Browns QBs playoff records
-
The question came up elsewhere, so I am listing here the playoff records of a Browns Quarterbacks:
Otto Graham 9 wins 3 losses
Milt Plum 0 wins 2 losses
Frank Ryan 1 win 2 losses
Bill Nelsen 2 wins 3 losses
Mike Phipps 0 wins 1 loss
Brian Sipe 0 wins 1 loss
Paul McDonald 0 wins 1 loss
Bernie Kosar 3 wins 4 losses
Mike Pagel 0 wins 1 loss
Vinnie Testaverde 1 win 1 loss
Kelly Holcomb 0 wins 1 loss
It's just amazing how the talking heads never ever mention Otto Graham when talking QB history. His records stand head and shoulders above so many of the so called great ones and yet no mention.
It's just amazing how the talking heads never ever mention Otto Graham when talking QB history. His records stand head and shoulders above so many of the so called great ones and yet no mention.
Yeah that annoys the fuck out of me. It's like football didn't start till Super Bowl 1.
-
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
-
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
Top QBs from the 80s? Yes, #1 you have to include Montana. And the class of '83 ..Elway/Marino/Kelly got its start surely in the 80s...though they did a lot of their work in the 90s. (Kelly was top Gun in the USFL),
But, for the 80s there are others that cannot be forgotten: Jim Plunkett won 2 SBs. Joe Theisman won one and lost one.
Danny White made a lot of playoff appearances in the 80s. As did Dan Fouts. And Esiason. And don't forget Jim McMahon.
-
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
Top QBs from the 80s? Yes, #1 you have to include Montana. And the class of '83 ..Elway/Marino/Kelly got its start surely in the 80s...though they did a lot of their work in the 90s. (Kelly was top Gun in the USFL),
But, for the 80s there are others that cannot be forgotten: Jim Plunkett won 2 SBs. Joe Theisman won one and lost one.
Danny White made a lot of playoff appearances in the 80s. As did Dan Fouts. And Esiason. And don't forget Jim McMahon.
Top QBs from the 80s? Yes, #1 you have to include Montana. And the class of '83 ..Elway/Marino/Kelly got its start surely in the 80s...though they did a lot of their work in the 90s. (Kelly was top Gun in the USFL),
But, for the 80s there are others that cannot be forgotten: Jim Plunkett won 2 SBs. Joe Theisman won one and lost one.
Danny White made a lot of playoff appearances in the 80s. As did Dan Fouts. And Esiason. And don't forget Jim McMahon.
Sorry Gipper, I was just focusing on the AFC & didn't mention it in my post. Yeah, should have mentioned Fouts for sure.
-
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
Both Esiason and Andersons number are some what similar but one did it in the 70's and the other in the 80's and 90's. No one ever mentions Esiason and the HoF together yet look at any list of top NFL player not in the HoF and you will almost always see Ken Anderson name there.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
You forget the Esiason was running the hurry up (sugar huddle) before Kelly.
-
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
Both Esiason and Andersons number are some what similar but one did it in the 70's and the other in the 80's and 90's. No one ever mentions Esiason and the HoF together yet look at any list of top NFL player not in the HoF and you will almost always see Ken Anderson name there.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
You forget the Esiason was running the hurry up (sugar huddle) before Kelly.
Both Esiason and Andersons number are some what similar but one did it in the 70's and the other in the 80's and 90's. No one ever mentions Esiason and the HoF together yet look at any list of top NFL player not in the HoF and you will almost always see Ken Anderson name there.
You forget the Esiason was running the hurry up (sugar huddle) before Kelly.
In the NFL...but Kelly was doing it in the USFL a lot when he played there.
None of Kelly's USFL numbers are counted in his NFL stats. Note this:
Combined attempts: 5933 he would from 19th to 11th on the all time list
Combined completions: 3604 he would go from 22d to 12th on the all time list
Combined yards: 45,309 He would go from 18th to 10th on the all time list
Combined TDs: 320 he would go from 20th to 7th on the all time list
Combined Ints: 220 he would go from 38th to 17th on the all time list.
