Skip to content

Mallet

The Browns Board
82 24 3.7k
  • I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

  • no on mallet.

    i'd prefer they get a guy who can read a defense and is a min. 6'4".

    someone smart enough to call an audible and quick enough to step up in the pocket when needed.

    being a non-redneck is a bonus, being a vanilla ice wanna be is out also.....

    @hammertime said:

    no on mallet.

    i'd prefer they get a guy who can read a defense and is a min. 6'4".

    someone smart enough to call an audible and quick enough to step up in the pocket when needed.

    being a non-redneck is a bonus, being a vanilla ice wanna be is out also.....

    Only problem is..no audible system in Norv Turners offense...

  • I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.

    My example of Joey Harrington was an example of the last decent NFL QB to come out of there. Every QB they've had since then has put up good to great numbers and exactly zero of them have amounted to anything in the NFL.

    And you are right, teams do take pieces from their offense. Pieces.

    Their offense is predicated on being the faster team on the field. That's the staple of their offense-run by everyone. In the NFL, that won't happen.

    Mariota has the size and speed to be a good NFL QB but he's shown me exactly nothing to maker believe he will be. He has no pressure...ever. When the pocket does start to collapse, he's already 5 yards downfield. When his first option isn't five yards behind the safety, he checks down to the RB that's either blocked and released or flared out to the flanks. There's literally only two or three examples I've found of him throwing to a covered receiver that wasn't a check down.

    Of course, he has the physical tools. But that's not then entire story.

  • @miktoxic said:

    isn't it just total bullshit though that this is what we are discussing 7 weeks into a 16 week football schedule? like if weeden even showed a 'little' promise we could be talking about other things?

    it seems like it's been groundhog day for 15 years now.

    Yup, absolutely makes me sick to my stomach to think what would be if Brian would've just slid the right way. I have no way to prove of course, but I have no doubt in my mind that we would be right there with KC as this year's feelgood story. It felt like the '80s again for those 2.1 games.

    @d-bone said:

    Yup, absolutely makes me sick to my stomach to think what would be if Brian would've just slid the right way. I have no way to prove of course, but I have no doubt in my mind that we would be right there with KC as this year's feelgood story. It felt like the '80s again for those 2.1 games.

    It really did and soon as BW came back in My heart just sunk...but we won despite him that game..

  • @jcam222 said:

    Sooooooo isn't Ryan Mallet a secret love child of Lombardis? Never thought I would say it but PLEAESEEEEEE pull the trigger. Do it, trade a 2nd and Campbell for him. Trade a 1st and Campbell for him. Bring me someone that hasn't already proved to be a failure to run this offense NOW not next year. Eight days left until the trade deadline work some magic.

    Good thinking. Hey why not trade both firsts a second 2 thirds Joe Thomas and Gordon?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Good thinking. Hey why not trade both firsts a second 2 thirds Joe Thomas and Gordon?

    WSS

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm. I don't get enough of that shit at work already. When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today". A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Good thinking. Hey why not trade both firsts a second 2 thirds Joe Thomas and Gordon?

    WSS

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm. I don't get enough of that shit at work already. When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today". A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

    @jcam222 said:

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm. I don't get enough of that shit at work already. When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today". A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

    It's not happening. Drop it.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm. I don't get enough of that shit at work already. When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today". A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

    It's not happening. Drop it.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's not happening. Drop it.

    LOL when you start signing my paycheck you can tell me to drop it. I don't give a fuck if we sign him or not. I am quite sure you are right and its not going to happen. It is valid conversation though and I don't need to take shit off someone because they don't happen to agree.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.

    My example of Joey Harrington was an example of the last decent NFL QB to come out of there. Every QB they've had since then has put up good to great numbers and exactly zero of them have amounted to anything in the NFL.

    And you are right, teams do take pieces from their offense. Pieces.

    Their offense is predicated on being the faster team on the field. That's the staple of their offense-run by everyone. In the NFL, that won't happen.

    Mariota has the size and speed to be a good NFL QB but he's shown me exactly nothing to maker believe he will be. He has no pressure...ever. When the pocket does start to collapse, he's already 5 yards downfield. When his first option isn't five yards behind the safety, he checks down to the RB that's either blocked and released or flared out to the flanks. There's literally only two or three examples I've found of him throwing to a covered receiver that wasn't a check down.

    Of course, he has the physical tools. But that's not then entire story.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    My example of Joey Harrington was an example of the last decent NFL QB to come out of there. Every QB they've had since then has put up good to great numbers and exactly zero of them have amounted to anything in the NFL.

    And you are right, teams do take pieces from their offense. Pieces.

    Their offense is predicated on being the faster team on the field. That's the staple of their offense-run by everyone. In the NFL, that won't happen.

    Mariota has the size and speed to be a good NFL QB but he's shown me exactly nothing to maker believe he will be. He has no pressure...ever. When the pocket does start to collapse, he's already 5 yards downfield. When his first option isn't five yards behind the safety, he checks down to the RB that's either blocked and released or flared out to the flanks. There's literally only two or three examples I've found of him throwing to a covered receiver that wasn't a check down.

