Cap Space - 2009
-
Masters said:
I thik most hate on Wright was for him seeing as much time on 3rd down, while Harrison was never seeing the field. Wright is a solid guy, and good to have as #3 on the depth chart, along with ST. Just he shouldn't be taking time away from Harrison is all.REALLY well said Masters! I actually LIKED Jason Wright but I preferred to see Harrison carrying the ball. Wright is a better STs guy and there is value to keeping him around as a #3 should we experience any injuries. I'd really like us to draft a RB like Marlon Lucky from Nebraska if he falls on our doorstep. I liked what I saw and there's one of those guys that wants to prove he's a gem like Steve Slaton did.
- Tom F.
REALLY well said Masters! I actually LIKED Jason Wright but I preferred to see Harrison carrying the ball. Wright is a better STs guy and there is value to keeping him around as a #3 should we experience any injuries. I'd really like us to draft a RB like Marlon Lucky from Nebraska if he falls on our doorstep. I liked what I saw and there's one of those guys that wants to prove he's a gem like Steve Slaton did.
- Tom F.
I think Wright is a solid #3 and is valued as a blocking back and special teamer as well. I don't want to see him go if we take a back, I'd rather to see Lewis go instead for diminishing skills and cap room.
-
Harrison is going to be a beast in this league... on our roster or someone elses. I really like the Idea of moving Harrison to the #1 spot and Keeping Lewis as a short yardage/3rd down Back. I compare Harrison to Westbrook in ways. Especially with Quinn and his short/screen passes... Harrison is our guy! I have no idea why he hasnt gotten more touches. Lewis is not done yet either.... we have the making of our very own Earth Wind and Fire if we utilize our players right!
-
REALLY well said Masters! I actually LIKED Jason Wright but I preferred to see Harrison carrying the ball. Wright is a better STs guy and there is value to keeping him around as a #3 should we experience any injuries. I'd really like us to draft a RB like Marlon Lucky from Nebraska if he falls on our doorstep. I liked what I saw and there's one of those guys that wants to prove he's a gem like Steve Slaton did.
- Tom F.
If nothing else, I'd like to see Harrison get his shot at carrying the load. I really think he is DeAngelo Williams in waiting.
Masters said:
If nothing else, I'd like to see Harrison get his shot at carrying the load. I really think he is DeAngelo Williams in waiting.Im really fond of harrison as well but i honestly dont think he has the size and he really isnt durable enough to take the pounding of an every down back..dont get me wrong i would love to see him get a chance to prove me wrong and do it but the odds are he wouldnt last long before he gets hurt..
We are in the sewer on cap guys its going to be interesting to see what kokinis and mangini can do to improve it and who they decide to keep and who they have to let go...

-
Yeah, I never like how people view size as some guarantee of injury, or the lack thereof. Kevin Faulk never gets hurt. He's small. Brian Westbrook does. He's small. Warrick Dunn has played for years as a skinny short guy. Fred Taylor was big and got hurt often. Terrell Davis was big and couldn't even finish his career out. You know, like Barry Sanders did. Who was small.
Some people are injury prone, and some aren't. It doesn't have much to do with size.
So when the draft types look at a small guy and say, "He can't take a NFL beating" I always want to say, "How do you know?" All you can do is look at how well they took it in college.
Beanie Wells is a big back who is hurt a lot. He seems injury prone to me. I wouldn't use a high pick on him because of it. And he's not small.
Knowshon Moreno doesn't scare me that way, and he's not that big.
It's just a lazy thing sportswriters say.
-
No one back is going to be able to hold up an entire NFL season plus playoffs. RB is the most violent position in the NFL, with a 16+ game schedule "workhorse" is a dated train of thought. No one single back take the beating and stay healthy all year. You need at least 2 backs to split the carries to keep them both healthy.
Kevin Faulk has always split carries and stayed healthy.
Fred Taylor was always the only back and was always hurt, what happened when you added Drew-Jones down there? Healthy.
Brian Westbrook? Single back, all the carries, always hurt.
Remember that Peterson guy? A little conditioning and add that Chester guy we wanted to split the reps and he's FINE now.
Beanie Wells is going to be just fine so long as he's not used as a workhorse.
The question isn't "Can this guy take an NFL beating?", it's "How much of an NFL beating one can take and still stay healthy?"
