Skip to content

Mallet

The Browns Board
82 24 3.7k
  • And bridgewater don't play in a "true pro style offense" The last Qb that came out of college that ran a "true pro style Offense" was andrew luck.

  • @miktoxic said:

    so that basically leaves us with 2 propositions....

    hope hoyer comes back, don't spend both firts rounders (expecting gordon NOT to be traded) and fix other needs on both sides of the ball..

    OR

    spend the bank on a 'new' franchise QB and hope that he lives up to his college prowess.

    a lot of really relative thinking going to have to be discussed i.e. like vag said, is hoyer's miniscule body of work worth not picking a guy and hope he performs like he did when in this year or do we take that chance and break the bank on bridgewater or mariota?

    boyd INO just fell off the map with the whooping they took from a frosh QB who wde are not ever going to see in our draft sights timing wise.

    Man, which ever way we go, it's going to be a fun off season that's for sure. As we stand today, I'm 50/50 on which way to go. Maybe the bowl season will help me decide, as I don't give any credit to the combine........That's where the David Veikune's come from.

    @d-bone said:

    Man, which ever way we go, it's going to be a fun off season that's for sure. As we stand today, I'm 50/50 on which way to go.

    isn't it just total bullshit though that this is what we are discussing 7 weeks into a 16 week football schedule? like if weeden even showed a 'little' promise we could be talking about other things?

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

  • Manziel.

  • @d-bone said:

    Man, which ever way we go, it's going to be a fun off season that's for sure. As we stand today, I'm 50/50 on which way to go.

    isn't it just total bullshit though that this is what we are discussing 7 weeks into a 16 week football schedule? like if weeden even showed a 'little' promise we could be talking about other things?

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

    @miktoxic said:

    isn't it just total bullshit though that this is what we are discussing 7 weeks into a 16 week football schedule? like if weeden even showed a 'little' promise we could be talking about other things?

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

    Yup, absolutely makes me sick to my stomach to think what would be if Brian would've just slid the right way. I have no way to prove of course, but I have no doubt in my mind that we would be right there with KC as this year's feelgood story. It felt like the '80s again for those 2.1 games.

  • Manziel.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Manziel.

    ok, i'll make my own bed now. if 'whoever' picks manziel and he turns into johnny football in the NFL i will gladly eat crow and send you a 6 of the best brew you can think of,

    but at the same time if he shits the bed i expect the same from you.

    just don't see him on the next level except 2 games and a body bag.

    bet?

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Manziel.

    ok, i'll make my own bed now. if 'whoever' picks manziel and he turns into johnny football in the NFL i will gladly eat crow and send you a 6 of the best brew you can think of,

    but at the same time if he shits the bed i expect the same from you.

    just don't see him on the next level except 2 games and a body bag.

    bet?

    @miktoxic said:

    ok, i'll make my own bed now. if 'whoever' picks manziel and he turns into johnny football in the NFL i will gladly eat crow and send you a 6 of the best brew you can think of,

    but at the same time if he shits the bed i expect the same from you.

    just don't see him on the next level except 2 games and a body bag.

    bet?

    I agree with you. Not only because he isn't big enough but also because I think his attitude is not going to work at the next level.

  • @d-bone said:

    Man, which ever way we go, it's going to be a fun off season that's for sure. As we stand today, I'm 50/50 on which way to go.

    isn't it just total bullshit though that this is what we are discussing 7 weeks into a 16 week football schedule? like if weeden even showed a 'little' promise we could be talking about other things?

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

    @miktoxic said:

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

    It has been and it's because our FO's have consistently made terrible choices at the QB position. There are plenty of other mistakes but those pale in comparison to our horrendous QB play on the field.

  • Bridgewater is absolutely playing NFL quarterback right now. SO polished. He could step onto our team today and improve our team 100%, easily.

    Mariota has HUGE arm talent: Great release, great spin, great accuracy, great velocity, makes every throw. And when has he looked bad in the pocket? I feel like you're dinging him for being too fast or something.

    Manziel worked really hard in the offseason with Whitfield and it shows. He's way more comfortable in the pocket. And I don't agree that he has a noodle arm. He has more arm than McCoy and WAY more "It Factor." He's special. I'm admittedly more curious to see how his game translates than certain. I'd feel better if we got one of the top two guys... but I sure as hell would be intrigued by Manziel. You can't help but be. He's a blast.