    Of course, he has the physical tools. But that's not then entire story.

    Yeah, I wouldn't sell out for him, but if he does good in the interviews and tests out good, we could do a lot worse.
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's not happening. Drop it.

    LOL when you start signing my paycheck you can tell me to drop it. I don't give a fuck if we sign him or not. I am quite sure you are right and its not going to happen. It is valid conversation though and I don't need to take shit off someone because they don't happen to agree.

    @jcam222 said:

    LOL when you start signing my paycheck you can tell me to drop it. I don't give a fuck if we sign him or not. I am quite sure you are right and its not going to happen. It is valid conversation though and I don't need to take shit off someone because they don't happen to agree.

    The people who pay you tell you what to do?

    So you're a whipping bitch.

    That explains a lot about you, actually.

  • I know theres no sense in nitpicking our backup qb but if we know the stats for what weedens and hoyers release time is, what is campells?

    it didn't seem like he was getting rid of the ball that much quicker than weeds.

    (no I don't want weeden in there )

  • I know theres no sense in nitpicking our backup qb but if we know the stats for what weedens and hoyers release time is, what is campells?

    it didn't seem like he was getting rid of the ball that much quicker than weeds.

    (no I don't want weeden in there )

    @hammertime said:

    I know theres no sense in nitpicking our backup qb but if we know the stats for what weedens and hoyers release time is, what is campells?

    it didn't seem like he was getting rid of the ball that much quicker than weeds.

    (no I don't want weeden in there )

    He tends to take his share of sacks. His career sack percentenge is 6.5. This year, Hoyer was 5.9 and Weeden 9.7

    Kosar was 7.5.

    Brady 4.9, Brees 3.7 Manning 3.3.

    The average this year is around 6.5, so Campbell seems average in that regard.

    However, when he does throw, he is a career 60.8% passer Weeds was 52.8% this year. That is a big difference.

    He also has 1,000+ career rushing yards, so he can take off is there is a glaring hole.

    Just the completion percentage difference allows for four more completions per week, which is four times the defense stays off the field, and we are back in competitive football games to the end again.

    Zombo

  • @westside-steve said:

    Good thinking. Hey why not trade both firsts a second 2 thirds Joe Thomas and Gordon?

    WSS

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm. I don't get enough of that shit at work already. When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today". A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

    @jcam222 said:

    Steve thanks so much for the heavy and unwarranted sarcasm.

    Glad to be of service.

    I don't get enough of that shit at work already.

    Maybe you should talk to your supervisor?

    When I posted this I thought to myself "I will post this so someone can give me more shit today".

    And it worked. Glad to see the plan paid off.

    A second round pick and Campbell isn't close to mortgaging our future.

    Well you upped it to a first in the same post. Campbell isn't really worth anything. So (says I) a first might be a little steep.

    That's all.

    To those who KNOW Mallet isn't any good. congrats you should be employed by an NFL team making a very nice salary based on your skill. And they could share an office with the guys that think he's a franchise quarterback and easily worth a first round pick and a starting player.

    Most of us may think he is not elite but none of us know. Belichek must think he is decent as the backup to Brady. He thought the same about Hoyer.

    Then again he shitcanned Hoyer. And as much as I'd like to see him kick ass the book is a short one.

    And it's still open.

    That's all.

    🙂

    WSS

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't trust any QB coming out of Oregon since Joey Harrington. That's not a bias, it's because they aren't true QB's.

    Oregon has stocked their roster with so much speed at every position and play such an unconventional style that their QB's don't face true defenses. Opposing teams are forced to keep their nickel backs on the field the entire game, and normally field a spy for the game's duration as well.

    The Oregon system kills QB's. They take players with genuine talent and let them post fantastic numbers in college, but when they reach the pros they are further behind the ball than players from other programs.

    I implore you to see reason, Shep. You're infatuated with his speed and arm size and numbers, but he hasn't shown qualities of being a successful NFL QB yet. Graham Harrell's production is unrivaled in college football, but he was playing from a system about as unconventional as Oregon's.

    That's not saying Mariota doesn't have potential, but he's not even close to being an NFL ready QB.

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I don't get your hatred for Oregon QB's. The only example you have is Joey Harrington and he played there in like what, 2003-5? That was a completely different system then, and there's been bigger busts than Harrington. You talk about the offense they run like every coach in the NFL isn't takin pieces from it and implementing it themselves. Chip Kelly had tons of coaches from the NFL bangin on his door trying to learn somethin from him. That got him where he is now. Sure they haven't produced a good QB yet but not a single one of them has had the talent of Mariota. The kid is for real. He has all the tools so it really just comes down to mental capacity and dedication. He's a gamer though.

    Dan Fouts and Norm Van Brocklin both played at Oregon. Both HOF QBs.

  • It's not the school, it's the QB. Oregon has had a lot of undersized running QBs who could throw a little. They've never had anybody like Mariota, at least for a very long time.