-
@shepwrite said:
Yeah, having two backs is vogue and also sensible. It's mostly a disposable position where you get the guy's best five years and let him move on. They're always plentiful.I never understood limiting him to 3-4 carries a game. We gotta new coaching staff now so hopefully he'll be more than just a sideline mannequin. I'm REALLY bored of the BIG backs that never hit the home run (Droughns and Lewis). It's why we've been ridiculously easy to matchup with.
- Tom F.
-
Harrison is going to be a beast in this league... on our roster or someone elses. I really like the Idea of moving Harrison to the #1 spot and Keeping Lewis as a short yardage/3rd down Back. I compare Harrison to Westbrook in ways. Especially with Quinn and his short/screen passes... Harrison is our guy! I have no idea why he hasnt gotten more touches. Lewis is not done yet either.... we have the making of our very own Earth Wind and Fire if we utilize our players right!
Harrison is going to be a beast in this league... on our roster or someone elses. I really like the Idea of moving Harrison to the #1 spot and Keeping Lewis as a short yardage/3rd down Back. I compare Harrison to Westbrook in ways. Especially with Quinn and his short/screen passes... Harrison is our guy! I have no idea why he hasnt gotten more touches. Lewis is not done yet either.... we have the making of our very own Earth Wind and Fire if we utilize our players right!
I'm not for keeping Lewis around as a 3rd down back or limited carry power back at $6.4 million for 2009.
-
i like lewis but think we are not getting the most bang for our buck with him. The RB position as just an opinion is always loaded with talent around the league with more than enough coming in every year.
I like harrison as a starter using wright as a breather and drafting mid to low rounds for another rb. I think our play calling and blocking schemes is what needs to adjust the most in order to have a complementary running game.
That money Lewis is getting paid can cover a new draftee rb and signing a top lb draft prospect.
-
i like lewis but think we are not getting the most bang for our buck with him. The RB position as just an opinion is always loaded with talent around the league with more than enough coming in every year.
I like harrison as a starter using wright as a breather and drafting mid to low rounds for another rb. I think our play calling and blocking schemes is what needs to adjust the most in order to have a complementary running game.
That money Lewis is getting paid can cover a new draftee rb and signing a top lb draft prospect.
i like lewis but think we are not getting the most bang for our buck with him. The RB position as just an opinion is always loaded with talent around the league with more than enough coming in every year.
I like harrison as a starter using wright as a breather and drafting mid to low rounds for another rb. I think our play calling and blocking schemes is what needs to adjust the most in order to have a complementary running game.
That money Lewis is getting paid can cover a new draftee rb and signing a top lb draft prospect.
Absolutely, Lewis is too slow hitting the hole and Fraley can't get to the second level to seal the gap. So we do need a power RB but we also need a center. I know it isn't a sexy pick but Alex Mack most likely will be there in the second round. Most experts are saying he is the best center to come out in the draft since Mangold.
Bottom line is that they need to obtain more draft picks in the top 100.
-
@shepwrite said:
I have center and tailback high on our needs list, along with a pair of linebackers and a WR.A Safety if they decide not to keep Jones. I just don't know about Stallworth's contract specifics. How much of it is guaranteed and what was his original signing bonus? I think he got a pretty good size bonus and we could take a good cap hit to cut him loose.
-
I agree that Jamal should be gone, we dont need him after we get Jennings.
I hope we keep Donte Stallworth for another year, he's truely a good receiver.
We better not let Tucker go, he is our best lineman (including JT)
We have to keep Winslow, he is still a monster and loves these fans, he's a gamer and a soldier.
Please get rid of Andra Davis
get rid of brodney pool... PLEASE!!
get rid of cousin!
get rid of Jason Wright!
-
I agree that Jamal should be gone, we dont need him after we get Jennings.
I hope we keep Donte Stallworth for another year, he's truely a good receiver.
We better not let Tucker go, he is our best lineman (including JT)
We have to keep Winslow, he is still a monster and loves these fans, he's a gamer and a soldier.
Please get rid of Andra Davis
get rid of brodney pool... PLEASE!!
get rid of cousin!
get rid of Jason Wright!
I agree that Jamal should be gone, we dont need him after we get Jennings.
I hope we keep Donte Stallworth for another year, he's truely a good receiver.
