NFL Draft, Quarterbacks, November Edition
-
- If you ask five different NFL execs, you might get five different answers to the question: who is the top senior quarterback prospect in the 2014 class? Over the summer, I narrowed my list to three names: Clemson's Tajh Boyd, LSU's Zach Mettenberger and Fresno State'sDerek Carr. And after 10 weeks of college football and hours of tape study, I find myself leaning more and more towards Carr as the top senior at his position.
If you're looking for a technically-sound passer with flawless footwork who stands in the face of pressure, then Carr likely isn't your guy. But if you want a quarterback with a golden arm, quick release and the appetite for football, then Carr will grow on you the more you watch him, much like Matthew Stafford from the 2009 draft class. He definitely has some bad habits with his set up and overall pocket tolerance, but he plays with energy, improves the play of his teammates and makes NFL throw after NFL throw. Not only is he a strong candidate to be the top senior quarterback drafted, but the top-10 is a real possibility.- Dane Brugler, CBS, Today
... Carr will grow on you the more you watch him, much like Matthew Stafford from the 2009 draft class. He definitely has some bad habits with his set up and overall pocket tolerance...
- Dane Brugler, CBS, Today
1. I am not a Stafford fan... so there's that.
2. I would never take a QB in the first round that "has some bad habits". Just a recipe for disaster. I know opinions of Timmah Couch vary 'round here, but I knew we were in trouble when Palmer said, "We just have to imrpove his throwing motion."
-
... Carr will grow on you the more you watch him, much like Matthew Stafford from the 2009 draft class. He definitely has some bad habits with his set up and overall pocket tolerance...
- Dane Brugler, CBS, Today
1. I am not a Stafford fan... so there's that.
2. I would never take a QB in the first round that "has some bad habits". Just a recipe for disaster. I know opinions of Timmah Couch vary 'round here, but I knew we were in trouble when Palmer said, "We just have to imrpove his throwing motion."
1. I am not a Stafford fan... so there's that.
2. I would never take a QB in the first round that "has some bad habits". Just a recipe for disaster. I know opinions of Timmah Couch vary 'round here, but I knew we were in trouble when Palmer said, "We just have to imrpove his throwing motion."
You have to wonder with 20\20 hindsight why the Departed Walrus wanted Wee-Done in the first round- when the book on him was "caves in under pressure."
-
That's the point: Carr does NOT cave under pressure and he can extend plays (great wheels). He needs a little refinement but we're not really using the word "raw" here because he isn't.
The Browns, with Campbell or Hoyer or both, are the ideal situation. He's younger with way more upside than either but you have time to get him the highest level pro coaching (Norv and Chud) before you have to start him.
I hope that was a typo, whoever said we should draft defensive players. You gonna bench guys giving up the lowest YPA in the NFL? The 4th lowest YPC? Seriously?
Who, exactly, do you intend to sit? The only thing we need to do on that side of the ball is add a corner with size (maybe round 3 or f/a) and perhaps someone to develop at ILB (again, round 3 or f/a). I could see another safety, maybe early round 4, but we're set with starters at all 11 positions and some.
This team will be focusing on getting the offense right. We'll certainly add a back (I love Carlos Hyde, complements Dion Lewis and Obie so well) and maybe another TE (love the Texas Tech kid). The sure thing is a long-term quarterback.
-
What I'm loving is, when you look at the priorities, holes in the team, you don't have a massive list:
Must get: QB, WR, RB
Cover/rotation needed: OG, ILB, TE
If you look at us covering a couple of those with FA, then the draft becomes a lot clearer. We can package picks to either move up in the first round, or maybe two 4th rounders to move in to the second, a third and a 5th, a third and a 6th to get in to the second round. Then you have two firsts and three seconds, plus whatever you didn't package, late round garbage, to get the positions you need.
-
-
Every defensive position is about coverage now, including ILB. Trevathon goes 2nd round now that everybody woke up. That's exactly what Robertson does because he's quick and fast, just learning a little still. REALLY tough to draft a guy who's actually gonna play better real Sunday football than him.
