Skip to content

NFL Draft, Quarterbacks, November Edition

The Browns Board
43 21 1.5k
  • He didn't help himself much. Bryce Petty did. The ebbs and flows of the draft, especially at QB!

  • i think draft a QB with our second first rounder is looking like it might just suit us fine next year. get another defensive player of their choice with the first first rounder.

  • I do think the talent in the draft would allow us to pick a QB with our second 1st rounder but I don't believe the FO will wait that long to draft someone.

    I think in order for us to wait on a QB someone too good to pass up would have to fall to us. Not sure who would qualify as a top talent falling to us, maybe Clowney but even he has had his issues with motivation.

  • Carr had another amazing day yesterday with 4 more TDs and 0 INTs, looked excellent doing it, made several "whoa" NFL throws. He has a ton of experience and his numbers over his career are beyond ridiculous. I think he's at 32/4 this year and 37/7 last year. As Sobo said, he's now being talked about as a "day one starter," like Bridgewater, and that increases your stock. He's making calls at the line, etc.

    Manziel went off again yesterday with like 470 yards and 5 TDs and is the only QB capable of shredding Alabama... but he's a touch reckless and needs to get a little stronger. In many ways, it would make him the ideal pick to sit behind Hoyer for a year, get physically stronger, etc. As someone else pointed out, he's only 20, like Rodgers was.

    On the OBR draft board, which some freaky draftnicks, the favorite at 16-ish is Brett Hundley because of his off the charts physical upside and the luxury to get fine tuned before he takes over. He's rebounded well from the bad Stanford game.

    It's a broad net, but as of today, I'd expect one of those three to be the Browns first pick. Question is whether they have to move up to get the guy they want. Teams rarely take what the draft drops to them at the most important position.

  • No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

    @cdl15 said:

    No. I would be happy if the browns drafted two defensive players with the First round picks. Qb can be taken with the later round picks with the emergence of Campbell to start and hoyer to be a backup. A true project qb would be what this team needs. A Kenny guiton would be nice for starters. Spend some FA money on offensive players like RB and Lineman. We don't need to get much younger on the offense we need leaders.

    Kenny Guiton, really? This is not the Buckeyes of old, they do not run a pro style offense anymore. As good as Guiton looks in Meyer's O forget him in the NFL. We need to draft a pro style QB.

  • I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

  • I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

    @shep said:

    I didn't comment on that. The Browns pick won't be Guiton. If they want upside to develop, think Brett Hundley.

    From what I've read about Hundley he has the arm strength, size, mobility etc, and is a project QB. I can only assume, then, that the project is developing his mental game. After seeing Brandon Weeden fail to develop mentally, I'm a little skeptical about that kind of project, rightly or wrongly.

  • I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

  • I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

    @shep said:

    I'd like to get some clarity on Hundley's, uh... clarity of mind. I read one blurb that said his intelligence is in question, then saw him interviewed and he seems like a very sharp guy. He has a lot of Cam Newton to him, without the diva personality.

    Watching him a lot, it is irritating that one day he looks like a possible top 2 or 3 pick... another you see him early in round 2 and think he's "raw."

    He's way too inconsistent. Browns FO better stay away.

  • I've said it before & I'll say it again...There isn't a slam dunk number ONE QB in this draft & I just hope & pray we don't trade up to take one of 'em.

    I'll trust this FO to use our picks wisely.

    Mike

  • Good stuff from the PD. Carr makes the top five. I expect him in the top four soon.

    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/11/2013_college_quarterback_repor_2.html

  • I like the idea of Manziel and sitting him a year or two to gain some extra strength and learn the game.

  • That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back.

    Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    "That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back. Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks."

    Remember the 'good old days', Zombo, when Browns fans actually talked about THE CURRENT NFL season rather than the 'what ifs' down the road?

    It's been a long, long time and dozens of top of the draft picks have been flushed down the toilet.

    What is the curse and why was it administered?