A few others would have their stats increased as well: Steve Young, Brian Sipe, but no one as dramatic as Kelly I don't think.
-
So the best qb the Bengals have ever had was boomer who more or less failed to make the ranks of great 80s QBs.
Both Esiason and Andersons number are some what similar but one did it in the 70's and the other in the 80's and 90's. No one ever mentions Esiason and the HoF together yet look at any list of top NFL player not in the HoF and you will almost always see Ken Anderson name there.
It's funny you mention that, as I always thought Boomer didn't get enough credit. Top AFC QBs in the 80s included Marino, Elway, Moon, Kosar, & Kelly. If it wasn't for Montana's last minute SB drive, Boomer wins a Super Bowl (their lone TD vs the 49ers was scored on a kickoff return I think).
I contend Kelly was over rated, but he's in Canton. They ran that no-huddle, and had a real good defense. I think he's in because of 4 straight Super Bowls, an unprecedented feat in the modern era.
You forget the Esiason was running the hurry up (sugar huddle) before Kelly.
Both Esiason and Andersons number are some what similar but one did it in the 70's and the other in the 80's and 90's. No one ever mentions Esiason and the HoF together yet look at any list of top NFL player not in the HoF and you will almost always see Ken Anderson name there.
You forget the Esiason was running the hurry up (sugar huddle) before Kelly.
I didn't forget that at all. The Bengals used that sugar huddle less than the Bills, as they had Kinnebrew to pound the scrimmage, and James Brooks as the scat back.
The Bills were in constant hurry up unless they had a huge lead if I recall.
-
The question came up elsewhere, so I am listing here the playoff records of a Browns Quarterbacks:
Otto Graham 9 wins 3 losses
Milt Plum 0 wins 2 losses
Frank Ryan 1 win 2 losses
Bill Nelsen 2 wins 3 losses
Mike Phipps 0 wins 1 loss
Brian Sipe 0 wins 1 loss
Paul McDonald 0 wins 1 loss
Bernie Kosar 3 wins 4 losses
Mike Pagel 0 wins 1 loss
Vinnie Testaverde 1 win 1 loss
Kelly Holcomb 0 wins 1 loss
Otto Graham 9 wins 3 losses
Was going to say, "Made even more impressive when you realize that in Otto's time there was only one playoff game per season." But something told me to check.
I'd forgotten that the leagues (AAFC and NFL) played off regular season ties in lieu of the tie breaker system of today. So Otto had a couple of 2 - 0 playoff years...
Playoff Record as Starting QB: 1946 (1-0), 1947 (1-0), 1948 (1-0), 1949 (2-0), 1950 (2-0), 1951 (0-1), 1952 (0-1), 1953 (0-1), 1954 (1-0), 1955 (1-0)
-
It's just amazing how the talking heads never ever mention Otto Graham when talking QB history. His records stand head and shoulders above so many of the so called great ones and yet no mention.
Yeah that annoys the fuck out of me. It's like football didn't start till Super Bowl 1.
Yeah that annoys the fuck out of me. It's like football didn't start till Super Bowl 1.
It annoys me the NFL lets the Browns include some ragtag league(aafc) in with nfl stats
-
Yeah that annoys the fuck out of me. It's like football didn't start till Super Bowl 1.
It annoys me the NFL lets the Browns include some ragtag league(aafc) in with nfl stats
It annoys me the NFL lets the Browns include some ragtag league(aafc) in with nfl stats
The NFL also lets the bugles use their AFL records. So what?
-
Yeah that annoys the fuck out of me. It's like football didn't start till Super Bowl 1.
It annoys me the NFL lets the Browns include some ragtag league(aafc) in with nfl stats
It annoys me the NFL lets the Browns include some ragtag league(aafc) in with nfl stats
What a fucking ignorant dumbass you are. The AAFC was BETTER than the NFL......they drew more attendance, they paid players more....they had black players where the NFL didn't.
Not to mention the fact that the AAFC Champion horsewhipped the NFL Champion the first time they played...and went on to appear in the NFL title game 6 years in a row.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login