    After that I start getting concerned. Tajh lost my vote. Always a little iffy on Hundley but more now. Not into another DA/Weeden type in Mettenberger. AJ and Aaron are light in the arm, basically Andy Dalton types lacking much upside talent. McCarron still isn't being asked to win games for his team which scares me a lot.

    I still think there are some late risers coming, too. Carr's already shooting up, along with the Baylor kid (so fresh I don't know his name yet).

  • Bryce Petty is the Baylor QB this year. Baylor has played no one so far this year and Nick Florence started over him in Pettys 3rd year in the system....I expect his name to fall as fast as it has risen.

  • Bridgewater is absolutely playing NFL quarterback right now. SO polished. He could step onto our team today and improve our team 100%, easily.

    Mariota has HUGE arm talent: Great release, great spin, great accuracy, great velocity, makes every throw. And when has he looked bad in the pocket? I feel like you're dinging him for being too fast or something.

    Manziel worked really hard in the offseason with Whitfield and it shows. He's way more comfortable in the pocket. And I don't agree that he has a noodle arm. He has more arm than McCoy and WAY more "It Factor." He's special. I'm admittedly more curious to see how his game translates than certain. I'd feel better if we got one of the top two guys... but I sure as hell would be intrigued by Manziel. You can't help but be. He's a blast.

    After that I start getting concerned. Tajh lost my vote. Always a little iffy on Hundley but more now. Not into another DA/Weeden type in Mettenberger. AJ and Aaron are light in the arm, basically Andy Dalton types lacking much upside talent. McCarron still isn't being asked to win games for his team which scares me a lot.

    I still think there are some late risers coming, too. Carr's already shooting up, along with the Baylor kid (so fresh I don't know his name yet).

    @shep said:

    Bridgewater is absolutely playing NFL quarterback right now. SO polished. He could step onto our team today and improve our team 100%, easily.

    Mariota has HUGE arm talent: Great release, great spin, great accuracy, great velocity, makes every throw. And when has he looked bad in the pocket? I feel like you're dinging him for being too fast or something.

    Manziel worked really hard in the offseason with Whitfield and it shows. He's way more comfortable in the pocket. And I don't agree that he has a noodle arm. He has more arm than McCoy and WAY more "It Factor." He's special. I'm admittedly more curious to see how his game translates than certain. I'd feel better if we got one of the top two guys... but I sure as hell would be intrigued by Manziel. You can't help but be. He's a blast.

    Not sure who your talking to Shep but you not even recognizing the brains portion and I think that's what TCPO is saying. You like fast legs that throws lasers. Like I said I'll take a guy with a mind for the game over the other 2. But no I don't hate mariota I was actually talking about him when you had Boyd and Bridge as your #1's.
  • yeah if we do go franchise QB and have to give up alittle more than need be desired....i'm leaning mariota.

    even though the acc has become better, i think the oregon schedule and style of play would have their QB more NFL ready.

  • Zombo said:

    When is Jameis Winston available for the draft, 2014? Scary good.

    Zombo

    he's a red-shirt freshman. i'd think he's be available in 2 years.

    so you either have the FO thinking that hoyer might come back 100% and be good enough with some backup scrub to get us through 2 more agonizing years on offense (weapons) that we could shore up the right side of the OL, get another WR, a serious CB and a RB.

    if not, they're going all in on someone next year.

    the biggest bust class of QBs in decades.

    @miktoxic said:

    he's a red-shirt freshman. i'd think he's be available in 2 years.

    so you either have the FO thinking that hoyer might come back 100% and be good enough with some backup scrub to get us through 2 more agonizing years on offense (weapons) that we could shore up the right side of the OL, get another WR, a serious CB and a RB.

    if not, they're going all in on someone next year.

    the biggest bust class of QBs in decades.

    Totally agree on this years qb class, although i do like Mccarron out of alabama. I think the browns 100 percent go with hoyer OR trade some picks and get cousins from washington.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I agree with you. This division has, right now, all the prototypical pocket passers at QB: BR/Flacco/Dalton/and Weeden. I think for next year these guys will want to revise that mix and go after one of these zone read/running QB types. Be that Mariota/Boyd/ Etc. they will want to be the "different" team in the division.

    Do you really believe the read option is the future? It's not and it's the reason you see guys like Kaep getting pulled back because of potential for injury.

    @vagitron said:

    Do you really believe the read option is the future? It's not and it's the reason you see guys like Kaep getting pulled back because of potential for injury.

