the above is demonstration why all y'all should leave the pecker jokes to us professionals.
-
-
This conversation has taken a turn.
-
-
It's more of a twoskin.
-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreskin
Guys I'm sorry, me included...that if you are circumcised the foreskin is what was removed. So no, there is no foreskin or twoskin lmao if you're circumcised. Great convo.
-
Agreed: It always seems like the lines playing in front of Montana, Rodgers, Brady, and Manning are good. No matter who the actual players are. Get it?
Like our line was just horrible and poor, plucky Charlie Frye was getting killed by his shitty line. Then Derek Anderson steps in... line suddenly not so shitty.
Weeden's getting killed and our pricey, highly-drafted line must be overrated. Then Brian Hoyer steps in and the line's just fine.
Guys, we're never gonna Superstar OL our way to a Super Bowl. Let it go. Reboot yourselves. The Browns could take this exact team and win 10 games with really good QB play. Then they could spend all those draft picks and f/a money to upgrade a few other spots and win 13 games.
Considering the Chiefs #1 overall pick has really struggled, let me list all their big offseason moves: Alex Smith. I'm done. They got Eric Barry back from injury, too. Okay, now I'm done. They went from 1-15 to 11-4 by adding Alex Smith.
There. Is. No. Other. Way. The Browns will be relevant if and when they have a top 10-12 quarterback, or one on his way there. Everything else is bullshit.
Moving right along...
Weeden's getting killed and our pricey, highly-drafted line must be overrated. Then Brian Hoyer steps in and the line's just fine.
Guys, we're never gonna Superstar OL our way to a Super Bowl. Let it go. Reboot yourselves. The Browns could take this exact team and win 10 games with really good QB play. Then they could spend all those draft picks and f/a money to upgrade a few other spots and win 13 games.
If you are right, why isn't Hoyer leading us to victory right now? Oh... that's right.. he got hurt. As did Campbell... As did Wheezy.
We had really good QB play. It.... Got.... Hurt.... Twice!
We don't need to "superstar OL" our way to a SB... but it would sure be nice to have an OL that can keep our eventual star QB healthy all the way to one.
I'm gonna miss being able to make fun of Weeden...
Some teams are bound to try to salvage him as a back up for a few more years, so you can ween yourself off of him.
... I'm refraining from further speculation until I see WHO is coming out, how they do in bowls, etc, etc. It's just too damned early to really predict anything yet.
Good idea... Will be reviewing and discussing bowl performances though...
-
Someone brought up Cyrus K., from Alabama. He would certainly be a boon for the O-line, if CLE drafted him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login