rey highlights
-
-
Do you think Orakpo would make a better pass rushing OLB in our system then Everette Brown or Maybin?
OLB ? yes ...Pass rusher Yes! Show up against pittsburgh? not so much
-
I tried to make the same point about Polamalu...he lasted until #16 overall and had almost the Identical (weakness's as Rey) tight hips,over-pursuit, out of position, not a great cover guy....yet he was a head -hunter and went balls out....I know they play different positions but looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!
Saftey vs. ILB. Apples and Bananas when talking about that weakness.
Really dude? Can you read? I'm talking about polamalu..."looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!" .......what a block headMasters said:
Saftey vs. ILB. Apples and Bananas when talking about that weakness. -
Really dude? Can you read? I'm talking about polamalu..."looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!" .......what a block headMasters said:
Saftey vs. ILB. Apples and Bananas when talking about that weakness.Really dude? Can you read? I'm talking about polamalu..."looking back he would be one hell of a top 5 pick. at the time if he was picked #5 people would have screamed and yelled REACH!!!" .......what a block head
While comparing Rey and Troy's weaknesses coming out. Hence my comment about apples and oranges. Can you read and retain what you type?
-
It's not a fact that Rey will be difference maker MLB in the NFL. When there are questions of whether he was even the best LB on his team, it's a big risk to draft Rey at #5. Especially when most scouts are even questioning if he is a 3 down LB.
Masters said:
It's not a fact that Rey will be difference maker MLB in the NFL. When there are questions of whether he was even the best LB on his team, it's a big risk to draft Rey at #5. Especially when most scouts are even questioning if he is a 3 down LB.I understand where Masters is coming from. Aloy has many of the same concerns.
IMO, no 2 USC games looked alike. One early game I watched Brian Cushing absolutely stoled the show on defense. Another week I watched, it was the Clay Matthews coming out party (because he wasn't a starter all year and I'm not sure people know this). Another week it was Rey. Against Penn State, Clay Matthews looked like he matured into a combination of his dad and Chip Banks. Now THAT is getting better with experience. Upside? You bet!
I'm a BIG Rey fan because I can't get the impression of 2007 out of my head. First impressions seal the deal alot with me. They're not always RIGHT though. If anyone watches USC's defense thinking there's only going to be 1 tackler on every play, they're going to be greatly disappointed. ALOT of this is because opposing game plans pick different poisons from 1 week to the next. Only Oregon found the solution and I think it was either voodoo or witch craft. Some of those that think Rey is overrated would disagree with me.
Everybody has different taste and perceptions. We've got alot of needs right now so I don't think I'd REALLY complain unless we drafted a corner or TE in the top 5. And if I complained, you know the guy would probably turn out to be a star.
- Tom F.
-
How many Linebacker busts have come out of USC??? I hope the only one is Keith Rivers but I doubt it...
-
-
It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.
Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.
I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.
-
It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.
Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.
I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.
It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.
Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.
I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.
I looked all over for a 96 mock draft w/ profiles, couldn't find it.
However, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Ray:
The fifth linebacker selected in the 1996 NFL Draft, many scouts considered him to be too small to play linebacker.
So the guy we consider a "thumper" was often considered too small to play the position.
I think it goes to show attitude and work ethic are bigger factors at ilb than the cookie cutter mold.
-
It's hard to recall, but weren't Ray Lewis's assumed negative and critics over analysing about what is goning on with Rey Malaluga. I'd sure like to see some of Lewis's predraft writeups and see how they match up to what is being said about RM.
Sometimes there is just too much over analysis. You have to look and see if the guy can paly football and does he have a passion to be the best. I see a lot about size, speed, agility and everything else they cn meaure, but the bottom line is can the guy paly football better then someone else.
I'm not saying Rey is my guy, but he has shown he is a football player and can be coached up and has a passion to be successful at the next level.
I looked all over for a 96 mock draft w/ profiles, couldn't find it.
However, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Ray:
The fifth linebacker selected in the 1996 NFL Draft, many scouts considered him to be too small to play linebacker.