We don't need a lot. Those 10 picks will turn into 6 higher ones. Bet on it. And a few serious f/a adds. Maybe 5 starter or rotation guys total... and they can all be from the top of the barrel. I'd say QB, RB, WR, TE, OL... uhhhhhhhh... someone in the DB? A developmental ILB? That'd be my top 7 with a few of those really depth.
Priorities are QB and RB.
-
Too bad he chose to play for Fresno, otherwise his stock would likely be much higher.
-
Didn't we just trade a RB?
Aren't we undefeated with QBs not named Wheezy?

Love our D, but we are a good D, not a dominant one. We are not turning the ball over. I still think we have to improve up the middle.
- Love Big Phil at NT and Hughes is a nice rotation guy.
- We need an impact ILB.
- TJ is playing great... against the run.
- We can upgrade the FS position.
- Ditto our CB position.
O side...
- I'm still not in the 1st round camp for QB. (McCarron in 3 works for me)
- Barring any massive increase in consistency, WR is a priority. (Still an Abbrederis fan)
- And yes, we need a RB... or two (maybe Hyde, but Sims (WVa) or White (Wis) work for me)
- I think RT is an issue (I know no shot at Jake, but Henderson (Mia) looks promising)
- Internal line needs quality depth.
Here's the thing as I see it...
We are in a great situation to take BPA's throughout the draft. Even if a BPA turns out to be a redundant DE that upgrades the position, we could live with that.
And we can trade away excess picks to stock pile future draft picks. Doing so ensures our relevance for years to come.
We do not need to roll the dice and go All-in for any one player.
-
The Tennessee LB reminds me of Ray Lewis. Projected first round.
Weaker in pass coverage but is a hard hitter, fiery and fast.
Hmmm. Our weakness there has been in coverage - DQJ is a tackling machine and Robertson looks good in the tackle. It'd be nice to have extra depth, but for a starter we'd need someone with coverage skills.
-
New CBS mock. Brugler has the Browns taking Carr over Manziel.
-
This Oregon kid seems like a sally.
I'll pass.
-
This Oregon kid seems like a sally.
I'll pass.
This Oregon kid seems like a sally.
I'll pass.
Indeed, Mariota did neither his Heisman trophy candidacy nor his draft rating any good last night. He was highly inaccurate with the pressure that Stanford was putting on him. He is still clearly a prospect....but a can't miss no brainer? Ah....No
-
i think draft a QB with our second first rounder is looking like it might just suit us fine next year. get another defensive player of their choice with the first first rounder.
-
I do think the talent in the draft would allow us to pick a QB with our second 1st rounder but I don't believe the FO will wait that long to draft someone.
I think in order for us to wait on a QB someone too good to pass up would have to fall to us. Not sure who would qualify as a top talent falling to us, maybe Clowney but even he has had his issues with motivation.
-
Carr had another amazing day yesterday with 4 more TDs and 0 INTs, looked excellent doing it, made several "whoa" NFL throws. He has a ton of experience and his numbers over his career are beyond ridiculous. I think he's at 32/4 this year and 37/7 last year. As Sobo said, he's now being talked about as a "day one starter," like Bridgewater, and that increases your stock. He's making calls at the line, etc.
Manziel went off again yesterday with like 470 yards and 5 TDs and is the only QB capable of shredding Alabama... but he's a touch reckless and needs to get a little stronger. In many ways, it would make him the ideal pick to sit behind Hoyer for a year, get physically stronger, etc. As someone else pointed out, he's only 20, like Rodgers was.
On the OBR draft board, which some freaky draftnicks, the favorite at 16-ish is Brett Hundley because of his off the charts physical upside and the luxury to get fine tuned before he takes over. He's rebounded well from the bad Stanford game.
It's a broad net, but as of today, I'd expect one of those three to be the Browns first pick. Question is whether they have to move up to get the guy they want. Teams rarely take what the draft drops to them at the most important position.
-
No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.
No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.
Kenny Guiton, really? This is not the Buckeyes of old, they do not run a pro style offense anymore. As good as Guiton looks in Meyer's O forget him in the NFL. We need to draft a pro style QB.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