    It's ironic that the NFL QB who has had the most measurable success in a zone read option offense is currently "unemployable". The 2011 Broncos with their playoff run led by Captain

    Tebow was seen by many as a significant milestones of league history. Tebow was the prototypical QB, combining a powerful 250 lbs with speed and

    agility. Before, there had been other QB's that seemed to thrive. M Vick had the ability to go vertical yet his 210 lbs didn't match up well with 290 lb linemen and LB's who had the tools to

    run his dog fighting ass down . RGIII had the same problems as Vick. His athleticism and intelligence couldn't compensate for the obvious durability issues. Zone read option offenses will

    go the way of the Wildpussy (cat). Call it the flavor of the week. Eugenics is a valid solution. Sadly, Hitler's aggressive use of the science ruined it for rest of the universe,

  • Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him. Bring me someone that hasn't already proved to be a failure to run this offense NOW not next year. Eight days left until the trade deadline work some magic.

    @jcam222 said:

    Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him. Bring me someone that hasn't already proved to be a failure to run this offense NOW not next year. Eight days left until the trade deadline work some magic.

    Good thinking. Hey why not trade both firsts a second 2 thirds Joe Thomas and Gordon?

    WSS

  • no on mallet.

    i'd prefer they get a guy who can read a defense and is a min. 6'4".

    someone smart enough to call an audible and quick enough to step up in the pocket when needed.

    being a non-redneck is a bonus, being a vanilla ice wanna be is out also.....

  • the problem is no one knows what mallet is right now.

    no one will know as long is brady is playing.

    i don't get the comments of him not being tall enough, the dude is 6' 6" and 245 lbs. the dude could be the next aaron rodgers. i don't know. i know he's been sitting behind a HOF for the last 2 years.

    vanilla ice wanna be? isn't that everyone right now? 😎

  • Grossi is saying over and over that the Browns will do the right thing and get their guy at the top of the draft as opposed to looking to turn someone else's backup into a star.

    And whoever's saying it... I'm a HUGE fan of brains on a quarterback. I've written a billion words on it and been shredded over believing the Wonderlic or some version of a "book smart" test does matter because NFL playbooks are advanced calculus these days. You want your QB to SEEM smart, too. And fiery as opposed to sleepy. Did you see Stafford the other day? He was going all Tom Brady (or Unitas or Marino) on his team. Plus, he got like a 35 on his Wonderlic and has the best arm in the league.

    Tell me a QB isn't bright (looking at you VY and DA) and I know he's pretty well doomed. RG3 seems like a leader who would walk through fire to win. Russell Wilson seems like he teaches advanced chemistry in his spare time and could do standup if he wanted to (much like Aaron Rodgers, also in the 30s on his test). Conversely Josh Freeman seems a little tired most of the time and didn't even get voted captain of his team. Not good. Seriously not good.

    Weeden may be smarter than he sounds and less sleepy than his body language suggests but both things matter HUGELY. He doesn't seem like The Guy. He's not a leader of men. And that's in addition to the fact he sucks ass.

    Bridgewater is about as classy as it gets. He says all the right things, keeps a clean record, and his teammates love him. Mariota is having one of the best seasons in football history (19 pass TDs, 8 rush TDs, 0 interceptions and a Pac 12 record with 260 passes without a pick, etc.). You wanna scout him, he's facing Jim Mora and an excellent UCLA defense on Saturday. Mora says watching tape of Mariota is a horror show. He's that good. USA Today has him #1 overall this morning.

    As for Manziel, I'm leaning into the gang that thinks the right coach will make him a Human Highlight Reel. He's got magic in him to be sure. Chip Kelly recruited the hell out of him (and got a brief commit)... and that would be a match made in heaven.

    Carr will end up in the first round, probably Mettenberger, too. Bryce Petty will rise fast and has one of the best arms in the draft. But I think the Browns will shoot for Bridgewater or Mariota off a trade. I think it's too much to ask for Gabbert to change Jacksonville's mind but I think Glennon has a shot for TB, which might give us a path to Mariota.

  • I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

  • no on mallet.

    i'd prefer they get a guy who can read a defense and is a min. 6'4".

    someone smart enough to call an audible and quick enough to step up in the pocket when needed.

    being a non-redneck is a bonus, being a vanilla ice wanna be is out also.....

    @hammertime said:

    no on mallet.

    i'd prefer they get a guy who can read a defense and is a min. 6'4".

    someone smart enough to call an audible and quick enough to step up in the pocket when needed.

    being a non-redneck is a bonus, being a vanilla ice wanna be is out also.....

    Only problem is..no audible system in Norv Turners offense...

  • I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.