So the guy we consider a "thumper" was often considered too small to play the position.
I think it goes to show attitude and work ethic are bigger factors at ilb than the cookie cutter mold.
I looked all over for a 96 mock draft w/ profiles, couldn't find it.
However, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Ray:
So the guy we consider a "thumper" was often considered too small to play the position.
I think it goes to show attitude and work ethic are bigger factors at ilb than the cookie cutter mold.
Even now Lewis only weighs in at 245. So guys who think you need a beast in the middle (size wise) are a little out of touch. It is more the WAY you play than the SIZE.
By the way...Lewis is an UNDER CONTROL LB. Meaning he DOES NOT over-pursue.
-
Here's another Maualuga highlight reel:
-
Aloysius said:
Here's another Maualuga highlight reel:Wow...that was painful to watch. He took himself out of over half of those...and got lost in traffic in the other half. And that was just one game.
-
I looked all over for a 96 mock draft w/ profiles, couldn't find it.
However, this is what Wikipedia has to say about Ray:
So the guy we consider a "thumper" was often considered too small to play the position.
I think it goes to show attitude and work ethic are bigger factors at ilb than the cookie cutter mold.
Even now Lewis only weighs in at 245. So guys who think you need a beast in the middle (size wise) are a little out of touch. It is more the WAY you play than the SIZE.
By the way...Lewis is an UNDER CONTROL LB. Meaning he DOES NOT over-pursue.
Even now Lewis only weighs in at 245. So guys who think you need a beast in the middle (size wise) are a little out of touch. It is more the WAY you play than the SIZE.
By the way...Lewis is an UNDER CONTROL LB. Meaning he DOES NOT over-pursue.
and that is what is wrong with Davis. He is not under control, doesn't have speed or react well and can't get off of blocks. One of the main things I would look at for a 3-4 ILB is the ability to get off blocks and not get caught up in traffic.
I see Curry and Malaluga both doing that well. Curry may play a little more under control. Rey tries to make the highlight film hits too often instead of just making the tackle.
But, my original point was that I see players slip because of measurables not fitting into what teams or scouts think are stock weight, height or speed. Lewis fell in the draft because of some character issues but also because of what scouts perceived as lack of ideal size. That's overanalysis. Jerry Rice, too slow; Drew Brees, lack of arm strength; Sproles and Drew-Jones, too small.
Sometimes you just got to realize a guy can flat out play football and forget the measurables.
-
Aloysius said:
Here's another Maualuga highlight reel:The first few plays -
One they ran away from Rey.
Another was a screen where 3 different olinemen were looking for #58 and found him (respect? - you bet). Someone SHOULD have made the play in a defense full of superstars right?
Another play, Rey clogged the hole and the runner cutback to another hole. LBers fill so this one was on the others to make the play.
Let me pose this question, which ONE of the USC interior Dlinemen was playing the role of Shaun Rogers in this matchup the same way Shaun Rogers would play the role?
Quite honestly, I DID see a couple of bad plays from Rey but I didn't notice Cushing or Matthews or anyone else setting the world on fire. I'd be lying if I said I did. Does that mean that they are all overrated? I don't think so. They pounded Penn State and Ohio State pretty decisively.
If I summed up the Baltimore Ravens Defense after the Giants ran all over it, through it and around it - would I have an accurate depiction of WHO they are? I'm gonna say no, it was more of an exception to the rule. If I summed up the NY Giants defense after the Cleveland Browns trashed it - would I have the 2008 rule or exception?
Everbody has a bad day. What put Rey on the map with me was his 2007 season and his continuous ability to jar footballs loose or cause turnovers throughout his career at USC. When I look at the level of competition, I see the Pac 10 was undefeated in their 5 Bowl Games right? Meanwhile Wake Forest played Navy and got behind against them when all Navy was doing was running the option. Nothing fancy - just predictable. That said, if I told you Curry didn't dominate or make a bunch of tackles without telling you Navy planned EXCLUSIVELY for avoiding Curry would I be fair in saying Curry didn't do a ton that game? No, his PRESENCE alone, caused them to run away from him, which should have made the predictability easier on Curry's teammates. That Oregon game didn't exactly endorse Cushing or Matthews either but does that mean they shouldn't be drafted in the first 2 rounds? Hell no!
