Skip to content

Brian Hoyer

The Browns Board
86 39 4.2k
  • I think next week you see Hoyer throwing to Gordon, Cameron, and Bess... with Lauvao at right guard. Maybe McGahee shakes off some rust.

    I really thought Greg Little was poised for a big year. He worked his ass off. He just can't separate... and he's back to dropping the ball. Bummer. But we're gonna be adding a lot of new faces in the offseason, a couple first round starters in the draft and a few with our 30 mill in cap space. You can count on a QB, WR, RB (Tate), maybe two OL, and a corner. All at the highest level. That's six guys, a couple in the draft and four free agents. We don't need to get any younger.

    Skrine REALLY shadows. He still sometimes doesn't make the play but he can cover. He's getting better and better. He'll be a terrific nickel next year when we add a starter opposite Haden.

  • I think next week you see Hoyer throwing to Gordon, Cameron, and Bess... with Lauvao at right guard. Maybe McGahee shakes off some rust.

    I really thought Greg Little was poised for a big year. He worked his ass off. He just can't separate... and he's back to dropping the ball. Bummer. But we're gonna be adding a lot of new faces in the offseason, a couple first round starters in the draft and a few with our 30 mill in cap space. You can count on a QB, WR, RB (Tate), maybe two OL, and a corner. All at the highest level. That's six guys, a couple in the draft and four free agents. We don't need to get any younger.

    Skrine REALLY shadows. He still sometimes doesn't make the play but he can cover. He's getting better and better. He'll be a terrific nickel next year when we add a starter opposite Haden.

    @shep said:

    I think next week you see Hoyer throwing to Gordon, Cameron, and Bess... with Lauvao at right guard. Maybe McGahee shakes off some rust.

    I really thought Greg Little was poised for a big year. He worked his ass off. He just can't separate... and he's back to dropping the ball. Bummer. But we're gonna be adding a lot of new faces in the offseason, a couple first round starters in the draft and a few with our 30 mill in cap space. You can count on a QB, WR, RB (Tate), maybe two OL, and a corner. All at the highest level. That's six guys, a couple in the draft and four free agents. We don't need to get any younger.

    Skrine REALLY shadows. He still sometimes doesn't make the play but he can cover. He's getting better and better. He'll be a terrific nickel next year when we add a starter opposite Haden.

    I also thought Little was going to be much improved this year with all the extra work he's put in.

    Little is better with Gordon in the mix, he (Little) just can be the #1.

    He caught some balls today, and I don't believe he had any drops (maybe a miss/bad pass).

  • I am elated because I got to see what this O might do with a heady QB rather than a thrower playing at being a QB... and I liked what I saw. I saw a QB who knew more about what as going to be available pre-snap than Wheezy ever has post-play. The game winner to Cam was exhibit A. I hope everyone who fell in love with Wheezy's arm was paying attention.

    A smart QB can go a long way toward compensating for a deficient arm, but no amount of arm can compensate for a deficient head.

    Hoyer's arm is good enough. He zipped several balls today including a couple 10-yd outs and a 15-yd square in. It's good enough to compete in this league ala Brian Sipe.

    But the BIG question is, "Is Hoyer the one? The one to take us to the mountain top?" Actually I still doubt it, but we'll see. This week the opposition gets a little stiffer.

    If it turns out that he's not the one, then at least we know the task ahead is to find a heady QB with a better arm... and not just another thrower.

  • He's OK, if you don't mind winning ...

    Zombo

    Agree with hoorta and Shep...

    Zombo said:

    He's OK, if you don't mind winning ...

    Fucking cracked me up, Z... perfect...

    @onkyoreceiver said:

    Do you people have ANY IDEA...

    Quoted as far as I read... If you want folks to take the time to bask in your wisdom: lay off the all caps screams, learn what a paragraph is, and keep your newly learned paragraphs short.

    @hempman said:

    Nope, he was just telling you reailty. Weeden will be back out there if they don't trade/cut him.

    I think we will see Wheezy again, too. Either:

    - After he sees how Hoyer QBs, what it takes to be a QB, he'll get another chance with all the tools in place to show whether or not he "gets it"; or

    - If Hoyer continues to endanger the "tank strategy"... I'm sure Wheezy can execute that plan...

