Skip to content

Browns to play in Wembley?

The Browns Board
32 11 1.1k
  • I would think Canada would be pretty prime for a football team over England.

    I know the idea is to go international overseas to create a world wide league, but I don't know if there would be enough of an interest. I look at the few games that are played in London and there seems to be very few in attendance. (I always wondered, how many people do soccer stadiums over there hold? Maybe the stadiums are much bigger, and thats why it always looks empty)

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @hx214 said:

    I would think Canada would be pretty prime for a football team over England.

    I know the idea is to go international overseas to create a world wide league, but I don't know if there would be enough of an interest. I look at the few games that are played in London and there seems to be very few in attendance. (I always wondered, how many people do soccer stadiums over there hold? Maybe the stadiums are much bigger, and thats why it always looks empty)

    Other than the one game the Bills play in Toronto, there is basically a gentleman's agreement to leave hands off Canada and leave it to the CFL.

  • @ballpeen said:

    OK....I missed that. I was wondering.

    One of the problems associated with new teams in this country is existing teams markets. I would think both Houston and Dallas might lay claim SA.

    Some other towns that might be good locations...OK City, and Salt Lake City.

    Sorry, yeah, brainfart on that one. I was thinking Alabama, I don't think there's a team there?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @gftchris said:

    Sorry, yeah, brainfart on that one. I was thinking Alabama, I don't think there's a team there?

    Our Birmingham...Alabama, was the location of a USFL franchise, and could probably be supportive of an NFL team. But, here again, territorial claims may get in the way as Birmingham is not that far from either Nashville or Atlanta...so those team may claim territorial rights to B-ham.

  • @hx214 said:

    Hmm... that's weird. When I watch the highlights on TV it seems like there is a huge void in the upper decks, but it also seems like the seats are pretty far away from the field too, it also has this odd lighting about it. I can always tell when I am watching a clip from a London game, it just doesn't look the same. Maybe it make it hard to see the people in the stands.

    I think the easiest way to tell is the lack of team colours throughout the crowd. People will turn up wearing any NFL jersey they own, just to show (presumably) that they're not just there for the novelty.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @gftchris said:

    I think the easiest way to tell is the lack of team colours throughout the crowd. People will turn up wearing any NFL jersey they own, just to show (presumably) that they're not just there for the novelty.

    But, really, isn't that all it is? A novelty?

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Shit, teams claiming rights over cities 200 miles away? Try doing that in England, you'd have about 2 teams!

  • @gftchris said:

    I think the easiest way to tell is the lack of team colours throughout the crowd. People will turn up wearing any NFL jersey they own, just to show (presumably) that they're not just there for the novelty.

    But, really, isn't that all it is? A novelty?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    But, really, isn't that all it is? A novelty?

    At the moment I think it is, but I know more and more people who are really getting in to it outside of any influence from me - unfortunately they all seem to be patriots fans. In 5 years, who knows how many people will be following? That being said, I think for the majority of people it will still be their 'second' sport after soccer. For me it's basically tied right now - i'd love for the NFL season to run from May to September so I have sport all year round 😁

  • @the-gipper said:

    But, really, isn't that all it is? A novelty?

    At the moment I think it is, but I know more and more people who are really getting in to it outside of any influence from me - unfortunately they all seem to be patriots fans. In 5 years, who knows how many people will be following? That being said, I think for the majority of people it will still be their 'second' sport after soccer. For me it's basically tied right now - i'd love for the NFL season to run from May to September so I have sport all year round 😁

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    At the moment I think it is, but I know more and more people who are really getting in to it outside of any influence from me - unfortunately they all seem to be patriots fans. In 5 years, who knows how many people will be following? That being said, I think for the majority of people it will still be their 'second' sport after soccer. For me it's basically tied right now - i'd love for the NFL season to run from May to September so I have sport all year round 😁

    When does the English soccer season run? For that matter, when does the MLS season run?

    (let's not get too deep into soccer or Z will bust this thread over to the Barbershop).

  • @gftchris said:

    At the moment I think it is, but I know more and more people who are really getting in to it outside of any influence from me - unfortunately they all seem to be patriots fans. In 5 years, who knows how many people will be following? That being said, I think for the majority of people it will still be their 'second' sport after soccer. For me it's basically tied right now - i'd love for the NFL season to run from May to September so I have sport all year round 😁

    When does the English soccer season run? For that matter, when does the MLS season run?

    (let's not get too deep into soccer or Z will bust this thread over to the Barbershop).

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    When does the English soccer season run? For that matter, when does the MLS season run?

    (let's not get too deep into soccer or Z will bust this thread over to the Barbershop).

    It varies country to country, but typically it'll be mid-August/early-September until May some time. Then every other year you have international competitions that run for around a month across June/July.

    Some particularly cold-weather countries - Sweden, for example - run the season from March to November (ish). Others - like Russia, Germany, Spain etc - take a month off in the middle, around January.

  • Another game in London. Screw that. Yea, yea, yea, a prelude to putting a team there permanently. There are markets here in this cunt-tree that can use a team. Hello, McFly, Is anybody home? Los Angeles is the second largest market in America. Put a team there first. And maybe San Antonio. Why not a team in Mexico? Mexicans don't have enough money?

    I call bullcrap on this whole idea.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    Another game in London. Screw that. Yea, yea, yea, a prelude to putting a team there permanently. There are markets here in this cunt-tree that can use a team. Hello, McFly, Is anybody home? Los Angeles is the second largest market in America. Put a team there first. And maybe San Antonio. Why not a team in Mexico? Mexicans don't have enough money?