I like BOTH LBers (Rey & Curry) for completely different reasons. I understand Rey is going to get alot of negative hype and people will look for his worst games. Whatever. As the 2007 draft got closer - all I heard about Peterson was his injury proneness and that he was still injured. Every year there's a guy the experts want to tear down BUT is that because they REALLY want some guys sliding to their door step? It doesn't matter what I want - what matters is if we have the RIGHT people doing the research we'll know if a character is worth avoiding or adding. We'll know if a skill level is a 3-4 fit or better off elsewhere.
As much as I LOVE the highlight collages put together - don't forget we had the ACC's Offensive Player of the Year on our team by the name of Chris Barclay. I'm guessing you could have found PLENTY of impressive highlights of him in the open fields against the ACC competition. Haven't we drafted 3 ACC LBers (Williams, Jackson, and Wimbley)? Which one of those guys is our X-factor right now? Who jars footballs loose or scores TDs on opposing offenses like LBers from BETTER 3-4s? Curry LOOKS to have impressive skills BUT does that mean he's perfect for a 3-4? I HOPE so but I'd be a fool to say Clemson or Navy presents the SAME challenges the AFC North presents when we understand what division played in the AFC Championship. It wasn't THAT long ago we were watching the video collages of Wimbley's greatest moments at FSU. I remembered cautioning people PRE draft about Wimbley not putting up the type of sack volumes that Peppers and LT once had, if THAT was who they were expecting. I also remembered hearing about it when he had MORE sacks as an NFL rookie than he ever had in any 1 season in college. Trouble is - those have disappeared as film technology has prepared NFL caliber tackles for his 1 move. That's not an opinion as much as it is an inconvenient truth.
I have Curry #1A and Rey 1B on defense; BUT I'm just a sweat that drinks beer, chows Doritos and refuses to acknowledge weaknesses when I decide I like a player. If I didn't like Rey, I'd be on a quest to find his worst game, share it and say this is the rule not the exception. I noticed there aren't any bad videos of Curry. Is that because he never makes mistakes? Curry reminds me MOST of Carl Banks (main reason he's #1 IMO but read on), which means he will be GREAT but the NFL 3-4 took Banks 3 years to find comfort and master into who the Giants wanted him to be according to Parcells. I ALSO notice BB prefers to start LBers with experience in his 3-4 like when he signed Pepper Johnson and Carl Banks for us or when he chose to make Vrabel and Bruschi his consistent backbone of the LBer corps. He's added vets like Seau, Colvin and Thomas. Mayo is the only rookie LBer I've seen him start which is an exception to the rule with BB. Dick LeBeau seems like he likes guys like Timmons and Woodley well trained before starting them as wide eyed rookies too.
I'd really like a SUDDEN impact with the #5 overall so Rey is my 1B (challenging my 1A mood daily) because I believe he'd offer a quicker impact BUT Cury looks to have more upside for growth if I'm being honest with my limited assessments confined to Curry's greatest plays. If the draft meets us with where we are at now - adding Rey to a 3-4 that he's USED to playing in with a perk of Shaun Rogers in front of him - there's an intriguing chemistry and temptation of making me choose now over upside. IMO, liking one doesn't mean the other has to suck. It also means that's just 1 man's opinion.
- Tom F.
-
I like Curry too Mostly from his play but the amazing insight I have gained about him in the Butkisaward.com interview....they interviewed everyone in his circle of friends and family and coaches...etc....This dude has that three Intangibles you can't coach, teach or learn ....WILL. He wants to be the best ever to play....DRIVE.....GYM RAT, FILM RAT and HEART....those three aren't on any highlight reel or seen readily. I'd take him at five but he won't be there imo....REY!
-
If I knew that Rey could lay two big hits on Ben each game it would be worth the number 5 pick.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login