Skip to content

NFL Draft, Quarterbacks, November Edition

The Browns Board
43 21 1.5k
  • Didn't we just trade a RB?

    Aren't we undefeated with QBs not named Wheezy?

    🙂

    Love our D, but we are a good D, not a dominant one. We are not turning the ball over. I still think we have to improve up the middle.

    • Love Big Phil at NT and Hughes is a nice rotation guy.
    • We need an impact ILB.
    • TJ is playing great... against the run.
    • We can upgrade the FS position.
    • Ditto our CB position.

    O side...

    • I'm still not in the 1st round camp for QB. (McCarron in 3 works for me)
    • Barring any massive increase in consistency, WR is a priority. (Still an Abbrederis fan)
    • And yes, we need a RB... or two (maybe Hyde, but Sims (WVa) or White (Wis) work for me)
    • I think RT is an issue (I know no shot at Jake, but Henderson (Mia) looks promising)
    • Internal line needs quality depth.

    Here's the thing as I see it...

    We are in a great situation to take BPA's throughout the draft. Even if a BPA turns out to be a redundant DE that upgrades the position, we could live with that.

    And we can trade away excess picks to stock pile future draft picks. Doing so ensures our relevance for years to come.

    We do not need to roll the dice and go All-in for any one player.

  • @gftchris said:

    There aren't really any blue chip ILBs in this draft though 🙁

    The Tennessee LB reminds me of Ray Lewis. Projected first round.

    Weaker in pass coverage but is a hard hitter, fiery and fast.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The Tennessee LB reminds me of Ray Lewis. Projected first round.

    Weaker in pass coverage but is a hard hitter, fiery and fast.

    Hmmm. Our weakness there has been in coverage - DQJ is a tackling machine and Robertson looks good in the tackle. It'd be nice to have extra depth, but for a starter we'd need someone with coverage skills.

  • New CBS mock. Brugler has the Browns taking Carr over Manziel.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

  • That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back.

    Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks.

    Z

  • By all means please steer away from any QB Shep is backing...He sucks as a QB evaluator...Next...

  • This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

    I'll pass.

  • This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

    I'll pass.

    @majorbriggs said:

    This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

    I'll pass.

    Indeed, Mariota did neither his Heisman trophy candidacy nor his draft rating any good last night. He was highly inaccurate with the pressure that Stanford was putting on him. He is still clearly a prospect....but a can't miss no brainer? Ah....No

  • He didn't help himself much. Bryce Petty did. The ebbs and flows of the draft, especially at QB!

  • i think draft a QB with our second first rounder is looking like it might just suit us fine next year. get another defensive player of their choice with the first first rounder.

  • I do think the talent in the draft would allow us to pick a QB with our second 1st rounder but I don't believe the FO will wait that long to draft someone.

    I think in order for us to wait on a QB someone too good to pass up would have to fall to us. Not sure who would qualify as a top talent falling to us, maybe Clowney but even he has had his issues with motivation.

  • Carr had another amazing day yesterday with 4 more TDs and 0 INTs, looked excellent doing it, made several "whoa" NFL throws. He has a ton of experience and his numbers over his career are beyond ridiculous. I think he's at 32/4 this year and 37/7 last year. As Sobo said, he's now being talked about as a "day one starter," like Bridgewater, and that increases your stock. He's making calls at the line, etc.

    Manziel went off again yesterday with like 470 yards and 5 TDs and is the only QB capable of shredding Alabama... but he's a touch reckless and needs to get a little stronger. In many ways, it would make him the ideal pick to sit behind Hoyer for a year, get physically stronger, etc. As someone else pointed out, he's only 20, like Rodgers was.

    On the OBR draft board, which some freaky draftnicks, the favorite at 16-ish is Brett Hundley because of his off the charts physical upside and the luxury to get fine tuned before he takes over. He's rebounded well from the bad Stanford game.

    It's a broad net, but as of today, I'd expect one of those three to be the Browns first pick. Question is whether they have to move up to get the guy they want. Teams rarely take what the draft drops to them at the most important position.

  • No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

    @cdl15 said:

    No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

    Kenny Guiton, really? This is not the Buckeyes of old, they do not run a pro style offense anymore. As good as Guiton looks in Meyer's O forget him in the NFL. We need to draft a pro style QB.

  • I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

  • I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

    @shep said:

    I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

    From what I've read about Hundley he has the arm strength, size, mobility etc, and is a project QB. I can only assume, then, that the project is developing his mental game. After seeing Brandon Weeden fail to develop mentally, I'm a little skeptical about that kind of project, rightly or wrongly.

  • I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

  • I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

    @shep said:

    I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

    He's way too inconsistent. Browns FO better stay away.

  • I've said it before & I'll say it again...There isn't a slam dunk number ONE QB in this draft & I just hope & pray we don't trade up to take one of 'em.

    I'll trust this FO to use our picks wisely.

    Mike

  • Good stuff from the PD. Carr makes the top five. I expect him in the top four soon.

    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/11/2013_college_quarterback_repor_2.html

  • I like the idea of Manziel and sitting him a year or two to gain some extra strength and learn the game.

  • That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back.

    Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    "That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back. Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks."

    Remember the 'good old days', Zombo, when Browns fans actually talked about THE CURRENT NFL season rather than the 'what ifs' down the road?

    It's been a long, long time and dozens of top of the draft picks have been flushed down the toilet.

    What is the curse and why was it administered?