Skip to content

defense critique

The Browns Board
14 9 703
  • I know that the D has been balling and this loss certainly can't be hung on them. There's just a few things I see that's been going on for a few weeks now and I think it kind of got exposed this game. Since Jabaal went down, we've gotten very little in the way of real pass rushing from the edge's with the exception of a few late Mandingo plays where he managed to get around the edge. I'm fine with the kid he's still growing, it's Kruger I'm startin to get a little sour on. He's still a beast at turning everything inside in the run D, but c'mon it's 6 weeks in and you have one sack and a cleanup one at that. We didn't pay him 8m to bullrush the qb "all" game long. It's all he can do. Yes he does it well and up until today he was able to make qb's get the ball out of there maybe a little quicker than they like cause he was pushing guys back into their faces. But I think the LIons RT was coached up for that 1 trick pony. This was a day when Kruger should have broken out the tool box and dug up a few swims and spins, he just doesn't have em. When he does try something it's always upright, he only bullrushes with Leverage. Jabaal is by far our best pass rusher and he also can bullrush. The good qb's, dear god when we go to GB everybody should have alcohol at the ready, are going to shred our defense if we can't collapse their pocket.

  • sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

  • I know that the D has been balling and this loss certainly can't be hung on them. There's just a few things I see that's been going on for a few weeks now and I think it kind of got exposed this game. Since Jabaal went down, we've gotten very little in the way of real pass rushing from the edge's with the exception of a few late Mandingo plays where he managed to get around the edge. I'm fine with the kid he's still growing, it's Kruger I'm startin to get a little sour on. He's still a beast at turning everything inside in the run D, but c'mon it's 6 weeks in and you have one sack and a cleanup one at that. We didn't pay him 8m to bullrush the qb "all" game long. It's all he can do. Yes he does it well and up until today he was able to make qb's get the ball out of there maybe a little quicker than they like cause he was pushing guys back into their faces. But I think the LIons RT was coached up for that 1 trick pony. This was a day when Kruger should have broken out the tool box and dug up a few swims and spins, he just doesn't have em. When he does try something it's always upright, he only bullrushes with Leverage. Jabaal is by far our best pass rusher and he also can bullrush. The good qb's, dear god when we go to GB everybody should have alcohol at the ready, are going to shred our defense if we can't collapse their pocket.

    @clevfan4life said:

    I know that the D has been balling and this loss certainly can't be hung on them. There's just a few things I see that's been going on for a few weeks now and I think it kind of got exposed this game. Since Jabaal went down, we've gotten very little in the way of real pass rushing from the edge's with the exception of a few late Mandingo plays where he managed to get around the edge. I'm fine with the kid he's still growing, it's Kruger I'm startin to get a little sour on. He's still a beast at turning everything inside in the run D, but c'mon it's 6 weeks in and you have one sack and a cleanup one at that. We didn't pay him 8m to bullrush the qb "all" game long. It's all he can do. Yes he does it well and up until today he was able to make qb's get the ball out of there maybe a little quicker than they like cause he was pushing guys back into their faces. But I think the LIons RT was coached up for that 1 trick pony. This was a day when Kruger should have broken out the tool box and dug up a few swims and spins, he just doesn't have em. When he does try something it's always upright, he only bullrushes with Leverage. Jabaal is by far our best pass rusher and he also can bullrush. The good qb's, dear god when we go to GB everybody should have alcohol at the ready, are going to shred our defense if we can't collapse their pocket.

    my big bitch about the kruger signing was that he was only effective on 3rd downs. i don't think they even played him the first 2 downs.

    @lbc-mike said:

    sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

    thank god for that. sheard was heckert's best pick in his last year.

  • The D was awful today.

  • The D was awful today.

    @dab7291993 said:

    The D was awful today.

    awful? While they weren't exactly knocking Stafford down all over the place the run D and the secondary were stout for about 3.5 quarters. Remember the game plan for detroit is to help out the secondary in containing megatron and the other treehouses they pass off as WR's...and do everything you can to keep Bush and Bell infront of you. Detroit is sick with those screens. What pressure you do get has to come from the front 4, and yeah that's where we weren't getting it done today. But the defense was far from awful dude.

  • @dab7291993 said:

    The D was awful today.

    awful? While they weren't exactly knocking Stafford down all over the place the run D and the secondary were stout for about 3.5 quarters. Remember the game plan for detroit is to help out the secondary in containing megatron and the other treehouses they pass off as WR's...and do everything you can to keep Bush and Bell infront of you. Detroit is sick with those screens. What pressure you do get has to come from the front 4, and yeah that's where we weren't getting it done today. But the defense was far from awful dude.

    @clevfan4life said:

    awful? While they weren't exactly knocking Stafford down all over the place the run D and the secondary were stout for about 3.5 quarters. Remember the game plan for detroit is to help out the secondary in containing megatron and the other treehouses they pass off as WR's...and do everything you can to keep Bush and Bell infront of you. Detroit is sick with those screens. What pressure you do get has to come from the front 4, and yeah that's where we weren't getting it done today. But the defense was far from awful dude.