    I call bullcrap on this whole idea.

    I don't think there will ever be a permanent team in London. There's a lot more to consider than just the travel. This article spells it all out pretty well..

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9716479/nfl-team-london-raises-legal-issues

  • Booty LoafB Booty Loaf wrote on last edited by
    #23

    if it's an away game then we're only gaining. we'll only have 7 away games and 1 neutral. id be pissed af if was a home game

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #24

    maybe lerner could show up with his soccer jersey on and sit in the owner's suite along with big jimmy H, where jimmy could school him on how to run a team the right way.

    either way that would be one expensive road trip but it could be fun seeing as the brits could actually show the tailgaters around the pubs and the underbelly of london the night before. too bad they close the legal clubs at what....midnite?

  • Another game in London. Screw that. Yea, yea, yea, a prelude to putting a team there permanently. There are markets here in this cunt-tree that can use a team. Hello, McFly, Is anybody home? Los Angeles is the second largest market in America. Put a team there first. And maybe San Antonio. Why not a team in Mexico? Mexicans don't have enough money?

    I call bullcrap on this whole idea.

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    Another game in London. Screw that. Yea, yea, yea, a prelude to putting a team there permanently. There are markets here in this cunt-tree that can use a team. Hello, McFly, Is anybody home? Los Angeles is the second largest market in America. Put a team there first. And maybe San Antonio. Why not a team in Mexico? Mexicans don't have enough money?

    I call bullcrap on this whole idea.

    Go talk to Goodell. 😛

  • @the-gipper said:

    Another game in London. Screw that. Yea, yea, yea, a prelude to putting a team there permanently. There are markets here in this cunt-tree that can use a team. Hello, McFly, Is anybody home? Los Angeles is the second largest market in America. Put a team there first. And maybe San Antonio. Why not a team in Mexico? Mexicans don't have enough money?

    I call bullcrap on this whole idea.

    I've read a lot of places and people saying that the league's idea is to put one in LA and one in London as part of an expansion. But yes, there are other places in the states I'm sure that could use it. Georgia?

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @gftchris said:

    I've read a lot of places and people saying that the league's idea is to put one in LA and one in London as part of an expansion. But yes, there are other places in the states I'm sure that could use it. Georgia?

    ramadan-mubarak-atlanta-falcons-logo-pic

  • @gftchris said:

    I've read a lot of places and people saying that the league's idea is to put one in LA and one in London as part of an expansion. But yes, there are other places in the states I'm sure that could use it. Georgia?

    Atlanta is in Georgia fyi.

    In the US, aside from LA, to me the prime cities for expansion would be San Antonio, Portland, Salt Lake, or the Va.Beach/Norfolk area. But LA and SA would be #1 and #2.

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @the-gipper said:

    Atlanta is in Georgia fyi.

    In the US, aside from LA, to me the prime cities for expansion would be San Antonio, Portland, Salt Lake, or the Va.Beach/Norfolk area. But LA and SA would be #1 and #2.

    SA: already has HOU & DAL

    POR: small market, already has SEA

    VA: already has BAL & WAS

  • @the-gipper said:

    Atlanta is in Georgia fyi.

    In the US, aside from LA, to me the prime cities for expansion would be San Antonio, Portland, Salt Lake, or the Va.Beach/Norfolk area. But LA and SA would be #1 and #2.

    SA: already has HOU & DAL

    POR: small market, already has SEA

    VA: already has BAL & WAS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @koalabazooka said:

    SA: already has HOU & DAL SA is further from Dallas and Houston than Pittsburgh/Cinci/Detroit/Buffalo are from Cleveland...and SA is like the 5th largest city in the US, and Austin is nearby....so the market is huge.

    POR: small market, already has SEA...yea, probably

    VA: already has BAL & WAS...again the VA "Tidewater" is further from DC than Pitt/Cinci/Det/Buff. are from Cleveland.

  • Kennel ClubK Kennel Club wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Putting my selfish hat on I would love to see the Brownies at Wembley, as long as its not at the expense of a home game.

  • HowieDawgH HowieDawg wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Im with Kennel, i would not want cleveland to miss out on a home game. But an awy game, yes, I'd love to see them here and then back in Cleveland.

  • Im with Kennel, i would not want cleveland to miss out on a home game. But an awy game, yes, I'd love to see them here and then back in Cleveland.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @howiedawg said:

    Im with Kennel, i would not want cleveland to miss out on a home game. But an awy game, yes, I'd love to see them here and then back in Cleveland.

    By the way Howie, thanks for bringing us 2 wins when you were here. That like doubled the number of wins you have seen didn't it?

  • I would think Canada would be pretty prime for a football team over England.

    I know the idea is to go international overseas to create a world wide league, but I don't know if there would be enough of an interest. I look at the few games that are played in London and there seems to be very few in attendance. (I always wondered, how many people do soccer stadiums over there hold? Maybe the stadiums are much bigger, and thats why it always looks empty)

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @hx214 said:

    I would think Canada would be pretty prime for a football team over England.

    I know the idea is to go international overseas to create a world wide league, but I don't know if there would be enough of an interest. I look at the few games that are played in London and there seems to be very few in attendance. (I always wondered, how many people do soccer stadiums over there hold? Maybe the stadiums are much bigger, and thats why it always looks empty)

    Looks 85% full, 84,000 people is great.