Gravity
-
Finally saw this. And to put it bluntly, *meh* - there is basically no story, just a standard "you're running out of time, better get back to civilisation quick" theme going on. Spectacular effects, making me want to go in to space more and more, sure, but if that's what I wanted then I'd just go look at astrology websites.
Things I knew going in - it's basically just Sandy B on her own for most of the movie; she gets detached and needs to get back to earth; she will, or the movie wouldn't have been made.
Things I learned during the course of the film - it's possible to have an actual jetpack and fly around in space.
Seriously, you start out with the three of them, you know the other two are going to die - shock horror, the indian guy whose face we don't even see goes first. Then the other star, George Clooney, goes next, bravely giving his life to save hers. So we're left with about an hour of "ooooh, is she going to run out of oxygen/get hit by shrapnel/run out of fuel?" before she basically just gets in to another spacecraft and crash lands, via some extremely helpful hallucination.
Sorry for any spoilers, but this movie really pissed me off.
That was terrible man, you basically ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks.
That was terrible man, you basically ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks.
Don't read reviews and don't discuss movies before you see them if you don't want that to happen.
WSS
-
Finally saw this. And to put it bluntly, *meh* - there is basically no story, just a standard "you're running out of time, better get back to civilisation quick" theme going on. Spectacular effects, making me want to go in to space more and more, sure, but if that's what I wanted then I'd just go look at astrology websites.
Things I knew going in - it's basically just Sandy B on her own for most of the movie; she gets detached and needs to get back to earth; she will, or the movie wouldn't have been made.
Things I learned during the course of the film - it's possible to have an actual jetpack and fly around in space.
Seriously, you start out with the three of them, you know the other two are going to die - shock horror, the indian guy whose face we don't even see goes first. Then the other star, George Clooney, goes next, bravely giving his life to save hers. So we're left with about an hour of "ooooh, is she going to run out of oxygen/get hit by shrapnel/run out of fuel?" before she basically just gets in to another spacecraft and crash lands, via some extremely helpful hallucination.
Sorry for any spoilers, but this movie really pissed me off.
That was terrible man, you basically ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks.
That was terrible man, you basically ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks.
Well, sorry, but...
Don't read reviews and don't discuss movies before you see them if you don't want that to happen.
WSS
...this.
Plus, do you really not know the plot? That was my biggest gripe, that there was no plot or surprises.
-
That was terrible man, you basically ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks.
Don't read reviews and don't discuss movies before you see them if you don't want that to happen.
WSS
Don't read reviews and don't discuss movies before you see them if you don't want that to happen.
WSS
Yeah ok Steve most reviews are designed to critique the movie in question to let people know whether they ought to see them or not., not to detail how everyone dies and give away the ending. Generally, if you're not a douche, you'd put some sort of spoiler alert at the beginning of it.
-
Cast Away II: Cast Away in Space
-
Don't read reviews and don't discuss movies before you see them if you don't want that to happen.
WSS
Yeah ok Steve most reviews are designed to critique the movie in question to let people know whether they ought to see them or not., not to detail how everyone dies and give away the ending. Generally, if you're not a douche, you'd put some sort of spoiler alert at the beginning of it.
Yeah ok Steve most reviews are designed to critique the movie in question to let people know whether they ought to see them or not., not to detail how everyone dies and give away the ending. Generally, if you're not a douche, you'd put some sort of spoiler alert at the beginning of it.
Actually I try never to look at any other critics reviews before I go catch a film. Usually I go within days of its opening just in case.
It also pisses me off when the rushes or the previews give you just about every detail of the film. If not every detail at least a pretty good idea of what is to come.
Still on top of the previews just about every review gives you some sort of synopsis: about the plot.
I'd always prefer to be totally surprised.
That's why I wont read a review until after I've given a grade. Oftentimes I am shocked that the big boys loved some piece of crap or that everyone hated something that I really liked. Of course you know the old saying about assholes and opinions...
WSS
-
Of course you know the old saying about assholes and opinions...
Sometimes they are one and the same?

-
OK, As a SiyiFY fanatic and rare movie goer- I had to take a look at Gravity post Oscar to see what all the buzz was about. . As a long time Amateur Astronomer- and dabbler in celestial mechanics, I have two things to say:
1) The Special effects were cutting edge- to have you believe you were in zero gravity circling the Earth were astounding, never seen before CGI. BUT.
2) That movie SUCKED, on many levels. How it ever got a nomination for Best Picture is beyond me. Us guys who know a little about orbital mechanics- the whole premise of the movie was total BS. Even if you want to believe the Ruskies (or the US) had satellites in counter rotational orbits in the same altitude as the Hubble or IST (they don't) you're not going to be seeing enough space junk coming @ an effective 36,000 mph in the wrong direction to destroy both destroy a shuttle or the ISS.
3) I love ya as an actress Sandra, but that wasn't Oscar worthy. So you can fly both a Soyuz capsule and a Chinese escape pod without any training? I suppose I could push enough buttons to get 'em to do something too.
4) So count me that knows something about Space Reality- Gravity is as far fetched from real Space Reality as Star Trek. If you can enjoy it on that level- great- I give it a C- and a waste of my $6 PPV money.
-
I gave it a D+ and have no idea why it got so much traction. Mayy Sandra Bullock is popular among the Academy.
WSS
-
I will note that Gravity got most of its Oscars in the graphics/special effects categories.....except for the Director category.
And in that regard I don't think moviegoers are all that concerned about technical accuracy. There were worse flaws than that, which the common layman would know nothing about.
Like I said, the whole damsel in distress thing, and the whole "Captain, communications are down" thing were bigger flaws to me.
But OK, I will give it that it had great effects. Especially in the 3-D mode.
Hoorta: did you see the 3-D version?
-
I liked it. The effects were outstanding
-
I will note that Gravity got most of its Oscars in the graphics/special effects categories.....except for the Director category.
And in that regard I don't think moviegoers are all that concerned about technical accuracy. There were worse flaws than that, which the common layman would know nothing about.
Like I said, the whole damsel in distress thing, and the whole "Captain, communications are down" thing were bigger flaws to me.
But OK, I will give it that it had great effects. Especially in the 3-D mode.
Hoorta: did you see the 3-D version?
I will note that Gravity got most of its Oscars in the graphics/special effects categories.....except for the Director category.
And in that regard I don't think moviegoers are all that concerned about technical accuracy. There were worse flaws than that, which the common layman would know nothing about.
Like I said, the whole damsel in distress thing, and the whole "Captain, communications are down" thing were bigger flaws to me.
But OK, I will give it that it had great effects. Especially in the 3-D mode.
Hoorta: did you see the 3-D version?
No I didn't. I also sometimes read HiDefForum- and there's a thing about 3-D. 3-D really isn't 3-D- it's 2 simultaneous two dimensional images your brain has to process into a 3-D image. Some folks (including me) either can't do it at all, or do it poorly. I much preferred the 2-D version of Avatar to the 3-D version.