    Actually I only believe one of the above...

    @fairhooker11 said:

    i say Weeden hope for a spring training invite by Houston Astros,,,,

    and work on his change up.....

    LOL... any prospects in their farm system?

  • Started replaying the game focussing on Hoyer's mechanics and I'm impressed.

    My loyal followers know my obsession with the "Wheezy wind-up"... and his, IMO, slow release. I'm happy to report no such issues with Hoyer.

    Brian makes a very economical, compact move to his throwing position. He takes the ball from a secure, two-handed ready position at the top of his number straight back and up to a position just behind and above the right shoulder and let's fly (often with a very nice, high, over-the-top throwing motion to clear the line). He'll reach back a bit further on longer throws, but not much.

    No ball patting... no wind up... no shit... so he's got that going for him.

  • if you don't see weeden play next week with his thumb healed...you know he is gone.

    how can you explain starting a 3rd stringer playing over the starter because of injury?

  • Says more about the #2 guy than the injured starter, mik...

    Just watched the postgame presser and Chud was non-committal about next week's starter.

  • Colt McCoy had a noodle arm. Hoyer has WAY more arm than that. He's not Weeden... but he's right there in the middle among NFL starters. There are like 8 or 9 guys with plus arms, only a couple with light arms now (shit, most of those are gone), and then everybody else.

    @shep said:

    Colt McCoy had a noodle arm. Hoyer has WAY more arm than that. He's not Weeden... but he's right there in the middle among NFL starters. There are like 8 or 9 guys with plus arms, only a couple with light arms now (shit, most of those are gone), and then everybody else.

    Shep- I suppose what I'm saying (I just watched with great delight Da Bears doing the Stiller beat down) Hoyer compared to the Pittsburgh Booger does not have that kind of arm- not even close. Not sure he's even in Cutler's class.

    Is that good enough for the long haul? Quick reads can make up for an average, or below average arm. We'll find out this coming Sunday when he faces a far better (and luckier) defense.

  • A rocket arm is more of a detriment when you can't control you're velocity like Weeden or Anderson. Firing bullets at dudes 10 yards away tends to create deflections, especially when the passes aren't accurate.

    I didn't see any problems with Hoyers arm last game but wasn't looking that closely. His pass to Gordon deep was a tiny bit underthrown, but he threw a fade route like I haven't seen from a Browns QB in I don't know how long.

  • hopefully hoyer and his wife have a healthy beautiful child.

    i was impressed, except for the turnovers, of course.

    still got us the W.

    i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

    if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

  • i say Weeden hope for a spring training invite by Houston Astros,,,,

    and work on his change up.....

    @fairhooker11 said:

    i say Weeden hope for a spring training invite by Houston Astros,,,,

    and work on his change up.....

    Beautiful!

  • hopefully hoyer and his wife have a healthy beautiful child.

    i was impressed, except for the turnovers, of course.

    still got us the W.

    i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

    if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

    @miktoxic said:

    hopefully hoyer and his wife have a healthy beautiful child.

    i was impressed, except for the turnovers, of course.

    still got us the W.

    i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

    if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

    Mathematically, though, that leaves someone wide open. It's just up to Hoyer to find him.

    Which was, I believe, Weeden's problem.

  • well i, unlike some on the board have no attachment to any player on this team except for thomas, mack, haden, ward, DQ, sheard, cameron and gordon.

    IMO everyone else is expendable.

    weeden can be the next to go that slow thinkin ginger.

  • A rocket arm is more of a detriment when you can't control you're velocity like Weeden or Anderson. Firing bullets at dudes 10 yards away tends to create deflections, especially when the passes aren't accurate.

    I didn't see any problems with Hoyers arm last game but wasn't looking that closely. His pass to Gordon deep was a tiny bit underthrown, but he threw a fade route like I haven't seen from a Browns QB in I don't know how long.

    @kingcob said:

    A rocket arm is more of a detriment when you can't control you're velocity like Weeden or Anderson. Firing bullets at dudes 10 yards away tends to create deflections, especially when the passes aren't accurate.

    I didn't see any problems with Hoyers arm last game but wasn't looking that closely. His pass to Gordon deep was a tiny bit underthrown, but he threw a fade route like I haven't seen from a Browns QB in I don't know how long.

