Skip to content

Freeman just got cut

The Browns Board
75 29 2.9k
  • I'd be sure to talk to the young man...

  • I think we have to look at him now. I don't think wheezy is the answer.

  • I think we have to look at him now. I don't think wheezy is the answer.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I think we have to look at him now. I don't think wheezy is the answer.

    No way Weeden's the answer...Hoyer made him look like dog shit the last couple of weeks.

  • Give him a one year contract and give it a go if Hoyer out for season.

  • Give him a one year contract and give it a go if Hoyer out for season.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Give him a one year contract and give it a go if Hoyer out for season.

    Absolutely, if Hoyer is done for the year, Freeman is a better alternative than We-don't.

  • i don't know what is going on, but i think ANY move after the TR trade would just cause chaos within the ranks and lead to a lost season, whereas right now these guys feel invincible.

    not saying freeman wouldn't be a good sign BUT if you were a player (as seen tonite.....the OLine let weeden get whacked while stepping aside a full-out blitz) how much loyalty do you have to throw around? i mean, i get it. you're a pro. do you're job.

    but lot's of times things are done by personal feelings and sentiment.

  • Let's stop picking up other peoples trash !

  • i can't believe that when everything looks like we are on the edge of going over the top and actually moving forward at full throttle, that our homeboy QB is injured and might be out for the season.

    which leads me to ask this: do you now (seeing as how he is hurt) cut ties with hoyer and sign someone like freeman, have weeden start until he blows, throw freeman in until he blows and just go all in on the ugliest most over-inflated QB draft in the last decade?

    if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

  • i can't believe that when everything looks like we are on the edge of going over the top and actually moving forward at full throttle, that our homeboy QB is injured and might be out for the season.

    which leads me to ask this: do you now (seeing as how he is hurt) cut ties with hoyer and sign someone like freeman, have weeden start until he blows, throw freeman in until he blows and just go all in on the ugliest most over-inflated QB draft in the last decade?

    if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

    @miktoxic said:

    i can't believe that when everything looks like we are on the edge of going over the top and actually moving forward at full throttle, that our homeboy QB is injured and might be out for the season.

    which leads me to ask this: do you now (seeing as how he is hurt) cut ties with hoyer and sign someone like freeman, have weeden start until he blows, throw freeman in until he blows and just go all in on the ugliest most over-inflated QB draft in the last decade?

    if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

    Assuming Hoyer's out for the season - because this could all change otherwise - I'd give him someone to compete with for the starting job, and pick up a third low round QB. I don't think that the competitor will be Weeden or Campbell, though.

    Hopefully, though, Hoyer gets back some time in the year and gets another chance.

  • Give him a one year contract and give it a go if Hoyer out for season.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Give him a one year contract and give it a go if Hoyer out for season.

    Please, please change that avatar.

    @miktoxic said:

    i don't know what is going on, but i think ANY move after the TR trade would just cause chaos within the ranks and lead to a lost season, whereas right now these guys feel invincible.

    not saying freeman wouldn't be a good sign BUT if you were a player (as seen tonite.....the OLine let weeden get whacked while stepping aside a full-out blitz) how much loyalty do you have to throw around? i mean, i get it. you're a pro. do you're job.

    but lot's of times things are done by personal feelings and sentiment.

    Not sure if the o-line can't stand him, (they're playing for their jobs too) but fans have said when Weeden gets sacked, no one picks him up. It's obvious Mik- Brandon doesn't have the reaction time to be a top level qb.

  • I'd be just as concerned about picking up a running back as another QB.

  • I'd be just as concerned about picking up a running back as another QB.

    @mohican said:

    I'd be just as concerned about picking up a running back as another QB.

    We got about 90 yards on the ground, out of about 290 total. Not great numbers, but we don't *need* an awful lot more than that - another 20 yards and we'd be saying the position is sorted. I'd leave it for now, unless someone worthwhile becomes available, and address it in the offseason.

  • We could use Freeman as a backup, he has the talent necessary to get some Ws, but he won't sign a one-year contract to come in as a backup and possible starter after a few weeks of practice, only to be dropped at the end of the year.

    He's looking to go somewhere where he can compete to be the starter long-term, and I don't think he'll want to compete with Weeden, Hoyer, and probably an incoming 1st round pick next season...

  • I'd be willing to bet they'll be making phone calls as soon as they know Hoyer's status. Someone will be brought in and Freeman may be one of the options. May be back up, but I don't think that will be the goal if they're looking for a QB.

  • We should get Matt Flynn - and a random rookie to beat him for the starting job and actually turn in to a solid starter.

  • Bringing in a backup expected to compete for the starting job at this point is really unrealistic...