-
I will note that Gravity got most of its Oscars in the graphics/special effects categories.....except for the Director category.
And in that regard I don't think moviegoers are all that concerned about technical accuracy. There were worse flaws than that, which the common layman would know nothing about.
Like I said, the whole damsel in distress thing, and the whole "Captain, communications are down" thing were bigger flaws to me.
But OK, I will give it that it had great effects. Especially in the 3-D mode.
Hoorta: did you see the 3-D version?
No I didn't. I also sometimes read HiDefForum- and there's a thing about 3-D. 3-D really isn't 3-D- it's 2 simultaneous two dimensional images your brain has to process into a 3-D image. Some folks (including me) either can't do it at all, or do it poorly. I much preferred the 2-D version of Avatar to the 3-D version.

No I didn't. I also sometimes read HiDefForum- and there's a thing about 3-D. 3-D really isn't 3-D- it's 2 simultaneous two dimensional images your brain has to process into a 3-D image. Some folks (including me) either can't do it at all, or do it poorly. I much preferred the 2-D version of Avatar to the 3-D version.

OK, well, I guess that is like being color blind. I much preferred the 3-D version of those films, which I didn't think I would.
I just didn't like having to pay an extra 3.50 for the 3-D though.
-
Avatar in 3d was a treat
-
Avatar in 3d was a treat
Avatar in 3d was a treat
But it dragged a little and I was never anxious to see it again.
of course I see a lot of movies and special effects only impress me for a few minutes.
WSS
-
The movie wasn't great but the 3d effects were
-
The movie wasn't great but the 3d effects were
The movie wasn't great but the 3d effects were
And ya see, that's where I have trouble. Like the little gizmo of the Tree of Souls floating an inch away from your nose- against a very 2-D background- at least for us 3-D challenged folks. That's what I usually see watching a 3-D movie, three layers of 2-D images stacked on top of one another. Sucks, but until they come up with virtual holographic projection, I'm not inclined to pay the extra $$ to catch a 3-D flick at the movies. I tried again last summer catching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, and came away disappointed. I try to stay sort of cutting edge in my Man Cave Home Theater, but I have zero interest in adding a 3-D monitor toy.

-
The movie wasn't great but the 3d effects were
And ya see, that's where I have trouble. Like the little gizmo of the Tree of Souls floating an inch away from your nose- against a very 2-D background- at least for us 3-D challenged folks. That's what I usually see watching a 3-D movie, three layers of 2-D images stacked on top of one another. Sucks, but until they come up with virtual holographic projection, I'm not inclined to pay the extra $$ to catch a 3-D flick at the movies. I tried again last summer catching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, and came away disappointed. I try to stay sort of cutting edge in my Man Cave Home Theater, but I have zero interest in adding a 3-D monitor toy.

And ya see, that's where I have trouble. Like the little gizmo of the Tree of Souls floating an inch away from your nose- against a very 2-D background- at least for us 3-D challenged folks. That's what I usually see watching a 3-D movie, three layers of 2-D images stacked on top of one another. Sucks, but until they come up with virtual holographic projection, I'm not inclined to pay the extra $$ to catch a 3-D flick at the movies. I tried again last summer catching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, and came away disappointed. I try to stay sort of cutting edge in my Man Cave Home Theater, but I have zero interest in adding a 3-D monitor toy.

Do you guys have IMAX in the states? We have it here, it works as a sort of 3D experience, without the glasses, on a curved screen. You don't quite get the stuff flying at you like in Avatar (the only film I've seen in 3D so far) but it's pretty good.
-
And ya see, that's where I have trouble. Like the little gizmo of the Tree of Souls floating an inch away from your nose- against a very 2-D background- at least for us 3-D challenged folks. That's what I usually see watching a 3-D movie, three layers of 2-D images stacked on top of one another. Sucks, but until they come up with virtual holographic projection, I'm not inclined to pay the extra $$ to catch a 3-D flick at the movies. I tried again last summer catching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D, and came away disappointed. I try to stay sort of cutting edge in my Man Cave Home Theater, but I have zero interest in adding a 3-D monitor toy.

Do you guys have IMAX in the states? We have it here, it works as a sort of 3D experience, without the glasses, on a curved screen. You don't quite get the stuff flying at you like in Avatar (the only film I've seen in 3D so far) but it's pretty good.
-
gravity is a vignette featuring Hollywood superstars with a prime message of.........never give up. I think we all are bettered a bit by these feel good flicks and, as mentioned, the special effects were trippy
Thank Christ it was only an hour and twenty minutes long.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login