What do you think of Clowney's actions lately?
-
Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
-
Clowney isn't like that. I may not like it, but I understand him not wanting to get hurt, and you guys are way out in left field if you say you don't get it.
-
Clowney isn't like that. I may not like it, but I understand him not wanting to get hurt, and you guys are way out in left field if you say you don't get it.
Clowney isn't like that. I may not like it, but I understand him not wanting to get hurt, and you guys are way out in left field if you say you don't get it.
"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.
-
Clowney isn't like that. I may not like it, but I understand him not wanting to get hurt, and you guys are way out in left field if you say you don't get it.
"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.
"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.
I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.
To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.
-
Again, I only know what I read from sources like Yahoo! and ESPN and I'm not really following it closely, but for me, if I were a GM, it would be a huge red flag.
I somehow can't see JJ Watt doing that, or wanting to play with someone like that.........Can you?

-
"way out in left field if you say you don't get it" I guess I'm standing on the warning track then. So it sounds as though the people "that get it" are 100% fine with a player taking it easy and letting his team down, as long is it because of money............. I'm glad I don't get it.
I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.
To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.
I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.
To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.
It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?
From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.
Just my $0.02...
-
(OK, I am still trying to figure out why only the link now comes up instead of the video...anyone know?)
-
(OK, I am still trying to figure out why only the link now comes up instead of the video...anyone know?)
(OK, I am still trying to figure out why only the link now comes up instead of the video...anyone know?)
you just copied and pasted correct?
no image or url or media buttons to hit, just copy the url when you're on the page at youtube and then just paste directly into this reply box.
-
(OK, I am still trying to figure out why only the link now comes up instead of the video...anyone know?)
you just copied and pasted correct?
no image or url or media buttons to hit, just copy the url when you're on the page at youtube and then just paste directly into this reply box.
-
I'm frankly in the middle because I understand both sides. Honestly just think about this for a second and respond. You're in his shoes and know for a fact you have 20 million bucks coming to you barring a serious injury. 20 MILLION DOLLARS. I just don't know man, it sounds easy to say you'd give 100 percent but that's a tough pill to swallow.
To me this speaks to a larger issue of this stupid waiting period in college sports. If you're good enough to make money at what you do, you should be allowed be leave whenever the hell you want. Clowney is supposedly a once in a 20 year talent who would have been the top pick last year yet alone this year. It's ridiculous he should even be in this position to begin with.
It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?
From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.
Just my $0.02...
It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?
From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.
Just my $0.02...
Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.
-
It's an interesting point. I assume it's partly to make sure the player has at least some kind of academic background for after they've played, but also so that they guys getting 20m cheques are also a little bit more mature. Look at Manziel - Heisman trophy winner, so by definition 'the best player in college football' or very close, and he's got to hang around another year. Clearly, though, he has maturity issues, so maybe staying in college another year will benefit him?
From another angle, suppose you get a 5* recruit from high school; he red-shirts for a year, then lights it up in his first year on the team. He's only been in college 2 years, so isn't eligible to declare for the draft. Now, he goes back to college as the star, with all the pressure on him to perform - that ability (or inability) to thrive under pressure is another important factor in determining whether he'll be able to make it big in the NFL. If he goes pro after one good year, with a big contract, there's a much higher risk of him being a bust than someone who has 2 or 3 years of solid production, under pressure.
Just my $0.02...
Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.
Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.
Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.
-
Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.
Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.
Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.
You are right about that, but I think anyway it's naive to say the NCAA doesn't have money in mind in that process. I do understand what you're saying, but 20 year olds are functioning adults. No one would be taken out of high school and maybe a couple would leave after one year. If a kid leaves early and flames out as a result that's his and the organization's dumbass. IDK, it's just crazy to me that someone who is capable of making so much money based on his talents can't do so because 'he's not ready'.
-
Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.
PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.
-
I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine. I'm sure there are guys behind him itching to get in and the other 74 or whatever players are trying to win an SEC championship. This guy has shit on the whole program putting himself above the team. If I was a GM I'd think twice about picking this guy because he had problems with taking plays off and people questioned hos conditioning. That means he's not working hard in practice or in games. I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck. What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.
-
Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.
-
Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.
Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.
I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.
-
Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.
I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.
-
Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.
I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.
I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.
Well, certainly possible- with the Steelers- Giants now #2 on the suck-o-meter, & neither in desperate need of a qb - they could well try to move into the #1 slot. OTOH they may know the Jags are taking a qb anyway, and wait for Clowney to fall to them.
-
Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine.
I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck.
What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.
Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.
Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.
-
To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.
XxDaBuckeyexX said:
I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine.
I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck.
What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.
Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.
Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.
Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.
Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.
I could be wrong but I doubt he is. There's wayyy too much hype on the guy to fall out of the top 5 barring a serious injury. McShay said that multiple scouts told him that if today he stopped playing college football and just prepared for the NFL draft, he'd be number 1 on their boards.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login