We better not let Tucker go, he is our best lineman (including JT)
We have to keep Winslow, he is still a monster and loves these fans, he's a gamer and a soldier.
Please get rid of Andra Davis
get rid of brodney pool... PLEASE!!
get rid of cousin!
get rid of Jason Wright!
We won't keep Lewis for $6.4 million and don't put all your marbles in one bag with Jennings unless we can get some other picks. Stallworth will stay only if he is contract/cap friendly. Tucker is a definate as long as he is healthy. Winslow has been harping about a new contract for a year and asked to be traded last year. Let's see how he is with the new staff and FO. Mangini won't take any shit from him or Edwards. Davis, McGinest and Wright are UFAs and won't be back. Cousins is gone, but Pool is the closest thing we have to a real safety on this team. He has to be a keeper because Jones is a FA and wants big bucks for at least 4 years.
IMO, S. Smith will be shopped, Fraley released, Peek needs to rework his contract or he is gone, Orr will be gone and I personally think they will shop Winslow and DA.
-
I agree that Jamal should be gone, we dont need him after we get Jennings.
I hope we keep Donte Stallworth for another year, he's truely a good receiver.
We better not let Tucker go, he is our best lineman (including JT)
We have to keep Winslow, he is still a monster and loves these fans, he's a gamer and a soldier.
Please get rid of Andra Davis
get rid of brodney pool... PLEASE!!
get rid of cousin!
get rid of Jason Wright!
We won't keep Lewis for $6.4 million and don't put all your marbles in one bag with Jennings unless we can get some other picks. Stallworth will stay only if he is contract/cap friendly. Tucker is a definate as long as he is healthy. Winslow has been harping about a new contract for a year and asked to be traded last year. Let's see how he is with the new staff and FO. Mangini won't take any shit from him or Edwards. Davis, McGinest and Wright are UFAs and won't be back. Cousins is gone, but Pool is the closest thing we have to a real safety on this team. He has to be a keeper because Jones is a FA and wants big bucks for at least 4 years.
IMO, S. Smith will be shopped, Fraley released, Peek needs to rework his contract or he is gone, Orr will be gone and I personally think they will shop Winslow and DA.
We won't keep Lewis for $6.4 million and don't put all your marbles in one bag with Jennings unless we can get some other picks. Stallworth will stay only if he is contract/cap friendly. Tucker is a definate as long as he is healthy. Winslow has been harping about a new contract for a year and asked to be traded last year. Let's see how he is with the new staff and FO. Mangini won't take any shit from him or Edwards. Davis, McGinest and Wright are UFAs and won't be back. Cousins is gone, but Pool is the closest thing we have to a real safety on this team. He has to be a keeper because Jones is a FA and wants big bucks for at least 4 years.
IMO, S. Smith will be shopped, Fraley released, Peek needs to rework his contract or he is gone, Orr will be gone and I personally think they will shop Winslow and DA.
No way in hell we release fraley unless we draft the best center in second round....even then we don't release him...ludicris
-
We won't keep Lewis for $6.4 million and don't put all your marbles in one bag with Jennings unless we can get some other picks. Stallworth will stay only if he is contract/cap friendly. Tucker is a definate as long as he is healthy. Winslow has been harping about a new contract for a year and asked to be traded last year. Let's see how he is with the new staff and FO. Mangini won't take any shit from him or Edwards. Davis, McGinest and Wright are UFAs and won't be back. Cousins is gone, but Pool is the closest thing we have to a real safety on this team. He has to be a keeper because Jones is a FA and wants big bucks for at least 4 years.
IMO, S. Smith will be shopped, Fraley released, Peek needs to rework his contract or he is gone, Orr will be gone and I personally think they will shop Winslow and DA.
No way in hell we release fraley unless we draft the best center in second round....even then we don't release him...ludicris
No way in hell we release fraley unless we draft the best center in second round....even then we don't release him...ludicris
He got pushed around all year. Hadnot could do a hell of a better job getting to the second level on runs and sealing the gap on run plays. He also would do a better pass blocking. Fraley got tossed around lake a rag doll in some games. His best years have passed him by. But, if his contract is cap friendly, they probably keep him for depth.
If he's the starter in 2009 our inside run game gets shut down again and Quinn better learn to roll out. Teams will bring the rush right up the middle.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login