  • Just watched Alo's cut-up of Carr V. Wyoming at Draft Breakdown. A few things:

    1. Very quick release, throws with serious RPMs. Spins it.

    2. 3/4 release, similar to a lot of NFL QBs.

    3. VERY athletic and nimble, throws great on the run.

    4. Keeps plays alive and eyes downfield.

    He can absolutely run some RO for Chud. I think he's my favorite right now (among the guys we can get to). He's kind of a bigger, faster, stronger-armed Brian Hoyer, but some of what he does looks similar. They'd go well together as mentor and protege', I think.

  • Zombo said:

    "That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back. Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks."

    Remember the 'good old days', Zombo, when Browns fans actually talked about THE CURRENT NFL season rather than the 'what ifs' down the road?

    It's been a long, long time and dozens of top of the draft picks have been flushed down the toilet.

    What is the curse and why was it administered?

    @chicopee-john said:

    Zombo said:

    "That link has us taking Sammy Watkins and a running back. Maybe they've watched Campbell the past two weeks."

    Remember the 'good old days', Zombo, when Browns fans actually talked about THE CURRENT NFL season rather than the 'what ifs' down the road?

    It's been a long, long time and dozens of top of the draft picks have been flushed down the toilet.

    What is the curse and why was it administered?

    Good to see you peeking your head in, Professor.

    We are 1/3 of the way to removing said curse.

    We beat Baltimore.

    Now if we beat Cincy and Pittsburgh we will be in first place at 6-5 we will roll.

    I've always said we need to draft smarter, not higher.

    Winning breeds winning.

    I think this admin gets it, Johnny, stay tuned ...

    Zombo

  • I think it's possible to talk about the current season and upcoming game against the Bengals... and imagine what we'll do in an offseason so loaded with draft picks and cash. Hell, it's fun to look even farther down the line, with new uniforms and a legit franchise quarterback playing in an overhauled stadium. Free agents who put the Browns at the top of their list.

    We might get to enjoy a long run of Browns success. Damn. I shouldn't have written that.

  • Fresh CBS mocks, both guys have Johnny going 5th to the Vikings. He's rocketing up. One has Carr to the Browns, another has them waiting until 25 to take Mettenberger (wouldn't love that). Both have the Browns taking a QB and WR in round one. Both have Carr in round one now.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

  • This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

    I'll pass.

    @majorbriggs said:

    This Oregon kid seems like a sally.

    I'll pass.

    You're a daisy if you do.

  • Fresh CBS mocks, both guys have Johnny going 5th to the Vikings. He's rocketing up. One has Carr to the Browns, another has them waiting until 25 to take Mettenberger (wouldn't love that). Both have the Browns taking a QB and WR in round one. Both have Carr in round one now.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

    @shep said:

    Fresh CBS mocks, both guys have Johnny going 5th to the Vikings. He's rocketing up. One has Carr to the Browns, another has them waiting until 25 to take Mettenberger (wouldn't love that). Both have the Browns taking a QB and WR in round one. Both have Carr in round one now.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

    Sammy Watkins or Allen Robinson could be a good picks.

    Does the David Carr experience put anyone off of the potential of going for Derek Carr? (These guys must be at least 12 years apart in age.)

    If Buffalo needs an OLB, then Khalil Mack would be a natural for them. IMO Browns could use an ILB....but apparently none are rated high enough to go first round?

  • Not amongst the Sr's so depends on which ILBs declare, GIP.

    Tennesee's A.J. Johnson is a highly regarded Jr. He's 6'2 - 243 and 4.8-ish fast.

    As for Carr... no, being David's little bro doesn't DQ him. David actually had a chance to be a good NFL QB, but he was so sorely abused behind the expansion Texans' porous O-line.

    What should at least should give folks pause on Derek is that he posts big numbers against weak competition. Against quality teams he's like 0 for his career. Much was made of his beating Boise St. for the first time this year. Of course it turns out Boise St. (6-3) has slumped a little in 2013.

    I've only seen one of his games this year, the Boise St. victory. He has a chance of being good, but is still an undisciplined wild card. I need to see more of him.