    Weeden is the guy.... I don't like it(and no I didn't boo and shame on you if you did) you don't like it...hell I'll bet Chud

    doesn't like ...but for right now they just got a get behind Brandon and see if they can find a guy who can grasp the offense when Weeden goes down...

    and he will go down before seasons end he makes himself such a target back there I just don't see him making it through the season unscathed

  • i can't believe that when everything looks like we are on the edge of going over the top and actually moving forward at full throttle, that our homeboy QB is injured and might be out for the season.

    which leads me to ask this: do you now (seeing as how he is hurt) cut ties with hoyer and sign someone like freeman, have weeden start until he blows, throw freeman in until he blows and just go all in on the ugliest most over-inflated QB draft in the last decade?

    if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

    @miktoxic said:

    if you are joe banner right now this morning and you realize hoyer's knees are blown out.......WHAT WOULD U DO??

    First, I'd puke, then I'd cry........I know that's what I did.

  • What Bammer said.

    I'll say it. I'm giddy with first place.

    Tim Tebow for blocking FB and emergency/trick-play QB. Lauvao and a real FB or blocking TE would help our running game more than any other unemployed RB we could find now. If Hoyer's out for the year, Weeds totally self-destructs or gets hurt too, Campbell sucks/truly doesn't even care about playing, would you rather have Tebow with Chud saying IDGAF or Caleb Hanie?

    That said, with our defense and STs, we can win with Weeden. (which brings up what to do with Weeden/Hoyer/draft if we go 10-6, win the division, Weeden still has some God-awful stinkers along the way including one in the first round of the playoffs, but later. We're in first place.)

    Think of Weeden as a pitcher - he still does. Chud and Norv have to pitch backwards with him to set up his one strength - the deep ball. Finding Cameron seems like the one exception. Getting Weeds to chuck it OB sometimes would help, too. We have to throw fastballs in junk counts and throw junk in fastball counts. Pick the right situations for the deep balls, hit on 2-3 of them a game, play field position/safe reads/win TOP most of the rest of the way. A 15-yard draw on 3rd and 20, then relying on the defense, helps the cause. As much as we're loving Hoyer, it's not much different with him right now. Our D could well come up with a pick or fumble a couple snaps later, then we're really set. Making double-sure we protect FGs thanks to D/ST play is aggravating for a fan, but it's a smarter move than putting it on Weeds to make a tight throw on 3rd and 8 at the 15.

    13-for-24 for 197, 1 TD and 0 turnovers was good. Five sacks was bad. At least stat-wise, Weeds was okay against Baltimore. 21-for-33 for 227, 0 TD, 0 turnovers, still 5 sacks. We got no turnovers, good field position only a couple times and 1 first down running the ball. We have 14 rushing first downs in the last 3 games, not awesome, but enough to do the job. (bring up TRich trade? nah).

  • We should get Matt Flynn - and a random rookie to beat him for the starting job and actually turn in to a solid starter.

    @gftchris said:

    We should get Matt Flynn - and a random rookie to beat him for the starting job and actually turn in to a solid starter.

    @d-bone said:

    First, I'd puke, then I'd cry........I know that's what I did.

    funny shit guys!! LMAO!! (gftchris...that was a joke.....right?).

  • Bringing in a backup expected to compete for the starting job at this point is really unrealistic...

    Weeden is the guy.... I don't like it(and no I didn't boo and shame on you if you did) you don't like it...hell I'll bet Chud

    doesn't like ...but for right now they just got a get behind Brandon and see if they can find a guy who can grasp the offense when Weeden goes down...

    and he will go down before seasons end he makes himself such a target back there I just don't see him making it through the season unscathed

    @brownb499 said:

    Bringing in a backup expected to compete for the starting job at this point is really unrealistic...

    Weeden is the guy.... I don't like it(and no I didn't boo and shame on you if you did) you don't like it...hell I'll bet Chud

    doesn't like ...but for right now they just got a get behind Brandon and see if they can find a guy who can grasp the offense when Weeden goes down...

    and he will go down before seasons end he makes himself such a target back there I just don't see him making it through the season unscathed

    While the Browns will almost certainly need to bring in a third QB....assuming Hoyer is out, it will not likely be someone that would compete for the starting position at this point....but a young guy or older veteran off the streets who will know that is role is 3rd string QB. I doubt that this front office will bring in Freeman....who is about the only guy out there who seems remotely capable of being an NFL starting QB if their plan is to go after a QB in the draft.

    I mean, we went over this in another thread. These are the other names out there:

    Jamarcus Russell

    Charlie Batch

    Byron Leftwich

    Tyler Thigpen

    Seneca Wallace

    Matt Leinert

    Vince Young

    Matt Blanchard

    Matt Brown

    Alex Carder

    David Carr

    Jimmy Clausen

    BJ Coleman

    Dayn Crist

    Austin Davis

    Dennis Dixon

    Seth Doege

    Trent Edwards

    Nathan Enderle

    Adam Weber

    John Parker Wilson

    Caleb Hanie

    Chandler Harnish

    Grahm Harrell

    Mike Herman

    Mike Kafka

    GJ Kinne

    Jordan Palmer

    Nathan Stanley

    Jordan Rodgers

    Tim Tebow

    Caleb TerBush

    James Vandenberg

    Pat White

    Dalton Williams

    Vince Young

    and of course now Josh Freeman

    Any of those names get you excited? One of them may be joining your Cleveland Browns.