    I think they have been spectacular this year. They WERE awful today. No sacks , rarely any QB pressure, screens and routes underneath wide open for the Lions all day. This game was an overall suckfest on both sides of the ball.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I know that the D has been balling and this loss certainly can't be hung on them. There's just a few things I see that's been going on for a few weeks now and I think it kind of got exposed this game. Since Jabaal went down, we've gotten very little in the way of real pass rushing from the edge's with the exception of a few late Mandingo plays where he managed to get around the edge. I'm fine with the kid he's still growing, it's Kruger I'm startin to get a little sour on. He's still a beast at turning everything inside in the run D, but c'mon it's 6 weeks in and you have one sack and a cleanup one at that. We didn't pay him 8m to bullrush the qb "all" game long. It's all he can do. Yes he does it well and up until today he was able to make qb's get the ball out of there maybe a little quicker than they like cause he was pushing guys back into their faces. But I think the LIons RT was coached up for that 1 trick pony. This was a day when Kruger should have broken out the tool box and dug up a few swims and spins, he just doesn't have em. When he does try something it's always upright, he only bullrushes with Leverage. Jabaal is by far our best pass rusher and he also can bullrush. The good qb's, dear god when we go to GB everybody should have alcohol at the ready, are going to shred our defense if we can't collapse their pocket.

    my big bitch about the kruger signing was that he was only effective on 3rd downs. i don't think they even played him the first 2 downs.

    @lbc-mike said:

    sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

    thank god for that. sheard was heckert's best pick in his last year.

    @miktoxic said:

    my big bitch about the kruger signing was that he was only effective on 3rd downs. i don't think they even played him the first 2 downs.

    thank god for that. sheard was heckert's best pick in his last year.

    I'd love to actually see some all-22 footage on Kruger from his time with Bal. See what exactly he was doing to get to the qb. You can't say that teams are so worried about him that they're giving the tackles help on his side. So it's hard to understand why he's dropped off so much. Again I want to limit my gripe with his play because against the run he is STOUT and that was the knock on him last year....he was rated as one of the worst run defending OLB'ers in the league. He's definitely shored that part of his game up but damn his pass rushing has just fallen off the table. He just doesn't look comfortable doing anything but bullrushing. Still a good signing for us but I dunno about 8m. I really really really would have wanted them to pull Werner out of Indy in that Richardson trade. Between Mingo and Werner we would have had two of the premier pass rushers in last years draft class. That Werner kid has alot of upside so Indy "probably" wouldn't have let him go but who knows...I'd at least like to know the Browns asked. I'd rather have Werner than the high 1st rounder we're likely gonna get in that Indy trade. I see them possibly going to the SB. If Peyton gets hurt, they're my pick for sure to go to the SB from the AFC.

  • Lions had an easy day on offense, we gave them all the underneath stuff.

    We didn't make an impact defensively, they knew they could complete a 6-8 yard pass whenever they needed to and we saw it all game

  • sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

    @lbc-mike said:

    sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

    I think we are missing Winn as much as Sheard. But with Sheard out, Mingo wears down and is a less effective edge rusher, so there's a compound effect.

    But I think our real issues were inside:

    - For the first time this season Big Phil was neutralized. I cannot recall his name being called one time.

    - Robertson was overreacting much of the game... over running plays.

    - need to watch again, but impression was that DQ had his worst game of the year.

    Scheme-wise I still marvel how other teams manage to create gaps they blitz into while we tend to blitz into bodies...

  • How many times do we have to see TJ Ward lower his head,going for a big hit, and not wrapping up? Guys see him coming and just bounce off of him.

  • Buster Skrine played a good game. Haden was off and on again. Defense was hot and cold today. They gave that lameass white boy tight end 3 fucking tds. Top 10 d? Not after this game

  • @lbc-mike said:

    sheard should be back next week. Maybe Winn also

    I think we are missing Winn as much as Sheard. But with Sheard out, Mingo wears down and is a less effective edge rusher, so there's a compound effect.

    But I think our real issues were inside:

    - For the first time this season Big Phil was neutralized. I cannot recall his name being called one time.

    - Robertson was overreacting much of the game... over running plays.

    - need to watch again, but impression was that DQ had his worst game of the year.

    Scheme-wise I still marvel how other teams manage to create gaps they blitz into while we tend to blitz into bodies...

    @tour2ma said:

    I think we are missing Winn as much as Sheard. But with Sheard out, Mingo wears down and is a less effective edge rusher, so there's a compound effect.

    But I think our real issues were inside:

    - For the first time this season Big Phil was neutralized. I cannot recall his name being called one time.

    - Robertson was overreacting much of the game... over running plays.

    - need to watch again, but impression was that DQ had his worst game of the year.

    Scheme-wise I still marvel how other teams manage to create gaps they blitz into while we tend to blitz into bodies...

    The long Bush run I "think" was on Mingo again. Just like the other week when he let Spiller bounce to the outside when the D call was for the safeties to come up. That's what Kruger does exceptionally well now...he funnels everything back into the interior. Almost nothing the whole season has bounced on his side. I can't really tell yet how good Groves is but it's possible we may need to pick up one more OLB next season. They definitely need to get Groves more reps even when Sheard comes back. Kruger can't play and shouldn't play every single snap. At this point I would actually take Kruger out on long passing downs and put Mingo and Groves in.

  • The defense is cracking b/c the offense makes no plays. We had them in the 1st half, until the offense decided to quit playing. Still worry about our ILBs and Ss in coverage. DQJ and Ward have allowed TEs to get open their entire careers... This time it was Robertson and Gipson. Need to get better there...

  • The defense is cracking b/c the offense makes no plays. We had them in the 1st half, until the offense decided to quit playing. Still worry about our ILBs and Ss in coverage. DQJ and Ward have allowed TEs to get open their entire careers... This time it was Robertson and Gipson. Need to get better there...

    @thenew23 said:

    The defense is cracking b/c the offense makes no plays. We had them in the 1st half, until the offense decided to quit playing. Still worry about our ILBs and Ss in coverage. DQJ and Ward have allowed TEs to get open their entire careers... This time it was Robertson and Gipson. Need to get better there...

    I like CJ Mosley with that Indy pick.