    Great comparison between Mariota and Bridgewater by Matt Miller. I saw it on Bleacher Report but I know he also writes for NFL.com and is really diligent. He has Bridgewater as the second highest rated QB prospect of the last five years, behind only Andrew Luck. Mariota is next. He thinks they're that good.

  • It's not the school, it's the QB. Oregon has had a lot of undersized running QBs who could throw a little. They've never had anybody like Mariota, at least for a very long time.

    Great comparison between Mariota and Bridgewater by Matt Miller. I saw it on Bleacher Report but I know he also writes for NFL.com and is really diligent. He has Bridgewater as the second highest rated QB prospect of the last five years, behind only Andrew Luck. Mariota is next. He thinks they're that good.

    @shep said:

    It's not the school, it's the QB. Oregon has had a lot of undersized running QBs who could throw a little. They've never had anybody like Mariota, at least for a very long time.

    Great comparison between Mariota and Bridgewater by Matt Miller. I saw it on Bleacher Report but I know he also writes for NFL.com and is really diligent. He has Bridgewater as the second highest rated QB prospect of the last five years, behind only Andrew Luck. Mariota is next. He thinks they're that good.

    Mariota will go top 5. Browns will not be selecting in top 5 unless they move up. Of course, they acquired that #1 pick from the Colts just for the purpose of using it to move up.

    Jags need a QB

    Bucs need a QB....unless they think Glennon is the real thing.

    Vikings may want a QB.

    I think the Texans will want a QB.

    Maybe Oakland too.

    The Bears might need one as Cutler I think will be a FA

    Plus the Browns.

    That is one quarter of the league right there, so the Browns will have some serious competition for a QB in the draft.

  • Don't forget that every other team knows the Browns are walking around with pockets full of cash and pics. That means they are all going to yap about how bad they need the quarterback we want, whether they do or not. Just to drive up the price.

    WSS

  • @shep said:

    It's not the school, it's the QB. Oregon has had a lot of undersized running QBs who could throw a little. They've never had anybody like Mariota, at least for a very long time.

    Great comparison between Mariota and Bridgewater by Matt Miller. I saw it on Bleacher Report but I know he also writes for NFL.com and is really diligent. He has Bridgewater as the second highest rated QB prospect of the last five years, behind only Andrew Luck. Mariota is next. He thinks they're that good.

    Mariota will go top 5. Browns will not be selecting in top 5 unless they move up. Of course, they acquired that #1 pick from the Colts just for the purpose of using it to move up.

    Jags need a QB

    Bucs need a QB....unless they think Glennon is the real thing.

    Vikings may want a QB.

    I think the Texans will want a QB.

    Maybe Oakland too.

    The Bears might need one as Cutler I think will be a FA

    Plus the Browns.

    That is one quarter of the league right there, so the Browns will have some serious competition for a QB in the draft.

    @the-gipper said:

    Mariota will go top 5. Browns will not be selecting in top 5 unless they move up. Of course, they acquired that #1 pick from the Colts just for the purpose of using it to move up.

    Jags need a QB

    Bucs need a QB....unless they think Glennon is the real thing.

    Vikings may want a QB.

    I think the Texans will want a QB.

    Maybe Oakland too.

    The Bears might need one as Cutler I think will be a FA

    Plus the Browns.

    That is one quarter of the league right there, so the Browns will have some serious competition for a QB in the draft.

    Lions, maybe, Bradford's recovery dependent. Eagles if they have a bad season will surely have some interest in at least Mariota.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Mariota will go top 5. Browns will not be selecting in top 5 unless they move up. Of course, they acquired that #1 pick from the Colts just for the purpose of using it to move up.

    Jags need a QB

    Bucs need a QB....unless they think Glennon is the real thing.

    Vikings may want a QB.

    I think the Texans will want a QB.

    Maybe Oakland too.

    The Bears might need one as Cutler I think will be a FA

    Plus the Browns.

    That is one quarter of the league right there, so the Browns will have some serious competition for a QB in the draft.

    Lions, maybe, Bradford's recovery dependent. Eagles if they have a bad season will surely have some interest in at least Mariota.

    @gftchris said:

    Lions, maybe, Bradford's recovery dependent. Eagles if they have a bad season will surely have some interest in at least Mariota.

    Certainly given that Kelly was his college coach. Though I don't think the Lions are dissatisfied with Stafford, so I am not sure why you include them.

  • @gftchris said:

    Lions, maybe, Bradford's recovery dependent. Eagles if they have a bad season will surely have some interest in at least Mariota.

    Certainly given that Kelly was his college coach. Though I don't think the Lions are dissatisfied with Stafford, so I am not sure why you include them.

    @the-gipper said:

    Certainly given that Kelly was his college coach. Though I don't think the Lions are dissatisfied with Stafford, so I am not sure why you include them.

    Dependent on his recovery, I said. If they don't feel he's making progress, or going to be back where he was, they'll look at other options. Like our FO will, despite Hoyer playing well when he came in (smaller sample set, of course).