    I just re-watched some of the highlights- and Hoyer is better than my first impression.

    I have to give you a BIG ^+1 on that observation- if you don't have a change up to go along with the fastball, you're worthless in the NFL DA is Exhibit 1A in that regard- and Weeden is probably 1B.

    OTOH, besides the two ints (one of which was a blind shot if you watched the field level replay) tossing up Foley floaters isn't the recipe for long term success either. 🙂

    @miktoxic said:

    i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

    if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

    I fear the Bungles are on the Lucky Train to the SB. Need a fumble recovery for the winning TD? Done. They do have talent, but as I've always said- "I'd rather be lucky than good."

  • Hoyer had good and bad.

    I saw a few throws that were behind the Receivers, but considering he hasn't really played or practiced since Pre-Season (and then with third stringers), I think he did okay.

    Should be interesting to see how he improves with extra practice and play if he's given the chance - no telling what our FO and Coaches will do, or if Gordon/Little are even going to be here next week.

    @jafbf said:

    Hoyer had good and bad.

    I saw a few throws that were behind the Receivers, but considering he hasn't really played or practiced since Pre-Season (and then with third stringers), I think he did okay.

    Should be interesting to see how he improves with extra practice and play if he's given the chance - no telling what our FO and Coaches will do, or if Gordon/Little are even going to be here next week.

    A few of those along the sideline were thrown there for a reason. It was inside zone coverage and the QB is supposed to put it on the outside shoulder. The receiver has to see the coverage and know where the QB is going to put the ball, so some of those "behind" the receiver that most of us see will be graded as a perfect pass by Turner and Chud when they start grading the players when watching the film.

  • @kingcob said:

    A rocket arm is more of a detriment when you can't control you're velocity like Weeden or Anderson. Firing bullets at dudes 10 yards away tends to create deflections, especially when the passes aren't accurate.

    I didn't see any problems with Hoyers arm last game but wasn't looking that closely. His pass to Gordon deep was a tiny bit underthrown, but he threw a fade route like I haven't seen from a Browns QB in I don't know how long.

    I just re-watched some of the highlights- and Hoyer is better than my first impression.

    I have to give you a BIG ^+1 on that observation- if you don't have a change up to go along with the fastball, you're worthless in the NFL DA is Exhibit 1A in that regard- and Weeden is probably 1B.

    OTOH, besides the two ints (one of which was a blind shot if you watched the field level replay) tossing up Foley floaters isn't the recipe for long term success either. 🙂

    @miktoxic said:

    i fear that now there is tape on him and our effectiveness with him behind center they will double gordon and cameron and shut down his favorite options.

    if they beat the bengals with whatever QB starting, it'lll mean something.....BIG.

    I fear the Bungles are on the Lucky Train to the SB. Need a fumble recovery for the winning TD? Done. They do have talent, but as I've always said- "I'd rather be lucky than good."

    @hoorta said:

    I fear the Bungles are on the Lucky Train to the SB. Need a fumble recovery for the winning TD? Done. They do have talent, but as I've always said- "I'd rather be lucky than good."

    I believe that lucky train will be derailed for at least a week when we kick their ass next week. Everybody is going to be on a high. We roll them.

  • Don't get too worked up boys. Next season both of them are on the scrap heap (to paraphrase Dean Wormer like shit through a goose) and two first round picks and a lengthy hold out later we will be starting the 2014 version of Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith.

    WSS

  • Make that Vince Young......

    WSS

  • Hoyer showed more poise and brains than Weeden, and I think he did enough to deserve the start vs. the Bengals. It's hard to say how Weeden would've done, we saw some good play out of him in the preseason, so he might've played just as well as Hoyer vs. Minnesota. I was pretty disturbed by the three interceptions, as they looked like he was passing to the Vikings defenders for at least two of them. Still, a win is a win, and that's enough to see how far the Browns can go with Hoyer.

    Please, though, I hope the Browns do NOT trade Gordon. That would be a huge mistake. Just hire a personal assistant for him who keeps him away from the drugs.

  • I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 different QBs on our roster next year. But I suspect we'll have a 1st Round as starter, Hoyer as backup and some scrub as 3rd string.